One.

Tell Me, What Is Love?

“Whatever it is, I’m not going to do this.” Bomi said sternly as her eyes were shifted on the guy in front of her. The guy let out a heavy sigh, his hand quickly massaged his own temple as he tried to find a solution to their problems. A super big problem — Arranged marriage.


“Then what should we do then?” The guy muttered as he pushed the bridge of his spectacles to his nose. Seriously, just because of this he need to cancel of his appoinments today so that he could have a discussion about this matter. But then he didn’t expect that the female in front of him would have the idea about rebelling the decision — their parents’ decision.


“Oh come on, both of us are still young. And we don’t even know each other well.” The guy faked a cough as he listened to Bomi’s last remarks. “Correction, we’re in the same high school — classmates, members of the same club and important persons of the student council.” Bomi rolled her eyes. “That doesn’t even count.
“What do you mean by that?” He narrowed his eyes towards Bomi. Damn, he won it again. Like always, eversince they’re in high school. It’s always him to be the one who pushed her into the second place which makes her felt annoyed with him — and even declared him as her enemy quietly.


“Fine. We knew each other well, and we always competed with each other — and you’re the who’ll always win. Well, I really hate that for your information. But being dragged in this kind of arranged marriage with you is totally uncool,”


“That’s totally right. I couldn’t even bear myself to have a chatty and annoying wife like you,” He snickered sarcastically. Bomi clasped her lips angrily. How can she get married with a cold-hearted man like the guy in front of her? Seriously, her mom and dad should think twice.


“So that’s why we should cancel it. Are you with me?” Bomi said as she eyed him. The guy stared away, looking like as if he’s in a deep thinking — as if he’s making the most important decision for the rest of his life. Bomi waited nervously for the answer, hoping that the guy would agree. No, she didn’t want to risk her life being a wife of a very uncool man, nerd and so on. It’s suffocating.


After for a while, he turned back to her with a serious gaze on his face. It’s a big decision to be done yet he’ll not regret it — well for some reason, he’ll not.

“No. I’m not. We’re getting married, that’s it.”

 

Bomi’s jaw dropped as she heard his answer, probably the most ridiculous one for her. Did he just said that he didn’t want to cancel the marriage? Or it’s just her imagination?


“Man, I think that I should take some medicine because my hearing sense seems like to have a problem.” Bomi muttered unbelievably. The guy chuckled lightly.
“As a good doctor, I don’t think that you’re having any problem with your hearing, Miss Yoon. You’re totally fine and probably heard it clearly about what I just said.” Bomi finally lost it. What even makes this guy to proceed with this ridiculous marriage thingy? She didn’t understand it like seriously — she can’t understand him.
“I’m sorry, Dr. Do Kyungsoo but I’m really against it. I’m not going to marry you.” She said in such a confident tone. Kyungsoo drew a little smirk on his face. Well, he already expect her to respond like that; It’s Yoon Bomi, the most stubborn one.


    “Gosh! I can’t do this anymore!” She said, putting up both her hands. Right, she’s going insane right now. She need to find a way so that she could make him to consider the plan to cancel the marriage.


    “Our discussion ended here, I guess.” She said coldly after she took the last sip of her lemon tea. It didn’t took long for her to stood up from her place and stomped away angrily, with devastating expression on her face. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile as the female left him alone with his half-cold green tea. He gently took a sip of it, trying to feel the green tea’s flavour on his tounge. Ah, it’s such a healing time for him though after a very busy day. Thank goodness that Bomi called him and asked him to come so that they could have a discussion about their arranged marriage — well, at least he could use that as an excuse to escape himself from the Emergency Department. It’s such a fortunate thing to have his collague, Dr. Kim to take his place for a while.


    He let out a heavy sigh. His mind was totally full of the thought about his arranged marriage with Bomi. Sighs. He didn’t even know why he didn’t want to cancel it. For some reason, he supported his parents’ decision for him to marry Bomi. Probably because he’s not that good in finding any girl for himself — girls are such a complicated creature. You can’t never figure out what they’re thinking of or what they’re going to respond towards things.


    “Yoon Bomi.” The name escaped his lips. He let out a soft chuckle as it feels funny. It’s funny to now that the person that he’s going to marry is Yoon Bomi. Yes, it’s true. Both of them enrolled in the same high school and were involved in so many organisations together. Well, in fact they’re the top student in their year — but it’s always him who got the first place and her was pushed into the second place. Maybe that’s why she felt super annoyed with him. They won’t talk to each other, except for the school stuffs — like the group discussions and student council meetings. Apart from that, they’re totally strangers toward each other. Until that day came;

 

    “This is the first time that all of Yoon and Do family gathered together am I right?” Mr. Yoon who is also known as Bomi’s father started his speech before the dinner. Yes, indeed. Kyungsoo knew that both of his parents and the Yoons were in the good term and thanks to their corporation partnership. Thank goodness, he managed to attend this dinner without any problems or emergency calls. And there, he saw his former schoolmate; Yoon Bomi. Being the youngest child of Yoon family makes her to always potrayed a good attitude of herself. Actually, he was still confused about being invited to this kind of dinner. Of course, it was supposed to be a dinner between the representive of the Yoon Corporation and Do Corporation. He didn’t have any idea about why he’s invited here. As for Bomi, it’s quite logic for her to be here since she’s working as the Director at her father’s company. He didn’t expect anything until — Mr. Yoon’s ending speech surprised him, including her daughter, Bomi.

 

    “And as for tonight. I’m totally glad to inform the happy news to both of the family. Our youngest child, Yoon Bomi will be going to marry the second son of Do family, Do Kyungsoo.”

 

    Kyungsoo only stayed still, as his eyes blinked for continous times. Did he just heard something wrong? As for Bomi, of course; She’s a stubborn person in real life. “Dad, what is this?” She voiced out loud which caused Mr. Yoon to throw a ‘mind-your-attitude’ look towards her — well thank goodness because at least she let to shut up  before any inappropiate words escaped from her lips. Kyungsoo didn’t know how to respond, despite of his confusion he just kept quiet and wait for the further explanation — it’s his father’s turn to give out his speech. Silently, he was praying that all of these were only playful pranks from their parents but then this seems so impossible.

 

    “As both of us already decided, we’re going to have our children to get married to each other. And the marriage will be on few months later. I hope that our son, Kyungsoo and your daughter,  Bomi could be well to each other and prepared themselves to be a good husband and wife. It’s such an honour for us to have the Yoons as our in-laws. And with this, I hope that our partnership will last forever.”


    Well, that’s makes everything turns out clear. It’s because of the partnerships. Sighs, the crucial reality of the corporation world. Kyungsoo couldn’t say a thing, he glanced towards his mom who’s enjoying the last speech of his dad. Why must he’s being included here?


    Sound of the chair moving made him to glance at Bomi. A devastating look and angry look were plastered on her face. “I’m sorry, I need to excuse myself.” She said, not waiting for the elders to give her the permission for her to do so. Well, that might be considered as rude but since the elders were enjoying the sudden marriage news, they didn’t seem to really care about it. After all, Bomi should act like that. Because she’s Yoon Bomi. She needs time to digest all of the things that just happened. That’s her way.


    “Son, you’re going to make us proud aren’t you?” His mom turned to him with a happy smile on her face. It was as if everything will be real soon. And seeing his mom’s happy face, he didn’t have a gut to even say no. Of course, being a good son and the most obedient one he was, he’ll always try his best to say yes eventhough he didn’t want. “Yes. I will mom.” His mom hugged him with a blessed feelings. Yeah, they should feel blessed to have an obedient son like Kyungsoo who’s willing to follow any of their decision; including the most ridiculous one — the arranged marriage.

 

    “.” She cursed as she stepped into her bedroom and the door was slammed loudly. Yes, she’s mad right now; Mad with herself and everyone. A soft hiss escaped her lips as he threw herself on her queen-sized bed. Her mind was totally in mess right now. Real big mess.


    Bomi was totally blank about everything and she couldn’t even think right. Everything happened just too fast which she couldn’t brace herself to think. Crap, her problem is totally the big one and the most terrifying one. Marrying Do Kyungsoo? Truely a thing that she could never imagine — and she would never ask for it.


    Sighs. This feels so surreal. Did she just having a nightmare right now? A nightmare that would probably haunt her for the rest of her life. Oh come on, it’s a yes that Do Kyungsoo is a nice guy but — it’s just that she’s still hate him a bit because of their competition during their high school days where he would be the one who won everything and Bomi just fated to be the one who’s holding the ‘second place’ title. And she would remember it forever; The pain of losing to someone named Do Kyungsoo.

 

    “No. I’m not. We’re getting married, that’s it.”

 

    Kyungsoo’s answer earlier kept haunting her mind. Like seriously was he out of his mind? He knew it well that both of them could never — tolerate with each other and to think that they could live together peacefully is a real big NO. It’s impossible. Marriage was supposed to happen when there’s a pure love between the male and female. How would they get married if they didn’t love each other at all? It’s totally insane. Bomi couldn’t think about how miserable her life will be. She didn’t know if Kyungsoo would the same thought with her but assuming to his answer earlier he seems serious. And one thing that she knew about Do Kyungsoo — once he said it, he’s going to do it.


    How she wish that she could do something to stop all of these insanity. Like seriously, it’s her life and she’s the one who was supposed to make the decision. Because it’s her life. Not her parents’. But maybe that’s how their life supposed to be. Everything should be arranged from the start.


    “Face it, Yoon Bomi. There’s no way out. You’re going to marry Do Kyungsoo, no exception. Maybe it’s already fated.” A heavy sigh escaped from her lips once again. It’s really such a burden. Their marriage is just another survival game in the corporation world. Yes, it’s already been 5 years since she involved herself in business. As the director at her father’s company, Bomi did learnt alot of things about the corporation world and she also discovered some cruel realities in it — there’s too many things that you can never expect. Tsk. Apart from that, Kyungsoo is lucky that his parents allow him to live his life by his own way — well except for the marriage stuffs. Being a smart kid since he was born he was capable of everything. She expected him to take over his parents’ company but then he chose the different path by going to the medical school — yes, he’s currently working as a doctor right now. The thing that she could never imagine. Yeah, at least his parents gave him some space so that he could make his own decision; That’s already more than enough to her.


    “Tch. Lucky Do Kyungsoo. Like seriously, you always be the one who’ll get everything in the end,” Of course, Bomi envied him. She envy him because he had a better life. She envy him because he at least could follow his own passion. She envy him for everything he got. Maybe he’s just lucky. Being the second son in the family won’t be a big burden though — unlike her. She’s the youngest among her three siblings. And she needs to prove that she is better than her elder brother and sister. In no matter what.


    “Right. You’re Yoon Bomi. You gotta be strong.” Bomi trying to put up a positive thought in her mind. Marriage is not a big deal, right? Okay, that’s such a white lie. Marriage a very serious problem. It’s not a game — it’s about your life. Bomi can’t help it as she cursed herself silently once again. Oh god, why must those unfortunate things kept happening to her since she knew that super nerdy and sociopath, jerkster guy; Do Kyungsoo. Well, he’s not that bad. It’s just her who’ve been feeling so annoyed with him.


    “Face it, Yoon Bomi. You could never run. It’s fated okay, you and him.” She muttered to herself, sounding so pathetic. Tch, her life is so pathetic. Without her realize, her eyes slowly closed and sound of soft snoring could be heard. Oh boy, someone please tell her that all of these are just bad dreams and nightmare. Please wake her up, like seriously. Her nightmares — the arranged marriage, the cruelty in corporation world and... Do Kyungsoo.

 

    “Hey,”

    A male voice greeted him, bringing him back to the reality. Ah, he just wasted few seconds of his break time thinking about the most complicated thing that ever happened in her life. The thing that he could not even solve and it’s so complicated. He turned to the person who greeted him earlier with a thin smile on his lips. “Ah, Professor Jo.”


    “Can I have a seat?”


    “Sure you can,”


    The elder took the seat in front of him. And for some reason it makes Kyungsoo felt quite relieved to have someone keeping him a company during his break. His other collagues still got so many tasks that should be done, and that’s why they needed to skip their break. Thank goodness, he really need a break, after all of the shocking news he found that his focus seems quite distracted.


    “How’s your day today, Professor?” A random question escaped from his lips, making the elder to let out a soft chuckle. “Well, quite hectic Dr. Do. Too many patients to be managed yet thank goodness that the new housemen made a good job,”


    Silence occured between them for a while as Kyungsoo nervously lingered his fingers around the coffee cup. Sighs, too many things that he needs to think of. His spectacles were put away, so he might couldn’t see things from far well.


    “Let me ask you Dr. Do, from my observation.. You seems quite distracted lately. Is there anything wrong?” Professor Jo said, breaking the ice between them. Kyungsoo clasped his lips nervously, didn’t sure what kid of answer should he give to the elder. It’s really complicated. But then Professor Jo might be a help since he’s already a married man — yeah, the tips in marriage perhaps.


    “Well, it’s just that..” Kyungsoo paused for a while, still not sure of he should tell the truth. “I’m getting married,” Finally he said it. Kyungsoo just stared at Professor Jo who’s raising his brows as soon as he heard what Kyungsoo just said. A warm smile was plastered on the elder’s lips, as his hand gently left a pat on his shoulder. “Congratulations, then. Wow, you’re still young but you’re getting married so soon,” Kyungsoo awkwardly smiled upon Professor Jo’s words. Yeah, too young to even get married. The truth was he’s still not ready for it. So does his future-bride. Both of them were still not ready. Damn serious.


    “This should be a big news. Have you already told the other departments about this?” Professor Jo said, shifting his eyes on Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo lightly shook off his head as he stared at the elder back, “Not yet. It’s okay, I’ll tell everyone later after everything is confirmed.”


    “What do you mean by ‘after everything is confirmed’? I sensed something that’s quite not right here. Is there any problems about the marriage?” Kyungsoo could see few wrinkles were drawn on Professor Jo’s forehead. He must be confused. After for a while, Kyungsoo decided to tell everything to Professor Jo. Since they’re quite close and Professor Jo would always be the one that he’d ask for help. By the way, he’s a senior and he probably knew more about this matter.


    “Hmm..” Professor Jo hummed as his fingers lingered at his chin. A serious expression was plastered on his face which makes Kyungsoo felt quite curious about what he thought about his problem.


    “Well..” The elder started. “It’s a serious matter then if both of you were still not ready and.. You guys didn’t really fell in love with each other.”
    “Correction. We’re not even in love. The marriage was arranged by our parents and we just followed it.” Kyungsoo corrected. Kyungsoo bit his lips nervously as Professor Jo was drowned in a deep thinking. Wow, he didn’t even expect that Professor Jo would think about his problem seriously.


    “Obeying your parents’ wish is definitely a good thing but then how about your heart? Are you okay with it? Marriage is not an easy matter. It’s such a big thing, you know.” His last words made Kyungsoo to think alot. Yeah, it’s indeed true that marriage is a ‘big thing’ but then he had no choice. It’s just that the thing that makes Kyungsoo to agree was his parents’ plead and because the girl is Yoon Bomi, not anyone else. He didn’t even know why. It’s probably because Bomi and him knew each other eventhough both of them were not that close. No, they’re not close or even friends. Both them see themselves as competitiors — but he knew that in the end, he would always win.


    Seeing the younger one being immersed in silence, the elder added, “But still, love is something that you can try to find.” Kyungsoo looked at Professor Jo with a clueless expression on his face as he didn’t understand. Professor Jo shook off his head with a light chuckle. In his mind, he probably having a thought that youngsters nowdays is totally unaware with the real definition of love. They didn’t know how hard the world is — but as for Kyungsoo, he knew that the younger guy is just confused.
  

 “In earlier stage, it might be quite hard and tense — but in marriage you will find a way about how to tolerate with each other and care about each other. That’s how the love will spark. By showing the affection, you’ll find yourself drowning in love.” Few lines of wrinkles were drawn on Kyungsoo’s forehead as he tried to understand with Professor Jo’s words. Wow, the elder is totally something. He should be a motivator for the marriage couple who’s having somekind of problems. Kyungsoo didn’t understand much but it does helps him. At least, Professor Jo’s words made him to be more confident with his decision.
    

“Wow, I got to admit that it sounds complicated to me somehow. Perhaps maybe because I never experienced it.” Kyungsoo sheepishly smiled as he scratched the back of his neck. Professor Jo threw him a warm smile and once again his hand reach for the younger’s shoulder, “You still have time Dr. Do. Open your heart abit and everything will be okay,” He left a pat on his shoulder.


    “Yes, I should try that. Anyway, thanks for your good wise words, Professor. It really encouraged me alot.”


    “It’s just a small matter. Young man like you should know how the relationship works and I’m glad to be a help for you. Whatever it is, I’m hoping the best for you Dr. Do.” He said, before he stood up from his seat. Seems like he’s going to leave.


    “I’m going to excuse myself first. Enjoy your break, Dr. Do.” Professor Jo said, bidding his goodbye before he left the cafeteria. Kyungsoo nodded along as his eyes followed the elder’s figure to the exit. Another heavy sigh left his lips. And he’s having alot of questions in his mind right now. Does the decision that he just made is correct? When he thought about it, he suddenly remembered that he declined Bomi’s proposal about canceling the marriage. For some reason he felt guilty towards the girl. Sighs. His hand slowly d the pocket of his white coat, taking out his handphone. He his lips nervously as he scrolled through the contact-list and as soon as he found the caller ID named ‘Yoon Bomi’ he stopped. He blankly stared at her number, still hesitating whether he should call her or not for their second meeting. He want to settle of this peacefully. Like Professor Jo said, both of them need to learn how to tolerate with each other. And that’s what Kyungsoo is going to do. They need to discuss peacefully, a discussion that would not include any sarcasms and argue. Tsk, that’s sounds impossible somehow because Yoon Bomi had this kind of short-temper while he’ll always be the one who stayed calm.


    “Alright. Let’s solve this.” He muttered under his breathe. At last, he finally decided to send her a text about their discussion. It’s better since he didn’t want to involve himself with any arguement with Bomi.
    

 

To: Yoon Bomi

Look, I’m sorry that I made my decision without thinking of you.
I mean, we should tolerate with each other well. So to solve this problem,
I want both of us to have another discussion. Let’s discuss this peacefully.
I know that marriage is not a game or even an easy thing but this is it.
It’s for our parents sake, right? So let’s solve this together peacefully.
Meet me at the last place we met this Saturday. I’m going to take a leave.
And.. I’m sorry once again. Thank you.

 

    Kyungsoo read his quite long text continuously, still hesitating to push off the ‘send’ button. Gosh, he really needs time to get over with all of this. Like seriously, he’s apologizing to her — well that’s how a gentleman should act right? After for a while, his thumb finally pushed the ‘send’ button confidently, disobeying his owner’s hesitation. Phew, but really for some reason Kyungsoo felt relieved. At least, he did something that really should be done. His wristwatch already showed the ’08:00’ digit. With a heavy sigh, he stood up from his seat, walking off through the exit. He got a patient to be treated and a problem to be solved. That’s how mess his mind was. Well, at least he could still cope with that well and he’s so professional in his work. He’s a doctor. A good doctor — and will also be a good husband too — perhaps.