His Cowardice

Skinny Love

“I knew it.” Jiyong said after the third ring. He chuckled thinking about seeing her in her sleeping state again. She looked cute while sleeping but he always whenever he catches her off guard.

 

He tried calling her to check if she was already awake but she wasn’t picking up, so he decided to go and wake her up himself. He entered the code of her apartment and quietly and carefully walked towards her room.

 

“What are you doing?” he heard from behind him, making him almost stumble on the small table with a vase on it.

 

“Oh jeez! You scared me noona!” Jiyong said holding his chest.

 

“Sorry.” Bom said nonchalantly and proceeded to the kitchen to drink water. “Chaerin’s still asleep.”

 

“I know. I was just gonna wake her up.” Jiyong said, smiling.

 

“Why?” Bom questioned. She was leaning on the kitchen island with a glass of water in hand.

 

Jiyong crooked his head to the left. “Huh?”

 

“Why are you doing all this, Ji? Is this just nothing to you? I mean, do you not really plan on doing anything? You know what I’m talking about. We’ve talked about this before and you told me it wasn’t the right time. That was 3 or 4 years ago, Ji. When will the right time be?”

 

“Noona…”

 

“Ji, I love you like a brother, you know that. We’re family. But Chae… she’s my sister. And I want what’s best for her. I can’t bet on something that’s not sure.” Bom frankly said.

 

Jiyong was just looking down the whole time. His noona was right. But what can he do? It really wasn’t the best time. They were too busy right now. Too busy to even consider anything. What he wants is to give all his time and attention to her but he can’t do that right now. He needs more time. Plus there was still someone else in the picture. He’s just not sure himself.

 

“Ji. I’m not telling you what to do or anything. I just wanna let you think well and deep about this. Go wake her up if you really want to.” Bom said and walked back to where she came from, probably the guest room.

 

Jiyong stared at Chaerin’s door for what felt like a long time. He looked at his watch. It was already 6:30. He sighed heavily and turned around, heading for the main door. With a heavy heart he opened it and with one last glance in the apartment, he walked out.

 

 

“Morning unnie.” Chaerin yawned as she walked passed by Bom who was in the living room watching a movie.

 

“Morning~”

 

“What time is it?” Chaerin asked after drinking water.

 

“It’s almost 9.”

 

“What?! Oh shoot!” Chaerin rushed to her room and immediately looked for her phone. She saw it blinking on the night table. She unlocked it and saw just one message.

 

Jingyo oppa

Good morning Chae, I’m sorry we can’t hang out today, I have a lot to do.

 

Chaerin frowned after reading the text. She was really looking forward to today but it seems like it wasn’t going to be a day she expected.

 

She walked out of her room and slumped down the couch beside Bom.

 

“What’s the matter?” Bom asked but she already knows the answer.

 

“Ji… nevermind. Nothing.” Chaerin said and gave a half hearted smile.

 

“Wanna go hang out with the girls?” Bom said and that made Chaerin smile. She nodded her head enthusiastically.

 

“Alright. Go get ready and I’ll text them.”

 

“You’re the best unnie!” Chaerin pecked Bom’s cheek and headed for her room to get ready.

 

 

“I thought you weren’t coming in.” TOP said as he sat down the couch in Jiyong’s studio.

 

“Who said that?”

 

“Youngbae.” TOP answered nonchalantly.

 

Jiyong just nodded his head and continued working.

 

“So…” TOP started as he put down his phone.

 

“What?”Jiyong answered still not taking his eyes off the computer.

 

“Are we gonna record?” TOP asked.

 

Jiyong looked back and saw that all the members were all there, looking at him. He didn’t even hear them arrive.

 

Jiyong sighed and nodded his head. “Alright. Daesung-ah, you go first.”

 

“Yes hyung.” Daesung smiled and entered the recording booth.

 

“Start from the bridge… 1 2 3…” Jiyong said and music played.

 

The rest followed swiftly one after the other.

 

“Alright. Stop. Good job guys.” Jiyong said when Youngbae finished his part.

 

“That’s it?” Seungri whispered to TOP. They finished earlier than usual and Jiyong wasn’t so strict today.

 

TOP shrugged his shoulders. “I guess.” He whispered back.

 

“Hyung, are we taking a break?” Daesung asked,

 

“No. we’re done for today. Let’s just continue on tomorrow.” Jiyong said sounding tired. “I’ll see you guys then.” He said, and that was like an indirect ‘get out now’.

 

But of course the ever to best friend Youngbae decided to stay. “I thought you were hanging out with Chaerin today.”

 

“Yeah… I thought so too.” Jiyong murmured and finally turned his chair around.

 

Youngbae almost cringed looking at Jiyong’s face. He had red eyes probably from looking at the computer the whole day and his hair was a complete mess.

 

“What happened?” Youngbae asked, getting comfortable on the couch. He felt like this would be a long conversation.

 

Jiyong leaned his head back on his chair and closed his eyes. “Nothing. Nothing happened. That’s the problem. I’m a coward, Bae. I’m a ing coward.” Jiyong said stressing on the word.

 

Youngbae shook his head. This was one of the times where Jiyong reevaluates his life but ends up still choosing wrong which is why he’s in this problem over and over again.

 

“Ji… I’m gonna tell you what I told you the last time. Just ing say it man. Say it to her and you’re problem will be over. I’m telling you its that easy—“

 

“It’s not that ing easy when I have to let go of another, Bae!!” Jiyong screamed in frustration.

 

“You know you just sounded like a real douchebag right now?” Youngbae said in disbelief.  “What the is wrong with you man?”

 

Jiyong sighed and laid his back on the chair trying to cool down.

 

“I mean, I just can’t break up with Kiko. She’s been beside me for 3 years man. She received a lot of hate because of me. I can’t just let her go.”

 

“But Chaerin has been there for you for twice that time.” Youngbae shook his head. “I really don’t know what’s going on in your mind, Kwon Jiyong. The answer’s right in front of your face but I guess you really are a coward.” Youngbae said and walked out leaving Jiyong more frustrated.

 

 

“How was school Minzy-ah?” Bom asked. They were in YG’s new restaurant.

 

“It’s great. I really missed going to class.” Minzy said happily.

 

“I don’t.” Bom said making the others chuckle.

 

“I heard your Drama with Seungyoon is doing really well unnie.” Minzy said to Dara and the older smiled brightly.

 

“It was a really great experience. Seungyoon’s a funny dongsaeng.” Dara said and started eating.

 

“Just a dongsaeng?” Chaerin teased.

 

“Yah! He’s too young for me!” Dara countered.

 

“Age is just a number babe.” Bom winked at her and Dara shook her head while chuckling.

 

“How ‘bout you Rinnie? You’re going back to the US again right?” Dara asked.

 

“Yeah. Tomorrow, actually.”

 

“But it’s like you just came here. “ Minzy whined. Chaerin chuckled and pinched her cheek.

 

“You’re too cute.”

 

The conversations kept going until it was time to go home. Chaerin really enjoyed the night with the girls and she’s regretful that they couldn’t do this often because of their own busy schedules. The four of them decided to go to their own homes to see their families but Chaerin decided to go to their dorm since no one would be in their house anyway, just the housekeeper.

 

She got ready for bed and went right in but before totally closing her eyes, she checked her phone. Nothing. She brushed off the hint of pain and closed her eyes.

 

 

She stiffened with eyes wide open as she felt arms hugging her from behind. “Don’t be afraid.” She heard the person say and as soon as he did, she relaxed. She inhaled his unmistakable scent with a mix of cigarettes and a bit of alcohol.

 

This wasn’t the first time this happened. Jiyong would often drop by her place or their dorm and cuddle like this. Chaerin feels guilty everytime it happens because she feels like they were cheating or disrespecting Kiko but what can she do if this is all she gets?

 

“Ji?” Chaerin said with a cracked voice.

 

“Hmm…” Jiyong replied and buried his face in Chaerin’s neck, inhaling her scent.

 

“What’re you doing? Are you drunk?” she asked and turned to face him. It was dark so she can’t really see his face that clearly.

 

“I’m not. It was just a shot or two.” He said still hugging her with her facing him. She held his face and frowned.

 

“Your face is cold.”

 

“Make it warm then.” Jiyong smiled and took her hands. He put them on his face and closed his eyes.

 

Chaerin just chuckled and pressed his cheeks.

 

“I heard you hung out with the girls, did you have fun?”

 

“I did. I really missed them.” Chaerin said with all of her sincerity, still massaging his face. And Jiyong’s arm securely around her waist.

 

“I’m glad. I’m really sorry I still can’t do what I promised.” Jiyong said and Chaerin stopped moving her hands. His promise. The whole reason she can’t move on. The reason she’s still waiting. Because of that damn promise years ago that always comes up at times like this.