Six

Stupid Cupid

“Just let me try once!”

Jonghyun laughed and pulled the guitar closer to him, taking it away from Jinki’s hands. “I’ve heard you try it already one time and it was a disaster.”

“But I’ve been watching you, I know how you do it.” Jinki said and turned bright red when he realized what he had confessed. “Come on, Jonghyun, I promise you I won’t mess up anything.”

Jonghyun looked sideways to Jinki but ended up laughing and getting up to let Jinki sit on the bench he was previously sitting. He waited until the other was comfortable and then passed him his guitar with care.

“Please, try not to break it, okay?”

Jinki looked offended for a minute. “How do you think I am? I know how to hold a guitar!”

"Yeah, right, we’ll see about that.”

Jonghyun took a step back and crossed his arms in front of his chest, observing Jinki as he started to play a few cords. At first, since he was playing one at a time, everything went by smoothly and Jonghyun was actually enjoying hearing what came out of the guitar as well as Jinki’s voice since he was humming one of their songs.

It was when Jinki tried to play like Jonghyun that all calm and smoothness was ruined. Jonghyun hissed when a particular note was so off key that he felt like pulling his hair out. He ran to Jinki and put his hands on top of the other’s preventing him from playing.

Jinki looked up at him with his eyes wide and then he grinned apologetically. “Sorry?”

“I knew this was not a good idea.”

“But I wanted to try.” He said, sadly, almost pouting. “Why don’t you teach me?”

Jonghyun was surprised by the question and frowned. “Me?”

“Well, of course. Who else is here?”

“I don’t know if I can teach you.” Jonghyun was a little apprehensive. “I’m not very good at teaching people.”

“I’m sure you are! Come on, Jonghyun; do that for your favorite hyung? Please?”

Jonghyun stared at Jinki and how he was pleading with his eyes and sighed, not finding in himself the will to refuse Jinki’s adorable request. How he could fit adorable and a grown man in the same sentence was a mystery to him but the truth was that adorable was the right world to describe Jinki.

“Okay, okay.” He accepted, walking behind Jinki and placing his arms around him. “You have to do it like this.”

Jonghyun had one hand on Jinki’s shoulder and the other one on top of his hand, trying to teach him how to place his fingers so that he could actually produce a pleasing note. At the same time, he was explaining some of the technique since it was also important for him to listen to if he really did wanted to play.

In the middle of it, Jonghyun stopped talking to see that Jinki was staring intensely at their fingers and how nicely they fit together and Jonghyun was almost sure he was not paying attention to anything he had said in the last few minutes.

“Are you even listening to me?”

Jinki jumped startled and turned his head to Jonghyun, widening his eyes for how close they were. He looked forward with his cheeks reddening at each passing second. “I-I am.”

“No, you were not. I bet you don’t even know what I just said.”

“Please don’t do that.”

Jonghyun was confused and lifted an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

“You’re talking too close and it’s- well, it’s disconcerting.”

“Oh, really?” Jonghyun whispered on Jinki’s ear, watching how the tiny hairs stood up. “Why is that?”

Jinki closed his eyes and whimpered. “Jonghyun, please…”

Feeling like teasing poor Jinki, Jonghyun blew a bit of air into the other’s nape and chuckled, very proud of the way he trembled. What he didn’t expect from that was the way Jinki hand had moved to his head and pushed him down at the same time he turned his head and clashed their mouths together.

Jonghyun was surprised to say the least but he couldn’t say he was upset with the change of events. He didn’t know when the guitar had been put aside but he was extremely happy when he moved to the front and straddled Jinki’s lap without anything in the way.

Suddenly there was a crash and they both jumped apart from each other, staring at the source of the noise.

By the door, stood Kibum with his back them. With his haste to leave upon the sight, Kibum had knocked himself against the door, drawing the attention to him. His shoulders were shaking and Jonghyun immediately felt guilty.

“Kibum…”

“Was this the reason why you had to think? Why you didn’t know if you wanted to be with me?”

“Kibum…”

“Answer me, please.” He asked; his voice strangled like he was putting on a lot of effort to talk. “Please.”

“I didn’t want to hurt you, I’m so sorry.” Jonghyun tried, walking closer to the other. “This wasn’t even supposed to happen but the truth is… that I have feelings for Jinki. I can’t help it.”

Kibum was silent for a while; only his sobs could be heard, as he still couldn’t look at Jonghyun. He tried to breathe deeply but it was difficult since he felt like everything was going wrong in his life and it was his entire fault.

“Oh my God.“

“Kibum, I’m really sorry. But you and I both know we were not going to work.” Jonghyun tried once again, feeling the need to come clean. “I understand if you feel like I was cheating on you-“

“We weren’t even together!” He suddenly cried, turning to look at Jonghyun with his face marked with the tear’s trace. “That doesn’t even count as cheating.” He whispered, shaking his head countless times, coming to terms with his thoughts. “I’m so stupid, such a fool. I let him go.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

"Nothing, it doesn't matter now.”

Jonghyun sighed, worried and tried to speak to him while he was already turning around to leave. “Kibum, listen to me-“

“No, just leave me alone.” He asked, as the walked out of the bar with Jonghyun behind him. “I need to be alone.”

Jonghyun stood by the bar’s back door watching as Kibum slowly walked away from him and disappeared from his sight. He couldn’t believe Kibum had to discover that way that he didn’t intend on going back to him. After all the time they’ve been together, Jonghyun didn’t want to hurt him as much as he knew he had hurt him. Kibum was sensible even though he put up with a tough front and Jonghyun knew he was going to have to talk to him as soon as he was calmer.

“Jonghyun?” Jinki asked with a tiny voice. “Are you alright?”

“I will be.”

Jonghyun turned around and looked at Jinki who was playing with his fingers as if he was scared. He walked to him and grabbed his hands, lacing their fingers and pulling him down so that he could kiss him without standing on his tiptoes.

When he pulled back both of them had his cheeks burning but Jinki was the first to react. “So, does this mean-“

“That we’re together? Yeah.”

Jinki smiled but then looked over his shoulder for the path that Kibum had taken. “What about him?”

“I’ll talk to him tomorrow.” Jonghyun promised. “Kibum might not be my boyfriend anymore but he was my best friend before and I can’t just watch him like that. I hope you understand that.”

“Of course, I understand that. I trust you.”

Jonghyun smiled and leaned his head on Jinki’s shoulder as the both of them walked back to the bar.

**

Kibum drove home and had already parked but he was still sitting on his car without moving. He kept staring at nothing in particular as his mind was running wild. His thoughts were a mess. He thought that he was still in love with Jonghyun but, at that moment, after seeing him with another person, he didn’t feel as bad as he always thought he would feel in this situation.

He was feeling stupid because he was denying his own feelings towards Minho in order to keep a relationship he knew was over. And now he was feeling sad too because he made Jonghyun feel like he was cheating on him even though it wasn’t true.

Not knowing what else to do to feel better, or at least, to feel less guilty, he decided to give it a try and call Minho. Maybe he could apologize and tell him that he was wrong about everything he said. With that in mind, he grabbed his phone and called Minho, waiting for him to answer.

“Come on, pick up.” Kibum pleaded, biting his nail. “Please, I need to talk to you.”

Kibum tried to call Minho at least ten time but his calls were always unanswered. He sighed, leaning his forehead on the wheel and even knocked his head on it, frustrated.

Of course Minho wouldn’t pick up the phone after he told him that they shouldn’t talk to each other. Kibum himself would do the same. But he really needed to apologize or he wouldn’t be able to sleep so he decided to text him, not really hopeful to get a reply.

 

                  To: Minho

                  I need to talk to you. Call me back as soon as you can.

                 

A few seconds later, his phone beeped, showing him that Minho had already replied.

 

                  From: Minho

                  If you want this to stop, you can’t contact me anymore.

                  I can’t forget you and us if you keep calling me.

                  Goodbye, Kibum.

 

Kibum’s eyes were teary when he finished reading the text and he growled, punching the wheel. “Great, Kibum, you messed up everything and now you’re all alone again.”

 

A.N.: Nothing goes rigth for our Kibum :(

Thank you so much for all the comments in the last chapters, it makes me really happy to know you're enjoying this story.