{Hongbin x Woori} Catch My Breath

VIXX & GIRLS

Title: Catch My Breath
Genre: general romance
Type: one-shot

Hongbin Woori

Her eyes and head felt heavy after only three hours of sleep, but she was forcing herself to get up for school. Her mom started nagging as soon as she brags into her room, asking if she was reading another book all night, also nudging her to wake up already. She groaned, stirring on her bed and eventually sitting up. Her mom told her to head out to eat breakfast before she takes a shower. She nodded as she rubbed her eyes.

She was greeted a ‘good morning’ the moment she took a step to the dining room. Her vision was still somehow blurry and it confused her a bit but she knew who that voice came from. It was Insoo, her best friend. She tilted her head in curiosity. "Aren't we supposed to meet at the school garden?" She sat down beside him and started eating what her mom prepared on the table. He nodded, but he mentioned that he already assumed this was going to happen so he decided to meet at her at her place today—and that he has something to say. Before he talked further, she asked how he knew she was going to wake up late like this. He laughed.

Woori's someone who loves reading books, any genre will do. The day before, she went to the bookstore with him and bought loads of new books. And every time she does, she reads two-three of them all in one night. She was like that, pretty predictable, he said. She pouted her lips but smiled after. You are my best friend, anyway, she said. Her mom interrupted, nagging about how she shouldn't be staying up too late when there's school the next day. Woori grimaced at her, saying she doesn't really worry about her—jokingly. Her mom gave a light hit on her head and told her to fix herself fast and leave for school soon. She whined but obliged at some point.

 

Dragging their bikes to their school, she remembered Insoo had something to say. She asked him about it and he thought for awhile before recalling it. He smiled and asked her if she could help him prepare a welcoming party for his cousin who'll be coming back to Seoul in two days. Where was he from, she questioned back. He told her about his cousin and she seemed interested. He chuckled and shook his head.


"Hey, Woori, he's handsome but younger. But like, really handsome. You can't like him though, because he's younger and has a girlfriend, too."


He was chuckling in between his statements, emphasizing the word ‘younger’. She suddenly hit his arm and told him she isn't that type of girl. She just felt interested because it's a first to hear a relative of him coming from America. However, he had her at ‘really handsome’. She's the type to expect too high of guys who are referred as that, because she reads too much novels. She wondered how he'd look like.

 

During class, she started listing down ideas and stuff she can do for the welcoming party. She wrote down foods they can prepare and how they can decorate the place. She was lost in her own world, not even paying attention to the lesson. Who cares, anyway, she thought. She hates Math at times too. After awhile, she glanced at Insoo, wondering how his cousin will be like. She smiled at the thought of finally getting to meet a relative of his. The moment class ended, she showed the noted she did to him and he got excited. "We can definitely do these."

 

The following day, Woori and Insoo planned to meet at the school garden to talk about the things they need to buy. Surprisingly, she woke up early today. She really seem pretty psyched out about his cousin's arrival. She wanted everything to go alright. She fixed herself quickly and ate breakfast, before striding out to go to the school with her bike. She didn't even bother looking at the time nor her phone.

Because of that, she was too early. Although the school gates were open, not a single student were there. Or so she thought. She arrived at the school garden and saw someone by the flowers. She was confused. Even when it's just the person's back, she could feel sparkles surround him, as if he were one of the beautiful flowers. He seemed like he's not one of the students in the school, it's the first time Woori saw someone like him. She was curious and sauntered towards the guy. The latter heard rustling sound and instantly turned. She was star-struck. He was like a romantic novel book character came to life. He had those beautiful eyes, pretty lips, structured nose and his brown locks that looked so soft, and when he smiled, it was brighter than the sun.

"I'm sorry if I suddenly barged in here,"

It took a few seconds before she could get back to her senses. She apologized back and bowed her head. The guy chuckled. It made her felt conscious of her movements and flush. She gathered her courage to ask what he was doing. He gave a little shook of his head and told her that he just paused and dropped by, noticing how beautiful the place looked from outside, and that when he saw the garden, he was captivated. She smiled at the thought of someone actually liking a place she and Insoo takes good care of. Just then, his phone rang and he answered it immediately. He bowed towards Woori, and left without a proper goodbye. She sighed of relief, finally she can breath appropriately, she thought.


Insoo arrived sooner and talked about the welcoming party. After writing down a list of things they'll buy, she ended up telling him about the guy earlier. That's weird, was he an angel that came from heaven and left all so sudden. He laughed. Woori did too, but she eventually agreed. The guy really was an angel, or fairy-like, she said. His friend started teasing her, what if he's younger, emphasizing the word younger again. Woori grimaced. "Now that I think of it, I didn't get his name." He laughed. Poor Woori, he grinned.

That night, they went to the groceries to grab ingredients for their food preparation the next day, also the other stuff for decoration. They spent the night, going home, thinking about the welcoming party the next day, and how excited they both are.


D-day. 7AM in the morning and she was already up, picked up her phone and called Insoo to tell him that's she'll be coming to his place in a few. He was surprised she'd be up early again and . She ignored, hanging up the phone. She reached her friend's place after less than an hour and dropped her bag quickly on their couch. She greeted Insoo and immediately started preparing the decors around the living room and dining room. She kept it simple, with pastel-colored balloons and banners that says ‘welcome back’, and some streaks of confetti and streamers hanged and stuck up on the walls and ceilings. Insoo helped with the decorating but since he isn't fond of putting such things around the house, he didn't really do much. They headed on with the food and cooked. Again, he only assisted his friend.

Around that time, his mom woke up and saw the two preparing the food, asking why they didn't wake her up to help. She smiled, saying she and Insoo can do it by themselves, and that she wouldn't want to interrupt her slumber. His mom laughed a bit. She said sorry if her son didn't get to help a lot. He can't do anything, she teased. Woori giggled with her, glancing at him who already has his lips pursed.

"It's okay, Mrs. Kang. He helped me with quite a lot with other stuff I can't really do by myself. And he can do something—like clean the school garden and keep it looking pretty."

They both giggled in unison and he was left frowning towards them. They continued with the food and when they finally finished, they took a step back to see the result. She was contented, although it felt like lacking and she wanted to do more. His mom protested, saying it's already perfect and mentioned how his nephew likes things simply. She nodded, keeping the feeling of excitement to herself.


Insoo's phone rang moments later, he assumed it's his cousin and he was right. He hung up a few minutes later and told them that he's on his way, doubtful of his directions. Woori laughed and found him cute. He again, reminding her how she's not supposed to like his cousin. She pursed her lips and hit his arm weakly. Insoo's mom uttered laughter and mentioned how cute they were. However, they're still just friends.

 

Knock, knock.

 

A knock came to the door and they all got excited. His mom came striding to open the door and she greeted the guy instantly. She ushered him in and was smiling. The other smiled back in response, and he was smiling brightly. His dimple showing evidently and is sending sparkles all over their house. The moment he came in the living room, he was greeted with a couple of party poppers and a cheerful ‘Welcome!’ from Woori and Insoo. The younger guy chuckled and thanked them with a bow. That moment Woori suspected something, the guy seemed like someone she already met; the voice, his hair and how he's wearing white.


"It feels good to see you, Insoo."


He looked up and smiled at Insoo. The girl was in legit shock. She couldn't believe it, and froze right at her spot, staring at him. He was the beautiful creature she met yesterday. Insoo turned to her and introduced him, the guy turned as well but didn't recognize her sooner.


"Woori, this is Hongbin. Hongbin, she's a good friend of mine."


"I was expecting girlfriend there." He chuckled. Insoo shook his head and laughed, telling that they're just friends and nothing more than that. Woori was still in shock and it was not later that the two notice. Is she alright, they asked. Even Insoo's mom was worried. One of them, either, poked her cheek and asked again if she's okay. The latter came to her senses then, and asked how this could happen, suddenly. Insoo wondered what she meant, Hongbin looked at her, curious.


"Y-you're...? Uh, Insoo, h-he's the guy I told you about, the one I met yesterday at the school garden."


That's when it hit Hongbin. No wonder she found her familiar as well, he said, she was the girl from yesterday. The other guy gasped in surprise, not because of it but because it only meant his cousin already arrived in Seoul yesterday and didn't tell them. Hongbin grinned and apologized with a bow of his head. He told them that he arrived yesterday because he needed to look for a hotel to stay at. Insoo questioned why, while Woori suddenly kept quiet but still listening.

 

"Yura asked me to find a place for her to stay, she's going to be studying her for the meantime. She didn't want me to leave America without her."

 

"Yura? You came here with Yura?" She's Hongbin's girlfriend, and apparently an annoyingly clingy one. She didn't want him to go back to Seoul alone so she asked to come with him. He couldn't disagree, really, so he just let her. Woori's face kind of sneered. Too clingy, she thought, but it may be good too. They spent the day eating lunch and talking further.


That night, Woori went out to buy some snacks. Insoo and Hongbin were left talking to each other about how things went for Hongbin, and he saddened a bit in response. It didn't go well, he mentioned. He's been studying 24/7 and doesn't even have time for fun, and even if he does, Yura would always claim his free time. Sometimes it's just tiring, he said. It was good that he planned to come back here, but he wasn't sure because Yura might force him to go back to America. Insoo protested, he said he'll protect him. Hongbin ended up laughing. "You crazy punk..."

Yura was calling in the middle of their conversation. Insoo joked and told him not to answer, but he immediately shook his head. She'll get furious, he said. His cousin shrugged and snickered internally. Yura has him in her hands pretty tightly. Not wanting to disturb his call, he told him to go outside for awhile, and he did.


Just as Hongbin came out the door and answered the call, Woori was walking back. She saw him and all of a sudden came hiding behind the nearest bush. She didn't want to eavesdrop on his call but she didn't want to do anything to interrupt as well. She stayed still there and waited.


"What do you mean you're having a hard time!? You just arrived this morning and you already have thousands of complains! Why can't you just sit and enjoy by yourself in the meantime? I told you, you should've stayed in America if you already imagined yourself not wanting to be here, and I also told you that I'll be staying with my cousin for awhile. It's not a good idea for you to have come here, then."


She didn't expect to hear him mad just a day after she met an angel-like face. So he has this side, too. She thought he's someone who's really gentle and amenable towards his girlfriend, but she guess not. She didn't mean to hear their argument but it somewhat got her concerned. She was about to show up to him but he suddenly kicked the door mat that it fell two steps down. Then he groaned. Woori hesitated but she couldn't stay there any longer. She came out of her hiding place and asked if he's okay. He was surprised, thinking she was a ghost or something. She apologized.


"How much did you hear?"


She looked down and bowed slowly, saying she heard from the start to end but she didn't mean to. The younger gave a smile in response. It was unfair, she thought. He kept showing that bright smile that honestly and uncomfortably makes her heart race. He said it was okay. He was pretty much used to other people hearing him and Yura's arguments, it isn't something new. He nodded and told her they should both get inside since it's a bit foggy out, and Insoo's probably waiting for the snacks. Woori followed.

It was kind of stupid how she forgot about the mat, though. The moment she stepped on it, her foot unexpectedly slipped. She was about to hit her bum on the cement when a hand grabbed on her arm instantly and pulled her too close that they almost stumbled upon the door. She had her eyes closed and felt concerned, warm breathing across her face. Her eyes met his once she fluttered them open. Without any warning, she pushed him away, making him hit the door leniently. He laughed.


"I saved you when you almost fell, and I get shoved away as a reward."


Again, she apologized for what happened. What does he want me to do, kiss him? She shook her head aggressively at the thought. The guy laughed again, thinking of what may be in her head when she did. He smiled at her and said it was really okay. He turned to his back and opened the door, telling her to follow inside. The latter sighed. Such a fool, Go Woori. Really.


They had snacks, ignoring Insoo who was questioning if something happened outside or something. She distracted herself and grabbed a book to read while the two guys started playing video games as if they were ten years old. She had to admit, she kept stealing glances at Hongbin's back. What are you doing, Woori, she thought. She tried to keep herself focused at the book she was reading.

 

The next day, surprisingly Woori woke up early again. She looked at the two boys sleeping soundly even after a whole night of video games, she giggled at the resonance of their hums and small snores. There were packs of snacks and some bits of crackers scattered all over the floor but she didn't mind somehow. She knew these cousins didn't have time to play around together, and that Hongbin has been away far too long for them to have fun like this. With that thought, she started cleaning up and decided to make breakfast.


A few minutes later, there came a sudden knock on the door, and it was a bit ear-piercing. Who could it be, she thought. Due to several loud thuds, Insoo's mom woke up and headed quickly out of her room. She asked who's knocking like that early in the morning and Woori shrugged, walking towards to unlock the door. The moment she opened it, the person behind barged in, asking where his boyfriend is. Woori blinked repeatedly in surprise. Boyfriend? Was she referring to Hongbin?


"Where's Lee Hongbin!? I need to talk to him!"


She was right, it was Hongbin she's looking for. Insoo's mom sighed, telling her she shouldn't be knocking loudly and barging in to other people's house like that, but she ignored it. How rude, Woori thought. Just as she closed the door, the girl walked right into the living room and tried to wake Hongbin up, calling his name simultaneously. The guy stirred and groaned as he recognized her voice. What the hell is she doing here, he asked himself. She nudged him a few times and eventually woke both of the guys up.


"Ya, Lee Hongbin! Why didn't you come back to the hotel last night, huh!? I needed help with my stuff."


Unbelievable, Woori shook her head, keeping the thought to herself. How can someone be like this to her boyfriend. Hongbin sat up, sneering as he looked up at her. He rolled his eyes. Who would want to go back to the hotel after an argument, he said. Yura scoffed, crossing her arms and insisting him to get up and stand up. Woori didn't want to get involved but she suddenly protested.


"Hey, I know you're his girlfriend, but you shouldn't be mean to him like that."


"And you are?" She raised an eyebrow. Really unbelievable, she thought. Hongbin stood up immediately and sighed. She grabbed his arm and was going to pull on it but Insoo stopped her. He told him she should ask for permission because he's his cousin, and she's inside their house. "Why should I, I'm his girlfriend."

This girl doesn't want to lose, she uttered lowly. Insoo's mom remained quiet and didn't want to interrupt and get involved too, as she might do something against her will. Yura kept nagging when all of a sudden, Woori bursted exclaiming and saying how annoying she is, and that she complains a lot, especially like last night. What, Yura asked, raising her voice. She asked how she knew about their talk last night. Even Insoo got intrigued.

Oh no.

Hongbin pulled on her and started dragging her out, telling her that they need to talk. Yura tried to break from his grip and was glaring at Woori, wanting to get an answer to her question, but obliged to him soo after. They both headed out of the house.

 

"Who does that girl think she is!? Who is she, Hongbin, tell me!"


He sighed and told her that it doesn't matter now, and what he wanted to know is why she came barging in to the house early in the morning without even telling him thru text or call. The girl took a deep breath and tried to keep herself serene. She replied in her soft voice saying she misses him. Quite a sudden and huge contrast to how she acted in front of his family and friend.

That is not going to work, Hongbin said. He was kind of scolding her, sighing and looking down in between. Yura apologized and started acting cute—but he didn't buy it. He came here for a vacation and not to give himself more stress. He was almost mad. Yura knew that, but she wasn't feeling good early in the morning either. She heaved a heavy sigh and burst the bubble;


"You're like that to me now just because we're in Seoul!? Okay, fine, whatever. I guess we need time to be alone and cool off, huh!?"


He couldn't believe what she just said. She had the guts to deliver and utter those words right out of even when it's actually, and really her fault. He sighed in disbelief, again and again, and almost shouted at her back to say how rude she is. He's so full of her complains and unruly manners, and questioned how she had to courage to barge into other people's house. Yura didn't bother to cry nor apologize, rolling her eyes, he left his sight as soon as possible. He was left there, dumbfounded and pissed off. Unbelievable, he uttered. How could he have endured a girl like her.

 

Awhile later, he finally decided to come back inside. The moment he opened the door, someone just came dropping into his arms, hearing a loud gasp from that someone. He was rather surprised but still had the person in his arms tightly to prevent from hitting the ground. He looked down and realized it was Woori. He laughed. The older stood up straight in an instant, avoiding eye contact as she bowed and apologized simultaneously. "I- I was just, uh, passing by.."


"When you became glued to the door? I don't think you were..."


She insisted that she was but he didn't buy her excuse either. He chuckled, teasing her that she probably meant to eavesdrop on their conversation last night too. She kept denying and the other just keeps snickering at her little actions, saying that she is cute. Her cheeks started to turn red and shook her head harshly, before turning around. She told him that Insoo's worried so he should get inside.

 


Later that day, Insoo and his mom had to leave to buy groceries, Woori told them not to worry about a thing and that she'll be staying for awhile. Insoo asked if Hongbin wanted to come with them to get some fresh air after a tough morning but he shook his head. He'll stay with Woori to look after the house, he said, and that he somehow needed to fix his stuff then rest.

As soon as they left, she grabbed on her book from the coffee table and sat down the living room couch, completely—and tried—ignorning Hongbin. The guy snickered a bit and sat down beside her, fishing out his phone and constantly glancing at her. She felt conscious and scooted a bit to the side. He followed. She moved once again, and so did he. She sighed. "Are you really going to be like that the whole day?"

He laughed, and only laughed. She have had enough of it, not because she's annoyed but because she felt like his laughs and little snickers will be the death of her. It made her flush and she doesn't even understand why. She closed her book and stood up from the couch, wanting to walk away fast. But just then, he stood up as well and grabbed her waist, spinning her to him. She gasped at the contact. Their eyes met and she quickly pushed him away. He chuckled like there's nothing wrong with what he just did.


"Hey, you have a girlfriend. And I'm way older for y—"


She got cut off with a couple of fingers on her lips. She blinked repeatedly as he scanned her for a few seconds. "You know, you're not bad yourself, and probably much better than Yura, but... Are you saying I'm trying to seduce you or something?"


Aren't you, she asked in her mind. He stared at her before smiling and pulling away, casually asking if she could help her with his stuff. Again, he was acting like nothing happened. What is with this guy. A few seconds, not wanting her to assume anything beforehand, he apologized for what he did earlier. A cold temperature came up when Woori didn't know what nor how to respond to him. He asked is she was okay, a lot of times before she could reply.

Did I just spaced out, she thought the moment she was walking towards his room and apparently looking at his back. They both started fixing his stuff and putting them out and up all over the room. He opened one box, and called her, telling her to sit down for awhile. He brought out two hats and placed it on top of each other's heads. They were his parents' couple hats. They're both precious items to him, and reminded a lot of good memories in the past. Woori, being the curious cow that she is, asked why.

They weren't a couple yet back then, those couple hats were his dad's first surprise gift to his mom when he was still courting her. It wasn't a very expensive gift but his mom loved it so much. It was simple yet noteworthy. It's very special in every way, and he's more than happy and honored to have them. She smiled at the thought, but she got a wee bit more curious as she looked up at the hats.


"Is there any other thing that made it special?"


He smirked and wrapped an arm around her waist quickly, pulling on her close. With a soft gasp, the hat on top of her head randomly fell. He stared at her, it was confusingly a bit longing and loving. And again, their eyes met like that. She took a deep breath, almost forgetting to exhale. He smiled.


"Because the hats are what made my mom fall in love with my dad. Eventually pulling a girl closer like this makes them fall harder, and leaning in real close led to their first sweet kiss." She flushed in bright red as she felt him leaning in.


"Hongbin, have you seen—" It was Insoo, suddenly opening the room door and gasped in surprise at the sight. Hongbin quickly retreated his arm on his back and stood up. He tried to explain, saying they were fixing his stuff. Insoo smirked and didn't believe him. He was obviously stammering. Woori immediately ran out of the room and towards the dining room. Insoo followed and asked if she was okay. She shook her head as she catches her breath. Bad news, she said. Her friend wondered.


"I think I can't live up to what I said about not falling for your cousin."


Insoo laughed and ruffled her hair, saying it was okay and she should talk to him about it so he could help her. She shook her head. This is impossible. He was younger for her, and he has Yura, that he'll eventually come back to. She told Insoo. He glanced at his back and smiled.


"I don't think he'll be coming back to his girlfriend for awhile."


She wondered and turned, seeing a brightly smiling Hongbin behind them.

 


 

A/N: Firstly, I would like to apologize for revealing this late, I kind of got busy with paperworks and korean dramas I needed to catch up with. There's Cheer Up! where Hakyeon and Eunji are friends, and one of my friends wanted me to draft something Hakyeon x Eunji related so I'm going to try that sometime soon. Second and last, I'm very sorry if this one isn't well-made. I wrote and typed it quickly because I forgot to finish this before, even some other following fanfics after this so I would like to apologize. :( I'll do better next time!

Number of words: 4.6k+