New Year

Awakening of the Heart

 

Three months have passed since I became friends with Junhyung. We see each other every Monday at the day care where I teach music and every weekend, he drives me around Seoul and its neighboring town. I honestly feel that I’m starting to trust him more. I haven’t had close friends before other than Kikwang and Doojon.

“Doojoon-ah... Will I be okay? Opening up to someone whom I just met.” I’m holding our picture asking Doojoon. I must be crazy, waiting for him to answer back. I sighed and put down our picture when my hand phone rang.

“Junhyung-ssi.” I answered.

“Yah. Hyeju-ah. I told you to drop the ‘ssi’ didn’t I?” He said with a hint of irritation. He’s right, he told me to drop the formalities but I forget about it once in a while.

“Mianheyo. Junhyung.”  I smiled though I know he couldn’t see it.

“Where do you wanna go this weekend?”

“Hmm? I don’t have a particular place in mind. It’s the first time you asked me where I wanna go. Did you run out of places where you’ll take me?” I asked him. Every weekend he takes me to different places and never fails to impress me and I really enjoyed every trip.

“Well... not really. But since this weekend is new year, I wanted you to tell me where you wanna welcome the new year.” He explained. Last week I celebrated Christmas with him and Chihoon. It was fun being with them. They treated me like a family. I didn’t celebrate Christmas and New Year last year because I don’t have someone to celebrate it with.

‘So it has been a year already since you left.’ I glanced at the picture on top of the piano.

 “New year huh? Hm... I don’t know where but I want to watch a firework display.”

“Firework display... okay! I’ll find a good spot for that.” He said excitedly.

“Don’t burden yourself too much Junhyung.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t. Bye Hyeju.”

“Bye.” Then I hang up.

 

“Hyeju-noona!” I saw Chihoon running towards me and Junhyung walking behind him with his hands in his pockets.

“Chihoon-ah.” I knelt down and welcomed him in an embrace. This kid is really sweet and he loves to be hugged.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” I smiled at Junhyung who is standing in front of me.

“Annyeong Hyeju-ah.” He said. “Ready?”

I nodded. “Let’s go noona!” Chihoon pulled me towards their car. I was about to open the door behind the driver’s seat when Chihoon stopped me.

I looked at him with my brows creased. Then he spoke, “Noona should sit beside Hyung.” He said with a grin and entered the car closing the door in front of me.

“Hyeju?” Junhyung looked at me and I can read that he’s puzzled why I’m just standing in front of his car. “Why won’t you enter the car?”

“Ah. Sorry.” I said and went to the door beside the driver’s seat. Junhyung started the car.

“Noona, wear your seatbelt.” Chihoon leaned behind me.

“Oh.” I pulled the seatbelt beside me to wear just like what Chihoon said but... “It’s stuck.”

Junhyung looked over me and saw that I was having a hard time with the seatbelt. He leaned in and helped me. “There.” He said when he successfully locked the belt.

I looked up and felt something soft on my lips. Our lips touched...accidentally...

“Sorry.” Junhyung immediately pulled away and turned his gaze to the road.

“Um.” It’s the only thing that I can say before looking outside the window.

 

The first minutes of the drive had been awkward. Good thing Chihoon kept on telling stories about him and his brother. He’s basically telling their life to me. Junhyung in his stories once in a while. He said it’s embarrassing but Chihoon ignores him.

“Mapo-gu Heaven Park...” I read the sign that we just passed. I looked at Junhyung. He’s smiling.

“So we’re celebrating the new year here.”

Not long after, Junhyung stopped the car. “Let’s go?” He smiled at me and I nodded. I looked back at Chihoon and he’s already outside.

“There’s so many people here hyung!” Chihoon complained. There are really a lot of people here.

“Don’t worry. We’ll go to a place where there are only a few people.” Junhyung said as he pulled me and Chihoon along.

We walked a little farther from the people in the park. We went deeper into the park. The place is not too dark so it’s not scary to walk through. Some trees have Christmas lights on, it’s so pretty. Then we stopped. I looked where we are and we’re near a cliff, over-looking Seoul.

“Wow.” I gasped.

“Hyung! This is great! You did a good job finding this place!” Chihoon voiced out what I wanted to say. I looked at Junhyung and nodded.

“Thanks.” He mouthed to me before turning to Chihoon. “Of course! I did my best to find this place!”

He placed a mat on the grass. Chihoon immediately sat at the mat. Junhyung followed and patted an empty space beside him. “Sit here.” He said to me and I obeyed.

“We can wait for the fireworks here. The program said that the display will start at exactly 12 midnight. And I’m confident that this spot is the best for that.” He sounded bragging so I can’t help myself to chuckle.

“Yah!” He protested but joined me in laughing. We’re eating the food that I prepared while waiting for the fireworks display. Chihoon tried his best to stay awake and he succeeded. When the time 12, the display started. Different colored fireworks lighted the night sky of Seoul. The display lasted for 15 minutes. It was the longest fireworks display that I have watched, I’m not complaining because I really enjoyed it.

“Did you enjoyed it?” Junhyung asked me after the display.

“Yes! I did!” I answered eagerly. “Thank you, Junhyung-ah.” I said, smiling.

“You’re smiling with your eyes now.” He said all of a sudden.

“Oh.” I remembered he told me before that my smile is not sincere enough and he hated it.

“Let’s stay here for the sunrise.” He said and I agreed.

While waiting for the first sunrise of 2012, we talked. Mostly he was the one talking and telling stories. I just listened to him but occasionally talk when he asks me questions. Chihoon is sound asleep the entire time.

“Chihoon.” I whispered to the child’s ear. He groaned. “The sun is starting to rise.” I said and he slowly sat up rubbing his eyes.

“See?” Chihoon’s eyes became fully awake when he saw the sun starting to appear.

“Make a wish Chihoon.” I said to him. He closed his eyes and clasped his hands. Then I did the same.

“I’m wishing for a better and happy year.” That’s my wish. I’ve made a decision that starting this year, I will try to move on. Just like what Junhyung told me. “Doojoon-ah. I’ll start a new life. Please watch over me. I love you.”

I opened my eyes and saw Junhyung staring at me. “Happy new year.” He said.

“Happy new year Junhyung.” I answered back.

“Let’s go?” he offered me his hand and took it. I dusted my pants for a while and when I looked up, I saw someone whom I haven’t met in a long time. The familiar features and his voice. I missed it a lot.

“Hyeju-ah.”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~

Happy new year!! ^^