I Knew It

Awakening of the Heart

 

(Present...)

 

 I met an interesting girl yesterday. She seems sweet but her eyes feel empty.  She smiles but it doesn’t reach her eyes. I’ve been thinking about her since we parted after lunch. I wonder what’s bothering her.

“Hyung! Let’s go!” I heard my brother called me from the living room. He’s already in front of the door putting on his school shoes.

“Yah! What’s the hurry? It’s still early. It’s not like your school is far from here.” I said, wearing my baseball cap to hide my bed hair.

“It’s Monday today and Hyeju-seongsaenim will come and teach us music. I don’t want to be late!”

“So she teaches music.”

I walked Chihoon to his school which is 15minutes away from our flat. The whole time we are walking Chihoon is humming a song which I do not know but he seems happy ‘coz he’s skipping. When we arrived at his school, I’m surprised that there are already students inside the building.

“Whoa~ do you guys really go to school this early?” I stood there outside the school’s gate, amazed at how Chihoon’s classmates go to school at 7:00 in the morning when their class officially starts at 8:30.

“No. We only come to school this early every Monday.” Chihoon chirped.

This is my first time to walk him to school since my parents dropped him off to my house just last Saturday. My parents started a business abroad so they asked me to take care of my brother until they come back. I just don’t know when. I accompanied Chihoon to his classroom and there, I saw her, Ryu Hyeju. She’s cleaning the room with the help of her students. As soon as my brother saw her, he ran towards her and hugged her.

“Good morning Hyeju-seongsaenim!”

“Good morning Chihoon.” She lightly patted Chihoon’s head and smiled. “There she goes again with her empty smile.” I sighed. I can’t believe that she’s smiling like that. It’s kind of annoying; I believe that empty smiles are not sincere. But I also can’t stop to think that there’s something wrong with her. I want to know what that is.

“I came here with Junhyung hyung.” Chihoon grabbed my hand and lead me to Hyeju.

“Good morning.” She bowed. But she didn’t smile. Somehow, I felt sad that she didn’t.

“Good morning Hyeju-sshi.” I answered.

“Hyeju-seongsaenim! Will you start playing the piano now?” one of her students tugged her apron.

“Ahm... well...”

“Please...?” the little girl pleaded followed by the other students, including Chihoon.

She took a deep breath before she placed her fingers on the black and white keys of the piano. The children seated in front of the piano and kept quiet. Waiting for her to start, I stood behind her as I expect her to start soon.

She closed her eyes and started to play ‘River flows in You’ by Yiruma [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhN7SG-H-3k]. This piece is very beautiful. It makes everyone who hears it feel in love. The kids then started to close their eyes and sway their heads, obviously enjoying the piece. Then i also found myself slowly closing my eyes.

 

‘It really is soulful.’ I thought. Not long after, she finished playing the piece. I heard the kids clap their hands, “You’re really good Hyeju-seongsaenim!” one of the students said and followed by multiple nods and ‘yes!’ from the others.

“Play another one Hyeju-seongsaenim!” One student suggested.

Hyeju smiled. “Okay. Do you guys have any request?”

‘Aish. That smile again. Yah. Can’t you smile with your eyes?’ I hissed to myself.

“AH!” Chihoon stood up with his right hand raised. “Play the piece that you’re playing every after class.” Chihoon said with a grin. Hyeju tilted her head.

“What do you mean Chihoon-ah?” she asked.

“Ahm...” Chihoon bit his finger. “Well, it goes something like this.” Then he hummed something that I’m not familiar with. But when he started humming, I saw Hyeju’s eyes widened and impulsively stood up making her stumble. I caught her waist so she did not fall.

“Hey. Are you okay?” I asked. She just nodded and mumbled ‘thank you’ to me.

“Are you okay Hyeju-seongsaenim?” Chihoon asked.

“Ah. Yes.” She simply answered.

“Can’t you play that seongsaenim?” One of the students worriedly asked her with a pout.

“Do you... Do you really want me to play that?” she asked hesitantly.

Chihoon nodded as well as the other students. She heaved a sigh. “Very well then.” She seated in front of the piano again and started to play the piece that Chihoon hummed earlier.

[link to the song that Hyeju's currently playing ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJU0mK_Uxs]

Not long after, she started to sing. ‘Ah. So this piece also has lyrics.’ I listened to the lyrics attentively. I’m too absorbed in listening to the unfamiliar piece that is being played and when the music stopped, I slowly opened my eyes and looked at the pianist in front of me.

 

I saw a tear roll down her left cheek and she hasn’t opened her eyes yet. I wiped the tear in her cheek which startled her to open her eyes abruptly.

“I’m sorry.” I said, and she shook her head.

“Excuse me.” She said before she left the room.

‘I knew it. There’s something bothering her. Or should I say... SOMEONE.’

~*~*~*~*~

comments? no? T^T *sad* but still.. I will continue this fic.. *sigh*