Chapter 7 (final)

The Happily Ever After

 

LAST CHAPTER :)

 

I ran outside, the old book and picture in my hands, across the street. The lights were on inside the house. I knocked on the door, my hands shaking.
“I’ll get it!” I heard Yoseob’s voice shout from inside, and my heart jumped into my throat.
Just like it used to for KiKwang-oppa’s voice. 
Now it was for someone else.
He opened the door, and smiled a smile to melt me to a puddle. I had never appreciated the true value of his grin until now. Now that I wasn’t blinded by KiKwang-oppa and the illusion of first and only love.
“Ji-na! What are you doing here? It’s not 10 yet! Back early? He opened the door wider, allowing me in. I shut the door carefully behind me, then realized that we should probably go outside.
“Can we…go outside?” I asked, nervous. What am I nervous about? I thought. I mean…I may be in love with this guy, but he’s my friend! I relaxed a little.
I didn’t know where to start. What to say, where to begin… 
“What do you mean, what am I doing here? This is my neighborhood! I think the question is what are you doing here!” I said as we walked outside.
He laughed. “What’s wrong with you? Hey, did you know the festival is going on? Why didn’t you tell me?! We so would have made plans if--”
“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” I said. “I wish I told you. I wish I knew all this…stuff before. I was so stupid!” I paced around the driveway. 
“What?” He laughed. “Are you going crazy?” 
“All this time…you were trying to tell me!” I opened the folded down page where Beauty and the Beast was…where I found the picture and note.
“Oh. You…found it.” He laughed a little, now nervous too. He rubbed the back of his neck and turned away from me, looking up at the stars. I looked at his back. 
This was the boy I loved.
No doubt in my mind. 
But was it too late?
“Ji-na. I still….really like you.” He said, back still turned.
This time…..I could take it. I could even say the same thing back.
“I…I think that…um…” My voice shook. “Well do you love me?” I blurted out. Why did I just say that….it was obvious my mind and body were disconnected.
He turned around to look at me in the eyes. “Yes.”
I tried to register his words…my brain had crashed and burned, and I gave up on that. I dropped the book, and hugged him. 
He wrapped his arms around me tightly, embracing me back, and it fit. 
It was all right. I felt our hearts beating to the same excited rhythm….and I never wanted to let go. 
He pulled me away, looking up in my eyes. “What happened to KiKwang?”
“He has a girlfriend. But I don’t care. I don’t care at all. I don’t need him. You were the beast, a prince in disguise all along. I know that now.” I held up the picture of us as kids.
He grinned at me, intertwined our hands, and… he leaned in towards me…
The kiss like electricity.
We were interrupted by a sudden explosion. I jumped and saw bright purple and red light up the sky. Fireworks!
“Wah! Fireworks! Come on.” He took my hand, and we went out to the front lawn, laying in the grass. 
I looked up at the black sky, my heart pounding to the burst of fireworks in the sky and knowing that Seobie would always be my prince…I clutched my book of fairytales to my chest, certain that my happily ever after would always be with me.



THE END :)

 

thanks for reading :) <3