Chapter 4

The Happily Ever After

Despite what Yoseob told me…I felt that I had lost all hope. I didn’t see the magic in fairytales the way I used to. Since my life had revolved around them, it seemed that life was just…I don’t know. It was just…I couldn’t trust anything. If my one belief for true love at first sight had failed me, what was there to trust in?
I felt dull and unproductive. I didn’t have the zeal for singing like I once had, now that the motivation for doing well was gone. My song of wishes and hopes lay unfinished, my sketches and storybooks in the dust. I went to school, did my homework, and went to bed. I avoided my singing lessons, saying I was sick, or something. I stopped watching dance videos. But while doing all this, I just felt unproductive, throwing things out of my life without things to fill the empty spaces.
It was two weeks after the incident. By this time, I had gotten used to feeling dull and not constantly in love. But that didn’t mean I was still craving it.
“Yah, you’re weird these days~” Yoseob said to me. We were in my room, playing a video game. “What do you do with your free time?”
“Hmm~” I stared transfixed at the screen. “I dunno, go to school, do homework, sleep.”
“That’s all?”
“Yeah. OH OH!! HAH!” I jumped up and did a victory dance. I had just beat him at Mario Kart. “Whooo! In your face! Uh-huh, oh yeah~”
“REAMATCH!” He announced, already pressing the start button.
“Hey, no fair! I scrambled over to the console to catch up. We were silent except for the clicking of our controllers.
“I think you need something more in your life.” He said finally. 
“Like?”
“I dunno.”
“Wow, thanks for that insightful input, really.”
“Anytime.”
“Ah! That’s right!” I said suddenly. “What happened to that girl you like? Did you she give you anything for Valentines?”
“Oh, yeah. Um, yeah she did, but…it was just friendship chocolate.” He said, very concentrated on his car now.
“Aw. I’m sorry.”
“Nah, it’s all good. I’m thinking of getting her something for White Day, though.”
“Oh, oh! Yes!! I could help you! I’m a girl, so I could definitely--”
“Wah, wah!!! Look, look! One more lap!! You better catch up, missy!” He veered to the side, jabbing my shoulder violently.
“Hey, this whole game is no fair! You started without me!”
“Ah, excuses, excuses!” He said.
“So what does this girl look like?” I asked, truly curious now.
“Oh, I dunno. She’s just average looking.”
I scoffed. “Is that how you talk about the woman you love?”
He turned red. “I mean, I think she’s great. Really…I do.”
“Hahaha! I’m just kidding! Oh, oh!!! Whaaaat!” The finish line was coming up! I sped up my car, and--
“YES!! WOOOOOHOOOOO!” Yoseob jumped up, doing his own victory dance.“WHAT NOW!! WOOO!”
“Yeah, yeah. We’re tied.” I said, waving my hand around, bored.
“Not for long—one more round.” He clicked start.
“No~ let’s be chatty.” I turned off the game.
“Whaaat~ I’m not a girl~ I don’t wanna be chatty.” He whined.
“Tell me about this girl. I wanna know about her.” I put my head in my hands.
“Aiyah, just leave me alone.”
“Come onnnn~ tell me about this girl~” I poked him. “How old is she.”
“I dunno, younger than me, I guess. Why does it matter?”
“Wah! She’s my age? Does she go to my school?” I said, sitting up. “She might be in my class! Tell me her name, tell me!” I was excited now.
“No!” he shook his head. “Never.”
“Come on! I’m not gonna tell her anything weird! Please!” I begged.
“Never.” He repeated firmly.
I sighed. “Honestly, what harm is it going to do telling me.”
“Well, I dunno…it just…you might think…I don’t know.” He rubbed the back of his neck.
“Is she really that ugly?” I said, raising my eyebrows.
“She’s not ugly, ok?” He said, frustrated. “I’ll-I’ll tell you! Soon, ok? Jeez, just leave me alone~” he took a pillow off the floor and threw it at me.
“Until you do, I’m gonna find out who this girl is.” I vowed. “I’ll find out, just you wait.”

And so that’s just what I did. I spent my free time playing detective, thinking about Yoseob’s possible girlfriends. I looked around in my class, and asked if they remembered him being their close Oppa friend. None of them.
I thought about going to the dance studio to ask his bandmates…but I knew that….KiKwang-oppa would be there, and I didn’t want to risk anything. I mused over different types. Sporty, bookish, model…but I couldn’t pinpoint down a specific type…
It was the beginning of March. White Day was fast approaching.
“So~ White Day is coming up….” I said pointedly to Yoseob one day. We were out at the park on the swings, finally able to enjoy the spring air without heavy coats, now light jackets.
“So?”
“So! So you’re gonna confess to the girl, right? Oh, and I still want to know who she is. I’ve been trying real hard to figure out--”
“Really?” He kicked his legs, gaining air. “Why do you care so much?”
“I’m just really curious.” I said. “You’ve never talked about her, and suddenly here she is.”
“I’ve liked her for a while…I don’t going blabbing about stuff like that! I’m not a gossipy girl.” He said sassily.
I laughed as the wind pushed my hair in and out. “I never said you were. So! When am I gonna meet her? I could totally be good friends with her! Unless she’s real freaky. No offense, I mean.” I said quickly.
He laughed out loud. “Oh, she’s real freaky alright. A downright weirdo. Honestly, I’m not sure if you’ll like her.” He slowed his swing, dragging his feet on the wet dirt. He looked out at the kids screaming in the air as they chased each other around, scrambling down slides and monkey bars.
I slowed the swing, confused. “Seriously, what--?” 
He turned to look at me. “I’ll let you meet her, on White Day. She should be coming to my auditions. You’re coming right?”
That’s right. His Cube auditions. On White Day, of all days! “Sure. What time?”
“Around noon.”
“I’ll be there.” I nodded. “Hwaiting!”

On March 14th, I woke up feeling…Today was White Day…I remembered that…maybe if KiKwang-oppa had accepted my confession…stop it! I thought to myself, brushing my teeth furiously. Today you’re going to Yoseob’s auditions to support him. My stomach dropped, thinking that KiKwang-oppa was going to be there. What do I do? I shuddered. I’m so embarrassed. The rejection scene replayed over and over in my head, his sorry face clouding me. Ugh, I thought, going to my closet. What should I wear…I don’t want to seem defeated…but I don’t want to go all out…what to do~~~
I eventually decided to wear a sweatshirt and some nice jeans. Flats, or Converse…I eventually went with pair of White Vans. “White for white day~” I sang to myself, slinging my purse over my shoulder. “For luck!”


Entering the Cube studio was different this time. It was busy and full of strange people. I looked around for Yoseob...probably doing some last minute warming up…I wonder if his friend is here yet…I scouted out possible faces. Most of them were boys, anyways…uh-oh.
My heart jumped to my throat. 
KiKwang-oppa. He was in the middle of auditioning. And there was Yoseob! No girls nearby. My attention diverted back to Kikwang-oppa. He was concentrated, his smooth voice moving up and down to his song. His hand carefully clenched the mic, and his calm face…he was so…perfect. My heart hurt. I touched my heart, and breathed in and out. Ok, ok ok…
His song ended and he bowed to the judges. I stood frozen the corner. Around me, people were clapping. I did the same. As he walked past me, I flattened myself in the corner, praying he wouldn’t see me. He turned to look at me, right in the eyes. He stopped and bowed. I stayed frozen, heart pounding right out of my chest. Right then, time slowed…but still it went as quickly as it came. I walked over to Yoseob and shakily sat down. He gave me a look. “You saw KiKwang.”
“Y-yeah.” I nodded shakily, looking straight ahead. 
“You can’t have a crying spell now.” He whispered as a girl walked up to the front. 
“Shut up, I know.” I said angrily. “I’m fine.”

Finally, Yoseob’s turn came. “Yang Yoseob!” A man called out.
“That’s you! Hwaiting!” I squeezed his hand.
He went up to the front, taking the mic from the guy. A calm, blank expression. I gave him a thumbs up, and he smiled slightly.
His clear strong voice rang throughout the room, and he was a totally different person. Music was one of the most absolute serious things for Yoseob, and you could tell by the way he performed. I smiled proudly throughout the performance.
Finally he was finished, and I clapped enthusiastically with the rest of the people around me. His bandmates clapped him on the back and he grinned. 

“Where do you want to go?” He skipped merrily down the street. “My treat!”
“Really? Woo!” I clapped. “Anywhere is fine~.”
“No really! Where do you wanna eat?” He said. 
“Yoseob?” I asked carefully.
“Yeah?” He said, looking at me.
“Im sorry…she didn’t come.” I said quietly.
“Huh?”
“Your…friend.”
“Oh. Yeah. Well…yeah. I guess she…well, she did come.” He walked ahead.
“What? Why didn’t you tell me? Who was she?” I caught up to him. “Honestly! I’m not going to creep her out!” I was seriously frustrated by now. I mean, come on! We’ve known eachother for so long that things like this really shouldn’t be an issue—
“Fine. Fine, whatever.” He turned around to me. “Do you really want to meet her?”
“Yes!”
“Ok. Let’s go.” He took my hand, leading me away.

We came to the pond by his house. Often we would come here and play as little kids. I always wanted to play princess, but Yoseob always wanted to play Star Wars, or something. Ah, the memories~ 
He let go of my hand I waited. 
“Is she going to meet us here?” I asked.
He sighed. “No. Look in the water.”
I did as he told me to, and saw my rippling reflection.
“That’s her.”
I froze in place, my brain power slowing to a stop.
…………come again? 
“Uh…you mean…” I still wasn’t sure I was connecting all the dots correctly.
“Ji-na…I’ve wanted to say something like this for a long time.” He said looking down at his shoes, shifting back and forth. 
“What? Ok, really now! Stop it!” I slapped his shoulder. “How can you kid about this?” I said, only half laughing, only half meaning what I said. Inside of me…the dreaded feeling that he was telling the truth…. 
He looked up, a frown on his face. “I’m not kidding. Ji-na…I really like you.”
He wasn’t kidding.
I nodded slowly, unsure of how to react. “I…I don’t….” I shook my head. “What…I don’t even know what to say.” I blurted out. I was blushing, but this was all weird. I mean…he’s practically my brother, for crying out loud!!! This is Yoseob we’re talking about, that silly kid from across the street! It was just wrong! Was I embarrassed? What was I? How long had he been keeping this inside him? Months? Years? All this time… never in the entire world would have the thought come to mind….not even the possibility….
“You just kept bugging me about it, and…I dunno.” He turned red, and I cringed. Ok, this was weird.
“No, no.” I shook my head. “We’re…friends! Nothing else! This is just weird! What the heck!” I didn’t think about what I was saying, since we were friends for so long that I didn’t really care about what I said. I kinda didn’t care if I hurt his feelings. He deserves it if he’s just gonna blab about things like that without thinking! I thought to myself.
“No, I just can’t think of you like that.” I said, looking away, anywhere but his face. 
“Because I’m not KiKwang.” He stated. “I’m not your prince?” He stepped forward, and I was suddenly freaked out. Who was this kid?!
He continued. “What do you know about ‘happily ever after’, anyways? Ji-na! You don’t know anything! Sometimes--”
Um, excuse me? I jumped back. “Oh, so now I don’t know anything? I know that if this is the way you treat the girl you like,” I grimaced, still swallowing the truth, “Then I wouldn’t like you if you were the last person on earth!”
“Listen to me!” he said, taking my hand. Now the touch was something different and weird now that there was new intention.
“No! Leave me alone!” I exclaimed. I freed my hand and ran, as if he were some serial killer.
“Ji-na! Ji-na!” He shouted to me. I didn’t even turn around, afraid of seeing him catching up to me.
I didn’t stop until I got to my room.
I closed the door, and locked it. I slid down to the floor, breathing hard, my head buzzing with thoughts.

 

omomomomomo!!!! D: what will happen next? kekekeke ;D comment belowwww, yoooo~ :D