Chapter 2

The Happily Ever After

“You practiced real well today, Ji-na,” My vocal teacher, Sun-Ming, praised me. 
“Thank you!” I bowed, clutching my worn songbooks. “Thank you for your time. Next week on Saturday, right?” I said, opening the door, feeling the rush of late January air wrap around me. I tightened my coat around me. “Bye!” I waved, my boots scuffing over the slushed snow. Yes, finally the sun was out and spring would be here soon~ I smiled to myself, walking. Spring was the season of love! But even before spring comes Valentines day! I squeezed my eyes shut, excited. I wanted this Valentines Day to be perfect, because it would be the day that I would confess to KiKwang Oppa.
“AH~! Oppa, I’m coming!” I shouted to the air, laughing.
I stopped by the dance studio, where I knew KiKwang-oppa, Yoseob and their band would be practicing. Just to go in for a peek…
I peered through the clear glass door. They were all being taught steps to a dance. I grinned seeing KiKwang-oppa in his glasses….so cute! He turned in my direction, and my heart pounded excitedly. I waved shyly, despite the circus going on inside of me. He grinned and waved back. Yoseob also looked, and he stuck out his tongue. I did the same. Aigoo, that guy~
I went straight home, ready to get started on my game plan. I didn’t want to leave any loopholes for disaster.
I cautiously stepped into my room, making sure Yoseob wasn’t anywhere to jump out and scare me. Clear.
I sat at the foot of my bed on the floor, and tapped my pencil eraser on my chin. What should I do…since he graduated last year, I don’t get to see him anymore at school…so I can’t go to his homeroom or anything like that….does that mean I have to go to the studio and present it to him in front of everyone? Aish! I bit my lip. Ok, let’s start with chocolate…
I heard a rap at the door. “Hey!” Yoseob’s voice said.
I sighed and looked at the ceiling. “What do you want.”
“Can I come in?”
“Sure.”
He stepped in at sat on the floor next to me, peering at my notes. “What are you doing?” He raised his eyebrows. 
I held the notebook to my chest, defensive. “I’m…I’m making plans.”
“For…” He gestured for me to continue.
“For…for Valentines.” I said offishly, blushing all the while.
“Ahhh~ yes, yes yes. Valentines, valentines. I should have known.” He leaned against my bed, looking up at the ceiling. “No doubt you’re going to propose to KiKwang.”
“Stop it!” I said, slapping his shoulder. “I am not!”
“Then what are you gonna do? Confess?”
I drew in a breath, turning more red. “Maybe.” I shifted.
“Ah! That’s it.” He nodded. “I knew it. I only know you too well.” He said looking down at my list, not smiling.
“What are you doing for Valentines?” I said, changing the subject, eager to distract him from teasing me.
“Oh, you know. The usual. The ladies line up for me, you see.” He cocked his head and winked at me. “I have to draw out an escape plan there’s so many.”
I laughed. “That’s so ridiculous!”
He laughed, his contagiously happy smile shining. “Why are you doubting me?” He pointed at his chest. “What, you don’t believe me?”
“No, I don’t.” I said loftily. 
“Just look at these!” He flexed an arm, even corded muscles visible. I was impressed, but not to the point of letting him know and praising him. That would only make his ego worse. 
“Nothing compared to KiKwang-oppa.” I said simply. A one-liner that always caught him.
He deflated. “Psh. KiKwang-oppa, ohhhh KiKwang-oppa~~!!” He mocked me in a cracking girly voice, swaying his arms this way and that. 
I laughed again. Normally I would be ticked, but I was in a good mood thinking of Valentines’ Day.
“Have you ever thought about anyone else?” Yoseob said, disgusted, seeing me sketch out his initials in English.
“No. He’s my first and only love. I know it.” I shaded in a capital “K”.
“You don’t know everything. Only God knows everything.” He said.
I rolled my eyes. “Thank you for your input mister Yang.” Then my face lit up. “Hmmmm…..” I squinted at him. “Who do you like? I talk way too much for my own good. You’ve never told me who you like… Time for you to spill.” I put down my pad of paper and pencil, giving him my undivided attention.
He side-glanced me and puckered up his face in displeasure. “None of your business.” He pouted and folded his arms across his chest. 
“Come on! Hmm….do I know her?” I pressed.
“Maybe.”
“Is she cute?”
“I think so.”
“Ahhh….” I mused. “I want to meet this crazy girl who likes you.” I laughed.
“I never said she likes me back.” He said quietly, looking down at the paper.
“Oh.” I said. “You mean…you don’t know yet.”
“Well, I mean that she likes another guy.” 
My heart swelled and went out to him. Yoseob was one of my best friends, and I felt for him. I suddenly hugged him. “Don’t worry! You’ll find your happily ever after! Just let her know, and I’m sure she’ll realize that you’re a great guy.” 
He was still and I could feel his heart rapidly beating, and his face was flushed. He got up. “I’m…gonna go.” He pulled his cap over his head.
“Are you sure you don’t want to make Valentine plans together? I mean, we could help each other out! I’m a girl, so I could tell you--”
“No, I’m just….gonna go.” He shut the door behind him.
Hmm…he must like her a lot, I thought, looking down at my notepad. Ok, back to work~~