Chapter 6

The Happily Ever After

 

I couldn’t think about anything else but Yoseob that day. I lay in my bed, staring at my ceiling, replaying our last moments together.I touched my forehead where he kissed me…and closed my eyes. His smile…my heart beat fast. I sat up suddenly, and took off his red cap, putting it on my dresser. It was his favorite. Right now….he would be bursting through my door, without knocking…want something to eat, or to play a game…but then I would say, “No, I’m busy thinking about KiKwang-oppa”…ah! KiKwang-oppa. 

With their visit hiatus…I can’t really do much except call or text. I guess I can deliver food too…but I need to see him…
“With both KiKwang-oppa and Yoseob gone…things are going to be very boring around here.” I said to myself, looking at the picture of us. 

 

I had dreamed all week of this big day, and how I should re-confess to KiKwang-oppa. The letter route obviously wasn’t the way to go, so…I’m just going to say it straight out. “You look fine.” I pep talked myself that next Saturday. “You’ll be fine.” I honestly couldn’t think of anything else to say to myself to call the jitters. I wore a purple and green striped top and some capris. I decided to curl my hair just to shake things up a little~ maybe I’ll put on lipglosss…ah, but I always end up peeling it off anyways…and that’s just weird…I don’t want him to see me weird… 
It was dusk, so the streetlights were casting an orange glow as I walked. I could hear crickets. “Summer is so nice~” I mused as I came closer to the commotion of the festival. It was a cute small one, but me and Yoseob have gone together since…well, forever. My conscience delivered its package of guilty right on queue—aish! I shook my head. Nothing is going to ruin tonight, I scolded myself. Just relax and have fun! He wanted to see you too! I smiled, trying to be confident.
“Hey, Ji-nannniiieeee~” Yoseob said in my head. “We have to go do goldfish catching first! You know I’m a pro!”
I laughed. “You always say that, and end up catching only one!” I said outloud.
He rolled his eyes. “You never know what you’re talking about~ come on, come on!” He would maybe reach out for my hand, and--
I shook my head. “I’m seriously going crazy.” 


I wandered into the lit up area where the festival was being held. Bright glowing lamp lights, Sounds of chattering happy people, smells of yummy snack food. I was excited. “Yah, Yoseob! Where do you….” I said outloud, looking to the side of me to find no one. I quickly turned away, and kept walking. 
“Get a hold of yourself!” I whispered to myself furiously. Seriously, I must be going crazy….where was KiKwang-oppa…ah, well. I came kinda early, I’ll call him in a few minutes. 
I came to the shooting range. I was always good at this one! 
“By yourself, dearie?” An old guy on a stool said smiling. 
I looked beside me. Empty air. “Yes. But I have a friend coming soon.” I added quickly. He handed me the gun.
“Ok, I got this!” I aimed carefully. 
“No pressure, no pressure! Go go go!!” Yoseob shouted at me, laughing. 
“Stop it! I’m trying to concentrate!” I shouted back, laughing.
“Stop what? Something wrong?” The old man said, looking worried. 
I blushed, feeling the epitome of stupid. I handed him back the gun, and decided to call KiKwang-oppa.
“KiKwang-oppa? Where are you?” I asked. 
“We’re over here, by the cotton candy!” His voice sounded real loud and close. I turned around, and saw him waving, phone pressed to his ear, and—
Who…who is that. 
We slowly walked towards eachother. My eyes were glued to the girl beside him.
Holding his hand.
Not like a sister.
Not like a friend.
“H-hi.” I said slowly, and bowed.
“Hey!” KiKwang-oppa said enthusiastically. 
“Y..Yeah.” I said dully.
“Oh! Right! This is my friend that I was gonna have you meet from a while ago. Guess we never got around to it with all this debut stuff,” He said. “This is my girlfriend, Kwon Min-Yun. Min-Yunnie, this is my friend Lee Ji-na.”
“Nice to meet you.” I bowed. “Um, I have to go.” I said.
“Huh? But we all just got here! There’s a firework show around 10, right? We should all go--”
“No, really. I fell sick. I need to…go. Have fun.” I turned around and left. 
I ran. I ran, pushing people, and out of the lit up section into the dim streetlight way home.
Honestly…I should have known. 
How could I be so stupid to not know…that his “friend”…
Was a girl...I’m only his sister to him. Not a future…anything. Just…a friend…but not the right kind of friend.
I came in my room, and locked the door. I was waiting for the tears to come. I was definitely mad and sad enough…what was wrong with me? I mean, KiKwang-oppa and I…we’re meant to be! We’re first love at first sight! That’s how it’s supposed to be. But if he has a girlfriend…that more than anything…should tell me it’s not meant to be, right?
Then who? When would he come?
When would my prince, my happily ever after come? Would it ever come? I hated being so uncertain! 
I liked the first and only love theory: it was definite. 
Well, it was supposed to be. 
I got out “My First Fairytales” and flipped through the pages for inspiration. Did I miss a part in Cinderella? Maybe her Prince Charming wasn’t love at first sight…nope. He was. Or Snow White, maybe that was where it was…but he woke her from true love’s kiss and he didn’t even know her, so that knocks out that option…
I flipped to “Beauty and the Beast”, and found an envelope marked: “Ji-nannie” on it. There’s only one person in the whole world who calls me that. My stomach flipped.
I opened the flap, and found a note:

Feb. 14, 2010
To Ji-nannie~! 
I don’t know when you’ll find this note, or if you’ll find it and ignore it, but…I hope you know that I think you’re the greatest girl in the whole world. Don’t feel down about what KiKwang said to you today. I hope that someday you can find your prince and live your happily ever after. But I want you to remember that…not all fairytales are the same. You know Beauty and the Beast is my favorite!! Kekekeke Maybe your prince is like that beast, you know, not all that obvious at first. But maybe…sooner or later he could transform, and be a prince. Just for you.
I hope he finds you someday.
And don’t marry KiKwang!!! He’s not it. Trust me! 
And stop bugging me about who I like!! Maybe you’d stop annoying me, I’d tell you!!
Hope your happily ever after turns out for you. You’re the best!!!!! Remember that!!!
---Seobie.


I just stared at it. And after all this time…it clicked. 
It finally clicked.
I looked inside the envelope and saw the picture that Yoseob had given to me before he left, the same one. A black marked arrow told me to flip it over.
I recognized his mom’s handwriting:

June 9th, 2001—Lee Ji-na and her “prince” Yang Yoseob.

 

AHHHH!!! 8D what will happen next?! XD