A Snowy Night

Aldebaran

 

One by one, the snowflakes fell to the ground. The boy quickly grabbed his coat and hurried out the house. It was winter. Everything was covered with white. He liked white. It was a soothing colour.  He scampered up the long flight of stairs, heaving and puffing when he finally reached the top. His round cheeks were flushed.  Nevertheless, he darted out towards the big open space in front of him, flailing his arms. The snow landed on his puny hand. He stared at it intently as it slowly melted away.  Then he saw him. A boy no older than him was lying on the cold floor and looking at the night sky.

 

 “Stargazing,” he mumbled to himself.

 

 The tiny figure moved.  Shocked, the boy stepped back.

 

 “I… I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you!” He looked down apologetically.

 

 The stargazer sat up and motioned him to go over. He patted the ground beside him and smiled. The boy inched himself closer. Nervously, he took a seat beside the stranger.

 

 “The night sky is beautiful.” The boy heard him say.

 

 He glanced up at the night sky and nodded meekly. It was beautiful indeed; maybe not as beautiful as the snow for he really loved winter. 

 

 “My name is Jason!” The stargazer turned over to look at him. “I just moved here recently, and I really love the night sky here.” He beamed. The boy stared at the stranger. His features were good - a sharp nose, fair skin and big round eyes that sparkled.

 

 Jason frowned and kept his extended hand. He waved his hand at the boy whose mind was far away, his mouth forming a tiny ‘O’ shape. The boy snapped to his senses and hung his head in embarrassment. He extended his hand.

 

 “I’m Lee Jung Hwan.” His voice came out as a whisper.

 

 Jason shook his hand.

 

 “It’s nice knowing you!” Jason smiled.

 

 They sat there in silence watching the stars and the snow. They met on a snowy night, that snowy night.