Protect

Will It Always Be Like This?

You sit on your bed, holding the necklace near you, gripping it tightly. You’re still not sure how to feel, but the guilt is slowly creeping from your stomach to your throat. Fear and sadness fill you as well. It was only the night before that your boyfriend had threatened you to not be around Jungkook.

‘Jungkook never answered my question’ You think to yourself.

“Jungkook…” You say aloud as you picture the kiss in your mind, how he pulled you to him, how he caressed your face… it continues to replay like a scene from a movie, but what struck you as odd was that Jungkook looked so sad seconds after kissing you and yet here you were, not a tear on your face.

“This isn’t right…” You tell yourself. You felt guilty, but not to the point to where you regretted what you did. It was nearly eleven p.m. your boyfriend had not given you a call or sent you a message, yet the five boys made an effort to come see you and do so much for you. You put the necklace around your neck, smiling afterwards because it really was an amazing day, one to think back on as Jungkook wanted.

Memories between you and your boyfriend flood your mind. ‘We started off so well…’ You think to yourself, your heart starts to ache. You take a deep breath, trying to liberate yourself from the crushing feeling of your chest. You look at your phone. Sometimes your boyfriend is working late at night, maybe he’s working late tonight you think to yourself and that’s why he couldn’t come... You build up the energy and courage to decide to go see him and talk to him. Maybe we’re better off not seeing each other you decide in your mind. You grab your car keys and head out of your loft and into your car.

You go into the store and ask other employees if your boyfriend is around. Their response leaves you confused; “He left earlier today with someone, couldn’t see who it was because they were wearing a hoodie.”

You walk back to your car and decide to head to his place, where else could he possibly be? You pull up on the driveway, get out of your car and knock on the door.

No answer.

You have the keys to his place, just as he has keys to yours. You’re looking for them on your lanyard full of keys, but his isn’t there. You decide to try the door knob, the door is unlocked.

“Hello?” you say aloud as you walk in, closing the door behind you. Everything is dark, and nearly silent except for some sound of movement coming from kitchen. You turn on the lights as you make your way through the house towards the kitchen. You stand in the doorway leading to the kitchen and see someone sitting on a chair right in the middle of the kitchen in a rather haphazard, slumped position. You turn on the lights and as your eyes adjust, you see that this person is tied up, arms behind the chair, legs tied to the legs of the chair and duct tape across their mouth. As soon as your eyes can see clearly, you gasp.

It’s your boyfriend.

You run towards him, he’s not exactly unconscious but is very near being so. You take the duct tape off his mouth and grab his face, trying to get him to look at you, trying to keep him awake. You move behind him, untying the rope that bound his arms and legs. You try to keep him still on the chair so he doesn’t fall to the floor. He’s unconscious now and his weight is on you, you fall to the floor. You get him off of you gently and quickly run towards the living room, clearing the couch. You decide to lock all the doors leading outside. You run back to the kitchen and pick up your boyfriend from the underarms, dragging him to the living room. After a while of struggling, you get to the couch and pull him up on it. You sit on the floor, watching him, not sure what to do next other than take care of him. It doesn’t look like he was beaten only his wrists are bruised from the rope. You sit there, hugging yourself, trying to comprehend why this could have happened to him. Every little noise of the night makes you more paranoid, scared for your life and his.

And then there’s the noise from his bedroom. An urge to protect both your boyfriend and yourself overcomes your fear. You head towards the bedroom, not sure what to expect. You hear the noises again as you’re grabbing the doorknob. Your heart is nearly about to pump out of your chest, but you need to keep your boyfriend safe so you open, half ready to protect yourself.

You see someone on his bed, unconscious as well. A woman. You slowly back away from the bedroom, heading back into the living room when you see that someone else is in the bedroom, someone in the hoodie. You run towards the kitchen, the only place where there is a source of light.

“WHO ARE YOU!?” You shout. You see someone enter the kitchen, your eyes are focused on only that one person for your sake. The black hoodie they’re wearing covers their face, as they speak.

“I only want to protect you.” Chills run down your spine, you recognize this voice. The person slowly looks up, directly into your eyes with the most serious gaze you have ever seen him with. He makes his way towards you, but you shake your head and step back.

“Jimin…” He’s trying to get closer to you again. “Don’t.” You warn him; you’re scared, but are trying  not to show it.

You watch him and he looks behind you as he quickly speaks, “No! Let me talk to her-”

You shoot Jimin a confused look and decide to look behind you. Another wave of shock hits you. “Jung…kook…?”

Jimin takes the chance to grab you from behind, a cloth going up to your mouth. You continue looking at Jungkook, he's simply standing there, not helping you or stopping Jimin. Tears are rolling down your cheek as you slowly lose conscious.