Sibling Rivalry

The Silver Siblings

Chapter 2

 

May slowly opens her eyes, and all she sees is a white ceiling.  She tries to get up but her head starts to spin and she nearly falls, until someone steadies her back up.

“Are you okay now May?” Quick asks her, as he lifts the pillow and places it behind her. “You did go a bit overboard with Black*Star”

She looks over at him “Yeah… I shouldn’t have done that. I wish I could hold you for longer, but our wavelengths don’t match up” she says sighing and then a small gasp is heard from the end of the bed. They both look to where the sound came from and there was Kid standing with a shocked expression on his face.

“S..sorry for intruding” Kid says with a blush on his face, “I came to give this” He places a gold necklace with a heart charm  into May’s hand. The chain was broken.

“Omg, its broken” A tear starts to fall from her eyes as she notices the chain link was broken on her mother’s necklace.

“I’m sorry, I found it on the ground where you had collapsed. Is it something special? I can get it fixed for you?” Kid asks feeling sorry for May

“It doesn’t matter anyway! Why do you even keep that stupid thing!?” Quick shouts and knocks the necklace out of May’s hand.

May is speechless. Her head drops and her bangs cover her face. She clenches her fists and drops of clear liquid fall onto the duvet in front of her “Get out” She says

“May, I-“ Quick responds but is cut off by May.

“Just GET OUT!” She screams as more tears fall onto the duvet. Quick grits his teeth in anger and storms out of the room, while Kid watches in awe. May wraps her arms around her knees and cries more. Kid slowly walks up towards May’s bed and picks up the necklace off the floor. “I’m sorry you had to see that” May says between sobs. He sits down on the bed next to her and wraps his arms around her, tapping her back lightly.

“It’s okay, everything is okay” Is all he can say.

May cries into his chest, she soon falls asleep and he gently lays her back down.

“I don’t know why, but May… I will protect you.” Kid says before leaving the dispensary.

--------------

Quick angrily stomps to his seat in the classroom.

“So… is May okay?” Maka asks Quick. He just grunts in reply. “Oookay then” She turns around and gives Soul a ‘Do you know what happened look’. Soul just shrugs his shoulder and puts his hands in his pockets not bothered.

Kid soon arrives after Quick and takes his seat. He looks towards where Quick was seated and then he remembers what May had said in the dispensary ‘I wonder if that’s why they came here… was it to look for a new weapon and meister?’ Kid ponders on his thought for a bit before getting back to listening to Professor Stein talk about dissecting a frog in their next class with him.

Soon class finishes and everyone heads to the cafeteria. They all are surprised as they are greeted with May. She had been waiting for them at the cafeteria entrance. She had only waited for 5 minutes, since that was when she was dismissed from the dispensary.

“Feeling better May?” Maka asks her. May smiles in return.

“Yeah actually, I feel ten times better” She then looks towards Kid “And thank you Kid…f-for c-carrying me to the dispensary” May blushes and Kid looks back in surprise, blushing even more than May.

He clears his throat “I only did what a gentleman should be doing. It is just basic manners” He says as casual as possible still with a red face as he enters the cafeteria. Maka giggles at Kid and then ushers May in.

May notices Soul was giving looks to Kid when he had blushed at her comment… ‘I wonder what’s wrong with him?’ She thought before shrugging her shoulders and following Maka.

“WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!” May’s eyes glitter as she sees the food lined up in the cafeteria. There was food from nearly every country in the world. So much to choose from, she didn’t know where to begin.

They all grab something to eat and sit down. Maka takes her seat and May sits next to her. Liz and Patty sit opposite May and Maka. Kid is about to place his tray next to May when Soul pushes it away and places his own tray there. He sits and then looks toward Kid with a toothy grin on his face. Kid gives him a Death Glare and then tells Patty to move down so he can sit opposite May.

Black*Star and Tsubaki soon join the table as they both take their seats next to Soul.

“YAHOO! The almighty Black*Star is back! I will surpass God some day! May you wait and watch! Next time I won’t go easy on you!” He exclaims stand on the table pointing at May “I’ve got to say though May, you’re a pretty good fighter, but not as good as me Black*Star!”

“Black*Star that’s enough, get off the table” Tsubaki says in a calm tone while pulling him off the table. Everyone laughs at the big headed blue haired clown.

“You’re not so bad yourself Black*Star” May replies and he blushes and then put his big grin on again.

“So May… how are you liking your first day at Shibusen?” Maka asks her

“I love it! Especially this food!” She says munching on her fries. Maka giggles at the crazy girl.

“I hope you’re okay now? What happened back there?” Maka enquires.

May stays silent for a bit, when she looks up she sees Kid have a reassuring smile on his face which makes her feel better. “Well… Me and Quick are siblings so you would expect that I could handle his weapon from, however, for some odd reason our soul wavelengths don’t match. So in theory, I can’t hold him for long without me coming into harm.” Everybody listens with sympathy in their eyes… May sighs and then carries on “That’s why we both came here. Quick will look for a new meister, while I’ll be looking for a new weapon.”

“Ah I see. Can I asks you another question May? Quick was really angry when he came into class, do you know why? He was with you before he came in so…” She asks

“Oh…” May’s eyes droop and then she tries to hold back her tears.

Kid notices, so he adds “She doesn’t want to talk about what happened, I hope you can understand. It’s a personal matter between the two siblings, which only they can resolve themselves”

Soul gives Kid looks ‘How the heck does he know what’s wrong?’ He thinks then his attention goes back to May as she sighs again.

“No Kid” She utters, causing Kid to look surprised “I..I think I should tell you guys why” They all keep quiet as they pay attention to what May is about to say next “Me and Quick, we’re sibling right? So we obviously love each other. But one thing that comes between us is our parents” Everyone gasps “It wasn’t my father that Quick had a problem with, but my mother. My father was a weapon, he was actually a death scythe”

“Cool” Soul says, May smiles back

“Yeah it is cool. But my mother….” She hesitates then swallows her spit before carrying on “My mother was a witch” Everyone’s eyes widen in shock at the information they had just gotten. “Yeah shocking right. However, my mother wasn’t a bad witch… she loved us and looked after us… until the day came when our father passed away… she left us. But it wasn’t in spite. She just didn’t have the means to look after us, she was in a desperate situation. The other witches had told her that they would take us away. Either that or abandon us. She didn’t want us to get hurt so the only thing left to do was put us in an orphanage. Quick thinks that our mother abandoned us because she just wanted to join the witches again and that she didn’t actually care for us… he just doesn’t want to believe me” May tried hard to hold back her tears, but they just flowed down her face.

Maka rubs May’s back and Soul brings her into a hug “Don’t cry May, we understand you” She soon stops crying and pulls away from Soul, wiping her tears.

“Thank you Soul” She attempts a smile.

“It’s alright, I’m just cool like that” He gives May a toothy grin and she just giggles at him. “But May… doesn’t that make you a witch?” He asks

“Actually no. Almost none of my Mother’s witch genes had been passed down. Well except for one”

“And what is that?”

“Well, maybe I should do a demonstration.”

“That would be awesome! Let’s go out into the front courtyard” Maka says and everyone follows.

May walks up to Soul and he looks at her with a confused expression “I know I won’t be able to wield you for long, but for this demonstration can you help me?” May asks Soul

Soul blushes “S-Sure” He says thinking that he sounded really un-cool.

“Thank you” Soul transforms into his scythe form and May grabs the scythes handle tightly with both hands.

She closes her eyes and the Scythe starts to glow as a silver light emits from it. She pulls both hands in opposite directions and the Scythe start to split in half and form the same identical scythe in both hands. Everyone looks in shock as May holds both the scythes in battle stance.

“Oh wow! Look at the perfect symmetry!” Kid cries out in joy.

“Woah May, this is awesome!” Soul says through both scythes at the same time.

“Yeah but I won’t last any longer so Soul I’m going to change you back now” She says, her breath becoming heavy. May connects both the scythes back together and the scythe becomes one again. “S-Soul” May says through gritted teeth”

He grunts in agreement and then changes back into human form. May feels dizzy and starts to fall but Soul catches her by her shoulders before she lands on her knees. He lifts her up to her feet and she grabs his shirt to balance herself. “T-Thanks Soul” She says steadying herself and stands up straight, still just mere inches away from Soul.

“You okay now?” He asks, she nods in reply “You were so cool May” He grins and blushes, she smiles back.

“WOAH THAT WAS AWESOME MAY! ALMOST AS AMAZING AS ME!” Black*Star exclaims

“Yeah that was amazing!” Maka joins in.

“Yes very marvellous” Kid says. He grabs May’s hand “Come on now or we will be late for the next class”

May let’s go of Soul’s shirt and is pulled away towards the school building. Soul grunts in annoyance and follows behind.

--------

Quick was in the next class already and seemed to look really depressed. He looked up towards the incoming students and at May, feeling sorry for what he had done earlier. He didn’t mean to make her cry, he just didn’t like the idea of May still holding onto the stupid necklace. I mean how can she keep that when it was their mother’s? The mother that abandoned them both for the other witches. He hated being angry at May, so he decided to apologise.

Quick walked up to the group of friends directly headed towards May. Someone comes in front of him blocking his way to her.

“Soul, move out the way” He says trying to go past him, but Soul just blocks his way again.

“No, don’t try and hurt May again” He says through gritted teeth. May grabs on to Kid’s arm feeling the tension between the two boys.

“I’m not going to hurt her, just move out the way. This has nothing to do with you, it’s between me and her, so don’t try to interfere.”

“I’m sorry Quick, but I’m not moving. If it’s got something to with May, then it has something to do with me, got it” Soul says sternly, causing a gasp to escape from May’s mouth.

Quick just sighs “I don’t want to argue with you Soul, I came here to apologise to May. I know I’ve hurt her, so I came to say I’m sorry, so can you please move out the way”

Soul looks at him in shock, he didn’t expect that. Soul gives Quick a pat on his shoulder and a toothy grin “You actually did something cool for once” he says then moves out the way.

Quick walks up to May and embraces her into a hug, she lets go of Kid and hugs Quick back. “I’m sorry okay. I don’t want to be mad at my sister, can you please forgive me” He asks her.

May’s tears start to spill and she nods her head in reply “You’re forgiven” she whispers, just loud enough for him to hear. He smiles back at her and she smiles too.

“Right! Now that’s sorted, shall we start the class” Miss Nygus says and so the physical education class begins.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please comment and let me know how this story is going so far? and if I should carry on? xx