Chapter 7

The Dream Hunter

It was already dark when I chased out of the house. Donghae was walking on the asphalt road with the lamp post illuminated on him, casting long shadow.

Because Donghae was not aware that there would be guests coming and so he was in his causal home outfit. On his feet was his favoured oranges striped Nemo slippers. His soft hair had a golden glow when the lights shone on him. From my angle I could see Donghae's long eye lashes moving and his lips were pursed. He did not see to be too happy.....

Donghae was not going to run away from home right?

I ran after Donghae and grabbed his arm," Why did you become angry all of a sudden? What happened?" I asked carefully. 

Donghae turned around and shook off my hand. "Shouldn't you know perfectly why I am angry?" Donghae glared at me.

"I... You are angry that I invited the whole class here to throw the surprise birthday party without seeking your permission?" But earlier on, Donghae did not react much when the class turned up at the door.

"Seriously, do you really know or not?" Donghae gritted his teeth. He pressed his hands on my shoulders and I felt like he was going to crush my shoulders. Donghae stared right at my eyes and I could see storm brewing in his amber iris, which could swallow me up," Why did you push Jessica to me? Is this fun for you? Stop all this nonsense! Aishi..."

"I... I see that you are comfortable around her and so I thought this will make you happy... " I spoke in my softest voice.

"I was comfortable with Jessica because we grew up together... We are childhood friends." Donghae sighed.

"But...."

"What?"

"Sorry..."

I am so useless as I kept messing up things.

Donghae patted my shoulders and ruffled my hair," Okay, don't be like this. I know that you are doing this for me..."

"But it always backfired."

"Okay this time round is my fault. I should not have vent my anger on you." Donghae spoke," But next time, don't try to do something like this because it will bring problems for me."

"But I. .." I remembered that I ascertain my guess when I asked Donghae.. Oh, Donghae did not say that he like Jessica.

"What are mumbling?" Donghae eyed me but his expressions was gentle. I saw my reflection in his amber iris due to the light on them.

Suddenly, I felt my heart beat fast unknowingly. 

Donghae wanted to say something but his mobile phone rang.

I quickly let go of his hand and stepped backwards," Your phone is ringing, answer it...."

Donghae ruffled my hair again before he took out his mobile phone.  Seeing the screen, Donghae's expression changed and there was glow in his eyes.

I stole a glance and saw 'Appa' flashing on the screen.

No wonder.... It was a call from Donghae's Appa.

I stepped away from Donghae so that he could talk privately with his Appa.

The surroundings was so quiet except for a faint cricket sound in the bushes plus the soft sound of the waves hitting on the shore which was not far away. I also heard low murmurs of Donghae's voice....

The conversation did not take long and I estimated it to be about 5 minutes. Donghae hung up the call and came to me.

At this juncture, a vehicle stopped by us. A young man alighted and he was wearing a suite. He bowed and handed a box of cake with an envelope to Donghae. "Young master, happy birthday.  These are the gifts prepared by Master. He has an important meeting today and he can't cancel it. Hence, Master imstructed me to send these to you. In the envelope contained 2 VIP tickets to Super Junior concert. Master said that he hoped you will bring a friend along for the concert."

"I understand and thank you." Donghae took the envelope but he handed the super big box of cake to me.

After the man in suite left, Donghae's mood was much better.

I was lugging the heavy cake while walking back home with Donghae. Donghae kept staring at the 2 VIP tickets for Super Junior concert.

"Why did you Appa said to you to make you so happy?" It was the first time that I saw such a happy Donghae although he did not smile.

"Nothing much...." It was rare that Donghae did not divert the topic. He tilted his head and looked around the skies," It was roughly the same as what Appa's Assistant had spoke. He wish me happy birthday and he pre reserved the VIP tickets to Super Junior concert since Appa knew that I will watch their concert every year. He hoped that I will bring the friend who sent the message, along to Super Junior concert."

Oh... Donghae's Appa must have a deep impression of me... like that prankster kid... woo woo it was so embarassing.

"Hey you did not tell your Appa who is that friend right?"

"Make a guess..."

"Meanieeeee Donghae. You are too much!"

"Of course not, you Pabo. What didn't you feel embarassed when you send the message? "

"I...." I did not think too much then as I wanted to make Donghae happy.

"Thank you Eunhyuk." Donghae turned back and thanked me. He was so sincere that his eyes shone like stars in the night. 

Aishi why was Donghae being so serious...

"I am very happy today. It had been so many years that Appa remembered my birthday. He would not have remember if it wasn't for you...."

Although Donghae spoke in a nonchalant manner, I somehow felt a tug in my heart. I felt like hugging him, to console him...

The super big cake caused a second highlight of the birthday party. Before I knew what happened,  everyone was smearing the cake on one another.

I peeped at Donghae and realized that both of us had never played this game before.  I was itching to join in the game and so I grabbed a lump of cream and smeared on Donghae's face.

Donghae was stunned at what had happened and he looked blank with his creamy expression. I was guilty conscious that Donghae would flare up at me.

However, I was lucky because Donghae recovered and he scooped a lot of cream and pouched on me. "Yah! You evil brat. How dare you ambush me. Are you tired of living?"

"Arrggghhh. ..." I started to run.

The living room was in total chaos with everyone chasing each other. The cake and cream were flying all over....

I ran with all my might but Donghae had long limbs and soon I was being pinned onto a wall. His creamy hand slapped onto my cute face.

"Arrgggghhhh......"

The greatest meanieeee......

"Ha ha Eunhyuk you are so funny haha." A laughing like crazy man aka Ryeowook came from an unknown place and mocked at me.

"Avenge for me! Ryeowook..." I flagged my arms while trying to grab onto Ryeowook but another slap came to me.

Ryeowook looked at me and looked at Donghae. Donghae's glare made my best friend gulped and raised his arms in surrender. Ryeowook is such a scaredy cat!

Ryeowook gave out a chuckle and shrugged his shoulders but the next second he let out a creepy smirk.... I felt that he was up to something bad! I am right, because Ryeowook's raised creamy arms came slapping on my face!

"Yah! You traitor!"

Donghae was a bit surprise by Ryeowook's attack and he smirked. Donghae came close and poked my cheeks," Now you know what will be the consequence for offending me."

Before I could rebuke back, shrieks were heard. The girls had stopped playing about and we're having this obsessed expressions. Some of them were holding their faces while yelling," He is so handsome!" Or "I like this aspect of Donghae!"....

Huh? Why did it become like this? How come no one pity me aka the poor victim here? I wondered was it my high pitched whining voice or Ryeowook's evil laughter that attracted Sungmin over. Sungmin's chubby hand came down and the cream on my face thicken by another 1 millimetres. Next I saw the class monitor Shindong, vice monitor Henry and other classmates coming to us.... They even lined up in a queue to smear cream on my neck, hair and clothing too.

Arrgghh why am I the target when the birthday boy was just next to me! Shouldn't this cream smearing acts landed on the birthday boy? Although they were scared of Donghae, they should not treat me like this! I wanted to cry but nothing came out from my eyes....

Soon everyone badded farewell and Donghae released his gripe on me. He pinched my nose," You look so adorable like this."

I swatted his hand away and rolled my eyes. I wanted to go to the bathroom to wash off the cream. I spotted Jessica standing at the corner. She was holding onto a glass of fruit punch and she was not smear with any cream. She had this complex expression on her face which was a mixture of envy, jealousy and mockery. What was the matter with her for her mood to change again?

"Don't be cocky! Donghae is friendly with you because you are merely staying here with him," she whispered when I walked pass her.

Huh. When was I being cocky?

I believed that I started to get used to her crankiness and her ever changing moods. Although I am unsure what had I done to offend her, I was not in the mood to say much because I am dying to clean up the cream.

                              ***************************

Donghae seemed be in a better spirit after his birthday party but the relationship between him and the classmates was still pretty much the same. However, Donghae's dark eye rings on his eyes was getting lighter and his face had this little glow in him. 

Althought I had yet to see Donghae's smile, I knew that it wouldn't be too far from the day that I destroyed that big Nightmare spirit.

On the day of Superjunior concert, Donghae dragged me to the venue very early. We were at the VIP seats, waiting for the concert to start.

This was the first time that I been to a concert and I was shocked by the rowdy scene with fans screaming and shouting away. Instinctively, I grabbed Donghae's hand. Donghae was a little stunned but he just lowered his head and stared at his hand that I was grabbing, without the intention of withdrawing his hand.

The concert started and when those figures appeared on the stage, Donghae's gaze never left them.

Strictly speaking, I had not chase after any idol and I am not even considered as an Elf. Because of Donghae, I starting looking up on the Internet to learn about them; to the extent of seeing the wrong date to welcome them at airport. Thereafter,  Donghae's Appa bought Super Junior concert tickets specially for Donghae and for Donghae to bring me here. I also listened to their old albums and asked Donghae about them.... now I understood Donghae's comments about Super Junior that he made the other day.

Warmth -- Super Junior was definitely the best spoke person for this. Their warm smiles, caring gestures and humble personality plus the willingness to go through any hardship. ... It was no wonder that they became the King of Hallyuwave.

A fast track song together with their precise dance steps sent the whole concert hall into another level of excitement.

While Super Junior left the stage to change into the outfit for their next songs, the screen projected a video of them. Super Junior members were perspiring in the dance room, practising for the concert and they were smiling sheepishly at the camera...

The lights shone on them, reflecting the beads of sweat on their face and it appeared to me that it was the price to pay for success!

The camera pulled back and the leader stood up," Hello, can you see us?" Though this was a pre recorded video, the fans screamed a series of loud "Yes!" "I love you!" 

The leader cleared his throat and became serious," We knew that you can't see us but he will take your place to watch us. We will work hard...."

Were they talking about Donghae's Umma? I peeped at Donghae and saw him sitting straight while his eyes were blinking and staring at the video. When the speech ended, the other members came together. They looked tired but they had the confident smiles and started echoing," Noona, can you see us? We succeeded! "

"My dance had improve tremendously."

"I made sure that they eat proper meals all the time!"

"I miss those days and thank you for the faith in us!"

"Thank you for never giving up on us..."

"We work hard to fulfill the promise that we made with you..."

Donghae's eyes started to get teary and he clenched his fists, trying hard to control himself.

"Are... are you okay?" I was worried for Donghae.

Donghae looked up and held my hand tightly, " Hyungs never forget. They remember umma just like me..."

I felt pain in my hand but a certain part on my heart ached more.

"Some people come and go but some will alway remains in other's heart." I could only squeeze out this only word to console Donghae.

Luckily, Super Junior returned to the stage. A sudden burst of firework and the screen disappeared. They were holding to the microphones and sat on the steps of the stage.

"She appeared while we were still trainees and that was the turning point for Super Junior. We will meet a lot of people in our lives and they assumed different roles. She is definitely our mentor and I guess all our Elf knew who we are talking about. Yes! She is our late Manager Mrs Lee who form Super Junior! Although she left us many years ago, we will never forget the sacrifice that she made! We have fulfilled the promises that we made to her. Now we are going to make an announcement which is the last promise that Super Junior is going to fulfil to Mrs Lee and that is Super Junior world concert will be starting at the later part of this year!"

I turned and saw Donghae's eyes turning red and his cherry lips trembling. I grabbed Donghae's hand.

The whole hall broke into a crazy cheers and applause.  A lot of fans stood up and waved their banners, light sticks, posters. Soon chants of "Super Junior" could be heard.

Donghae looked at me and I smiled at him," Your umma will be so proud of them..."

"In order to pay our respect to our Manager Mrs Lee, our dear mentor and Noona, we will be dedicating the next song to her and Elf,  please enjoy!"

After the ended their speech, a gentle melody sounded and their heavenly voices lingered throughout the concert hall.

Super Junior members were standing in their spot with no dancers, singing beautifully with their bright smiles.

Their voices hit our heart though the lyrics was not that perfect and all fans were quietly listening to the songs. I felt Donghae's hand trembled but I did not look at him because I was not sure if he was crying now....

But Super Junior members were crying... When the song reached the chorus,  they were hugging one another and I clearly heard their choked voices over the microphone. There was sobbing and sniffling voice from the audiences. All the Elfs could feel the strong bonds between the members and also with their Manager.

When the song ended, all Elfs stood up and thunderous applause sounded while the Super Junior members were huddled in a group hugs.

I turned to look at Donghae  but I saw darkness as my body was pulled into a warm embrace. The faint cologne waved to my nose as Donghae hugged me tightly. His warm breathes were puffed against my ears. My face started to heat up. What.. what happen to Donghae?

"Thank you for everything that you have done for me. Eunhyuk thank you." The hoarse voice sounded in my ears. At this moment, the screams,  the cheers were gone and I could only hear Donghae's words and my fast heart beats....

It was the first time that I was so close with a boy...

It was the first time that someone praised me....

It was the first time that I felt that I am not useless....

I did not know what to do but just brought my hands to hug him.

"Thud..thud...thud...thud..." I did not know if this was the sound of Donghae's heart beat or mine and I felt that I could not breathe.