Chapter 5

The Dream Hunter

""For the next two days, it was peaceful and I wondered if Jessica had read the letter because so far I did not see anything from her.

Nevertheless, the Friday which I had been looking forward to was here..... Keke keke.....I had been hyperactive since the morning when I woke up and even Donghae thought that I am behaving weirdly. During class break, my mobile phone vibrated and it was a text from Donghae.

Donghae: What happen to you today? You appeared  so weird....

I turned my head and saw Donghae looking at me while he was slumping on his desk. It was rare that Donghae did not sleep during the class break as he usually would.

Probably, Donghae did not sleep last night and his dark eye rings were very obvious and he did not look too good. Donghae gave a lazy yawn and he pointed at my mobile phone while he mouthed silently," Reply me."

These few days I realised that Donghae's condition were very bad and it was not because he did not sleep well but he did not sleep. Usually, Donghae forced himself to sleep when he really could not tolerate anymore and he would sleep for an hour or two. Because of this sleeping habit, Donghae hardly got into any dream and so I was not able to sense the Nightmare Spirit.

I put up an Okay sign to Donghae and I also imitated Donghae by lying on my desk. I wanted to check with Donghae if he was free during lunch time. Even if he had anything on, I would think of ways to make him cancel or postponed them.

Me: Do you have anything on during lunch time?

Donghae : Nope. Why? Does it have anything to do with your weird behaviour today?

Me : Hmm, let's go somewhere during lunch time!

Donghae : Where are we going? And what are we doing?

Me : it's a secret!

Keke it would not be a surprise anymore if I revealed to Donghae.

After my last reply, I looked back at Donghae and met his gaze. I could not help but to give him my gummy smile.

Donghae was shocked and he frowned.

I giggled and continued texting Donghae. 

Me : You will know later and you will like it......

Donghae : Okay.

Although I could not sense any expression from Donghae's reply, I imagined him pursing his lips and looked annoyed.

Keke I wondered what would Donghae's reaction be later on? Elated? Shocked? I simply couldn't wait for that.

Whatever the teacher said during the period, I was not paying any attention as I kept glancing at the time on my mobile phone. Why was the time going soooooo slow?

Finally when the bell sounded, I quickly grabbed Donghae and ran out of the school gate. I am pretty lucky today because there was a cab waiting near the school gate when we ran out.

I pulled the confused looking Donghae inside the backseat of the cab and I shouted to the cab driver in front," To the airport and quick!"

The cab driver smiled," Right and sit tight!" and he stepped on the accelerator.

The sudden speed made both of us fell backward. Because Donghae was tall, he bumped his head on the car roof and there was a light snort from him.

Ouch I bet that hurt!

Donghae rubbed his head while he grabbed onto the side armrest. Donghae seemed either annoyed or scared," There is no need to rush."

"No way, we are going to be late if we don't speed up." I did not look at Donghae but kept urging the cab driver to go faster.

The journey from our school to the airport required half an hour provided that the traffic was smooth. The plane touch down time was 12:59 and if we did not hurry, we would missed the arrival time.

That's right! After watching the news about Super Junior, I went online to google and do my research. I came across a headline news that Super Junior flight would touch down on on 13 March, which was today, at 12:59.

Since Super Junior's World tour concert for this year would be held much later in the year, so I came up with this surprise - Bringing Donghae to welcome his idols!

"Why are we going to the airport? We have lessons in the afternoon and will we be able to make it back on time?" Donghae looked at me with a worried expression.

"Don't worry, we will make it back to school on time." Well if nothing went wrong..... I crossed my fingers. (>~<)

"Why are being so hyperactive today? Can't you tell me about it?"

"Nope!"

"Fine. Wake me up when we reached...." Donghae gave up after he was sure that I would not reveal anything and he decided to close his eyes.

"Arrgghhhh" when the cab reached the airport, it was 12:49.

I woke Donghae up rudely and made him pay for the cab fare before I dragged him, running all the way into the Airport.

"Er where will they come out?"

"Yah! What are you doing?" Donghae exploded after being dragged and ran all the way inside.

There were so many entrances and exit points with people walking in and out. " Where is the place to welcome passengers who touched down?"

"This way." Donghae grabbed my hand while he massaged his forehead. He tugged at me to follow him to the Arrival Hall.

Once we reached the Arrival Hall, I saw Donghae's expression was not that good because I knew that he did not like to be in crowded places.

We just need to wait for a while more.... Just a while more... Er it was 12:59!

"How come they are not out yet?"

Donghae was standing beside me and looking at the arrival gate," Don't tell me that the surprise you mentioned was to welcome someone? You had friends coming here?"

"Yah! The plane touch down at 12:59! How come they are not out...." Strictly speaking, they are not my friends but Donghae's friends.

"Maybe they will be a bit late since they needed to walk out of the airplane and cleared the Custom plus retrieving their luggage so....."

"Oh, they are here....." A large crowd walked out but.....

"Huh? Why aren't them out yet?" When the crowd left, I still did not see Super Junior coming out and I was getting anxious.

Donghae and me kept looking at the entrance and he asked," Are you sure that your friends are in this flight?"

"Er.... They can't have last minute changes right?"

"Call them...."

"Er, I do not have their contact numbers. ..."

"What!" Donghae's voice sounded a pitch higher and he looked at ne with a bewildered look," How do you contact them?"

".... We never contact." I replied in my tiniest voice.

Sob sob. Donghae's face looked terrifying. How would I know that it was this troublesome to welcome people here.

"You....."

Donghae realized that he was being scary and he took a deep breathe before he spoke," So what are we going to do now? Don't you dare tell me that your friends do not know you are here to fetch them! "

"Er...." What could I say? Every questions that Donghae posed to me made me getting frightened. Super Junior could have changed their flight right?

"So... what am I going to do?"

"Eunhyuk, explain everything to me first." Donghae took another deep breathe, massaged his temples and looked at me exhaustedly.

" Er..." I spoke timidly," I saw from the Internet about Super Junior arriving today and so I thought that you will want to see then.  And so... woo..Woo I don't know why it turned out like this." I wailed. 

Donghae probably didn't expect this and he stared hard at me with a blank expression.  After a while he frowned," So... This is the surprise that you are talking about?"

" I am so sorry...." I bowed my head in shame and nodded.  I believed my surprise turned out to be a shocking surprise for Donghae.

Donghae huffed and he scratched his head," Where did you get that news?"

"From a website. ..." I replied awkwardly. Seeing that Donghae did not say a single word, I panicked," It's true! I did not lie to you.  It said that Super Junior is arriving today and there are many fans responding and commenting on it."

Donghae nodded and fished out his mobile phone. I saw him typing something rapidly and passed his mobile phone to me," Are you referring to this news?"

Wow! Donghae was great. There were many news in the Internet and how could he find my news so quickly?

I nodded," Yes. "

Er why was Donghae acting like he was going to faint? 

"Take a look at the date of the news." Donghae pointed at the news article. 

"It's said 13 March 12:59."

"No. I mean look at the date of the new articles." Donghae pointed at the bottom right hand corner while he raised his voice at me.

Woo... woo... Donghae was so scary.

I looked at the place where Donghae pointed. I saw the year 2012.... I became silent. 

Donghae spoke helplessly, " This news is a few years old."

"I am sorry...." Oh god please let the ground open up and swallow me.

"Forget it. I know you are doing this to make me happy." Donghae mumbled and he ruffled my hair. "Let's go. We will be late for the afternoon lessons if we don't hurry. I do not want to be punished by standing outside the corridor with you." Donghae walked briskly towards the exit.

Woo...woo... It was not intentional. 

                           *****************************

Donghae was having nightmare. 

I was sleeping at night when I felt the energy emitted from the Nightmare Spirit. I scrambled out from bed and from the moonlight shone into my room, I went barefooted out.

I opened Donghae's bedroom door and saw the alarm on his mobile phone rang out loud. He left the side table lamp on and he was perspiring profusely on the bed. I could heard murmuring from Donghae....

What should I do?

I wanted to help Donghae but given my current ability, I was no match for the powerful Nightmare Spirit. So I switched off the alarm and patted Donghae's face while whispering, " Donghae wake up, wake up...."

"Hmm...." Donghae frowned and his murmuring became quieter.

While I was about to wake Donghae again, I saw a tear gliding out from his tightly shut eyes. The tears flowed pass his cheek and onto his pillow.  

The clear liquid shimmered under the lamp and I held onto my chest because I had the urge to cry as well... 

What should I do?  Why am I feeling this way?

"Appa, I am sorry. I cause Umma's death...." Donghae choked while he was still in sleep. The guilt and self reproach in his voice made me alert.

What did Donghae dream this time?

While I wanted to find out more, the energy from the Nightmare Spirit vanished. Donghae's breathing became stable.

It was rare that Donghae had a peaceful sleep and I decided not to disturb him. I would wait till the Nightmare Spirit reappeared to wake Donghae up again.

I sat on the floor by Donghae's bed. The alarm on the mobile phone rang again and I quickly rushed to switch it off. I was attracted to a calendar on the side table.

There was a lot of scribbling on the calendar which recorded the daily events. Even the blunder of me dragging Donghae to airport to welcome Super Junior was written in it. However, there was a smiley face on the entry.

Donghae was not mad at me. I became cheerful. 

I flipped the calendar slowly and saw a certain date in the following month being circled in red. There was a birthday cake with candle drew on it and scribbled with ' Appa... will you be back this year?'

That day... was Donghae's birthday! His wish was to have his Appa to celebrate his birthday with him?

Suddenly I recalled the gossip in the class.....

"Donghae comes from a wealthy family but I also heard that his Appa is seldom home. Even the meet-the-parenr session is attended by the house's Butler. "

"It was rumoured that due to his Umma's incident,  Donghae's Appa does not like him."

Could being ignored by Appa, one of the origins of Donghae's stress? 

How am I able to help Donghae with this?

Donghae's Appa was overseas and I had no means to contact him.

I couldn't afford another mistake again! I looked at the mobile phone at the side table.  My heart beat fast and I stretched out my hand to take Donghae's mobile phone. I went out of the room with it....

I sat on the couch in the living room. With the moonlight, I looked at the giant posters. With a deep breathe,  I opened Donghae's mobile phone.

On the screen was an old photograph and I believed that the background scene was an amusement park. The family of three was smiling happily. Little Donghae was sitting on his Appa's shoulder and in his tiny hand was a yellow balloon. Donghae was baring his teeth while he smiled. His Appa and Umma were holding hands and smiling at Donghae....

Seeing the blissful photograph, I gained courage. I wanted to see Donghae's smile once more just like the one in the old photograph.

At this hour, it should be daytime in the country that Donghae's Appa was at and I found his Appa's contact numbers. I went into the message app and typed ' Appa, my birthday is coming soon. Will you be back to celebrate it with me?'

No, this sounded too bland. I should let Donghae's Appa knew how Donghae was feeling and I should add a bit more for the content.

'Dear Appa, I missed you. My birthday is coming soon and will you be back to celebrate it with me?'

Okay, it seemed much better and I clicked the send button.

Keke mission accomplished!

After sending the message, I sneaked in to place the mobile phone back at the original place. I saw that Donghae was sleeping peacefully and I felt safe to return to my room to sleep.

It was not long when I was about to drift into dreamland when someone banged open my door and the room light was switched on.

Donghae came to me furiously and grabbed my collars, making me sat up. He yelled, " Why did you send message from my phone!"

What happened? I rubbed my sleepy eyes, trying to adapt to the brightness in my room. I stared at Donghae with my sleepy eyes," What happen Donghae?"

"Did you send a message to my Appa while I was asleep? What did you say to him!"

Donghae's face was red and his eyes were bloodshot. I did not know was it due to the lack of sleep or wad it his anger plus his hands grabbing on my collars were trembling.

"Did your Appa reply? What was his reaction? Did he mention when he will get coming back?" I blinked my eyes wide and looked excitedly at Donghae.

But Donghae's expression did not seem too happy.

"What did your Appa says?" I asked carefully. 

I was relieved that I deleted the record of the sent message so as not let Donghae find out.

"When the call was connected, he asked me if my mobile phone was hacked because how will I send him that kind of message.... What did you send him?" Donghae asked me and he released his grasp on my collars while he collapsed on my bed. 

Hacked mobile phone?

Was my message weird? Wasn't it normal for a parent and child to send those type of message? Yesung hyung alway sent these type of messages to Appa and Umma whenever they are out executing their missions. In addition, Yesung hyung sometime sent out very mushy messages to them. 

But....

"How did you know it was me who send the message?"

"There are only two of us inside this house. Plus the alarm that I set was also switched off. If its not you then who is it? Don't you dare say that I did those while I was sleeping."

"It can be possible. ..." I muttered.

Donghae widened his eyes and looked threateningly at me," What did you just say?"

"No... nothing..... Er how did you respond to your Appa?" I tried to divert the topic.

Donghae looked like a wild beast being provoked and I had to be careful with my words. If I made any mistake,  I would be slammed to death.

But.... My action was not exposed right? 

" What could I say when I don't even know what you sent. I had to lie that it was my friend playing a prank."

"Huh?" All my effort had gone to waste. 

"Tell me honestly, what is your motive in doing this? You had fun in playing such a prank?" Donghae kept massaging his forehead as if he was having a bad headache.

"Er... don't you wish that your Appa will come back to celebrate your birthday with you?" I peeped at Donghae.

I saw Donghae's movement became stiff before he uttered," You... how did you know?"

"You were having nightmare earlier and I went to check on you.  I accidentally saw your calendar with your writing and so I used your mobile phone to send a message to your Appa. I asked if he will come back to celebrate your birthday with you.... I am sorry...."

I dared not tell Donghae the exact content of the message because I strongly believed that I would be chased out of the house if I did that. After apologizing to Donghae, I could not contain my curiosity and asked," Did your Appa reply if he is coming back?"

"You... " Donghae gave me a frustrated look and he suddenly raised his hand...

"Ahhhhh....." Donghae was going to hit me because of a message? He was so mean! Meanie!

Huh? The pain that I was expecting did not come. I lifted my head a bit to take a look. Donghae's hand was still raised and he was trying to control his facial expression.

I was trembling. Was Donghae so angry?

The next second, his hand came gently down and patted my head but he ruffled my head roughly.  At the same time, Donghae's deep voice sounded next to my ear," Tell me what to do with you? Should I scold you or praise you?"

I would be delighted if Donghae did not chase me out of his house.

" Grrrrrr...." Yah! Why did the noise sounded at this moment?  I wanted to scream to the skies.

"Hungry?" I heard a sigh and next moment,  Donghae left my room.

I lie on my bed again. Donghae just left me like this without update. Suddenly, I felt like talking to someone but my communicator was not functioning. I was debating if I should go to the kitchen for a late night snack or to switch off the light, resuming to sleep. 

Donghae came back with a bottle of strawberry milk while he stood by my bed. He spoke awkwardly," The strawberries in the fridge was not restock and so you can have this first."

"Yeah!" I bounced up on my bed. My favourite strawberry was here! I had to admit that all strawberry products were my favourite especially strawberry milk. I could finish two big bottles of strawberry milk at one go.

Eversince,  Donghae discovered the strawberry jam and sweet stuff were decreasing drastically,  he had been wicked to kill me by not replenishing them. Donghae  said that eating too much sweet stuffs could cause decaying teeth and so except for breakfast, I am not allowed to eat any strawberry sweets stuff.  Come to think of it, it had been a long time I had indulged in my favourite.

Why did Donghae becoming so nice to me today?

Just as I was reaching for the strawberry milk, Donghae raised his hand.

"What!" Was Donghae prank in me? I was pouting at him. 

Donghae waved his finger and looked at me with a solemn face," You can have this provided you comply with my condition...."

I knew it! Donghae could never change into a kind person overnight.  I stared at my strawberry milk while swallowing my saliva," What is your condition? " I hoffed.

"Can you promise not to create anymore 'surprises' for me. If you kept doing this, I will die of heart attack." Donghae said helplessly before he shoved the bottle into my hand. "I know that you are doing all this for me and I appreciated it. As for exoneration that Nightmare Spirit whatever thing, we just have to take it slowly okay?"

" Okay okay." I sulked. I knew that I always screwed things up and created troubles for Donghae. I sulked and pulled a long face when I drank my strawberry milk.

"Remember what you just promise me. It's getting late now and you better sleep early. Good night." Donghae ruffled my hair before he walked out.

"Good night Donghae." I spoke softly while looking at his retreating figure.