Adventurous

Want and Resent

A/N: For CEOJung's prompt of Jessica as a 7/11 cashier.


Being a cashier at 7/11 isn’t the most exciting of jobs. Certainly, Jessica’s not doing it for either the scintillating clientele or jaw-dropping salary, which are really the two things she would care about in a job. Then again, she reflects, if it’s sad to work at 7/11, it’s even sadder to be a regular at 7/11.

“Hi,” Regular #922 (she likes to assign random numbers to her regulars) greets her, as per usual.

“Hi,” she returns with her usual amount of enthusiasm, aka zero, reaching to pack up some tater tots.

Regular #922 scratches her hair with a sheepish smile. “Am I that predictable?”

“Your hair isn’t,” Jessica says, eyeing the blonde locks, this time tipped in pink. It seems to change colour at least once every two weeks.

“I’ve been told it’s the most dynamic part of me.”

Jessica stifles a smile. “I like the new colour,” she says. “It looks nice.”

Regular #922 grins, a dimple appearing in her chin. “Thank you.” She tilts her head to the side. “You know, we’ve had so many fascinating conversations and I don’t even know your name.”

“Indeed, our philosophical 3am discussions on the merits of spearmint vs. peppermint are the bright spot of my day,” Jessica says dryly. “You’re not asking for my name so you can complain to my manager, are you?”

She blinks at Jessica. “Why would I complain about you?”

“I don’t know, my lackadaisical attitude doesn’t exactly invite glowing praise.”

“The fact that you’re using vocabulary like lackadaisical at an ungodly hour deserves some praise.”

Jessica doesn’t bother to stifle her laugh. “Thank you. Well, since you asked so nicely – my name is Jessica.”

“Jessica,” Regular #922 repeats. “I’m Taeyeon.” She looks at the hot food. “Do you have any recommendations?”

“You’re not sticking with your usual? The tater tots are going to cry later.”

Taeyeon laughs; the dimple makes a reappearance. “I’m feeling a little…adventurous.”

“Well, I’m partial to the mini tacos myself.”

“I’ll get some of those,” Taeyeon says, handing a crumpled bill over. “And—”

“—a bottle of Diet Coke. I know.”

Taeyeon smiles sheepishly. “I really am very predictable, aren’t I?”

“You know what you want. It’s not a bad thing.”

Taeyeon makes a considering sound at that, eyes sweeping over Jessica for a moment as if doubting the veracity of the statement.

Jessica puts her purchases into a bag and slides it over the counter. “Here’s your receipt,” she says, passing it to Taeyeon even though she usually puts it in the bag. Their fingers graze for a fraction of a second, and Jessica knows the tingle she feels is probably just static electricity, but she tucks away the moment for later. She has a lot of time to kill and she can revisit this pink-tinged interlude in a monotonous routine when the night is winding down.

“Thank you,” Taeyeon says. “I’ll see you around, Jessica.”

“See you,” Jessica says, with an iota of something that almost resembles enthusiasm.

She gets a final glimpse of the dimple and pink-tipped blonde hair and then the door is shutting behind Taeyeon.

Jessica’s feeling adventurous too and that’s why she left her number on the receipt.