A Better Offer

Want and Resent

A/N: This is based on this tweet of Jessica mistaking Taeyeon for her Uber driver.


When the woman opens Taeyeon’s door and slides into her backseat like she belongs there, Taeyeon is so bemused that she can only gape. This seems like neither a case of carjacking nor mistaking someone else’s car for your own.

“Hey,” the woman says, not looking up from her phone. “Is it all right if we make a stop before my destination? I suddenly had a craving for McDonald’s. I’ll add an extra tip.”

“Um, I’m not—”

“I’ll get you a coffee.”

Taeyeon daydreams about pretty girls treating her to coffee, but this is not what she had in mind. “I knew that sticker was a bad idea,” she groans, looking at the Uber sticker that Sooyoung had gotten her as a joke because Taeyeon is their designated driver so often. Why does she trust Choi Sooyoung’s idea of humour?

The woman finally looks up and blinks at her. She’s even more attractive now that Taeyeon is getting a good look at her. Exactly her type, to be honest. “Sorry?”

“I don’t even know where the nearest McDonald’s is.”

Her expression turns into one of incredulity. “And you’re an Uber driver?”

“Well, that’s the thing, I’m—”

“You can use the app, can’t you? Or I can just give you directions.”

“I’d rather have directions to your heart,” Taeyeon blurts out. Right after she says it, she freezes, eyes going wide and horrified.

The woman stares at her, expression inscrutable, and just as Taeyeon is ready to jump out of the car and flee – good thing they’re not moving right now – a smile cracks over her face. “That was terrible,” she says, wrinkling her nose. “I might even prefer ‘do you have a map? Because I keep getting lost in your eyes.’”

“You don’t seem like the type to have a map. Unless we count Apple Maps.”

“That’s true,” she acknowledges. “You’re pretty observant, aren’t you?”

“Unlike you,” Taeyeon has to say. “I don’t really use Uber, but don’t they have a profile of the driver? Even if I somehow have the same car, is there no picture of the driver?”

She gets another slow, cat-like blink, before the woman does, indeed, check her phone, thumb swiping over the screen. Seriously, who gets into the first car they see while waiting for their Uber? What if she had gotten into some hooligan’s car?

“Oh,” she says slowly. “It looks like I’m in the wrong car.” She frowns, suddenly, at Taeyeon, like this is all her fault. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Why didn’t I—?” Taeyeon splutters. “You hardly gave me a chance to, did you? Also, do you just go around getting into random people’s cars without checking the license plate? What if you had gotten into some hooligan’s car?”

“Isn’t that what I did?” she says with an arch of her eyebrow, and then bursts into laughter at Taeyeon’s offended expression. “Sorry, you’re right, I should’ve been more careful. I guess my McDonald’s craving just overwhelmed me.” She juts out her lower lip in a way that’s entirely too adorable. “In fact, it’s raging its head harder. I don’t suppose you’d be willing to give me a ride?  My coffee offer is still on.”

Taeyeon looks at her, wondering if the coffee is still meant as a tip to a driver or what she’s hoping it is.

The woman meets her gaze and smiles, playful. “The way to my heart is through my stomach.”

Taeyeon’s face goes beet red. “I-I apologize for that horrible line.”

“It’s okay,” she says graciously. “It wasn’t bad for someone who got surprised by a stranger sliding into their backseat. You’d probably rather have me slide into your DMs.”

The blush, if possible, goes even hotter. “Well…would you?”

She gives that coquettish smile again. “Let’s get that coffee and see. Unless…?” Her expression goes hesitant, almost shy. “Do you have somewhere to be right now?”

“No, not at all,” Taeyeon says immediately. “Except…”

“Yeah?”

“I still don’t know where the nearest McDonald’s is.”

She’s treated to that bright laughter again. “Don’t worry, I’ll direct you. Literally.”

“Okay, then.” Taeyeon starts the ignition. “Put on your seatbelt,” she says, designated driver instincts kicking in, and she gets an amused smile before her passenger does so. “Do I go left or right?”

“Depends. Do you want to take the scenic route?”

“Scenic? We’re in the middle of downtown. What scenery is there?” The woman lets out a long sigh. “Plus, I thought you were craving McDonald’s really badly.”

“You really do need directions, don’t you?”

“Well, yeah, I just told you I don’t know where it is.”

Another sigh, but it sounds almost…fond. “Hey, Uber would make one thing easier. I already know your car, but I’m lacking another piece of information.”

“My passengers would totally give me five stars,” Taeyeon lies through her teeth. Like her jackass friends would do that despite her constant free chauffeur service for them.

“I’ll bet,” she says dryly. “But that’s not what I was talking about. So, what’s your name?”

Taeyeon hadn’t realized that they’d been talking for so long without even exchanging their names. “Um. Taeyeon.”

“Nice to meet you, Um Taeyeon. Are you related to Uhm Junghwa by any chance?”

It’s a good thing Taeyeon hasn’t started driving, because her hands probably would have fumbled the steering wheel. “You sure like laughing at me,” she mutters sulkily, as another round of laughter rings from the backseat. “Are you related to Ha Jiwon?”

“No, but I’m related to Jung Yumi.”

“Really?”

“No,” she laughs. “We have the same last name though. I’m Jessica.”

Taeyeon scowls. “Well Jessica, if you were really my passenger I definitely wouldn’t give you five stars.”

“Why not?” Jessica says with a hurt expression.

“Look how savage you’ve been towards me!”

Jessica tilts her head to the side. “But I thought you enjoyed it. You seem like the type to like it a little wild.”

Did-did she just—?

Jessica looks out the windshield, her cheeks just the faintest bit pink. “Come on, our coffees are calling our names. Don’t keep Ronald waiting.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Taeyeon says, and finally pulls out of the parking lot. “Oh yeah.” A thought occurs to her. “What happened to your actual Uber?”

“Oh, I cancelled it. I got a better offer.”

And when Taeyeon looks into the rearview mirror, she gets a soft smile that makes her cheeks warm.