Sailing

Want and Resent

A/N: For ranel, who requested angsty TaengSic. Thank you to djboomcat for the prompt "it's snsd's 10 year anniversary and Taeyeon drunk calls Jessica."

Yes, the title is after 0805 (Sailing), the Station song they released for their 9th year anniversary because I'm a sap like that.


August 5, 2017. The numbers stare up at Jessica from her screen almost mockingly, and she keeps seeing them even though she’s put her phone away. Krystal had asked her if she wanted to grab dinner, but Jessica had declined. She doesn’t want to be by herself, but she also doesn’t want to be with anyone else. Anyone but them. It’s supposed to be their day, right?

Ten years. A decade. Jessica has to admit that she never thought they would last this long, but then again, she supposes that she didn’t. This is Girls’ Generation’s tenth year anniversary, but it’s not hers.

When her phone rings, she thinks that it’s Krystal checking in on her, or maybe Minyoung confirming dinner next week, but it’s neither of them. The voice is one that is at once completely unexpected and hauntingly familiar.

“I wish you were here.”

Jessica starts and almost drops her phone. “W-what?”

“I wish you were here.” Taeyeon’s voice isn’t any clearer the second time around. If anything, her words sound more slurred, like they’re scrambling around each other.

Jessica can only think to say, “Are you drunk?”

“Yes,” Taeyeon laughs. “It’s great. I feel great.”

Jessica’s fingers tighten on her phone. How much have you had to drink? she wants to ask. Are the girls with you? Why did they let you drink this much?

“No, that’s a lie.” Taeyeon hiccups. “I don’t feel very good. My head hurts and my stomach hurts but my chest hurts the most. I miss you. I wish you were here.”

She had said it three times already, but Jessica still can’t quite take the words in. She tells herself that Taeyeon is only saying these things because she’s inebriated, but a drunk Taeyeon has always been an honest Taeyeon. More honest than she ever is sober.

“Happy Tenth Anniversary,” Taeyeon says, and Jessica can’t tell if the words are supposed to be congratulatory or accusatory. “Can you believe it’s been ten years? We were so young back then, weren’t we?”

“Yes.” Jessica swallows. “We were.”

There’s a gulping sound that must be Taeyeon drinking some more, and Jessica wishes she could reach through the phone and take the bottle from her. And then she would…

“Are you alone?”

“No,” Taeyeon says slowly, like she doesn’t understand why Jessica is asking that. “We’re celebrating.”

“We,” Jessica repeats, the word searing like a shot.

“It’s our tenth anniversary, remember? Oh wait, I think I said that already…” Taeyeon laughs. “Sorry, I’m drunk.”

And despite everything, that elicits a smile from Jessica. “I know you are.” Would you call me if you weren’t? “If you’re with the girls, why did you drink so much? Did they not childproof the soju?”

Taeyeon laughs again, and Jessica drinks the sound down. “They’re still in the living room. Well, Hyo fell asleep. I think she drank too much.”

Jessica snorts. Somehow, she’s not surprised.

“And she got maknae to drink too much too.”

“Which is what, one beer?”

“One and a half, I think? And Sooyoung lied down on top of Hyoyeon because…she just wanted to, but then now I think she’s actually asleep. And Yuri went around and kissed us all and told us how much she loves us.”

“That sounds like Yul,” Jessica says with a faint smile.

“And Yoona keeps insisting that she’s not drunk but I think she drank the most out of all of us. Oh, except Sunkyu. She and Yoona are playing some game now. And Fany is… I don’t know what she’s doing.”

The most random of memories pops into Jessica’s mind: Tiffany doing a head count at the airport in that Manager Hwang way of hers, counting from one to eight only to pause there and call for her: Jung Jessica! She supposes that Tiffany can simply stop at eight now.

“And you’re…” Taeyeon breaks off. “Where are you?”

“I’m…home.”

“You’re not.” Taeyeon sounds like a confused child. “You’re not here. I’ve been waiting for you to come back all night. Where are you?”

Jessica blinks hard, fighting back the burn in her eyes. “Tae,” she chokes out, unable to get out more than that.

“Are you coming?” Taeyeon asks, with such hope in her voice that Jessica can’t tell her no. She can’t. “We have a cake and everything. With candles. I made a wish. I mean, I know it’s not my birthday but it’s like our birthday.”

Jessica gives a strangled laugh. “What did you wish for?”

Taeyeon starts to answer, but there’s a muffled sound in the background and Jessica hears Tiffany yelling “are you trying to get alcohol poisoning?!” and Sunkyu saying something she can’t make out, and then Taeyeon’s back on the line.

“You…” she starts, but doesn’t finish as the call breaks off and Jessica is left with the ring tone as the end of Taeyeon’s sentence.

It’s not 11:11, but Jessica closes her eyes and makes a wish. And then she decides that Taeyeon had the right idea and getting drunk sounds absolutely fantastic.


A/N: In case you want to cry with me, here is the "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8... who's missing? Jung Jessica! Jung Jessica!" video.

I'm thinking of writing a happy epilogue for this but no promises. ETA: Working on a happy sequel! Snippet can be found here.