More Than Co-workers

Intern - Sunggyu

Entering the hallway, you waited for Sunggyu as he closed the door behind him, walking down the hallway the two of you went over the finalizing details before you two reached the conference room where both of you were to present the final project.

Pushing the glass door open for the two of you, Sunggyu chuckled walking through the door as it was the first one that he let you hold open when he was with you. Turning and seeing the empty chairs line the perimeter of the table, you felt a few butterflies in your stomach while you padded over to the laptop in the corner of the room. Plugging your flash drive into the laptop, you pulled up the program and ran through it once more to see any more changes that needed to take place before the presentation. Lifting your eyes from the laptop while it loaded, Sunggyu walked around the table and placed the packets that held all of the information for the investors as he made sure everything looked perfect.

Once everything was there and set up the two of you took your places at the head of the room. Glancing up at the clock, you took in a deep breath holding it in for a moment or two you slowly closed your eyes trying to focus on the task at hand. A warm something slipped into your hand, opening your eyes slowly, you gazed down at a large hand wrapped around yours. Trailing your eyes from the hand up his strong arm to his face, Sunggyu smiled at you encouragingly, squeezing his hand back, you smiled gently back as the butterflies slowly flew out of your stomach.

A few moments passed as his hand stayed in yours, a roar of commotions erupted from the nearby elevator and shook the panes on the conference room around you. Knowing that they would round the bend soon with their briefcases in tow, you slowly slipped your hand from his as he patted your back and fixed his tie before the army of suited men filed into the room.

Finding their seats, you watched their faces as they turned and settled down before you and Sunggyu as they were ready for your presentation.

“Welcome Ladies and Gentleman” You greeted them all with a respective bow, “I am ____ _____ CEO of Design management and this is my partner Kim Sunggyu he was my intern for this project and compiled the packet you have before you.”

Introducing Sunggyu and his credentials with yours, you began into your introduction of the project and slowly began making your way through each room and highlighting the advanced technology and design for each area of the project. Sunggyu interjected when the time was right adding perfect comments and sending your presentation over the top in a very good way.

An hour or so later, you bowed at the competition of your presentation alongside Sunggyu, the suited men clapped around the table. Standing back upright, you looked around the table to see if any of them had any questions, answering a few slight questions, you saw their nods of approval as your manager stood up from the head of the table.

“Thank you for the presentation and the time and effort you put into this special project Ms. _____ and Mr. Kim.” The manager happily smiled as he excused you and Sunggyu out of the room so they could start splitting up the shares and working on the financial end of the deal between the company and the investors around the table.

The two of you headed out to the padded waiting room right outside of the glass conference room as you plopped down on the couch and let your shaking legs have a little break. Sunggyu eased himself down next to you as he smiled and patted your arm a little.

“You did well, much better than I could have done in your position” Sunggyu reassured, moving his hand from your shoulder to your back as you leaned forward and nodded, your head cradled in the palm of your hand.

“Thank you, you interjected some much needed things as well. I am just surprised how well it went off to be honest with you” You confessed turning your head so you could look at him.

“I was just helping out a friend” His shoulders slightly shrugged along with his words as you just smiled and watched him retract his hand from your back. Joining his hands in his lap, he leaned back and sighed loudly trying to calm his racing heart in his chest.

“Hey _____?” Sunggyu called after a while, turning his head towards you as you turned your head towards him. “I was wondering… maybe I could… you know if you aren’t too busy or anything… maybe take you out for a celebratory dinner or something. You know, since we finished the project and all.”

“Sure, I really owe you for all of the work you did anyways” You nodded in agreement, not thinking too much of it at the moment.

“How about we go out tomorrow for dinner at seven?” Sunggyu pulled out his phone and put the dinner date into his phone as you did the same.

“Sounds great~” You smiled, reclining back into the couch.

“_____?” Sunggyu called your name as you turned your head towards him once more, “So for my internship, I have to show the advisors what I was working on this whole time and present it to the rest of the group and I was wondering…” Sunggyu rubbed the back of his neck with his nervously shaking hands, “Can I present our project, I will give you most of the credit, I just don’t have time to do something different…”

“Oh of course, Sunggyu, you are more than welcome to use it. You did most of the paperwork for the project anyways” You smiled and patted his leg gently, “I would love to come and watch you present it if you don’t mind.”

“Not at all, it would be a pleasure for me to attend” You smile with a nod as the two of you talk for a little while before the glass door opened and suited men poured out of the conference room.

Standing to your feet, you watched them all file down the hall to the elevator as your manager brought up the rear and headed over to you seeing the last suited man round the corner.

“Great job you two; we had so many offers that it went for twice the asking price. We are so very proud of the two of you” The manager beamed proudly “Take the rest of the day off, you deserve it. Mr Kim, make sure you are in the auditorium tomorrow morning for the intern meeting and presentation.”

“I’ll be there, sir” Sunggyu bowed respectfully as the manager bowed back with a beaming smile on his face, bowing to the manager as well you bid him a silent farewell before he headed back to his office.

“I-I guess I will see you tomorrow at the intern meeting then?” You turned to Sunggyu lifting your purse onto your shoulder.

“I guess so” Sunggyu nodded as you smiled at him.

“Good work today, I have really enjoyed working with you” You patted his shoulder

“Me too, thank you for choosing me to be on your team. It has been an honor” Sunggyu bowed to you, bowing back you waved to him before heading off to your office to clean up a little before heading home.