A Friendly Gesture

Intern - Sunggyu

Opening the door for you, he smiled as you passed him, walking with you in stride to your office, he opened the door once more for you as you stepped inside and placed your books and things from the presentation on your office desk.

“Mr. Kim, I will show you to your work desk” You smiled as you approached him, opening the door for you again, the two of you walked just a couple of steps before you presented an empty desk to him. “Here you are”

“Thank you, are we the only ones in this division?” He questioned, his eyes scanning his desk seeing a phone, high end laptop, all the pencils and paper he could ever want along with a large space to work.

“We are, but it is a little more of a high profile position than where the other interns ended up.” You explained pulling out your chair and sitting down at your work desk.

“How so?” Sunggyu took a seat at his desk and turned towards you.

“They are just going to be filing papers and maybe working on a project however, you and I are going to be project partners and work together so we can present it to the board” You explained as you turned towards your desk and let your fingers move a few papers aside before you found the project description and handed it to Sunggyu.

“We will be designing a building for the new Children’s Hospital, if this design passes they will present it to the public, but if not then we have to go back to the drawing board if they come to us again” You laid down the stakes as Sunggyu’s narrow eyes drifting down the paper you handed him.

“Sounds interesting, so more secret work than anything” He smiles handing the paper back to you as you nod.

“Well if you are comfortable with everything, we can get right to work” You offered as you turned towards your work desk and booted up your laptop.

“Why do you have two desks?” Sunggyu chuckled as he started up his laptop too.

“My office is more for meetings and presenting and this is my work desk. I just feel too secluded in there so I like to work out here” You explain as you placed your phone on your desk before you continued working on your designs for the rooms.

Hours ticked by as Sunggyu worked on the specs and the landscaping around the building. Your phone buzzed next to you as you glanced down at your phone seeing that it was time for your lunch break.

“Did you want to rejoin with the other interns for lunch? I heard they put out quite a spread of food for all of you today” You glanced over at Sunggyu as he nodded his head.

“I guess we could take a break” He smiles and stands up, fixing his suit jacket as you grabbed your phone and headed downstairs to the cafeteria. 

Making your way down the flights of stairs, you watched as the mid day sunlight hit the lobby statue while you thought that you don’t get out of your office enough. Watching Sunggyu head into the crowded cafeteria, you slipped through the doors and headed to the far corner as you pulled out a chair and watched everyone go through the line while you twirled your hair around your fingers.

The loud cafeteria suddenly quieted down, your eyes lifted to see the crowd parting and girls’ heads turning while others covered their mouths to whisper to one another. Hoya smiled at you as he carefully made his way through the crowd and stood next to the table that you were sitting at.

“Hey” Hoya breathy greeted you, keeping his voice low as he gently placed a kiwi green lunchbox on the table in front of you.

“What are you doing here?” You whispered leaning over the table a little towards him.

“I promised to bring you lunch didn’t I?” He chuckled as he ped the lunchbox and pulled out the containers setting them in front of you.

“Thank you” You smiled and looked at all of the girls around the cafeteria almost in a love gaze in his direction. Looking back at your twin brother, you smiled seeing him all dressed up in a form fitting suit.

“You look nice today” You remark as you take a bite of food as he took one too.

“Thank you, you don’t look bad yourself” He winked at you as both of your heads turned to someone approaching the table.

“I didn’t think I would see you here, Hoya” Sunggyu smiled brightly, Hoya’s smile matched Sunggyu’s as you looked between the two of them in confusion.

“It is nice to see you too, Sunggyu. I’m glad you didn’t get lost on your way to work” Hoya teased his laughter spilling from his open lips as Sunggyu’s eyes shifted to you.

“Ah ______, I am sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt you when you are with your…. your…” Sunggyu stammered trying to find the right word, not wanting to rub you wrong if he used the wrong word.

“Brother” You finished his sentence as you watched a wave of relief flood over him.

“Sunggyu, this is my sister, I heard she is your new boss” Hoya smiled as Sunggyu nodded slowly allowing you to notice his red cheeks burning brightly.

“S-She is” Sunggyu choked out “I just thought you two were dating…”

“D-Dating?” Hoya laughed even louder, his hand raising up to cover his mouth from becoming too loud and ill-mannered.

“You did bring her lunch and all…” Sunggyu pointed out as you looked down at the food between you two.

“I guess it does look odd, but don’t get any ideas. She isn’t free for just any guy to take” Hoya reminded him, wagging his spoon at Sunggyu.

“Why don’t you sit with us? Unless you have other friends to sit with” You offered as Hoya pulled out a chair next to him.

“Thank you” Sunggyu bowed and eased his food tray onto the table as you scooped up another spoonful of food and slid it between your lips.

After lunch, you and Sunggyu headed back up the stairs to work on the project, moving your mouse over your mouse pad, you clicked and adjusted a few more things on the 3-D design of the hospital office that you were working on.

“Mr. Kim?” You cooed, turning your chair slightly towards him as he jotted something down on his sticky note quickly.

“Please call me Sunggyu” He turned towards you with a smile curling his thin lips upwards.

“Sunggyu, I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind looking over this, I want to see what you think of it for a second opinion” You slid your chair back a little and turned your screen slightly so he could see.

Rolling his chair closer to yours, he took control of the mouse as he explored the room. Trying to read his expressions, he sat back in his chair once he finished as he rubbed his chin lightly with his fingers.

“It isn’t bad, I was just thinking, what if the board was over there, that way the people could see it better and it wouldn’t get the glare from the windows?” Sunggyu suggested as he turned the room and table to show you what he was talking about.

“Oh? I like it~ It works for the space too!” You smiled and nodded, adjusting a few things slightly to saved it and pulled up another room for him to look at.

“What about one of the waiting rooms for parents…” You watched his reaction once again as he nodded, again adjusting a few things the two of you agreed on the changes.

“What are you working on?” You questioned as he rolled back over to his side of the desk.

“W-Well I was just working on some landscape designs, I thought there could be a water feature in the back and a lot of wheelchair accessible paths so the kids could enjoy the outdoors too.” He explained as he showed you his digital model as well.

Making a few minor adjustments to his as well, the two of you attached all of your finished products and sent them in an email to the head of design to see what he thought of it. Gathering your things, you glanced at the clock seeing that it was far too late for you to still be at the office.

“Sunggyu?” You called, his head perked up as he pulled his jacket over his white shirt. “Do you have a ride or would you like a ride to your place?”

Checking his phone for the bus schedule he sighed seeing that it was already past the last bus that stopped near his hotel.

“A ride would be wonderful, if you don’t mind that is” Sunggyu rubbed the back of his neck slightly nervous as you shook your head lightly.

“I don’t mind, besides my brother would probably kill me if I didn’t take his good friend home” You folded your jacket over your arm and grabbed your purse as the two of you headed to the parking garage.