Not the whole truth

Fulfilling a dream

Chapter 7

After Soon-young had watched about 20 videos of Ji-yeon dancing, Park Eun-hye let her daughter and her friend's son know that dinner was ready. Mrs. Park looked happy when her daughter entered the dining room with a smile on her face.

''What did you guys do?'' Mr. Hong asked the two in front of him after everybody sat down.

Soon-young looked at Ji-yeon, as if to ask for her permission to tell their parents what they did today. Ji-yeon answered by giving him a smile. ''We danced, looked at Ji-yeon's choreographies and talked for a while.'' he told Ji-yeon's father.

''You... danced? Together?'' Ji-yeon's mother asked as if she hadn't heard it clearly.

This time Ji-yeon was the one who answered. ''Yes, and mom, Soon-young is really good at dancing!''

''He sure is,'' his mother said proudly. "That's why-'' she stopped talking when she saw that Soon-young shook his head. ''That's why...'' he  continued instead, ''I created a dance club when I was in middle school.''

''Oh, that's cool.'' Ji-yeon said. Soon-young's mother just looked quizzically at her son.

They ate and talked about other things until they finished the main dish.

''Do you still dance often?'' Ji-yeon's father asked Soon-young while he walked from the kitchen to the dining room with the dessert in his hands.

''Yes. My friends like dancing too, so we dance together very often. I usually create the choreography.'' Soon-young answered.

''Interesting. You two should make a choreography together someday.'' Mr. Hong said, referring to Ji-yeon and Soon-young. That made the two of them show a small smile. Ji-yeon liked the idea a lot.

''Isn't it hard to combine dancing and university? Your parents kept saying that you were busy...'' Park Eun-hye had assumed the reason that Soon-young was busy was because he was a university student.

Soon-young's smile slowly faded away. ''I... can manage.'' he said slowly. ''I think it's important to do what I like to do.'' Soon-young looked at Ji-yeon while he continued talking. ''And... if I want to achieve something, if there is a dream that I truly want to fulfill... I want to go for it. There might be some hard moments along the way, but if I remember why I am working so hard for it, that dream won't change and I will be able to fulfill it.''

Ji-yeon let Soon-young's words sink in. Didn't he say earlier that he already fulfilled his dream? Then why does it sound like that's not the case?

''Ah... so dancing is really your passion?'' Eun-hye asked. She really liked this boy. He knew what he wanted and did everything he could to achieve it. He seemed to be exactly the kind of friend Ji-yeon needed.

Soon-young smiled, but didn't answer.

☆☆☆☆☆

After dinner it was time to say goodbye. Ji-yeon was quite sad, because she had finally opened up to someone and it was the first time in ten years that she felt so close to one of her friends. They exchanged numbers, but Ji-yeon knew that it would be hard to actually meet again soon. Soon-young was busy 'at university' and Ji-yeon was busy too, because she was in her final year of high school. And they lived quite far away from each other.

It was silent in the corridor until Mrs. Park spoke. ''Next time, you should bring your daughter too. It's been such a long time since we've seen her. She wasn't able to come during that holiday ten years ago either.''

''We're such a busy family, aren't we?'' Soon-young's mother laughed. ''If you visit us next time, I'm sure she'll be there too.''

''Fair enough.'' Ji-yeon's father smiled. ''Then, let's meet again soon. Right, Ji-yeon?''

''Eh?'' Ji-yeon was caught off guard by her father's question. ''Ah, yes.''

''We should really go now.'' Mr. Kwon told the others.

Soon-young turned to Ji-yeon. "Bye.'' he said with some sadness in his voice. ''Let's meet again soon. And you have my number, don't hesitate to send me a message!''

''Yeah.''

Soon-young waited for a longer reply, but it took a while.

''Thank you. For everything.'' she mumbled.

''Thank you for showing me what an amazing dancer you are.'' he replied.

☆☆☆☆☆

Once Soon-young and his parents were outside, his mother started asking him many questions. ''Why did you lie to Ji-yeon's parents? Is everything going well between you and Ji-yeon? Why did you say you are a university student? Your father and I didn't tell them about Seventeen, because we thought you would want to tell them yourself.''

''Mom, I didn't lie.'' Soon-young answered as he sat down in the car. ''Ji-yeon's mother assumed I was a university student.''

''But you didn't tell her the truth. Why?'' his mother retorted.

''I'm not sure... I... I don't know how Ji-yeon will react.'' Soon-young leaned his head against the window and looked outside. He thought about the reason Ji-yeon didn't look at the choreography of idols: 'Because I'm afraid I'll compare myself with them.' I want her to see me as a friend she can trust, not as someone she has to compare herself with.

I want to help you, Ji-yeon. If I can.

 

 


It took a while... thanks for waiting ^^
Anyway, 1004, cheonsa today :)
Ah, small reminder: this story takes place in July ~ August.
baby_inspirit2336452, baekhyunismybacon, Pokey123, teethsbroken, isabelle198, pinkbunny77, Teremi_dyokookie, fluffernutter, RedGalaxy and baekkieboo, thank you soooooo much for subscribing!! I'm so happy with every single subscriber, upvote and comment!