Choreographies

Fulfilling a dream

Chapter 6


"Hey Soon-young, how did it go with Ji-yeon?" Mrs. Park asked curiously when the boy walked into the living room.

"Good." Soon-young smiled. "We're having fun."

Ji-yeon's parents looked pleasantly surprised. "Yes? Is she okay now?" Her mother asked.

"Yes. Don't worry." Soon-young assured Ji-yeon's parents. "But..." he addressed Ji-yeon's mother, "Imo*, have you seen my bag?"

Eun-hye nodded. "Yes, I put it in the corridor."

"Thank you!" Soon-young bowed and left the room as quickly as he had entered. He walked to his bag and grabbed his notebook.

When he opened the door to the dance room, he saw that Ji-yeon was staring at her laptop. "What are you doing?" He walked closer so that he could see what she was looking at.

The laptop showed a picture of two children smiling while looking at someone who was dancing outside. "We were so small back then." Ji-yeon said while she was thinking about the fun times they had spent together when they were young.

"I know, right?" Soon-young replied. "Hey, but I was wondering... how did you practice all these years? If you've never danced in front of someone before, I doubt you took lessons... did you just practice by yourself?"

Ji-yeon nodded. She thought it wasn't that bad to practice by herself. Especially with her own dance room.

"Then..." Soon-young continued, "do you look at idols' dances and copy that? A lot of people do that."

Ji-yeon shook her head. "No, I don't look at the choreography of other dancers or idols."

"Why not?" Soon-young asked gingerly. So she won't have seen Seventeen's choreography. Wait, does she even know any kpop groups?

"Because I'm afraid I'll compare myself with them."

"Ah..." Soon-young nodded understandingly. "So... does that mean that you don't know any idols? What about SHINee? Big Bang? SNSD?"

"I know them, of course." Ji-yeon nudged Soon-young. "I do listen to the radio and it's inevitable to hear people talk about idols at school. I also watch some variety programs with idols and... hey, but what are you holding in your hands?"

"Oh, this?" Soon-young showed her the notebook. "I use this when I come up with choreographies."

"Choreographies for yourself?"

"No, for me and... my friends." Well, that wasn't a lie.

Ji-yeon watched as Soon-young wrote and drew something in his notebook. "What is it?" She couldn't really decipher the words and drawings.

"It's something I can use to remember the last move that you did." He said as he gave his notebook another look, stood up and showed Ji-yeon her move. "Like this, right?"

Ji-yeon nodded. It was interesting to see what her move looked like when someone else used it. Especially when Soon-young was that 'someone'. It looked kind of cool.

"Ji-yeon, can I see more of your choreographies?"

Ji-yeon thought about it for a while. Well, I think Soon-young wouldn't laugh at me if it's bad... and he has already seen me dancing... "Okay, follow me."

She walked out of the dance room and Soon-young followed her. They walked into a room with a TV and while Soon-young sat down on a big, comfortable couch, Ji-yeon left the room for a while to come back with two drinks and her camera. She put the drinks on the table in front of the couch and connected her camera to the television. Soon after, the TV screen showed an image of Ji-yeon in the dance room.

"Here," Ji-yeon handed the remote control to her friend, "take your time."

"Thanks." Soon-young replied.

While Soon-young looked at Ji-yeon's choreographies, Ji-yeon grabbed Soon-young's notebook and studied it carefully.

What are these? Positions? She looked at some of the drawings. Should I ask him? she thought before she saw that the boy beside her was glued to the screen and looked like he was in his own world.

She chuckled. He looked really cute like this and he didn't even realise that she was staring at him. Does that mean he likes my choreographies? Really? Maybe if it's with him, I wouldn't mind dancing in front of someone else. 

 

* Imo (이모) means aunt from your mother's side, but can also be used in some other cases. Here, Soon-young says 'imo' because Eun-hye is his mother's friend.

 


Hourglass-, Keeks1013 and elfiraa, thank you for subscribing!!