Firebug

DARK MINDS

It was some weeks ago since Jonghyun officially had joined the MID team; he got along with everyone very well, and after Chanyeol had explained to him that Yunho was always reserved to everyone, Jonghyun felt better because he had the feeling that his new boss still didn't accept him as a member of their group. Besides that, he felt good. The members were treating him nicely and Baekhyun was already joking with him. Jonghyun had never met someone like Baekhyun; he was lively, his style was funky, colorful and freaky. The first time Jonghyun had entered Baekhyun's office, his eyes became round, he had expected all the screens on the wall and in front of his work place, but he hadn't thought of seeing several pictures and posters of comic heroes on his wall. The desk was covered with little figures, action figures, and toys, and in the corner of the room was a huge monkey stuffed toy which was almost as big and tall as Baekhyun himself.

This morning, Jonghyun and Baekhyun were standing in front of Kyuyhun's desk who was sitting in his chair preparing several magic tricks for them. Jonghyun got to know Kyuhyun as kind of a weird genius, he knew everything and a lot of unnecessary knowledge which he always showed off and explained to everyone although nobody had asked for it. In addition, the new agent had noticed that Kyuhyun sometimes had troubles with human-social interactions; for example, he never noticed when a girl was flirting with him. He was a good looking man and Jonghyun was amazed about the fact that he didn't have a girlfriend and never had one before either. When Kyuhyun showed a magic trick to them, they got surprised and ended up laughing aloud.

„Are you charming people again? " Donghae asked with a smile when he was entering the open office, "What trick is it? Do I know it already?" Kyuhyun shook his head and told his friend to also watch the trick.

„So you turn around again" Kyuhyun ordered.

„What?" Donghae got confused.

„He won't show us how this trick is working" Baekhyun said with little pout on his lips and the three turned around again. While they were waiting, they exchanged looks whenever they heard some little noises of Kyuhyun doing something.

„Okay it's prepared" Kyuhyun told his colleagues and the others turned back around to face him. There was a little black cylinder which was normally used for the negatives for photos. The cylinder stood on its cover and everyone was staring at it while Kyuhyun couldn't hold back his smile. Suddenly, there appeared some white, foamy liquid and from one second to another, the cylinder was rocketed upwards and rapidly flew through the room. Everyone was laughing but when the cylinder hit Yunho's head, which was just entering the office, the agents instantly became quiet. Yunho rolled his eyes and shook his head before he gave everyone a pissed glance.

„What did I say about magic tricks at the office?" Yunho was strict and Kyuhyun apologized to his chief, „Everyone, we have a new case; Baekhyun, you prepare the presentation please." Everyone nodded to their boss and prepared themselves for the upcoming meeting. „And no more magic tricks!"

As soon as everyone took place at the table in the meeting room, Baekhyun started the presentation about the new case. He explained about what happened yet. „In Gwangju which is, as you know, located in Jeollanam-do province, had two arson attacks in the last two days. Always private houses got burned down to the foundation walls, every time the families got locked inside so they were trapped in their houses and got burned alive."

„The incendiary always was gasoline?" Siwon asked and Baekhyun acknowledged his assumption.

„How many victims?" Chanyeol wanted to know and the analyst put the pictures of the victims on the screen for everyone.

„At the first house, it belonged to family Baek, the father, mother, their oldest daughter Hyoseong and their infant got killed. All were locked in the living room. Their oldest son Seonhyung is studying at Chonnam National University and lives on the campus, so he wasn't at the family's house. At the second attack, the family Lee got killed, this time the mother, the two youngest boys and the first-born daughter got killed."

„What about the father?" Jonghyun mentioned while checking the case papers.

„The father died two years ago already, he had cancer."

„Since the 1950s, studies of arsonists have generally focused on arrested, institutionalized and paroled individuals. Six separate behavioral categories seem consistently to emerge. The works of the Columbia University psychiatrists and numerous social and behavioral researchers have found that the offenders commit arson for purposes of revenge, vandalism, or crime concealment. Some seek to collect insurance and others set fires in search of excitement, or are impelled by an irresistible impulse, we call those pyromaniacs" Kyuhyun explained, "I think here, it's about a revenge arson or crime concealment."

„Alright, we will leave right away, everyone get your things ready" Yunho said while packing his case's folder and stood up, "Baekhyun, you find out if there is any connection between the victims." With a nod of everyone like usual their work started and the incident with the magic trick was forgotten.

 

In Gwangju everyone got their own task to do, Donghae and Yunho would go to the leading police department, preparing the room they got there for their investigation, Kyuhyun and Chanyeol had to take a look at the two crime scenes while Siwon and Jonghyun were on their way to Baek Seonhyung. The young student was shocked when he got the news about his family and the two agents wanted to try to get some information about the family. They were in the student's room on campus; Jonghyun was sitting in front of the boy who often took deep breaths while talking. He was down and sad and the agents tried their best to comfort him.

„So your family didn't have any enemies, envier or something like this?" Jonghyun asked but the student in front of him just shook his head. He told him that they were just an average family, his father was teacher in a small school for Korean history and his mother worked in the supermarket around the corner of their house. They supported him as much as possible, but to finance his studies at college, he was also working part-time in a bar at the weekends.

„Your sister was really pretty" Siwon mentioned while checking the photos Seonhyung had on his wall. Some showed him with some friends, others showed him with his mom, his siblings and one with both of his parents. „I could imagine that she easily caught the attention of people. Do you know if she had a boyfriend?"

„A boyfriend? Do you mean her boyfriend did this to her and my family?"

„It was just a question, we need to suspect everyone at first" Siwon explained, "So did she have a boyfriend or not?"

Seonhyung thought about the last conversation he had with his sister. „Well she and her boyfriend had a breakup three weeks ago, he got a college place abroad somewhere in Europe and they didn't want to go in a long-distance relationship so they broke up."

„And he was fine with the end of the relationship? No discussion or fight?" Jonghyun asked, "We need his name and address."

„As I know it was the decision of both of them. His name is Yeon Kyeongsook and, as I know, he works as articled clerk but I don't know where he lives."

„Do you know the lawyer he is working for?" Siwon queried him, but the student shook his head and apologized, "It's alright, you helped us a lot. Thank you." Then the agents bid farewell to the young man and Jonghyun once again expressed his condolence to him, before they left the room. In front of the students' residential accommodation, Siwon called Baekhyun, „Baekhyun we need all the information about Yeon Kyeongsook, he works as articled clerk here in Gwangju. He was the boyfriend of Baek Hyoseong."

„Alright Sir" Baekhyun's fingers rushed over the keyboard, "I've found him, he works for Ga Myeongyong, I had send you the address on your phone, Sir."

„Thanks Baekhyun" Siwon said and ended the call with the analyst before he called Yunho, "We have a possible suspect. The boyfriend of Baek Hyoseong, he works near the Asian Culture Complex Information Center."

„Chanyeol and Kyuhyun are closer to it, I will send them to bring him here and then we will meet all at the police department" Yunho ordered and Siwon and Jonghyun returned to the police department while Yunho gave the information to Chanyeol and Kyuhyun. They had just finished observing the second crime scene and took the car to get to the location of Ga Myeongyong's chambers. They entered the offices and the receptionist greeted them, they identified themselves as NACS members and asked for the man they were looking for.

„Did Kyeongsook do anything illegal?"

„Madam, we need to know where he is. Is he here right now?", Chanyeol asked.

„He's at the court with Mr. Ga Myeongyong, but they called earlier that they are on their way back already" the woman explained and some minutes later two men were entering the office and the receptionist greeted them with a bow.

„What is wrong here?"

„Yeon Kyeongsook?" Chanyeol said and one of the men nodded with a surprised look on his face, “I am SA Park Chanyeol, this is Dr. Cho Kyuhyun, we are from NACS special unit MID. You need to come along with us, we have some questions."

„NACS? MID? What happened?" the lawyer asked, "You can't just take him with you."

„Excuse me Mr. Ga but we can" Kyuhyun spoke up, "There is some urgent suspicion of crime against your employee Yeon, we need to check about it so we are allowed to take him with us and, in case of necessity, we can arrest him for 78 hours."

„Hey you little kid, do you want to explain my job to me?"

„Sir, he didn't want to insult you" Chanyeol pushed himself between Kyuhyun and the angry lawyer, "But for now we need to question Kyeongsook." The lawyer knew that the agents were right, he couldn't hold them back and when they had some suspicion against his employee, he also wanted to know if it was true. The tall, well-trained agent grabbed Kyeongsook's arm and started walking with the also tall but thin and a bit nerdy looking agent following them while everyone in the office were looking confused and surprised after them.

 

The suspect was sitting in a small, windowless room since they just wanted to question him; he was unfixed and could freely move around, but he wasn't allowed to leave the room. For the man, it was impossible to see the agents and the leading police detective who were watching him from the outside.

„Donghae and Siwon, you two question him" Yunho said but held them back from entering the room, "Donghae you go in alone first, maybe he is more talkative to only one. If he needs some presser Siwon will join."

„Alright" Donghae took the folder which Yunho handed him and entered the room. He told the man to sit down while he was sitting down himself. „Hello I am SA Lee Donghae, you are Yeon Kyeongsook? Don't worry when you didn't do anything wrong nothing will happen to you, we just need some information." The man gulped nervously and nodded. „Where were you last night and the night before?"

„At home, I was preparing material for the disciplinary hearing I had today with my boss at the court. But why are you asking me this?"

„When was the last time you saw Baek Hyoseong?"

„Hyoseong? We didn't see each other anymore since we broke up."

„That was three weeks ago?" Donghae asked and the boy nodded, "So you didn't see her the day before yesterday, didn't have any contact with her since the breakup? Absolutely nothing?"

„No... why? Did something happen to her?"

„She died." Donghae paused and observed the young man who was shocked and unable to talk. The agent could see how he always tried to say something but then he lost his words again.

„How? How did she died?"

„She and her family got burned alive in their house." The young man couldn't believe what he just heard and suddenly he couldn't hold back his tears anymore. Donghae stood up; he wanted to give the man some time to get over the shock so he left the room and closed the door quietly. „I think he doesn't have anything to do with it. And why should he burn down another house? It doesn't make sense."

„You're right. Baekhyun still didn't find any connection between them either" Jonghyun said and the others shook their heads.

„SA Kim?" Yunho caught Jonghyun's attention.

„Yes Sir?"

„Call Baekhyun, we need all the information about Yeon Kyeongsook, besides that, he should prove if he was really at home. In addition, he should check if maybe the daughter have any connections, not only the family themselves." Jonghyun nodded and went back to the room they were using as an office.

„Chief Jung?" the department director entered the room, "The fire department informed us that another house got attacked, a neighbor called them and they're there to extinguish the fire.

„Kyuhyun, Chanyeol, you two come with me to the new crime scene and the rest stay here; maybe you can get more information from Mr. Yeon" Yunho issued the order before he and his agents followed the police men to the new crime scene.

 

It took them about one hour until the three of them got back to the police department; they had sent all the information to the team already. Although the arson attacked in the early evening hours and the fire was extinguished, the family he locked up this time also got killed, but this time, the youngest daughter was able to escape through the dog flap in their back door. When they arrived there, the emergency physician was about to take her to the hospital, Chanyeol went with them to question her and she seemed to trust him. Back at the police department they all met in their provisional office. Yunho told them about the crime scene. Once again, the victims were trapped in their living room but the arson didn't notice the back door, or he didn't think that someone could escape through the dog flap.

„The little girl was watching TV with her older sister who was visiting her family. The mother was in the kitchen preparing the dinner as; suddenly, someone came in. He was threatening them with a gun and made them all sit down in the living room, then he locked all the doors and poured gasoline everywhere. And before he left, he poured gasoline over the victims themselves" Chanyeol told his team members, "Unfortunately, she couldn't see the man clearly. He was about 180cm, was wearing black clothes with a hood which he had pulled down over his face; besides that, he was wearing a face mask."

„Baekhyun found out something. As soon as we got the information about the new victims, he added them to his search and found out that all the families' daughters attended the same high school. They were classmates, this is the connection we were looking for" Jonghyun informed everyone.

„Alright, that's great, thanks SA Kim" Yunho said, "We will reveal our profile now."

All police men gathered in the open office to listen to the agents. They were holding small notepads in their hand, taking notes about every important fact which was useful to find and stop the arsonist.

„We are looking for a young man; he graduated at Gwangju high school in 1999. We know that because all the oldest daughters of the families were in the same class at this high school, so it's possible that he also was one of their classmates" Siwon started the introduction.

„His approach is always the same at first, he assaults them in their houses when everyone is at home which means he must ne observing them for awhile before, then he threatens them with a gun, locks them all in one room and sets everything and everyone on fire" Jonghyun continued.

„But when he has a gun, why doesn't he just shoot them? Why all this effort about threatening them first to set everything on fire?" a police man asked.

„He's sick. For him, fire is something like a drug and he enjoys seeing them getting burned alive by something he loves. Out of this behavior, of something dangerous" Chanyeol answered to the man's question.

„We are talking about a revenge-motivated arsonist that means a revenge motivated fire is set in retaliation for some injustice real or imagined perceived by the offender. The types of revenge motivated arson included in this category are personal retaliation, social retaliation, and institutional retaliation like against the government, group retaliation, intimidation and other. The victim of a revenge fire generally has a history of interpersonal or professional conflict with the offender. A revenge arsonist typically resides in some type of rental property. Even though most of the time the offender tends to not be a loner and has close relationships the relationships generally are not stable or long term. An exception is the revenge motivated serial arsonist who is often a loner, like the one we are talking about" Kyuhyun explained.

„The revenge arsonist most often will have some type of prior law enforcement contact for crimes such as burglary, theft or vandalism. The use of alcohol with this offense is common. The offender also may use drugs during the crime but alcohol use is more prevalent" Donghae added.

„So we are looking for one of the former Gwangju high school students, he is male, he is in his early thirties and, in all probability, he is a blue collar worker in the lower socioeconomic status, he lives alone, he has no vehicle because the revenge-motivated serial arsonist frequently walks to the scene, so ask the neighborhood of the crime scenes if they saw anyone suspicious, someone strange, who was observing the houses. That's it for now, thanks for listening" Yunho ended the instruction and all the police men returned to their work and Yunho took his team with him. He quickly entered the questioning room where Yeon Kyeongsook was sitting in the corner on the ground, hugging his knees.

„Kyeongsook?" Donghae caught the man's attention and pointed on Yunho, "This is Jung Yunho, he's the chief of our team and we need to ask you some more questions. I know it's hard, but we know you didn't kill her so now you can help us catch the one who did all of this." The man took a deep breath and sat down in the chair.

„Do you know anyone of these boys?" Yunho asked him and showed him the yearbook pictures of Hyoseong's graduation class. The man shook his head. „You know him, we are sure about it, maybe someone Hyoseong was afraid off, someone she didn't like or had quarrel at school with?"

„I don't know... we rarely talked about her school time, she didn't like talking about it. All she talked about were her friends."

„Friends? Do you mean Lee Sooae and No Yoori?" Donghae asked.

„Yes, how do you know?"

„They got killed too."

„Were they still meeting each other?" Yunho questioned him with more pressure in his voice.

„Yes they met once per week, then they usually went clubbing, to karaoke, shopping and other girls' stuff."

„Did they have any grudger at school? Please check the pictures, it must be one of them." Once again Kyeongsook looked at the photos, he checked out one after another as suddenly his finger stopped on a picture.

„This guy... he followed us one evening before we had our breakup. We were on a date; we wanted to have one more nice evening together because we already knew that it would end. After a while, she mentioned that someone was following us so we observed it for a while and a man was following us wherever we were going. We tried to get rid of him and quickly hid behind a corner. Hyoseong was scared and wanted to leave but I wanted to know who it was so we hid and when he came around the corner I came out of the dark, grabbed his wrist and he tried to run away. He was moving so much that his hood fell down his head and revealed his face, then he kicked me and I let him go, so he ran away."

„And you are sure it was him?" Yunho wanted to be sure.

„Yes, definitely because Hyoseong mentioned that she knew him from school."

Yunho and Donghae thanked him again while Yunho left the room already Donghae wished the man all his best and mentioned that he could get in contact with his ex-girlfriend's brother to get together over what happened.

Back at their room, Yunho called Baekhyun via the hands-free speakerphone, so that everyone of the team was able to listen. „Baekhyun we need everything about Kang Yongwon, he was one of the classmates."

„Kang Yongwon..." Baekhyun repeated to himself and he started his search about him, "So he graduated at Gwangju high school in 1999 in the same class as the victims. He didn't attend any college but he is working for a janitor in an apartment complex almost since he left school." Then it was quiet and Baekhyun didn't say a single word anymore.

„Baby? Are you still there? Talk with us. What did you find?" Chanyeol said.

„Oh yes, sorry. I found something in a local newspaper from 1993, there was a sudden fire in a house. In that fire died a woman, who was locked in a room, she was the mother of Kang Yongwon who was six at this time. He and his father survived but the fire destroyed the whole house. That article says that the father told the police his son locked the mother and set the house on fire to protect them. The mother abominated him, said he was ugly and no woman ever could love him. Oh my that poor boy."

„So he killed his own mother because she detested him" Jonghyun talked and the others agreed.

„I found a picture of the mother and holy moly" Baekhyun came up with additional information, „She looked a lot like those girls. It's like she was an older sister to all of them. But I found some school inputs and also one police entry for Kang Yongwon. The school inputs are about bodily harm against some of his female classmates amongst others he also harmed the three victims by... oh wow... he tried to inflame them, the police entry is about this too."

„They reminded him of his mother, they must have rejected him too, maybe bullied him so he already wanted to take revenge in school" Siwon came to a conclusion.

„But what was the flashpoint for him that he started to kill them now?" Donghae asked.

„Oh, his father died in a car accident some weeks ago. He was overrun by a car, the driver ignored the red traffic light..." Baekhyun reported.

„Who was the driver?" Yunho wanted to know.

„The driver was No Yoori, but the two other victims were in the car too."

„That was his flashpoint. In school they had bullied and rejected him and then they were the reason for his father's dead who was his only hold in his life. He killed his own mother with fire, so it was a problem to kill them with fire too" Jonghyun summarized.

„Baby we need his address" Chanyeol talked to the analyst.

„Gwangju-daero 224beon-gil, house 54, apartment 3b, it's still rented by his father" Baekhyun quickly told them and the agents put on their body armor vest where NACS was written in white letters on their chest and back. Their guns were fixed on their belts at the side together with their golden badges. They were ready, ready to catch the arsonist.

As soon as they had reached the address, they jumped out of the cars, followed by several police officers. They ran upstairs while some officers stayed downstairs, blocking the entrance door, which means the offender wasn't able to leave. The NACS agents stopped in front of the door of the apartment 3b, they gave each other a nod and they were ready to storm the flat. Chanyeol kicked open the door and one agent after another entered the flat; they were checking one room after another with their guns in their hands. Every time they checked a room and it was safe one of them shouted 'safe', so everyone could concentrate on the new room.

„I've got him" Kyuhyun shouted and put his gun back into his holster, "As we said, he is not only addicted to fire, but also to alcohol. He is drunken and totally off."

Siwon, who was next to Kyuhyun, went to handcuff the man who suddenly woke up, but he was so drunken, he didn't recognize what was going on. „Kang Yongwon, you are under arrest for killing the Baek family, the Lee family and the No family."

They hauled him off and brought him to the police department. There, Yeon Kyeongsook and Baek Hyoseong's brother Seonhyung were still waiting; from afar, they were watching how the agents brought the arsonist into the office. When they passed the men, their antipathy, their sadness, their jolt and their nescience about how to go on with their lives was sensible for everyone. Now after the special agents had brought justice to them, it was their task to rearrange their lives and; although it was awful what had happened to them and the little girl who survived the last attack, Donghae and everyone else wished all the best for them.

 

It was raining in Seoul when they returned. On the flight, everyone was quiet and in thoughts, some thought about what happened, some thought about what they were going through every time that they could never let anything about their cases get near them; otherwise, it would destroy them from the inside, slowly and secretly.

Yunho thought about Changmin and Jisung, he rarely saw them because of his job but at the same time he wanted to be there for them. He always acted like he didn't care when he missed something in their lives, but it was the worst thing ever for him. Every school theater performance of his son he missed, every party, every moment he planned for his husband and son, but then they were called for a new case. Changmin hated it, he knew about it even though his husband never said a word about it. This night Yunho had sent everyone home right after arriving in Seoul and gave everyone the next day off, this evening, he also returned straight home. His husband was still up and the first thing he did was giving Changmin a tight hug. This moment was the moment he loved and for a moment, he forgot about all the problems, all the cases, and all the victims.

Chanyeol went home, taking off his gun and badge. His thoughts were still circling around the case and life questions; he wanted to get rid of it. He smiled to himself and nodded, this night, he would go clubbing.

When Siwon got home, he entered his big, luxury house. Sometimes he felt lonely in such a big house all alone, but he was used to it since his childhood. But to relax, he just needed a glass of wine and a good book and so he did this time again.

Their new member Jonghyun was the only one who returned to the office. Honestly, he didn't know what he should do at home, there was nobody he could talk to and he didn't want to be by himself. When returning to the office, he actually hoped that he would meet Baekhyun. He stood in front of his desk and noticed the black cover of the cylinder which Kyuhyun used for his magic trick and just by thinking of the trick, Jonghyun had to smile. Suddenly, someone tapped on his shoulder, it was Baekhyun, who was dressed up for leaving. „You're still here?" the analyst asked and Jonghyun nodded, "Want to accompany me? I know a good bar around the corner." Baekhyun smiled and gave the agent a wink; he would like to share some time with the younger one.

Donghae was glad when he could return to his family, he took Kyuhyun with him. He wanted Kyuhyun to see his godson. When Hyukjae and he got Jeno as baby, they discussed about it for a longer time since Donghae was an agent and it was always possible that something could happen to him and Hyukjae was an officer himself, they wanted to announce a godfather for their baby boy. For Donghae, only Kyuhyun was the possible godfather and Hyukjae never could refuse his husband. This evening, the three of them sat together, talking, sharing memories, having one or two drinks together and Kyhyun often checked Jeno's room where the little boy was already sleeping soundly. Suddenly, Kyuhyun's phone was vibrating and he stepped outside Jeno's room, Donghae was laying in Hyukjae's arms and Kyuhyun said goodbye before he left their apartment; he answered the call outside the door. „Hello."

„You are sounding sad, did something happen?" The voice which was talking to him was kind of high, but warm and cute, the person of this voice must be some lovely person and whenever Kyuhyun heard this special voice something happened with him but he couldn't explain it. He felt relieved and he could forget about everything which was bothering him, just be listening to this particular voice.

„It's nothing, you just caught me when I was being in thoughts. How about you? Are you okay? How about the stalker?" Kyuhyun talked calmly walking down the street.

„I'm okay, but he's still there. Kyu, tell me what were you thinking about?"

„I thought about several things."

„For example?"

„You."