Last Chapter

DARK MINDS

 

The days turned darker, the nights became longer, the sun was getting weaker and the trees were about to lose their colorful dress of leaves. The people were starting to get their warmer clothes out of the wardrobes again, the first older ladies and men, who sold their street food on every corner exchanged their summer hats which protect their skin from the hot sun beams and the heat against winter hats to protect themselves from the cold and, sometimes, freezing wind which was coming from the north over the mountains.

At the NACS headquarters, which was a bit outside of the centre of the city of Seoul, Kyuhyun was sitting outside on the terrace of the building's backyard. He wanted to try to avoid his team's curious eyes and ears, everyone knew something was bothering him, but he wasn't ready to tell anyone just yet. Kyuhyun was always a calm and quiet kid, interested in mathematics and natural sciences, psychology and human behavior; therefore, he was often bullied as a child in school. It was especially hard for him because he had finished his high school with twelve and immediately went to college, where he made his B.A.s before he visited university and got his P.h.D.s in Mathematics, Chemistry, and Engineering. Wherever he was, no matter if it was school, college or university, he was the youngest, when he visited the reading of the guest lecturer Lee Jinki at his university, the man caught his attention for criminal behavior and investigations by profiling. Because he was only 17 years old, he wasn't allowed to join the MID right away; furthermore, he had to go through some special training first. At this training, he had to learn how to use a gun, some techniques of self-defense and forensic knowledge, but since Kyuhyun had an eidetic memory, he had finished the academy within one year. Never before someone finished the academy as quickly as he did, and this fact had caught the interest of the MID's current chief Lee Jinki on the young boy. Kyuhyun quickly became a permanent member of the team, which was lead by Lee Jinki and Yunho together. Back then, Chanyeol and Donghae already were members of the team and quickly Baekhyun joined them after they caught him when he tried to hack into the MID servers. So these member knew him well, Kyuhyun never was showing much emotions, he never showed interest in romantic relationships, he never had a girlfriend or a boyfriend before, he didn't even notice when someone was flirting with him, which amused the other agents often when they were out in clubs together.

Since Donghae got to know the young genius, he was taking care of him like he was his little brother. Since the start, he had the sense of responsibility for him. When Donghae entered the NACS building and saw Kyuhyun sitting on the terrace, he walked over to him and sat down next to him. He gave his friend a smile and recognized the bothered glance on Kyuhyun's face. "What's wrong, Kyuhyun?"

The younger one turned around looking down and playing nervously with his fingers. "Hae... how do I know about love?"

"Love?" Donghae asked confused, raising one of his eyebrows and Kyuhyun nodded.

"Maybe there is someone I like."

"Oh, really? This is great. Go for it Kyuhyun. How did you get to know each other?" Donghae got excited and wanted to know everything. Kyuhyun told him that he got to know the man by writing letters. The man wrote him a letter after reading Kyuhyun's published recession about a book about a serial killer. The two of them had the same opinion but still were able to discuss everything in an advanced level which Kyuhyun really liked. They had written letters to each other for some months and got to know each other better and better. Donghae liked what he heard and wished his fosterling all the best of luck, he would like to see Kyuhyun having someone he was trusting, he could share his thoughts and mind with and someone who understood him.

Donghae wanted to deepen the topic as Baekhyun appeared and told them to get upstairs to the office. When they entered the office, they returned to their desks. Donghae had lots of paper work to do and Kyuhyun was about to finish his last report as he noticed Siwon and Yunho passing his desk while they were in some discussion.

"Do you know her?" Yunho asked.

"Well I don't know her, but she knows me" Siwon answered and, although Kyuhyun didn't know what they were talking about, he knew what this answer meant. Siwon had published some books about criminal behavior of serial killers, psychopathic personalities and ual sadists and whenever he gave this reply, it meant that the person was a fan of his work, "But I would like to check about it, it might be a new case of a serial killer."

"Alright, you have one day to check it, take Kyuhyun with you to Daejeon" Yunho said and walked ahead to his private office.

"Oh yes, this will be fun; I have the new audio book of Brian Greene's The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos for the ride" Kyuhyun talked happily and Siwon was just sighing, rolling his eyes lightly, while the young doctor jumped up from his chair and packed his case. Siwon knew that it was the best idea to take Kyuhyun with him because he was the best help Siwon could get for this but; sometimes, he didn't know how to handle the younger one.
 

 

In Daejeon, they headed immediately to the head police department where the local based NACS agent was already waiting for them. The woman was sitting in her office over some papers and Siwon knocked on the door frame to catch her attention, and as soon as she looked up, the older agent introduced himself and Kyuhyun to her.

"Thanks for coming so quickly, SA Choi, Dr. Cho. I am Wang Eunyi" the female agent greeted them back and walked to them, "We found the notes and pictures in a storage room, the person who had rent it used a fake name so we can't find him over the name."

"And you think it's a serial killer?" Kyuhyun asked while they followed Eunyi down the hallway.

"That's why we are here. How much is it?" Siwon wanted to know.

"Well, at first it was just one bigger wooden box but when we went through it, it turned out to be more than we thought" she explained and opened the door of a smaller room. In there were some official police case boxes and the two agents exchanged a look.

"Alright, we will go through everything. I will tell you what we think, when we're done" Siwon said and entered the room with Kyuhyun, closing the door behind them.

Siwon and Kyuhyun both took one box and put it on the typical white investigation gloves before they opened the boxes one by one. The boxes were filled with lots of paper and photos. The photos always showed women at the age of 25 till 40, they were all captivated on chairs, beds, pillars or timber; their eyes were covered with some cloth. Some were wearing ripped clothes, some were in underwear. They had several bruises, scratches and around their chest, they had distinctive wounds. On the papers, someone had drawn some sketches with very detailed words describing the drawings, the photos and experiences, wishes, longings of the person who wrote all this.

Kyuhyun was sitting at the desk, analyzing the hand writing by looking through a magnifier. His hands were wandering over every single word so he was feeling how much pressure the writer used while writing down his fantasies. "The pressure always changed; sometimes he even used so much force on it that the paper ripped; seems like he was having some anger issues, like he couldn't control himself anymore."

It took them several hours to watch every single photo and paper because Siwon didn't want to rush any decision without seeing every single thing of it. After he and Kyuhyun discussed their opinion about it, Siwon went to Eunyi's office. Once again, he knocked at the door frame and the agent looked up to him and smiled. It was already night, so the night shift police men were already out on patrol so besides the agents, just two more officers were at the open office.

"So what do you think? It must be a serial killer, right?"

"Well I admit, the person who wrote this has some criminal energy, but we have no proof that he did all this or if he just wrote down his fantasies and longings" Siwon said, "But without any proof, we can't do anything and my team won't come just like this."

"But you can't just go, I know there is no proof yet but my feeling tells me that there are those women out there from the pictures and maybe they are already dead."

"I am sorry; I can't help you with this."

"SA Choi, didn't you once say in your books that most serial killers keep something from their victims as a trophy?" Eunyi mentioned when Siwon was about to leave. The special agent stopped and turned back around to the woman with a nod. Then the female agent opened her drawer and got out some small bag, which contained a hank of blonde dyed hair. She threw it on the desk and Siwon stepped closer to her, taking a look on the bag.

Siwon looked up to her again and nodded. "Alright, I will call my team."
 

 

The team used their private jet to arrive early in Daejeon on the next morning after Siwon had called Yunho and told him about his view and what happened. Baekhyun was already instructed to everything and he was looking for cases of missing women between 25 and 40 around the area of Daejeon.

Chanyeol and Kyuhyun were in a room standing in front of a huge map of the town, they had marked the garage where they found all the materials at. With another color, they were marking the places where the missing women, who matched some of the women in the photos, were seen the last time. So they tried to get a geographical profile. Eunyi entered the room and asked the two agents if they found anything.

"Not really, the only hint is that all women got kidnapped near the freeway" Chanyeol mentioned while Kyuhyun kept working on the map.

"Alright my boys, inform me when you found something" she said and left the room again. Chanyeol and Kyuhyun exchanged looks; Kyuhyun looked as so often a bit confused about interpersonal actions, while Chanyeol just frowned.

"She knows that we are not 'her boys' right?" Chanyeol asked himself loudly and Kyuhyun just shrugged.

Yunho and Siwon were in another room, discussing what they knew yet, talking about a possible offender profile while Jonghyun and Donghae were working on the case files of the missing woman who were matching the victimology.

"We found another victim, her name was Im Haneul, she was an estate agent" Donghae told his leader and handed him the photo of the woman, "She went missing on the day when she had an appointment for a house viewing."

"I knew it, that bastard is a monster" Eunyi mentioned when she took a look on the photo and Donghae handed in some photos of the dead body.

"Baekhyun found out that her corpse was found near Ulsan, that's why we couldn't connect it to this case earlier" Donghae added.

"Is it sure that it's from our offender?" Yunho wanted to know and Donghae nodded.

"Yes, because she has those typical burned marks on the chest like all the others from the photos, she also has cicatrices on her wrists from being captured. The leading detective of the case has sent the report to us" Donghae talked and showed the others the folder which Siwon and Yunho directly checked out, "She was captured, tortured and murdered in the cellar of the house, which she visited for the viewing."

"And who was the potential buyer?" Siwon asked.

"The man used a fake name, Go David, this man doesn't exist."

"Go David? It's the same fake name for the garage" Eunyi remembered, "Then it's really him. Here is the proof!" She put the photos and folders on the table and left the room. The special agents of MID looked after her but quickly returned to their work.

Yunho and Siwon drove to the house, which was in a quiet neighborhood, the next houses were some meters away and lots of trees and nature surrounded the house. Yunho rang the doorbell and the agents could hear a kid playing inside. A man opened the door and looked surprised at them. "Hello... What can I do for you?"

"My name is Jung Yunho, this is my partner Choi Siwon, we are special agents from NACS" Yunho introduced them and both agents showed their NACS ID cards and badges to the man, "Do you know what happened in your cellar?"

The man stepped outside and pulled the door closer to him, he tried to avoid that his son would hear something. "I know but I would like my son not to know about it."

"We understand we would just like to take a look at the cellar" Siwon explained.

"Okay, we don't use it anyway because it's being moist, the electricity isn't working and it smells" the man told them while leading them to the backdoor entrance of the cellar. He opened it for them and stood outside. "Do I have to go inside? I would like to not go downstairs."

"It's alright Mr.Chun, you can go back to your son" Yunho said and the man returned inside his house. Yunho himself walked downstairs and Siwon followed him. He tried to turn on the lights but it was just flickering, so Yunho turned it off again and the two men switched on their flashlight. They walked around, taking a look on everything. "He must have captured her there" Yunho mentioned and pointed with the flashlight on a ceiling joist which had some indentations on its top.

"But how did he tortured her with electric shocks when the electricity down here isn't really working?" Siwon asked, but he was more talking to himself and looked around. Something caught his attention and the agent crouched down to a socket. He pushed the socket's place carefully aside. "I see... he tapped the house's electricity directly from the wires, the clip is still there."

"And the next neighbors are far away so he could have let her scream as loud as he wanted, nobody could have heard her."

"The way he let her hang from the ceiling, captured with her wrists at the joist, looks like he wanted to let her dance when torturing her with the electric shocks."

As soon as the two men had finished investigating the cellar, they returned to the police station. It was planned to inform their team and to take next steps. But when they came back, Jonghyun told them to come quickly because something was going on. Eunyi was in front of the TV cameras, telling the media about the case and that they were about to find the murderer of the missing women. The special agents couldn't believe what they were seeing and Yunho became quite mad but he was professional and didn't let anyone see his emotions. When Eunyi had returned to the office, Yunho quickly stopped her.

"Usually, the police department is collaborating with our team and we get informed about every single step. I didn't authorize this press conference" Yunho talked strictly with a cold voice but the anger, which was seething inside him, was hearable.

"This wasn't a press conference, just a simple public message to let the people know about it and to give the people a face. A face which stands for safety and justice" the female agent replied arrogantly.

"Your face!"

"Yes of course."

"You know, every one of my agents is outranking you. You should have informed us because now, my agents have to carry the can for what you have caused" Yunho said and his facial expression became darker.

"What I have caused?" Eunyi asked confused.

"In some minutes you will see what I mean" Yunho added and left the office angrily. Siwon, who had observed the scene from behind, just gave the young agent a shaking head and followed his chief into their room while the other agents prepared everything for the upcoming mass of people, who quickly came. Many people brought pictures of their missing daughters or wives coming to the department because they hoped the police had any information for them.

Jonghyun was taking care of some of the callers, but one caller was suspicious. He immediately informed the others. "Sir, there was a caller; he said he knows the place of a dead body outside of the city at the countryside. Honestly Sir, I don't think it was a simple voucher, he sounded too certain and cold, I think it was the offender himself."

"Alright, you and Chanyeol go to the scene and check it."
 

 

Chanyeol and Jonghyun took the car to the scene where the forensic team had already arrived. The dead body was buried, so the police already had dug out the corpse as much as it was possible to get it out of the whole but at first, the NACS agents had to take a look at it.

"She has the typical burns on the chest" Chanyeol said when he had crouched down next to the whole.

"Yes and her wrists have the capture marks too" Jonghyun added, "It's definitely our man."

Chanyeol gave the forensic team a sign that they were ready, the agents stood up and walked back to their car as one of the forensic scientists called them back again. "Agents, you better stay here" she said and the two walked back. The men had lifted the dead body into a black, plastic bag to bring it to the pathology as it revealed a dead body of another woman.

Quickly, the two of them returned to the department and informed the others. Now they had three dead bodies, lots of missing women and boxes full of photos and notes, but no clue where the man was, since when he was murdering or anything which was really helpful. They were discussing the murderer's profile and wanted to reveal it to the officers and Eunyi as they noticed that she was gone.

"When was the last time you saw her?" Yunho asked as they rushed into her office. The small TV was still running, showing news, but her phone and handbag were gone.

"I had a longer talk with her yesterday but she was there earlier" Siwon mentioned.

"I saw her when Chanyeol and Kyuhyun left for the new crime scene. She was in her office and got a call when I passed the office" Jonghyun said.

"Baekhyun should track her phone" Donghae spoke and called their analysts who quickly found the position of the phone. It was located in the parking garage of a small shopping centre. Baekhyun gave them the address and Siwon and Jonghyun quickly rushed there. They found Eunyi's company car, which was locked; some meters, they found her phone on the ground.

"There are some blood splatters" Siwon said when he picked up the phone with a tissue.

"It looks like she was dragged away" Jonghyun talked and followed the scratches on the ground, "He must have parked his car here, beat her down and dragged her to the car and then left the parking lot again to his hideout."

Siwon took his phone, he was calling Yunho. He told him that she was kidnapped by the offender as well and while Siwon was on one line, Baekhyun was on the other line. He had already hacked himself into the security cameras to find anything which would be helpful for them.

"Unbelievable... he was there..." Baekhyun babbled into the phone and all they could hear were the sound of Baekhyun's fingers run over the keyboard.

"Baby boy, we need full sentences to understand you" Chanyeol said and got Baekhyun out of his delirium.

"Oh yes sorry. One of the cameras filmed his car and I am already checking his car's tag number", Baekhyun talked as quickly as his fingers where rushing over the keyboard of his computer, "The car belongs to someone called Chang Minseong; his address is in Daedeok-gu, Daejeon-ro 1034beon-gil. I've send the address on your tablets."

The team rushed to the address and so did Siwon and Jonghyun. With a group of police men, they arrived at the house which looked empty from the outside. When getting prepared, they all tried to hear anything but the house was well soundproofed, that the screaming of the tortured women weren't hearable. When they entered the staircase of the house, they could hear the screaming of a woman. The woman was begging her cruel punisher to stop and to let her go but then the screaming continued.

The police kicked open the door and the agents walked quickly into the apartment. The man was sitting on the ground, with some on-off switch in his hand, which he used to give his victims the electric shocks from afar. Chanyeol and Jonghyun overwhelmed the man and handcuffed him while Siwon went to Eunyi, who was captured on a chair, to free her. Her blouse was ripped, some conductors were stuck to her chest, her s were still covered by her bra. Donghae put some blanket around her and accompanied her out to the ambulance. Yunho found another woman who was laying on the ground around a corner.

Siwon followed the ambulance to the hospital while the others were questioning Chang Minseong at the police department. When Yunho came along, Donghae was standing outside of the questioning room, observing everything through the hidden window.

"Did he say anything already?" Yunho asked but Donghae shook his head.

"He isn't talking; he is just showing on the pictures of the women he killed. Yet we have thirty already."

At the same time, Siwon visited Wang Eunyi in the hospital. She was lucky, she wasn't as badly hurt as it looked like when they found her because Chang Minseong just had started with her some minutes before they arrived.

"How are you doing?"

"I am alright" Eunyi said and was putting on some clothes again.

"You will return right away?" Siwon asked while he was leaning against the door, "Everyone would understand when you would take some days off to recover, the headquarters could send some substitution."

"There's no need for substitution, just because I was his 'last chapter', as he always said."

"Wang Eunyi, what happened today, do you know why it happened?"

"Yeah I know it's my fault, because of my message through the press, I've caught his attention but this way, we were able to finally catch him" the woman said while dressing up.

"Well that is true, but this happened because for you, your public presence and that little bit of glory and attention you will get now, was more important to you than anything else. You have read my books and, as you said, you visited all my guest readings at the academy, but did you not learn anything from it? The people always remember the murderer, but never the victims." The female agent packed her bag and was about to leave. "I know you have lied."

"What?" she asked surprised and stopped next to Siwon.

"That blond hair in the case you showed me, to make me believe it was from the boxes and belonged to one of the victims. I know it was a lie. At the academy you had dyed blond hair, right? This hank was a souvenir of your former self."

Eunyi just snorted slightly and walked again. She didn't want to hear anything about all this. She knew the man was a serial killer and by tricking the great Choi Siwon, she let the popular team of the Mannerism Investigation Division come to Daejeon and just because of her help, they had caught him.

"Don't you want to know what happened with her?" Siwon asked and looked after Eunyi who was already walking away. She stopped and looked down. He knew that the other woman was one of Eunyi's acquaintances and she had to see how her friend was being tortured. "She died..."

She was hesitating for a moment but then she walked ahead and didn't look back anymore. She walked straight to the people from the press who were waiting in front of the hospital. She proclaimed that the so called electric-killer was caught and no woman had to be afraid anymore.

Siwon watched her from afar for a moment before he walked over to his car. He hoped that she would learn quickly that it wasn't the right way she was taking because he had learnt it on the hard way; as a young agent he was like her too. Thanks to him, the people knew the names of several murderers but never of their victims.
 

 

When they were back in Seoul, everyone returned to the NACS headquarters since there was still time they could use it for some paper work. Everyone was busy with their work as Kyuhyun noticed his phone in his pocket, which was vibrating. He totally forgot that he had turned off the sound when he was leaving Seoul with Siwon. He stood up and walked outside before he answered the call.

"Hello, sorry we had a case and I had turned off my sound notifications earlier" Kyuhyun apologized as soon as he had took the call, causing some giggles at the other end.

"It's alright Kyu, I just wanted to hear how you are doing since we didn't talk for a while and I got a little worried."

"I am alright; I was just busy these days, how about you?" The other one smiled, Kyuhyun knew so because he heard it through the phone because every time the other man smiled, his voice became lighter and sounded happier. "Did something happen? You sound eased."

"You really must be a genius, you know something happened just because of my voice."

"I don't know if this makes me a genius" Kyuhyun smiled shyly to himself. He felt flattered by the words of the man, who he liked a lot. "So what makes you feeling relieved?"

"What do you think about a meeting?"

"A meeting?"

"Yes. You and I will meet in a restaurant or something like this."

"But how about your stalker? You always said you can't leave the house because of him" Kyuhyun asked confused. He didn't want anything more than finally being able to see the person with this lovely voice, but at the same time, he was extremely nervous and uncertain about what to do.

"He is gone. He didn't appear for days already. I think he gave up."

"Really?"

"Yes. Yesterday was the first time I went outside and took a walk for months. I felt free and wasn't scared. He must be gone, there is no other possibility."

Kyuhyun was happy that the stalker was gone so his talking partner was finally able to live normally again. Never again he had to be afraid of that man, who was chasing him, never again he had to hide himself in his house, and he was free again.

"Kyu?"

"Huh? What? Sorry..."

Another giggle made Kyuhyun smile. "I asked you what you think about a meeting."

"Oh... yes, that would be nice."

They continued their call for a little bit before Kyuhyun had to return to his work. The two of them arranged a date for their meeting, which made Kyuhyun really happy. When he returned to his work place with a huge smile on his lips, Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Jonghyun were surprised and gave each other confused looks because they didn't know this from their youngest team member. But Donghae knew what this was about, he didn't know what exactly happened but he was sure that it was about that young man that Kyuhyun was writing letters with and whatever the exact reason for his behavior was, Donghae was glad to see Kyuhyun smile like this.