Halloween

DARK MINDS

 

(note: for the storyline I have to put Kyuhyun as youngest member of the team (in his mid-twenties), please understand and remember while reading)

 

When the nature is changing, the leaves color becoming yellow or red, the wind is getting rough, bringing some cold air from the north ,and; sometimes, the rain is sending off the people to sleep but the sun is still waking them in the morning, then the autumn is coming over the country. The shops and big department stores were decorating their windows for Chuseok festival and Halloween. Although Halloween wasn't a typical Korean holiday, many people liked the idea of dressing up and partying while the family followed the tradition of walking around the neighborhood with their dressed up children, asking for candy; which's trick or treat. Usually, the kids didn't play pranks when they weren't trick or treating, but some older children tried it because they liked the idea of it.

Yunho and Changmin were shopping for Chuseok together with Jisung, yet they didn't know if they should go for trick or treat with Jisung, but their son couldn't decide on any costume for Halloween either. They had talked about it several times but every time, Jisung wanted to dress up as something else. At first, he wanted to go as a cowboy, then as a prince, then as a famous actor like his dad Changmin, the other time he wanted to go as a police agent like Yunho. They had decided to let him get an idea by himself, but Yunho felt like it was his turn to find a cool costume for his son. The little family was in a apartment store, Changmin kneeled next to Jisung, who checked several costumes but still couldn't decide, and Yunho watched them while holding their shopping bags. Suddenly, Yunho's service phone rang and he placed the bags on the ground before he answered the call. Changmin stood up and watched his husband, he already knew what it meant when Yunho got called on this phone. It meant that he had to go again. Yunho agreed to his caller and then Changmin heard the words he hated so much: „I am on my way." His husband put his phone back into his pocket and turned to his family, Changmin gave him a blank glance, Jisung was standing in front of Changmin, with his father laying his hands on his son's shoulders.

„You have to go again, daddy?" Jisung asked and looked sadly up to Yunho. It was hard for the agent, he wanted to stay with them, preparing everything for the festival days, but it was his job, his duty, his passion and maybe it was his determination to chase the iniquitous.

Yunho kneeled down to Jisung to look him straight into his eyes, those dark brown, innocent eyes he loved so much. „I am sorry Jisungie but Daddy has to work, but I promise you I will be here again so we can go out for trick or treat on Sunday. And what do you think when Daddy will bring you some really cool costume?" Jisung smiled and nodded in agreement. Yunho smiled back and gave his son a kiss on the forehead before he stood up again. He wanted to kiss his husband before leaving, but Changmin turned his head away. „I'm sorry Changmin, its not like I want to go."

„Its alright, just try to keep your promise you gave Jisung right now" Changmin said coldly, he hated it so much when Yunho had to leave like this, it always happened when they were doing things as a family. Changmin grabbed the shopping bags and took Jisung's hand. „Say goodbye to daddy Jisungah, we will go now too." Jisung did as his dad told him and Yunho looked after them.



In the meanwhile, in the office Kyuhyun was always sitting in his desk, he was over some papers. Baekhyun prepared the meeting room together with Jonghyun; the two of them had become good friends. When Chanyeol entered the office, he noticed his friend Kyuhyun looking worried, he didn't know what the young genius was reading but he looked like he was disturbed. Chanyeol sneaked up to Kyuhyun and suddenly leaned over his shoulder, trying to see what his friend was reading. Kyuhyun got a fright and quickly hid the paper, which looked like a letter, under some folders.

„Chanyeol what are you doing? You scared me!"

„Sorry kid, I was just curious what you were reading" Chanyeol admitted and leaned against Kyuhyun's desk, trying to push the folders aside when Kyuhyun didn't pay attention. But the genius had his eyes and ears everywhere, he quickly grabbed all the folders together with the letter and put it into his leather case.

He gave Chanyeol a serious glance, something the agent had never seen before. Chanyeol didn't even know Kyuhyun was able to look like this. „This is none of your business, alright? You don't always have to know what is going on in other people's life."

„Wow kid, what's wrong? Keep calm okay? You know you can always talk to me, you looked worried while reading so I thought maybe something happened. All I wanted was to help you" Chanyeol said and stepped back from Kyuhyun's desk.

„I am fine, no need to help me."

„Fine, but remember that I am your friend and I'm always there for you."

Kyuhyun took his case and walked to the meeting room where he already took place in his usual seat and Chanyeol looked confused after him. „What happened?", Baekhyun asked, who appeared next to Chanyeol, holding a tray with some cups with tea in his hands.

„I have no idea" Chanyeol sighed then he turned to Baekhyun,"How about you? Are you okay? Its Halloween soon are you crazy for it already?"

But Baekhyun just grinned and turned to Chanyeol, „Oh darling, did you forget that I am just going crazy for you, my y honey bear..." Baekhyun's words made Chanyeol laugh and smile brightly, while shaking his head jokingly. „Show me your fantastic hands" Baekhyun ordered the agent who looked confused but did what he was told to do. Chanyeol didn't know what he should expect now but he expected everything else than what Baekhyun really was doing. The small analyst just put the tray in Chanyeol's hands and smiled at him. „Now go and serve our friends in the meeting room."

„What am I? Your personal servant?"

„Oh that would be too great if you would be, Baekhyun laughed and followed Chanyeol upstairs to the meeting room while letting enough space between him and Chanyeol to check out the tall man's backside. „Mhhh... too nice for the world I must be dreaming."

One by one was entering the meeting room, they were just waiting for Yunho and Siwon who came together. Everyone was ready for the meeting, to talk about the new case like they usually did but this time, Yunho didn't even let Baekhyun start his presentation. He was still in his coat and stood at the head of the table.

„Its urgent, we have no time we will leave directly, we will hold the meeting on the flight to Andong, Baekhyun, we will add you via video conference" Yunho told them and left the room again, the agents exchanged confused looks but followed their chief. Yunho just picked up some papers from his office before he left the NACS building together with his team. They were quickly going to the NACS's private airfield, where the team's jet was always waiting for them and ready for take off. They sat down, spread over two tables, with Baekhyun added to their conversation over some screen which was at the front of the jet and the analyst explained what this case was about.

„Near a market place, at the center of the city, people had found the dead body of a child, the corpse was wearing some Halloween costume. Besides that, it's certain that the dead child was reported to be missing last year" the analyst informed the team and showed the photos of the dead body.

„The child was kidnapped last year on Halloween and now they found his dead body?" Jonghyun asked and checked the photos which they got from the local police department of Andong.

„Yes."

„And why exactly did they call us?" Chanyeol asked.

„This is not the first child" Siwon explained, "Last year, some days before Halloween, they found the dead body of a child near the market place, the dead boy was also wearing a Halloween costume. He also disappeared on Halloween the year before."

„So the offender kidnaps a boy on Halloween, while they are out for trick or treat and keeps them captured for almost one year?" Donghae was shocked and shook his head, unable to believe what he was hearing, "But what is he doing with them all the time?"

„Baekhyun, did they get ?" Yunho wanted to know.

„I'm sorry Sir, but the pathological report isn't finished yet."

„Alright, then Chanyeol and Kyuhyun, you two will go to the pathology at first. Siwon and Jonghyun will question the mother of the dead child while Donghae and I will visit the place where the corpse was found."

Everyone agreed while Donghae and Chanyeol noticed that Kyuhyun looked on his phone. He has been quiet the whole time while the team was talking about the case, which was abnormal for the doctor, so not only the two of them noticed it, but also the others.

„Kyuhyun?" Donghae said and tapped on the younger one's shoulder who slightly startled and looked up to him. The whole team was looking at him. „Kyuhyun, are you okay? You didn't say a word, did you even listen to what we were saying?"

„Oh, no I am fine I was listening."

„Really? So no extra details or facts about Andong or anything else?" Jonghyun asked.

„Oh? Andong? Well Andong might be the largest city in the northern part of Gyeongsangbuk-do province but compared to Busan or other metropolitan cities Andong is small with a population of 167,821 as of October 2010, besides that it's a market center for the surrounding agricultural areas and it's a quite countrified city" Kyuhyun said and nodded slightly.

„So?"

„Ehm..." Kyuhyun didn't know what to say, he was in thoughts and didn't really listen to what everyone was talking about.

„As Kyuhyun said it's a agrarian town and the people there know each other, they know their neighbors, the children living around, there must be someone who had noticed anything because, when it was a stranger, they would have recognized it" Yunho talked and gave Kyuhyun a cold glance. Everyone noticed that something was wrong with him but nobody wanted to ask him directly yet. Kyuhyun stood up and sat down in a chair some rows behind them, he was looking out of the window, his phone always in his hand, holding it tightly.

„What's wrong with him?" Donghae asked the group but everyone just shrugged their shoulders and Donghae looked worried to Kyuhyun. Something must have bothered him, but he knew the young man well enough to know that Kyuhyun wouldn't tell him when he would ask him, the doctor was the one who had come to them and tell them when he was ready.



When they arrived in Andong, everyone followed their chief's order which he gave them while the flight. Yunho and Donghae checked out the market with the leading detective. It was a simple market where the merchants and farmers sold their products twice per week. Donghae inquired if anyone had noticed something this morning when the dead body was found under a trailer, which was full of several vegetables, but the detective said that nobody had noticed someone who was near the trailer.

„Who's the owner of the trailer?" Yunho asked and the detective pointed to an old man who was sitting under an awning. A police man was next to him, handing him some water. The old man was still in shock. Yunho and Donghae walked over to him. „Hello Sir, my name is Jung Yunho and this is my partner Lee Donghae, we are special agents from Seoul and we would like to ask you some questions about that incident this morning."

„Can you tell us directly what happened?" Donghae asked and gave the old man a smile.

„It was so shocking. I saw many dead bodies when I was in war, but this was terrifying me. The poor kid, he had his life still ahead. Death should have taken me instead."

„Sir, can you tell us in detail?"

„I was carrying some more vegetables to my trailer which I always use as sales table when I am here. I was in my car, which always stood around the corner, to get two bags of rice to sell them and, when I came back, I saw something black under my trailer. I put the rice bags down and quickly noticed it was a dead child" the old man told them, "I immediately called the police."

„But you didn't see anyone near your trailer? Maybe a stranger?" Yunho went on but the old man negated his questions. So Yunho turned to Donghae and the detective. „He waited for the old man to leave his trailer before he laid the corpse down."

Meanwhile, Siwon and Jonghyun reached the house of the dead boy's mother, the police already told her what happened and when the agents arrived at the house, the woman was still sitting in a chair in her kitchen. Jonghyun sat down to her, while Siwon stood near the table. The woman told them about her son, how energetic he was, never scared of anything, he wanted to go out for trick or treat so badly but she had to work in the night shift in the local hospital, so she couldn't accompany him. She sent him off with his best friend and the big brother, who was a teenage, she thought he was old enough already to watch his brother and her son, but her son stopped to tie his shoe laces while the others were walking ahead, from that moment her son was unseen. She started to cry again, the whole year she hoped her son would return to her someday.

„Mrs. Yun, I am sorry, you have my sympathy and I promise you, we will find the man who did this to your son" Jonghyun said and the woman nodded, "Is it possible for us to take a look in Pyeong's room?" She nodded again and told them that it was the first room on the left side when walking upstairs.

The agents went upstairs and entered the room, which was still the same as the year before Pyeong was kidnapped. Jonghyun took a photo which showed the boy and his mother, they looked happy together. When he placed it back on the table, he noticed another picture, which showed a uniformed man. „Seems like his dad is a soldier" Jonghyun mentioned.

„She kept everything like it was, as if her son would return every moment like when he came back from school" Siwon said and walked slowly around in the room, "She said he was energetic and was never scared of anything. What if he knew the attacker?"

„You mean, that he followed him by himself?"

„Yes, it could be possible that he knew him because nobody heard any scream and, when a child like him is grabbed and taken away, don't you think he would scream and try to call attention to him so that someone would help him? I mean it was Halloween, even in a small town like Andong, some people would have been out on the streets" Siwon explained his mind.

„That's true and he doesn't look like someone who would follow a stranger just for candies." Siwon agreed to this also, they were sure it was someone the boy had known, someone from this city, someone many people knew here.

Chanyeol and Kyuhyun were at the pathology, taking a look at the corpse. Kyuhyun was wearing white rubber gloves because he often touched the dead bodies to take closer looks while Chanyeol was talking to the pathologist. Kyuhyun checked the hematoma on the body of the boy, which he had everywhere.

„Did he get ?" Chanyeol asked and the pathologist nodded to him.

„Several times actually."

„And he died because of the wound on his head?"

„Yes, he lost a lot of blood and must have died quickly."

„That cut finger of him, it was cut before or after he died?" Chanyeol wanted to know while he was looking directly at the dead body, but before the pathologist was able to answer, Kyuhyun was back in his elements.

„The finger was cut before he died, out of the wound healing, you can see that the finger was cut and then the offender burned the wound until it was closed. It proves he is a sadist, he must keep the finger as his trophy."

The pathologist was speechless for a little moment. „Well, your young friend here is right, I can't add any more information to this."

Chanyeol and the pathologist were talking about some more details as suddenly, Kyuhyun's phone rang. The young man quickly took off his gloves and threw them into the bin near by before he went outside. Chanyeol looked surprised after him, he returned to the conversation with the pathologist; although, he was extremely curious what was going on with his friend. Never before Kyuhyun's behavior was like this, and when someone from the team would call, he didn't have to leave the room. The agent quickly ended the conversation with the pathologist and followed Kyuhyun outside. He was talking quietly on the phone so Chanyeol couldn't really hear anything and he didn't want to eavesdrop his friend so he stepped out of the shadow of the house and walked over to Kyuhyun who ended the call as soon as he saw Chanyeol coming closer.

„Something important?" Chanyeol asked but Kyuhyun shook his head and put his phone back in his pocket. „Well we should return to the team and see what they found out." The younger one nodded and followed Chanyeol to the car.



At the police department, they informed each other about the newest awareness before they were ready to tell the police men the offender's profile. As always, they stood in front of the men who all gathered in the open office. There even were the chief's of the other police departments, who Yunho called over, so that they were able to inform their police men too. Since it was a small town, he wanted to let all police men know about it.

„All victims where kidnapped around the center of the town, and all were found in the market almost one year later so the kidnapper must be from the neighborhood too" Jonghyun started.

„We are sure that the kids knew their kidnapper, they followed him by choice, he didn't have to force them to accompany him, neither he had to lure them with candies or anything like this" Siwon continued.

„The kidnapper cut off one finger of the victims and them several times, that shows us that he is a sadist, but he is able to hide his cravings from society" Kyuhyun mentioned.

„What we want to say is that it's quite sure that many people know him, maybe even some of you know him" Donghae added.

„He isn't really conspicuous, a normal average man, he lacks of human contact, maybe you try to avoid getting too much in touch with him. He has an easy job, which he must have changed several times because of violence offenses. But at his job, he saw the kids, they knew him from his work place because as a neighbor, he is quiet, unseen" Yunho completed their report and thanked everyone for listening. The people parted ways again, some returned to their desks while others started their shift by going on patrol.

The special agents got together again to discuss their information as Donghae noticed that Kyuhyun wasn't with them. The youngest member of the team was outside in front of the house, walking up and down the street. He was deeply in thoughts, thinking about the case. Then he looked around to check that nobody was observing him and took out his phone, the number he was dialing he knew by heart already.

„Hello" the person at the other end said.

„I need your help."

„What's the matter? Did something happen?" his conversational partner asked.

„Its about our case, I feel like there is something we missed, but I can't concentrate on it and I can't come to a conclusion about it. And I don't know who I can talk to about it besides you" Kyuyhun explained ,"The kidnapper takes them on Halloween while they are trick or treating, but they never screamed for help, they followed him by choice, who would a child follow so blindly, I can't get this. It must be someone they know, someone they trust."

„Kyu, you already know the answer yourself. You said they trusted him, kids trust someone who is authoritarian or someone who has a trustworthy job like a police man or firefighter."

„Yeah right but that doesn't match the profile. He's a sadist, he can control himself but not when it comes to those kids."

„As you said it must be someone they trust because they know them. Kyu, you know it already, just clear your mind."

„Please, help me, I have no idea, my brain is closed."

„Oh no don't say it like this, just close your eyes for a moment and take a deep breath."

„I can't concentrate I always have to think of you, that something could happen to you, that he would do something to you."

„Kyu listen to me, I am fine, he didn't appear today. Everything is alright, don't think about me, think about the kids, you know the answer already, you just need to find it; with your answer, you can save another child's life" the other man said and talked with his calm voice. Kyhyun took a deep breath and closed his eyes, he let his thoughts circle around the case and; suddenly, he opened his eyes and flipped his fingers.

„Oh, I know it! Thanks Wookie you are the best" Kyuhyun said happily and his talking partner giggled quietly. They said goodbye to each other and Kyuhyun quickly returned to his team. „It must be their school bus driver!" Kyuhyun shouted when he entered the room, "They see them every day, they trust him, he has some connection to them, they talk with each other sometimes and, as school bus driver, he has several kids from one neighborhood, he knows them all."

Chanyeol patted Kyuhyun's shoulder. „You did it great, kid."

Yunho called Baekhyun, now they only needed a name and an address. „Baekhyun, we need all school bus drivers of who are located in Andong downtown."

„You are talking to your omniscient oracle who just send a list of all school bus drivers to your tablets" Baekhyun talked charmingly.

„Baekhyun can you check their backgrounds? Like did anyone have an entry on his police file about violence crime" Siwon asked their analysts.

„Two of them already have a police file, the first one is a man called Bae Hyunwoo, he got indicted because he picked a fight in a bar and his opponent got badly battered by him. The other one is Ko Ahnwon, he has several entries on his file because of ual harassment and fisticuffs and also because of an misdemeanor of bodily harm" Baekhyun informed them.

„We need his address, Baek" Donghae said.

„204, Hahoe-ri, Pungcheon-myeon."

The team rushed to their cars and, while they were on their way, everyone got ready for their storm on the kidnapper's place. The house was like every other house they saw on their way, it was nothing special, it just showed the agents that the man hid himself in the bulk of all the other people. Siwon kicked open the door and Chanyeol stormed in at first, they checked every room but Ko Ahnwon wasn't there.

„Everything is safe, he is not here" Siwon said and noticed something on a shelf. It was a glass filled with some colorless liquid and in the glass were four little fingers. „There were more victims than Yun Pyeong and the boy before him."

„So he really lives here but he must have kept the boys somewhere else, someone would have noticed it when he would have kept unknown boys here with him" Jonghyun specified.

„Now we just need to know him" Donghae admitted.

„I will go downstairs to inform the forensic science to investigate the flat" Kyuhyun said and walked downstairs. In front of the house. Kyuhyun got stopped by Donghae who grabbed him on his shoulder from behind.

„Kyuhyun, what's wrong with you?"

„Nothing, I am fine."

„But something must be wrong."

„I am just tired, I don't sleep well these days." Kyuhyun wanted to change the topic as he suddenly noticed a man who was observing everything from afar. „Hae! He is here!" Suddenly Kyuhyun pulled out his gun from its holster and started walking straight to Ko Ahnwon who turned around and tried to run away. Kyuhyun ran after him and Donghae followed while talking into his hand radio set to inform the others. Donghae saw how Kyuhyun ran around a corner into a small street. „Stop there!"

Kyuhyun had trapped him in a blind alley, pointing his gun straight at the man. When Donghae followed, the older agent checked Kyuhyun who was just standing still. „Hands up!" Donghae ordered and slowly got closer to the man and, as his colleagues arrived at the scene, Donghae put his gun back into his holster and fixed the man's hands behind his back. Siwon and Chanyeol took over the man to bring him to the car, while Yunho calmed Kyuhyun down. It was obvious that something was bothering their youngest team member but they wouldn't ask him about it, they would wait until he was ready to tell them by himself.

On their flight back, Kyuhyun was laying on the longer bench, sleeping, he looked tired but they were profilers, they knew there was more than an insomnia bothering the younger one, but all of them had their own problems to deal with. They were a family and they would be there if anyone of the team needed them but for the moment, they had no choice than leaving Kyuhyun by himself. 

 

 

Their case took them two days until they could return to Seoul and, as soon as they arrived, Yunho asked Siwon if he could borrow his car since they came together, the team leader came along with him in his car instead of his own one. Siwon lend him the car, for him it was no problem to take a taxi. Yunho immediately left, it was the day of Halloween and he still needed to organize the costume for Jisung. On their flight back home, he had called several costume rental shops and found one who had left over the costume he wanted for his son. He reached the shop some minutes before it closed.

„Hello, I've called for the costume earlier."

„Ah yes, you were lucky because this is the last one we've got" the shop assistant said while walking behind the counter. He picked up a box which he placed on the counter.

„How much is it?"

„35500 Won."

Yunho gave the shop assistant the money and received the package for it. He thanked the shop worker and left the store. He was returning to his house and, on his way, he already saw several families walking around the streets for tick or treat.

He parked the car, took the box and opened the door through the automatically door opener by typing in their code number. The door opened with a buzzing and Yunho entered the floor. He could hear the TV in the background and some noises from the kitchen. The delicious smell of Changmin's selfmade Bibimbap filled Yunho's nose. „I am home", Yunho said loudly while taking off his shoes and immediately, he heard his son's footsteps coming closer. The little boy ran down the corridor and hugged his dad tightly.

„Daddy! Daddy! What costume did you get for me?"

„Are you that curious about it?" Yunho smiled and noticed Changmin who was leaning against the door frame of the kitchen, watching them form afar. Yunho opened the package and pulled out some black costume, with a well-known mask.

Jisung picked the costume happily. „Woahhh~ I am Darth Vader!!!!" The boy jumped up and down happily and turned to Changmin. „Appa look what daddy got for me! Can we go for trick or treat now all together?"

„After dinner we will go" Changmin told his son and smiled.

„But can I wear my costume already?" Changmin nodded and Jisung ran into his room.

Yunho stepped close to Changmin and gave him a slight smile. „I am sorry I had to go again."

„Its alright, forget about it. You kept your promise to Jisung, this is all what counts" Changmin said and went back to the kitchen to finish preparing dinner for them. Yunho gave him a back-hug and kissed his cheek before he helped his husband by setting the table. This time, he was able to hold his promise to his son, which he had to thank his team who was able to find the offender quickly but he knew he wouldn't be always able to keep his promises. And, although he knew that there would come a time when he had to break a promise, he would always try his best to keep it, for his son's and husband's sake