Dates

DARK MINDS

 

The landscape was rushing aside the windows of the car, usually the people besides the driver in a car were used to look out of the window, discovering the nature and environment around. But this time, it was different; the driver was as always concentrated on the traffic; although he wasn't armed, behind him was a man sitting, having a gun in his hand, ready to use it.

It was a tense situation, but Yunho stayed calm. He was trained for situations like this, and being in this job for years already, he also got used to them. The agent listened to what Yoochun and Eunhye were talking about, while sitting in the backseat but, unfortunately, the offender didn't give any information which Yunho could have used against him or to save the children without letting him go in the end. Yunho had decided to save the children, of course, although he didn't like the thought of having Yoochun get away. The chief already gave his gun to Chanyeol in the kiosk before they left. He also had to put aside his ear plugin for their radio connection. Park Yoochun also ordered him to undress his bulletproof vest and to turn off his phone, so their technical analyst won't be able to track them.

They were driving along the highway for a while, until Yoochun led them down onto a small country road. The next city was some kilometers away and really hard to reach by foot; a perfect place to hide the kids from everyone because it was quite impossible to find them by themselves, without any hint or information. The car was heading near the seaside, but at the edge of a small forest, Yoochun ordered the agent to stop the car. The three people got off and Yoochun walked immediately ahead into the woods together with Eunhye, leaving Yunho behind.

"Where are the kids?" Yunho shouted after them and they stopped. Yoochun turned around again and threw Yunho's phone to the agent, and then he pointed to the nearby seaside. Yunho followed a small path over a hill to the beach. On the hill, he was looking around and noticed a small tent, with some children sitting around it. The kids looked frozen and kind of scared. The cold wind was harshly wrecking on the tent when it was blowing strongly over the free area, causing a great stir and the waves broke loudly in the surge. Before the agent walked down the sandy hill, he looked back to the woods, but Park Yoochun and Lee Eunhye were gone, his feet slipped down so that he was more scooting down the sand dune.

As soon as the kids noticed a man walking towards them, they rushed to him and when Yunho told them that he came to save them, some of them were so happy that they started to cry. They told them how scary and cold it was, that they have been captured in a dark basement for hours before a man marooned them at this place.

Yunho his phone and called his team; Baekhyun tracked his position through his phone and sent several ambulances and police men there from the town nearby, so that they could take care of the children quickly. Some were about to super-cool and needed professional help by ambulance men.

His team reached the seaside as quickly as they could and Yunho told them about the way Yoochun and Eunhye walked through. A team of agents, police men and mantrailer were searching the area but, soon, the dogs lost the track. Jonghyun noticed some skid marks on the ground. "He must have prepared a car here, which they used to get off."

"It’s impossible to follow them, we have no idea about what car they used or anything" Siwon said and looked around the area, "Seems like now we only can wait until he strikes again."

Chanyeol angrily kicked the ground. "Damn it! We had him already and, once again, he tricked us and got away..."

"Don't worry, we will catch him and then he will never leave prison again. After everything that happened; he will have to stay in jail forever" Donghae spoke and tried to calm his colleague down. He understood how Chanyeol was feeling, all of them were angry that they got tricked again but when they had to meet with Park Yoochun, they already knew that it could end like this again. Donghae himself quickly returned to Yunho, who stayed at his car, and helped his chief to take care of the children. When all kids were taken to the hospital or their parents, the agents returned to Seoul. Yunho told his agents to take the rest of the day off, to recover and relax, the agent himself drove home.

The apartment he entered was empty. The roller blinds were still covering the windows, letting only small sun beams inside, lightening up some spots here and there. He took off his shoes and walked into the kitchen, where he opened the blind at first. His eyes squinted slightly for the first seconds, when the light entered the room. The agent leaned against the work surface of the kitchen, his back facing the window. The glance was wandering through the empty room, his ears were waiting for his son's lovely voice, who would run to him, greet him, jump into his arms, but it was just quiet.

Yunho walked over to Jisung's room, he opened the blinds half way. The bed wasn't made, the blankets and pillows laid crisscross over the bed. The agent sat down on the edge of his son's bed after he had picked up a stuffed animal, holding it tightly in his hands. He noticed the clothes and toys, which were spread all over the ground. A deep sigh broke the silence, although he was used to not see his son and husband every day, he felt like it would take a lot of time to see them again, but the main point was that they were at a safe place.

He nodded to himself that everything was going to be alright, and then he stood up and tidied up his son's room, before he went into the parent's bedroom. It wasn't cleaned up either because they had to leave abruptly last night. After he took care of his and Changmin's bedroom, he packed another bag for himself, which he placed in his car. It would be his emergency bag because, as soon as Park Yoochun would return and his family would be in danger, he needed to be ready to go where ever he or his family was. The chief returned to the headquarters, he didn't want to stay home alone, so he wanted to use the time to finish some of his paper works.

 

 

Donghae used the free time with his family. He picked up Jeno from the preschool earlier. They went to a small street food tent which was close to the school, where they had late lunch together. Donghae got his son everything he wanted. The agent often felt like he didn't have enough time for his son. He used every free minute with his little boy. Although Donghae was unlike Yunho or other team members, Donghae returned home every day as long as they stayed in Seoul. Every moment he could share with his son and husband was a moment he treasured in his heart.

When he saw the bulk of kids, who were freezing, hurt and crying for their parents, his heart ached. He was always very protective when it comes to children, also about his family and team members, but earlier, he couldn't stop himself from imagining what he would do if Jeno would be one of those kids. Neither he could tell himself, if he could be able to stay as calm as Yunho does, when his family was in danger.

After they had finished their lunch, Donghae took Jeno to a playground near their neighborhood. Their bags and stuff lay on a bench, but since it was cold and nobody was around, the young man didn't have to fear that anything could get stolen. The two of them were playing together in the park, they played hide and seek and went on the swings. Jeno enjoyed the time with his dad and it became even more fun after Hyukjae joined them. From the two men, Hyukjae was the one who was more active and wildly when he was playing with Jeno, while Donghae stayed steadier and often told his husband to keep it calm. Their laughers and Jeno's childish screams filled the area. For a while, Donghae had forgotten everything else. It was like there were just the three of them in this world. No cruel murderers, no violence, no terrorism, no war; just them being happily together. It was another memory Donghae wanted to keep in his heart, something he thought about when he missed his husband and son, when the dark side of the world was getting the upper hand again.

At the same time, Kyuhyun was on his way to Ryeowook's new work place. The smaller one applied for a new job as a genetic expert for some big company. Kyuhyun was glad that he found something new, especially because Ryeowook felt comfortable again. He wasn't afraid anymore and he was about to go through the shock about the night he got kidnapped.

The agent waited in front of the company for Ryeowook to come out, their shift was done in some minutes and Kyuhyun wanted to give him a surprise by picking him up. He greeted some of Ryeowook's co-workers with a nod when they passed him. When Ryeowook walked out of the building, he was talking to one female colleague so he didn't notice Kyuhyun right away. But, as soon as he saw his tall man, a bright smile decorated the fragile man's face.

Ryeowook said goodbye to his colleague and followed Kyuhyun to his car. They started driving, while the drive they were talking. Usually, they always had good conversations about several topics, when they were deeply in discussion; it was hard for others to follow them because it was difficult to understand everything when two genius men were into a topic. But this time, Ryeowook was curious about where Kyuhyun wanted to take him that he couldn't concentrate much on their conversation.

Kyuhyun didn't say a word about where he wanted to go with Ryeowook and he followed small streets, so that the geneticist won't be able to get any hints by street signs. He parked the car in a small alley near a hill, which they walked up. For Ryeowook, it was even hard to guess in which district they were, because the small streets and neighborhoods used to look all the same. After they had reached some stairs, Kyuhyun took Ryeowook's hand and laid a lock into the smaller man's hand. At first, Ryeowook didn't really understand and Kyuhyun pointed up. Behind a big hill and trees, the top of Namsan Tower was protruding and the agent explained to him that he had planned to go up there and put a lock with him. Many couples and lovers used to follow this tradition, to show their love would be eternally and, although Kyuhyun wasn't able to say the three magic words to Ryeowook yet, the smaller one knew about Kyuhyun's feelings.

The surprise was deliberate and nice. The two of them went upstairs to the tower, where they placed their lock at one of the several places. After that, they kept staying on the platform, observing how the sun was setting slowly and colored the whole heaven into a deep red.

For Siwon, free time from NACS was still work because every moment he got time for himself and was at home, he poured himself a glass of his favorite wine and sat down in his office. Although he returned to MID, he was still working on his books, preparing for another one. Writing books started as a hobby at first but soon, he saw that it could be more than a hobby and Siwon let it become his second main pillar.

He loved to be an NACS agent, he loved working for the Mannerism Investigation Division and he loved his team members like they were his own family, but when he was working on his books, it was his own opportunity to handle everything they were going through. His books were about criminal's behaviors, their minds and how they were thinking.

As the son of one of the founders of MID, there was almost no other possibility for him then becoming an agent; and, as a child, he liked to become like his father, who was eminently respected by everyone.  Now, Siwon knew that his family background, his social status, his work as an agent and author let him became as respected as his father was, but he also knew that his good looks were part of the reasons why many women were after him. At first, it was fun but soon, he noticed that it wasn't the thing he was missing in his life. The permanent partner, who you could share everything with, was missing, but just like Yunho and everyone else, Siwon lived for his job. When they sign the contract, it was like they weren't only in a new job, but also gave their bodies, their souls and their lives for bringing justice and safety to their country.

Although everyone's life was glimpsed, they won't change their job for another one. Siwon always lived for this job, from his father, to himself, but he couldn't imagine combining his life with a family. He preferred being with himself, enjoying the silence which his house was filled with, in his office for working on his books or in his comfortable armchair with a glass of scotch in his living room, watching some TV or just being with himself. The agent didn't need anything else.

Jonghyun wasn't much in the mood for hanging out with anyone, neither he was interested in seeing his family. He never had a good relationship with his parents, and the young man was sure that this wouldn't change anymore because the situation was stuck in what it was like now for years already. He wasn't much interested in hanging out alone in a bar either, but he had ended up entering a bar.

He was sitting at the counter, a glass of whiskey-soda in his hand, while his glance was lost in the air. It looked like he was staring on the wall, which was decorated with hundreds of bottles, but actually, he was just dreaming. Lost in thoughts about several things, he didn't pay attention to anyone around him. Neither to the group of men, who were celebrating their friend's stag night, nor the other single people sitting all around the room.

The agent's thoughts were wandering around but always got back to something, which was bothering him for a while already. There was something he didn't tell anyone about; none of his team members knew, no friend, not even his family had a clue. He was wondering if he should tell his team sooner or later, but whenever the idea of telling them popped up and increased, Jonghyun quickly shook his head, telling himself it was better to keep it to himself. It's better not to tell anyone, it will be safer for them, Jonghyun always told himself.

He finished his drink with one sip and placed the glass on the counter. He put some money besides it and stood up. With his jacket in his hand, the agent was walking down the street and ambled along the night market. He bought some more groceries before he decided to go home. Yet he didn't have any idea what he wanted to do at home and how to end his day. Maybe he should watch a movie since he was busier with his work and was rarely at home, Jonghyun didn't know what to do with his free time. On his walk, he noticed the commercial wall of a cinema and the idea popped up into his mind. Movie? Yes, but not at home. He should watch one at the cinema, since he didn't even remember the last time he saw a movie. For him, it would be the best ending for this day.

Whenever Chanyeol needed to relax himself, he did some sports. For being an excellent agent, he used to jog every morning before he went to work, except if there was an emergency and they had to appear at NACS quickly. Although he did a lot of sports and also trained regularly at the gym and trained his Judo skills, when he wanted to relax he liked to play some baseball.

Near his apartment was a baseball batting cage, where he put some coins into a machine which was throwing the balls into his direction. He stood at the end of the cage with the baseball bat tightly in his hands, ready to beat the ball back to the machine which stood at the end of the cage. Every time the machine shot a ball to Chanyeol, a hiss was hearable and soon after the noise the metal like sound of the bat smacking, the ball filled the area for a second before the ball highly flew back.

The agent hit the balls for a while, forgetting the time, forgetting the problems, forgetting what happened, forgetting the fact that they had to let go one of Korea's most dangerous murderers. He let out his anger with every time he smacked a ball. Chanyeol was totally concentrated on his game that he didn't notice the groundkeeper who was standing behind him at the cage's door, trying to catch his attention. When the last ball was released and he had let it fly far over the net, the groundkeeper was surprised, but finally it was quiet and Chanyeol could hear him.

The groundkeeper was fascinated by Chanyeol's baseball skills and, although he wanted to watch the young man some more, he had to close the batting cage. The two men talked some more before Chanyeol said goodbye and walked home, where he packed his new bag. He was like all the other agents of his team, all of them always had a bag with them; a bag with clothes for changing when they had to leave quickly for an emergency case. They were always prepared for everything.

 

 

When Chanyeol entered the NACS headquarters, most agents went home already and lots of offices were empty already. At the floor, where the Mannerism Investigation Division had their offices, most lights were turned off already. Chanyeol saw Yunho sitting in his office, the small desk light was slightly lightening up his desk. Siwon's office was dark just like Donghae's. The open offices were rarely lightened up because all agents left already.

Chanyeol walked over to his desk. He placed the newly prepared bag under his desk where it was always ready to be taken by him when they had to go. The agent actually had planned to bring his new bag and go back home again, but he sat down for a while. His look often wandered over to Yunho, who was concentrated on his work and didn't notice anything around him. His chief looked tired and kind of stressed, whenever he looked up, Chanyeol thought that he saw some sadness in his leader's eyes, which was rare. Although Chanyeol had worked with Yunho for years already, he never saw him showing much emotions, especially not when Yunho was sad or down. His chief used to be kind ofcold and emotionless, but his team members knew that he wasn't as cold and emotionless as he acted to be. He was quite caring, thoughtful and protective over his family and team.

The agent nodded to himself and stood up again. He wanted to go home since tomorrow was a new working day and he shouldn't stay up all night long, although it wasn't that late yet. When he turned around to go, he saw Baekhyun, who came out of his office. "Baby boy? What are you still doing here?" Chanyeol asked confused and walked over to the analyst.

"I could ask you the same question, honey bear" the smaller man smiled and locked his office, while Chanyeol was observing him. The agent quickly noticed that the analyst looked kind of different than usual. Normally he was dressed colorful, funky, trendy and really flashy; but this time, he looked more normal, still colorful, but less freaky.

"Are you going anywhere? You look nice today, but different" Chanyeol mentioned when they were walking over to the elevator.

Baekhyun smiled and nodded happily. "Yes, I'm having a date now."

"A date?"

"Yeah, I've got to know him via internet, he asked me out and I will meet him tonight" Baekhyun explained when they stood in the elevator. He smiled shyly, looking slightly down and Chanyeol, who stood next to him gave him a worried glance. As soon as Baekhyun noticed his friend's look, the analyst frowned. "Why this look? Is something wrong?"

Chanyeol shook his head slightly and looked ahead, trying to avoid Baekhyun's glance. "Nothing, just promise me to be careful, okay?"

"You know I am always careful..." Baekhyun said and the taller man nodded, "Yah, what's the problem? Can't I go on a date? Do you think nobody would like me?"

"No I didn't think so, I just want you to be careful. You never saw this man before, you don't know who he is" Chanyeol spoke and frowned. When the elevator reached the ground floor, Baekhyun rushed outside and turned around to Chanyeol once more.

"I can't always be alone. Not everyone is a bad killer. You know me for so many years already and still don't trust me? I deserve to be loved also and I can't always wait for... ah never mind. See you tomorrow Mister Park" Baekhyun talked angrily with a loud voice and walked quickly to the main door.

The agent looked confused after Baekhyun until the elevator door closed again and bought him down to the parking lot. He walked over to his car and drove home. He planned on clearing things with Baekhyun the next day because he never intended to make the other one mad or say something hurtful to him either.

Baekhyun took a taxi from the headquarters to the place where he and his date had appointed to meet. His date was a tall man, sporty, casual dressed and Baekhyun couldn't really believe that this good looking guy asked him out for a date. The two of them entered a restaurant, which the man had chosen. They sat in a small corner so nobody could easily disturb them. It was a western restaurant and Baekhyun didn't know what to choose, so the man chose the meal and wine for him. The analyst enjoyed the evening, especially because his date showed himself as exemplary gentleman, he even wanted to accompany the small man home.

The analyst walked some stairs up, and then he stopped and turned around again to the man, who was standing downstairs and smiled. "Thanks, this was a really nice night" Baekhyun said and when the man stepped closer to him, he thought they would kiss now. But the man just gave him a light peck on Baekhyun's forehead.

"Good night" the man said, turned around and slowly walked away. Baekhyun sighed quietly to himself before he turned back to open his front door. He was about to enter the key into the lock. "Byun Baekhyun" he heard from behind and the agent turned back around. Then a shot and Baekhyun felt something heavy in his chest. The small man fell backwards on the stairs. His breath became quicker and his vision got blurred. When he heard some slow steps getting closer, Baekhyun stopped breathing, trying to act dead. He couldn't see everything clearly anymore; he just heard the breath of the other man near his ear. "I wanted to do this the whole night already..." the man said before he left the scene and Baekhyun gasped for air.

Then everything became dark around him.