Confessions

My Best friend, My Love

 

After Shin Hye and Yong Hwa sang “Endless Love” they stepped down from the stage to join the rest of the students at the dance floor. Yong Hwa assisted Shin Hye down the stairs holding her hand tightly in his. He did not let go of her hand even after they reached the dance floor. The students sighed in envy when they witnessed his sweetness and care for her.

A sweet love song was playing on the background and some couples are swaying to the music.

“May I have this dance, my lovely enchantress?” Yong Hwa asked, still holding her one hand, giving her the other with palm up.

“Of course, my handsome prince.” she replied, smiling sweetly at him, placing her hand on his palm.

Yong Hwa gently placed her left hand on his shoulder while keeping hold of her right hand. Then he gently pulled Shin Hye towards his embrace swaying gracefully to the sound of the music.

“You look beautiful tonight. The most beautiful girl among this crowd.” he complimented her.

“Why, thank you kind sir.” she said, blushing at his compliment. “And you look dashing tonight.”

“We make a very beautiful couple, don’t we? I heard some whisper that we look perfect together.”

Shin Hye just smiled at him, not knowing how to reply to his comment.

“You were great at the stage. You held them in thrall with your voice.”

“You’re too kind to say that. I think it was your presence at the stage that really captivated the audience.” she replied.

“May I cut in?” Geun Suk said, appearing beside them, holding out his hand to Shin Hye.

Shin Hye looked at Yong Hwa for permission. He nodded at Shin Hye then placed her hand on Geun Suk’s, stepping back and walking away.

Geun Suk pulled Shin Hye gently to his embrace, cheek to cheek and inhaling the scent of her hair. He closed his eyes savoring the moment with her, saying nothing for a few minutes. They swayed in unison with the music, getting lost in the moment together.

“You look lovely tonight, Shin Hye.” he whispered to her ear. “I’ve never seen a lovelier sight before.”

“Thank you.” she whispered back, feeling awkward with him now that she knows he’s aware of her feelings for him.

“We need to talk, Shin Hye, but not here. It’s too crowded and there are plenty of ears trying to listen in our conversation.”

“We have nothing to talk about, Geun Suk.”

“Yes, we have. There are plenty of unresolved issues between us. Things I was unaware before that you kept hidden from me. Truth that I just found out, or rather, admitted to myself. There are a lot of things I want to tell you. Please, Shin Hye, let’s go find a secluded spot where we can talk privately.” he pleaded.

“Alright, let’s go and talk if that’s what you want.” she finally conceded.

“Come on, I know just the right place where we can talk uninterrupted.” he said, pulling her towards the exit.

“Geun Suk brought Shin Hye to the gazebo behind the Music and Arts Department building. The place was filled with beautiful blooming flowers. The path is made of cobblestones with yellow tulips lining both sides. A small lamp post a few distances from the gazebo is the only light that illuminated the area. The night air is cold with few stars brightening the sky.

Geun Suk held Shin Hye’s hand the whole time, not wanting to let go. His heart beat fast and furious, a sweet tingling sensation running through his body. He felt complete having her by his side.

He pulled her gently facing him. He stared at her eyes, saying nothing for a few minutes, love shining brightly in his eyes.

“Shin Hye, I thought we had no secrets between us?” he asked, holding her face between his palms, gazing tenderly at her. “Why didn’t you tell me how you felt? Were you afraid that I will reject you? Did I ever make you feel unimportant? Was I cruel to you? You should have slapped me in the face every time I mentioned Uee or any other woman.”

“How can you expect me to tell you how I felt? I was not raised to be aggressive with my feelings, especially with men. I do not chase men and it’s not my habit to tell them how I feel. You may call me old-fashioned, timid or a coward, but that’s who I am. You knew that, Geun Suk.”

“Yes, I know Shin Hye and I’m sorry.” he said, looking contrite. “I just wish everything was different from the start. Maybe if I was aware of your feelings…”

“I may not have given you the words, Geun Suk,” Shin Hye interrupted him, tears streaming down her face, “but I showed you in every way I can that I cared for you. I did everything you asked of me even if it was the most ridiculous and unreasonable request. I went the extra mile just to please you. I stayed up late at your house every time you were down or depressed. I celebrated every triumph with you and cried with you at your failures. I was always there giving you my love. Every time you went on a date, I cried myself to sleep. But knowing that you were not serious with them gave me hope that someday you will notice me, that you will see me as a woman and not just a friend.”

“I do, I do see you as a woman Shin Hye. And I want us to be more than friends.” Geun Suk declared.

“Stop! Please stop!” she cried out. “Don’t play with my emotions, Geun Suk. And please stop lying to me!”

“I’m not lying to you, Shin Hye! I love you, I do. And I want us to be together. I want us to start over.”

“Liar! You don’t love me! You’re in love with Uee. She’s the reason why you asked me to go on a date with Yong Hwa, remember?”

“Yes, I know. I’m a fool for asking you to do that. You don’t know how much I regret asking you that favor, how tortured I was, watching you flirt with him. Every time he touched you I wanted to rip off his arm. I was already in love with you. I was just too stupid to admit it to myself.”

“I don’t believe you! I know that you’re already with Uee!” she cried out.

“No, that’s not true! Uee and I are not together. We’re not dating. Not after that night we went on a double date.”

“Why do you keep lying to me? I saw you kiss her that night, Geun Suk.” she sobbed. “You kissed her twice. Twice, Geun Suk! Not once but twice! And now, you’re here with her as her date. How can you still deny that you’re together?”

“That kiss… Let me explain. It’s not what you think it is…” he started to explain, but she cut him off.

“I don’t want to listen anymore. Whether you’re with Uee or not, does not matter anymore. Yes, I’ve admitted my love for you in that song, but I also said my goodbyes to you.” she whispered softly, turning away from him.

“No, I won’t accept that. I know you still love me.”

“What I feel doesn’t matter anymore. Ever since that night you asked me to go on a date with Yong Hwa so you can date Uee, you broke my heart. I finally admitted to myself that you will never love me, not the way I love you. That night, I decided to let go of that love.”

“No, don’t say that Shin Hye. I’m sorry it took me so long to realize my love for you. I’ll make it up to you, I promise. We can still be together.” Geun Suk begged her, turning her to face him again.

“I’m sorry, Geun Suk. But it’s too late for us. I’m not trying to be spiteful or getting back at you. It’s just that… I’m already with Yong Hwa. We’re dating.” she said sadly, regret clear in her eyes.

“No, you can’t be with him. You don’t love him. It’s me you love, not him. You can’t stay with him out of pity, that will be more cruel.”

Seeing that he was not swaying her with his words, he roughly pulled her to his embrace, kissing her fiercely on the mouth. He poured all the love and passion he has for her in the kiss. She struggled at first, trying to pull her head back but he grabbed her head forcing her back to his kiss. After a few seconds, Shin Hye finally relaxed and responded to his kiss.

Geun Suk felt his heart thud painfully fast, delightful tingling sensation running all over his body as sparks flew between them. He felt totally alive!

So, this is how it feels to kiss the girl you truly love’ Geun Suk thought, eyes closed, still lost in the sensation of having Shin Hye in his embrace.

Geun Suk lifted his head, breaking the kiss. He stared intently at her, both of them breathing hard, hearts erratic, both shocked at the intensity of their kiss.

“Now, tell me you don’t love me, Shin Hye. Try denying your feelings if you can.” Geun Suk said, still out of breath.

“This is a mistake, Geun Suk. I can’t. I have to go.” she cried in confusion, turning away from him, running back to the ball.

Before she could take a dozen steps away from him, Geun Suk grabbed her from behind, stopping her in her tracks. He wrapped his arms tightly across her chest from behind. His mouth breathed down her ear and neck.

“No, I won’t let you go. I’ll never let you go, Shin Hye. No matter how much you’ll protest, I’ll hold on to you. I’ve been a fool before, ignoring your love and hurting you in the process, but I won’t be a fool anymore. I’ll show you every day that I’m sincere with my feelings for you. I love you so much, Shin Hye.” he declared, kissing her neck and ear.

Shin Hye shivered at the intensity of his words before breaking from his embrace and running away.

“I’ll fight for your love, Shin Hye! I’ll fight for our love! I won’t give up easily! I’ll make you love me again! You belong to me!” he shouted after her, determination clear in his voice.