Heartbreak

My Best friend, My Love

 

            “I want to ask you something.” Geun Suk said to Shin Hye.

            “What is it?” Shin Hye asked as she looked at Geun Suk.

            They were sitting on a bench at Shin Hye’s backyard garden. It’s a Saturday afternoon and they just finished running errands for their parents.

            “Well….” he hesitated.

            “Come on. Spill it out.”

            “Well… You know how much I like Uee. I was attracted to her the first time I saw her when she transferred here from the States. I – ”

            “You don’t have to tell me every detail about the first time you saw her and how you fell for her. Believe me, I know every single detail about it! You’ve told me about it a million times already!” she cut in. “Just cut the chase and go straight to the point!”

            “Okay okay! You don’t have to snap my head off!” he held his arms up in exasperation.

            She stared at him waiting for him to continue. But Geun Suk remained silent sitting on the bench.

            “What is it that you wanted to ask me?”

            “You know what? I think I’ll just go. I don’t really feel like talking anymore.” he said in irritation.

            He stood up and started to walk away. Shin Hye grabbed his hand and pulled him back.

            “I’m sorry for snapping at you. I don’t know what came over me. I’ll behave, I promise. Please sit down and tell me what you wanted to say.” she said apologetically.

            “You won’t snap at me and interrupt while I’m talking?” he asked doubtfully.

            ”Yes, I promise.” she raised her right hand as a sign of her promise.

            “Alright…. I believe you.”

            “So…. What is it that you wanted to ask me?”

            “I wanted to know what you think if I’ll ask Uee out on a date. You know that I’ve always liked her but I did not really act on my feelings. It has been our secret. I think it’s time to make a move to make her notice me. We are already seniors and will graduate soon. I don’t want to look back with regrets because I did not tell her how I feel…..”

            Geun Suk was still talking but Shin Hye was no longer listening. She felt as if a thousand knives were stabbing her heart and ripping it apart. She felt her chest tighten and a ball clogged . She wanted to break down and cry right there. But she stopped and composed herself. She can’t let Geun Suk see the hurt and the pain his words caused her. She had to be strong.

            Shin Hye has always secretly loved Geun Suk. They grew up as playmates and treated each other as siblings. She did not know exactly when she fell in love with him. She just found herself slowly noticing him as a man. Every time Geun Suk touched her hand, smiled at her or gave her a hug she felt her heart palpitate rapidly. And every time a girl flirted with him, she felt like pulling the girl’s hair out. But she hid her feelings from him. She did not want him to know that she’s in love with him. She did not want to ruin their friendship. She did not want him to find out and feel uncomfortable with her. Or worse, he might pity her.

            “So…. What do you think?” Geun Suk asked.

            “Huh?” Shin Hye looked at him blankly.

            “Do you think it’s a good idea if I ask Uee out on a date?”

            She plastered a smile on her face and took a deep breath.

“Yes, I think you should ask her out. You cannot pass this chance to find happiness. You never know, she might actually like you and was just waiting for you to make the first move.” she answered with a heavy heart.

            But deep in her heart she’s screaming ‘No don’t do that Geun Suk! I’m the one who really loves you! Don’t break my heart into million pieces. Don’t destroy my dream of being with you!

            “Really? Do you really think that she might like me too? I’m so glad to have your approval. I was afraid that you will tell me that I was being foolish. I know that you don’t like her. That you think she’s a snob. But I think it’s just a façade. How can such a beautiful face be a wicked person inside? That’s impossible!” he gushed.

            “Thank you Thank you! Well, I have to go. I need to think what I’ll say when I ask her out and how and when. Wish me luck! You’re the very best friend a person could ever have! Bye!”

            When Geun Suk was gone, Shin Hye allowed her tears to run down her face. The tears she held back and hid from Geun Suk. Then she ran inside the house to her room. There in the sanctuary of her room she allowed herself to weep and wallow in sorrow.