First Day

My Best friend, My Love

 

            It’s the first day of school. The sun is up and the birds are busily chirping outside the window of Park Shin Hye’s bedroom. She ran around the room gathering her things for school while hastily combing her hair.

            “Yikes! The first day of school and I’m already late. This is a bad omen. I wonder what this school year will be like for me.”

            Just as she started to run down the stairs, she heard a car horn honking noisily outside her house.

            “Mom! I’m going to school! Bye!” she called out to her mother.

            “But what about your breakfast? You did not even eat a single bite.” her mom called back.

            “I’ll just eat at the school cafeteria. I don’t have time to eat anymore. I’m already late. See you later! Love you!”

            When she opened the door, she saw her long time friend and neighbor Jang Geun Suk standing by his car impatiently tapping his foot while he had his arms crossed.

            “Hey! You’re late. Do you want to jinx our whole school year with your tardiness?” Geun Suk asked.

            “Sorry. I slept late last night that’s why I wasn’t able to wake up early. I also forgot to set up my alarm.” she said in apology.

            “Yeah yeah! Just don’t be late again tomorrow, ok?”

            “I promise I won’t be late tomorrow or the next day and for the rest of the school days.” she said with a smile.

            “I’ll hold you to that.” he smiled back.

            Geun Suk and Shin Hye are friends since they were toddlers. They lived next door with each other and grew up together. They played together, went to the same school together, did errands for their parents together and went to vacation together. They even have the same group of friends. But they consider each other as best friends. They shared their secrets, dreams and problems with each other.

            Every morning during school days, Geun Suk always stop by Shin Hye’s house to give her a ride to school. Never was there a day that they went to school without the other. Except when one of them was sick. Today is no exception to that routine.

            After a few minutes, they reached the school. Geun Suk pulled over on an empty parking slot. They walked together towards the main building of the campus to look for their assigned classrooms. As they were about to enter the building, they heard a commotion on the front lawn. They looked back to see what caused the excitement among the students.

            “Ooohhh… She’s very pretty. She’s so lucky to be blessed with good looks, y body and rich parents.” one of the students cried out.

            “And she always dresses up fashionably. I envy her beautiful clothes and nice car.” replied another student.

            A few yards away they saw a beautiful red sports car parked on the nearest parking space. A young woman in a y mini skirt with a matching tight fitting blouse is gracefully walking towards them.

            ‘The school queen arrives and the whole campus bows down to Her Majesty.’ Shin Hye thought to herself.

            ‘She’s very beautiful. I wish she will spare me even just one glance.’ Geun Suk silently sighed to himself.

            The young woman is Uee. She is the campus’ beauty queen. The secret fantasy of every male student in the campus and the envy of all the female students. Every guy wanted to date her and every girl imitated her.

            “Isn’t she pretty?” Geun Suk dreamily said to Shin Hye as they watched her wave to some students who greeted her.

            Shin Hye turned to look at Geun Suk and saw him watching Uee with a goofy expression on his face.

            “Yeah, she’s very pretty.” she answered despondently looking down at the floor.

            “If only she will go on a date with me then I’ll be the happiest man on earth.” he sighed.

            ‘And I’ll be the saddest girl on earth.’ she thought, ‘If only you’ll look at me and see me as a girl and not just one of your buddies. Uee is very lucky to have your love.

            She turned back and entered the building leaving Geun Suk behind.

            “Hey wait up!” Geun Suk called.

            “Are you done adoring Uee and giving her that silly lovestruck look on your face?” she snapped at him.

            “What’s wrong with you? Why are you angry at me?” he asked.

            “You are so dense sometimes, do you know that?” she muttered.

            But Geun Suk just gave her a blank, confused look.

            “Forget it! I’m going to class.” she waved her arm dismissively.

            ‘What’s wrong with her?’ he wondered. ‘She’s been acting weird this past couple of months.

            He shrugged his shoulder and went to class.