Nightmare

Taemin in Wonderland: Off with His Head

“Minnie.”

I almost sobbed into my pillow. The voice was back. Why couldn’t he go away? Just leave me alone. “Minnie, come ON!” I swung my legs out of my bed, no covers.  I was too hot, even in December. I couldn’t walk right, stumbling into my wooden doorframe, weaving down the stairs into the front hall, leaning against the wall for support the whole way. It’d been a while since I slept right. The reflection of the glowing ashes from last night’s fire shimmered off the hall mirror in its tarnished gold frame. Why hadn’t it gone out yet?

The pendulum of our old grandfather clock swung in its wood-and-glass cell.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

TICK.

“Minnie, play with me!” the voice pouted. I couldn’t see it in the darkness of our hallway. I padded down the wood flooring, silent as a kitten. “Minnie, you promised not to leave me alone. Play with me, please?” No, go away. You died, and I don’t want to hear your voice anymore. Stop following me, Key.

The air changed, like the voice had heard me thinking, and it was pouting. “Minnie, I miss you. Can’t you come see me again? Just one more time? And I promise I’ll never ask for anything again.” Key. Key, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. I can’t come to where you are, you’re gone. I’m sorry, just please stop doing this to me, making me feel this way. Key, just stop!

“MINNIE!”

I woke up in the hallway, half-way to Key’s old room. My nails were buried in my arm, clawing at someone who wasn’t there anymore, tearing up skin. I was shivering, my shoulders shaking hard. My sleeping shirt was drenched in cold sweat, freezing me in the hallway. My bare feet stung. I hated waking up like this. It was still dark, but I felt that intangible anticipation that the world seems to hold just before dawn.

Uncurling myself, stretching from the stiffness, I glided down the hallway back to my room, no more than a phantom. I was sure I looked like one, my milky skin and white sleep shirt a brand against the darkness. My red mushroom cut was a brand any other time. I slipped into my room, shutting the door without bothering to be quiet. There was no one here but me.

 Yep, I was right, I thought, checking my phone. 4:37 AM. No point in going back to sleep, and I didn’t really want to, so I decided that a shower was in order. I had my own bathroom attached to my room, eliminating the need to leave my room again until I got hungry or had to leave for school. God, my life had changed. I went from Skinnytwerp!Taemin in high school to Mentallyunstable!Taemin as a college freshman.

It was true what people said, college was at once better and worse. I loved having all the free time I did, but I should have been spending it studying. Tests I’d have found easy in high school were suddenly getting harder. But as long as I was pulling the Gentleman’s C, I was ok. I just didn’t care enough anymore.

I stepped into the bathroom, turning on the shower and letting it run until steam fogged up the bathroom, covering the mirror and turning the tiles and floor slick. I slipped out of my clothes, staring into my blurry reflection for a few seconds before dipping into the shower, letting the hot water scald away cold sweat and old voices. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Whelp, first chapter up. I update sporadically, just to warn you. This will be somewhat romance, as well as a bit of a ghost story. Hope you enjoy.

tumblr_lg3dfcG7eZ1qfr1ivo1_500.gif