The Home Is This Way

House Number 144

 

Chanyeol is always be Kyungsoo's home.

words: 2,2k+


Chapter 6 : The Home Is This Way

 

They arrive at Ilsan around five; his brother hovering over the front door with both hands tucked deep in pockets, but not saying a single word.

None of them really bothers to start a simple conversation. Sometimes words aren't just needed. The way he sees it, Kyungsoo knows that his brother is aware of everything---maybe he has even foreseen it before, the moment he decided to bring back Kim Junmyeon in front of Kyungsoo's family. Chanyeol hates that guy. It's no exclusive secret. It doesn't require a certain formula to know. Red and alight, his husband's eyes whenever he catchs on even the tiny chunk that is Kim Junmyeon's name. Blazing. And full of hatred.

His brother, Kyungsoo has discovered; he has been glaring at that taller figure too much. Parts in him wishes he was brave enough to go against Seungsoo in his younger days; after a while you'll get tired of being controlled. One day you will make a rebellion out of it. And here Kyungsoo is---he waits for the anger that's building up in his chest to burst out, waits for another minute and another tug of breath, but all he finds is the infrequent noise from his own sobs.

He can't do it.

And all at once he starts to hate himself. Just how it always goes---just like the old time.

"I'm sleeping over only for tonight."

It isn't supposed to leave his mouth, sneaking through the smallest gaps of his teeth, pulsated by the inner line of his doubt.

He feels like . He thinks he perhaps already turns into one. He can see the housemaids peeking at him from behind the closest wall, look of pity in their faces. Like the old time. It's going back to the particular memory of his childhood again. "Mom and Father," Seungsoo finally whispers after a long moment, "they are not back home yet."

"Overseas business?" his voice is but a tired murmur.

There is a faint nod.

"Some things never change in this house," Kyungsoo ends the dialogue, taking Sehun (who's currently asleep) to his old room.

Indeed some things remain the same in this place.

Those who don't know better won't notice any difference; in this case Kyungsoo falls into this category as well. The wall is still painted blue; the cars are still lining in the garage, still seven in total too. His parents are still far, and distant, and away.

And his home still belongs to Chanyeol. All the whole portion.

 

****

 

It takes only one hour of him watching over the sleeping Sehun until a knock on his door is heard.

Chanyeol is here, he knows that. The housemaid doesn't have to spoil anything, and Kyungsoo doesn't have to answer with anything, either.

It's not the first time they are having a big fight. It's a rare sight (approximately thrice or four times in the ouright of their 7 years relationships---1 year of dating, 6 years of marriage), but they definitely have undergone that phase. The last was when Sehun turned two, and he didn't want to remember anything, the picture of Yura-noona almost slapping Chanyeol---his own brother---in front of his eyes at the moment is still al in Kyungsoo's remembrance. In the end he had to barge in, we both are just this stupid couple, and kissed his husband like his tomorrow depended on it. Chanyeol didn't let go of him for the following weeks.

It is, however, the first time that Kyungsoo is so fed up, and chooses to setlle this issue by going back to his parents' house.

So he, too, is confused of what to do. Shall he just forgive his husband?

No. Kyungsoo wants him to learn---they have been going through the last 7 years together (10, if you count the 3 years of Chanyeol chasing after him earlier); Kyungsoo knows his feelings, he knows what he is doing. The whole thing would not be shaken just like that by a mere sight of Kim Junmyeon. He is without disregard for all things in his lives, that to be said, including his heart. His heart, that is not even the only part of him that has Chanyeol's name printed on it. Like how he effortlessly hummed to it in one lazy Sunday morning, the lamps turned fluorescent, as he prepared the change for both his son and his husband. Two thin-layered polos and two baggy shorts, because those two sweat a lot. Always. And then it was only few minutes away before the daylight breeze hug him, when he noticed how Chanyeol's lips were already on his, and they move, in a crowning harmony. Biting and and . Pecking and smacking and back to . And they were happy.

 

****

 

"I'm sorry."

The bed sinks when Chanyeol lies besides him.

It's quite a funny position, considering Sehun is snoring in the middle. Still it doesn't stop his husband from caressing his cheeks. The touch, careful and trembling. When did you even walk in? Kyungsoo wants to ask. He sustains that, out of pride---or perhaps out of astonishment, as well. Chanyeol looks handsome, even in his messy (and sweaty) hair, even with his red eyes that aren't dried from tears and his nose is somewhat enhanced with dried mucus, but he was breath-taking. Like a crestfallen painting he passed by the teacher's room in his high school; like a kind of bluish memory, a fuse between sadness and contentment at once.

Kyungsoo wants to kiss him. He needs to. He can't, though. Not just because Sehun is basically ing them at the moment---something is holding him back. Something in his inner part. "I dislike Kim Junmyeon," he hears Chanyeol confesses next. "I know it makes me a bad person by some standards but I can't help it. I dislike him. He almost owned you. You were almost his, too."

"I have no feelings left for him," Kyungsoo replies, joining him.

"I know. I know."

I just can't help it. The rest is mumbled under his husband's breath but Kyungsoo catches that.

He glances over at the clock on the bedside nightstand. Almost seven. Less than half an hour before dinner. Chanyeol's eyes follow his, for an intance only before they are back on his parted lips again. What happens after that is something he has been wishing for, in fact. Kyungsoo feels a rush of blood, feeling that Chanyeol may kiss him soon; so he waits, eyes closed.

It never happens. "Sehun is here," Chanyeol pecks him on the forehead. Just at first.

Since he seems to be changing his mind in the midst, and it has been a unusally long (but secret) kiss they have first done after the recent cold war, making sure Sehun is still sleeping beforehand. That is one untamed touch. Kyungsoo is met by Chanyeol's fingers on the back of his neck, patting the skin there. Within his husband's fragrance (which gradually fading out), is the scent of rain forest and baby powder, all tunes up all over him, and Kyungsoo breathes them in, the way he always breathes Chanyeol after all this time.

"I almost lost you both."

Kyungsoo scoffs.

"That's your fault for meeting Nana."

There's a subtle laugh. "Why? I thought you said you are not jealous---"

"Doesn't change the fact that I don't like her," they both let go of each other, smiling together to find that Sehun is still asleep between them. "And doesn't change the fact that you suddenly went seeing her... did you ever think of going back to Nana?"

"What? No, Soo, that isn't happening. Not a chance."

The doubt remains unmoved. He sighs.

So Chanyeol continues. "We were long over before I met you."

"I know about it. But why---seeing her? Suddenly, after... 8 years?" because it makes Kyungsoo feels threatened. He tries to keep his voice low as he adds, "Had I and Sehun not come with you today, would you go home with her and, maybe, get back together and---"

"I told you that isn't happening, silly. Don't cry, okay?"

Who is exactly crying? Oh. Kyungsoo gulps back the tears, realizing what's been happening. I hate you, he reveals amid hiccups; he can see Chanyeol weeping it all away, the salty taste of tears and the hiccups and the stubborn distrust. Here there is too much butterflies in his stomach and not enough empty space fo them to float around. Kyungsoo clutches at his husband, Chanyeol who looks even bigger with his back facing the window, fingertips pinching Kyungsoo's nosebridge playfully. The moon shines too behind him, and he baths in its light---like a midnight fairy.

"Take me home," it has been said aloud, at one point.

Chanyeol remains as breath-taking as ever when Kyungsoo finds back his guts to stare at him. "Sure. The road is this way."

 

****

 

Bidding goodbye to Seungsoo is a bit awkward.

"You two can stay here for tonight," and it's actually rare, too, to some extent---seeing Kyungsoo's brother tries to make a deal with Chanyeol as well. Any other day, he would have left him out and convince only his precious little brother and Sehun. He must be feeling bad. That's what Kyungsoo guesses, and it's probably what's exactly happening now. Seungsoo, who never really showed a nice behaviour to Chanyeol before, is probably being pretty kind because he's feeling somewhat responsible.

His phone is showing a quarter of an hour past seven. Sehun is half awake and half dozing, secured in Kyungsoo's embrace at the same time Chanyeol is starting the car engine.

"At least stay for dinner," Seungsoo says again from the half-ajar car window.

"Next time," Kyungsoo flashes a smile. "We'll be spending weekend here like usual. Good night, hyung."

Good night. And off they drive away. Glancing back at the road to his family's house, Kyungsoo wonders; how many times have his brother been in this situation? Being the one to witness his precious little brother being taken away from the place they grew in together. Sometimes he feels sad thinking about this likeness. No one is exactly at fault, though. It's just, time does fly and progress. Now, Kyungsoo is 29, and owns a new life---a new place to be called as home, a loving husband, and an adorable son. Seungsoo is 32, but his heart stops at one corner. It should not be living in the past forever.

"You should marry soon." Kyungsoo ever told him.

"I don't need any of that thing now," Seungsoo has answered.

Maybe, maybe that's why he still can't understand why, everytime Kyungsoo would appear in front of their family's house with both Sehun and Chanyeol, showing his greatest laugh ever. "Why it can't be Kim Junmyeon, to you?"

"You know? Money can't buy everything, brother."

Maybe, maybe that's why, too, he still has not found his home.

 

****

 

The next morning, Sehun eats his breakfast happily on Chanyeol's lap. "So Papa did fetch us last night?"

"Uh-hm," Chanyeol breathes in the scent of strawberry shampoo that's still lingering on their son's hair. "But Sehunnie slept the whole time. He slept and slept and even skipped dinner."

"That's not cool!"

"Indeed! But Papa brought Sehunnie his favorite fried chicken still. So, where is the kiss for this good guy?"

The sound of laughter is ringing throughout the livingroom. Kyungsoo goes to check on his son and his husband only to find them tickling each other---Chanyeol who is much much much bigger than Sehun (he's bigger than most of people, actually) wins like nothing, as expected. The young boy doesn't give up, though, placing the plate of his pancake on the side, he climbs on his Papa's stomach and attacks him there.

They are only a few minutes away from nine. Finally after more strings of laughter, Chanyeol fully catches Sehun in his embrace and awards him with so, so many kisses on his red, tomato cheeks.

"Alright, you two," Kyungsoo barges in, "the time is running out. We are still going to the zoo today, aren't we?"

"Of course we are still going to the zoo, Dad," Sehun replies, jumping between Chanyeol's hold. "Good morning," and he giggles loudly as his Dad joins in for the kiss-attack. "Stop that! My cheeks are wet!"

"Then Sehunnie has to finish his breakfast first, then we are set to go... How is that?"

"But Dad," their son whines, "may I have more syrup on my pancake?"

Kyungsoo crosses his arms. Not liking the idea.

Sehun has a sweet tooth; there had been so many occasions where they had to take him to dentist for tooh pain before. Chanyeol usually caters to what Sehun wants, but Kyungsoo is more of a strict parent (albeit he has to admit it hurts him inside, too, to reject their son's will at some occurrence). "What did we say about don't eat too much sweets, Hunnie?"

"Aw baby," Chanyeol cooes as Sehun starts to pout his lips. "Come here, have more syrup on your pancake. Don't listen to your Dad, I will deal with him later," Kyungsoo can sense the goosebump all over his skin as Chanyeol drop his voice by some intensity and murmurs, "yeah, I will deal with him later... On bed."

"Park Chanyeol! Don't you dare saying such things in front of Sehun!"

****

 

It's good to be back home.

 

****

 


tbc~