The (Annoying) Cold War

House Number 144

Sehun doesn't like the cold war between Papa and Dad.

words : 1,9k+


Chapter 5 : The (Annoying) Cold War

Lately, there is something wrong with Papa.

He doesn't tell this to Dad just yet---it's too difficult. And anyway, he has this feeling that Dad already finds out, but he chooses to keep it to himself and remain silent---and that is Dad for you, everyone.

There is definitely something wrong with Papa. To pretend to be calm is a bit troublesome; the regular Papa---that Sehun is familiar with---, is sparkling, smile as vivid as daylight sun. The regular Papa would've been so jumpy and elated, now that Dad is back home and they don't have to sleep at that particular room---the certain, far away hospital Dad was locked in. The regular Papa would've kissed Sehun's cheeks and then Dad's lips and rubbed their kitten's furs, greeting the orchid pots good afternoon, but this Papa who is presently seating in front of him is 180 degree different.

"You want more rice, Chanyeol?" Dad breaks the stinging silence, at last after none of them bothers to speak any word throughout the late breakfast.

Yet Papa just blinks at Dad indefferently. "No, I'm fine," and answers only when Dad has put his hands down.

"Give Sehun more, Dad," so Sehun has to say it, just to lighten the scene; because the look on his Dad's face is so pitiful and Sehun doesn't understand why Papa has to be so mean. "Sehun misses your cooking a lot."

Later when they finishes the meal, Papa quickly flees to God-knows-where. His guess is, Papa goes hiding himself in the bathroom, or his workroom, while Dad is busy cleaning the dishes (the regular Papa usually stays with him, squeezing Dad from behind and each time he would get snapped by the smaller of the two, and each time too, Sehun would favor this sight with a loud chuckle). Yeah, today he just rushes out and disappears like that. Oh, but he actually gets in to kiss Sehun's cheeks before that, only because Dad isn't looking. It's just a chaste peck, not akin to his frequent wet kisses, and it's followed with a long, sad hug---Sehun doesn't know why he has to name it a "sad hug", maybe because Papa whispers sorry in his ears, and he feels his heart stings from this particular, unknown reason.

****

Sehun doesn't remember how long Papa was missing but by the time he shows up again, it's nearing one hour before noon. "I'll be going out for a while," he says, hair gels back and clothes clean neat.

And then, Sehun isn't sure why, but Dad is back with that pitiful look for the umpteenth time. It's like all of sudden his energy is drained out; which leaves him to be this powerless, or is it miserable the more perfect word---whatever the correct fill is, Sehun knows for sure, that this is clearly not a kind of situation they ever wanted.

"But it's Saturday," Dad stares at him as though Papa has executed something crazy, something downright unforgivable. "Who are you meeting, anyway?"

"Some old friends? Come on, this is nothing serious."

"So why don't you just spill the names, then?"

They act like they might scratch each other in a time to come. "You are becoming so annoying, Soo."

"Oh, so now it's suddenly me?"

Everything is not at their right places and Sehun hates it so much.

The air in the room feels unusually strange. Sehun who thinks it's best for him to play dumb keeps his eyes fixated on the television, in which Tayo the Little Bus is currently playing on the screen. Still he can feel the ceilings darkening. Behind him, across the daybed, Dad and Papa are still talking, now in a super low volume. Sehun bites his lips; this isn't like the other time his parents were having a discord. He feels heartbroken, feels for a moment this all is a dream and it started all the way back to the day Dad caught the fever.

"Sehunnie, we are going out with Papa," Dad announces, suddenly pulling him up, and carrying him out from the livingroom.

Sehun thinks he somehow captures a view of Papa punching the wall, the last second before Dad turns around and closes the door---and perhaps the sound of a really, really soft sobs, both at the very, exact, same moment.

****

Maybe to come along with Papa is a bad idea after all.

There are five more people on that table besides him---two of them are Dad and Papa, and the other three.... he actually couldn't tell... Sehun believes he never even met them beforehand.

One is a tall ahjussi, he assumes around Papa's age, dressed in white Balinese shirt, which is funny because Dad makes Sehun wears the exact same thing, except Sehun's is baby green and much thicker, the gift Baehyun-uncle brought for him when he visited Indonesia last year. He introduces himself to Sehun as Kris, but the other ahjussi who sits on Dad's opposite cuts him off, and tells Sehun that Kris isn't really his name. "You can call him Wu Fan. Or, Yi Fan. Or just mix it and you'll get Wu Yi Fan. Kris is only his fake nickname."

"---When he flirts around girls."

This is no funny joke, but he finds his Papa laughing at this eccentric uncle's words. 

So Sehun laughs with him, although he doesn't understand what's so special about it. Frankly speaking, this man scares him to some extent. If the Kris ahjussi is tall, then this one uncle is almost at his height too, only his skin is a few shade darker and around his ears he puts on multiple piercings. Like those bad boys auntie Yura draws on her paper. And there is something about his eyes---his eyes are so feline-like. Slanting upwards, and are adorned with visible eye-bags. Generally speaking, he's sort of resembling a blossoming jaguar---Sehun can smell his deodorant. He jerks a bit when this ahjussi leans in, offering him a handshake, and whispering playfully (or rather, awkwardly), "My name is Tao," and he doesn't just respond to that; orbs glancing up at his Dad who looks not much better than himself, shoulders tensed and fingers wrapped thight on the side of Sehun's right arm (he's placed in the middle---Dad, and him, and then Papa).

But as if hearing his prayer, their foods arrive just in time Sehun's about to return the greeting. (Here, he fights the urge to exhale a relieved breathing.)

Dad releases the grip on him, albeit reluctantly, and gets up and helps the waiter with their orders. All the while doesn't attempt to take a glimpse on Papa. "Kyungsoo doesn't change a bit," now it's the turn for the one and only Lady amongst them to speak.

This time, however, Sehun notices the way Dad's expression sinks down. That certain Lady then continues. "You are still so neat and tidy, just the way Chanyeol liked you back then."

"It's nothing," Dad replies, now sitting down, for all their foods have been done arranged, "Nana-ssi."

At one point, Sehun concludes (although he doesn't understand a thing from their conversation), this certain Lady seems to be taken aback.

----And thereupon, everything seems to have gone to silence.

Even those two uncles---they can't help but to shut their mouthes; they don't appear at all like what Sehun has pictured in his short-term imagination.

There's a mere clinks and clashes of spoons meeting the ceramic plates. And the clinging chopsticks, one way or another. Sehun gives his Dad a small squeezes, though he is doubtless whether or not it helps him with anything. "Let's dig in," Papa declares out of the blue. Finally steps in. He sets some pieces of green onion pancake on Sehun's bowl, then adds, "Jeon is the best to eat while it's still hot."

That Lady doesn't listen to him, though.

"It's been over... what? Seven years? No... Eight years already," she says, ignoring Papa's faint attempt to call this Lady's name and slightly warn her (or so Sehun considers), "and you still call me with that honorific, Kyungsoo."

"I'm just more comfortable that why," comes the swift reply.

"Why so? It's not because I used to date Chanyeol before he suddenly went crazy for you, is it?"

Nana, cut the crap, the cat-eyed ahjussi hisses. It's nothing serious though, she spats.

Sehun frowns---what's with this situation, it's clear that his Dad is hurting by this Lady's words; why isn't Papa saying anything?

Oh, his Papa has been so weird since they met uncle Seungsoo and this one nameless guy at the hospital three days ago, he has forgotten that. But it actually takes a second for Sehun to realize that his Papa is keeping a pair of concerned gaze aimed for his Dad, and by the look of it, he is about to speak aloud----but it's too late.

"Sehunnie, eat your food, baby. I will be back in a minute," and while saying that, Dad is smiling at him, but the corners of his eyes are muggy. Like damed water---that become even more drenched as he takes off a handful of tissue papers from the table (too mighty that it turns wrinkly) and excuses himself to the restroom, and doesn't come out until Papa picks him up---ten minutes afterwards.

----Cheeks salted of his own teardrops.

****

He still doesn't understand what on earth is happening.

One moment, Dad was picking Sehun up from his chair. "I'm taking Sehun with me," he later muttered this to Papa, not even three minutes after they reached back their table, "you still can continue your day out. See you later."

He still doesn't understand what on earth is happening to him---to his Dad, to his Papa. Soon they were out of the place, and Papa trailed behind him (everyone was looking at them, every passer by), just about five steps differences. A taxi was awaiting right in front of his vision---Sehun doesn't know how Dad had silently called out a cab to fetch them at this restaurant---and he, too, at the same time, doesn't know how many times has Papa tapped his palm at the car window.

"Kyungsoo---," he faintly hears Papa's voice, calling for Dad's name. "Soo, don't be like this---" 

Yet Dad doesn't seem to care anymore. "To this address, please," he holds out a piece of paper to the taxi driver.

"Are you sure we're going to Ilsan, Sir?"

"Just follow the address, I will pay the charge; don't worry."

Then just like that, the cab is moving, the road is shooting up, and Papa's figure slowly turns more and more fuzzy until it becomes nothing but a small dot, shouting after them from afar.

****

"Will we not meet Papa after this, Dad?" Sehun remembers crying under the roof that is his Dad's embrace, the ensuing half an hour. "Will we not meet Papa anymore? I don't like it... I want to be with both you and Papa."

"No... of course we'll meet him again, Hunnie."

"And we'll be back again to our house?"

"Of course. You, me, and Papa... But Papa has to learn his lesson first."

"I see... Has Papa been a meanie?"

There's a minor titter. "Yeah, a very big one," then a soft mumble comes in second, "but Dad loves him."

"Oh! Sehun do love him too!"

And still he doesn't understand what on earth is happening---but he thinks, he can hold onto what his Dad has been saying.

****


tbc~