Chapter 25 -Welcome to Playland

You and Me : The life of an Executive

It took a while for the both of them to get past the initial shock. But in Won's mind, maybe the shock was better than the awkwardness that followed. For the first time since they met, both of them did not know what to do with themselves. For the time being, SooJin was hugging herself while looking out of the window. For one thing, there really was a lot of things going on in her mind. Won on the other hand was sitting on the edge of the bed. His mind was blank from shock. It was a complete miracle that he was even able to manoever himself to where he was sitting at, even if he had no recollection of how he did it.

He looked around the lavish room that was prepared for him and his girlfriend. It was one of those larger rooms in the mansion. No doubt his father was thinking of his friend when preparing the place and not necessarily about him and SooJin. The bed was a majestic looking king size with a canopy to match. And to the right of the bed, was a double door with crystal doorknobs that led out into the equally spacious balcony. There were a couple of cabinets in the room with gold for handles instead of normal steel. Apart from that, there were no other furnitures adorning the room, save for the doors.

The only one on the right of the bed was an intricate one with flower paintings that made it look almost fairytale like. Inside, however, was something that was not so romantic; the bathroom. It was no ordinary bathroom because the entire room could be worth almost half of the average mortgage. The sinks were made of foreign marble and the pipes were silver plated and so was the toilet. The shower was equipped with the most ridiculous functions that it would take about six months for someone to truly understand it.

Then, on the left side were two doors, made out of expensive oaks. The first one, closest to the bed was an office. It was a small one, not as lavish as the one in the master bedroom, but it was fully equipped. There were shelves for the possible books that were to fill them and  a desk for the owner to work at. And on that desk was a PC for whatever transactions that were to be done. There was a glass cabinet that was meant to be used for displaying whatever random stuff that may be bought.

Then, the one next to it, could make any woman cry. It was a seperate room that was converted into a walk in wardrobe. There was an island in the middle of the room filled with hundreds of accesories and the light that shone on the elaborate case made the diamonds, gold and gems shine even more. Not only that, below the glass top, there were stacks and stacks more of what SooJin could only assume were precious gems that were worth more than her life time salary. It infuriated her a little bit because she knew that the money could go to some good use. But part of her was undeniably fascinated by what was served to her. So much so, she felt like she was in some sort of amusement park or Playland. Only, she had to remember that she wasn't just staying for the day, she was staying...until further notice. 

The walk in closet made her eyes twinkle and it had amused Won. He was used to the kind of room that they were placed in. His room was a similar layout, though a little smaller. And his closet consisted only of his clothes and stuff. Now that he had a better look, he could see that the room was effectively split into two. One half of the room was filled with his jackets and his sweaters and shirts, while the other was filled with all kinds of designer dresses and heels and clothes that every girl could only dream of. Even the display case in the middle was divided in two. Not only was his cuff links there, but also different types of necklaces and earrings, from fancy ones to minimilastic ones. No doubt, those were the works of his step mother and his brother's mother. The Chairman's mistress was known for her elaborate and fancy style, while the Chairwoman was the exact opposite, and known for her simple but classy style. They must have had a blast going back and forth at each other while shopping for their "future daughter in law."

"Won ah..." Her quiet gasp brought his mind back into the room. He looked up at her in a daze. "Won...isn't all of this a little too much?" She looked around, still admiring the room. 

"I think you'll have to say that to my mother." He still contradicted saying mothers. But then again, his father's mistress isn't is his biolgical or his step mother. 

SooJin chuckled and Won could feel his heart fluttering and had to fight to keep the smile off his face when she did. "I guess I have them to thank huh?" She walked around the room, letting her fingertips touch the luxuries that she knew she would not be able to afford. 

Won cleared his throat. They were in no rush, but the mansion itself was huge and there was a lot of ground to cover. "Shall we go?" 

On the same floor that they were on, but in the next wing over was where he brought her to next.  In their wing there wasn't a lot to see in any case. But to the eyes of someone that wasn't used to seeing luxury and money being displayed everywhere around the house in terms of deco, it could be an absolute shock and that was exactly how Soojin was feeling as she was being led to the other side of the house. The couple passed through a middle section that connected the west and east wing of the house.  There, SooJin marveled at the giant painting that was hung. And unknowingly she slowed down just enough to admire it that Won was already at the other side when she looked away. 

Realising that SooJin was not with him, Won momentarily turned around in panic, afraid that she might have gotten lost.  But then he spotted her, at this time, still looking at the painting.  He strode over to her, breaking her concentration.  "It's Edward Filea... The Chairwoman bought it from a famous art gallery while she was in France a couple of years ago. One of her cheaper purchases... 500,000 euros. " This piece of information actually made SooJin's heart skip a beat.  It was the fact that he was saying it as if his mother had gone out to buy some groceries and decided to spoil herself... with an artwork that was worth 500,000 euros.  

"Come on... let's go to the east wing..." Won gently tugged at SooJin's arm to make sure that she was following. All the while she was still looking longingly at the painting. 

If the west wing was impressive, the east was even more so. The person that was living in this part of the house was really into flashy stuff. If the other wing was more subtle and more sophisticated, this wing was filled with crystal ornaments and white marbletops that were laced with gold. 

Won, on the otherhand, was walking through the entire floor like it was nothing. This was a given of course, because he had lived in the house for the most of his life. He led her to the other end of the east wing and in a little corner, where there are two doors that are at right angles to each other. He opened the one directly in front of them. SooJin stopped short outside of the room that Won had just barged into. 

"Come on... come on in....:" Won peeked through the threshold and beckoned her to come in. She was led into a spacious room, but it wasn't as grand as their accomodation in the entire house. But still, she could have easily fit two of her rooms at home into the place. And now that she noticed it, the other door outside also led to another room, that was connected to this one. 

She was so busy admiring the place that she didn't notice the owner of the room staring at her with an amused smile on his face. Tan knew that his father was capable of doing and pulling any kind of strings he chose, but he never thought that he could force someone out of their own home. Leaning in, he gave his hyung that was leaning against his desk. "Hyung, abuji is really something isn't he?" 

Won's response was not something that he would have expected. "Ani, something just came up. " 

"Mwo? what happened?" Tan furrowed at his hyung. 

"Let's just say that it wasn't safe to stay there anymore." Won answered, never taking his eye off his "girlfriend". 

Before Tan could ask more questions, SooJin's interjection took the attention of both brothers. 

"Tan?!" There was a certain friendliness in her voice following the fact that she has now been forced into a relationship with his hyung. 

"Annyeonhasaeyo..." Tan gave a slight bow.

"Tan, is this your room?!" SooJin's reaction was something that was not foreign to Tan. Over the last few years, Tan had invited a handful of friends to stay over and his accomodation never ceases to amaze everyone. And this is inclusive of his girlfriend. So, all he did was gave a little smile at SooJin's reaction. 

"Yes, nuna..." He stressed the last word. Because now that his abuji is under the impression that the two are dating, he might as well act friendly starting now and besides, he was the one that broke the news to everyone. So, it is only natural that he is close to his future sister in law. And surprisingly enough, he didn't even get a glare from his hyung or a flinch from SooJin with the use of that title. 

"Wa...This is amazing...." SooJin had her arms folded across her chest as she walked around the room. She wouldn't dare to leave fingerprints all over everything, especially, a room that wasn't designated to her. 

"Aniyo nuna...." Tan shook his head slowly. 

"It must be really nice to live here, especially as a child. It's like a giant playground." She marvelled, not realising that she had just tread into sensitive grounds.

Won visibly flinched, feeling the guilt rise within. And although Tan's smile faltered a little, he kept a little sad smile and said unknowingly " Well..I'm not sure...I wouldn't know..." And he said this remembering that he spent only a small fraction of his childhood in the house. 

...

Moving away from his brother's room, Won brought her around to the office, the kitchen, the multiple living rooms and they ended the entire tour in another room, not far from the room that had been provided for the both of them. 

To SooJin, this room was more gloomy as compared to the rest that she had been in. It was devoid of sunshine, and the furniture was black and metal, which gave off a very modern and distant vibe. But, SooJin noticed that it was the room that he was most comfortable in. 

As they entered the room, he immediately plopped himself on the bed. SooJin, on the other hand, made her way around the room. There was traces of Won all around the room. She saw him in the little pictures that are scattered around the room and miraculously enough, he wasn't smiling in any of them. But SooJin found them cute anyways, especially pictures from his childhood. There are books that Won had read, there are trinkets here and there that had his mark on them, some with his name on them. Just like the other rooms, there was substantial roaming room but unlike the rest, it was simple and sleek. 

Won followed SooJin's movement around his room. The only sole reason for him to have brought her there in the first place was to get some of his stuff and maybe a few blankets and pillows for him to sleep. Maybe later he could demand a sofa from his parents, with the excuse that the two had decided to add to the decor. In his mind, he thought that that would make their relationship more realistic; that they're already deciding on furniture together. 

As SooJin lingered on some of his photos, Won couldn't help but wonder what was running through her mind. Suddenly, he felt self conscious of himself. And subsequently, he made a mental reminder to just take all those photos down. He felt like he was being a little grumpy kid in them and it wasn't an image of himself that he would want to show her. 

SooJin brushed her fingers over the desk top in the meantime. There were a few books stuck between two book stops on the desk, a lamp, his laptop and a notebook/journal next to it. SooJin had already figured out that the room belonged to Won. Just like the man himself, the whole room was neatly organized with a dark colour scheme. It reflected his personality perfectly. Everything in the room was basically in order, that is until SooJin spotted something peculiar peeking out of his notebook. It was a picture. 

It shouldn't raise an alarm, but it just occurred to SooJin that it is weird in this particular photo, Won was grinning. As if in a trance, she picked it up, eventhough she wasn't really supposed to. In the picture, he had a girl next to him. She had her head slightly leaning against his shoulder. She had milky white skin with large eyes, and shoulder length straight hair. And in the same manner that she had picked up the photo, she asked him in a mechanical manner. "Whos this?" 

Won, who had previously been in his own world, was brought back by this question. It took him sometime to recognise the photo that she was referring to. Seeing her face again, he felt  a sudden guilt rise up from within. He was feeling that a lot lately and it doesn't feel good, especially when he couldn't do anything to fix it. However, he would be lying if he had said that he was thinking a lot of Hyun Joo lately. In fact, he couldn't even remember the last time that he had thought of her. 

"Oh..." He took sometime to answer with the cold, robotic voice that he has. "That's someone I used to know." He said, without wanting to explain much. 

SooJin kept staring at the photo. "A girlfriend huh?" She asked, not exactly born yesterday and not exactly shielded from the gut feeling that she has. Only someone who is in love would smile that wide. 

Won on the other hand, could not answer and instead looked down and started fidgeting with his sleeves. 

SooJin let out a sigh, which she couldn't totally explain. Sure, he had a picture of his ex, but why does that matter to her. They were in a fake relationship anyway. She then walked over towards Won and placed the picture on top of his hand, trying to muster as cheerful of a smile that she could. Following this, she said, "I want some food." And on that note, she walked out of the room hoping that he would follow her and also trying to hide the sadness in her expression at the same time. 

Won stood with the picture in his hand for a little while. There is a waste basket right beside his desk and he had considered placing the picture in there. But at the last minute he slipped it back into the notebook and out of sight. For some reason he couldn't let this person go yet. And with a newly found feeling of guilt towards SooJin, that he couldn't explain, he walked out of the room after his new girlfriend. 

 

...

a/n : Hello, thank you for staying with me and I have been thinking of what to do with this story for a long time now. Also, it's been a year because I had been trying to complete a research to graduate and get my degree.