Chapter 7- The First Invitation

You and Me : The life of an Executive

Won had just dropped Tan and Eun Sang off at university and he was on his way back to the office. He didn't have anything to do, he just liked being at work; keeps him busy. 

He was still in traffic when his phone rang. He answered without looking at the caller ID and was shocked to hear his father's voice. "Yes, abuji?" He listened to what the old man had to say. 

"Yes, it went perfectly well. I've got the script for us to review and the budget estimation as well. " He explained. He nodded at what his father was saying. Of course Kim Won could handle things on his own. "Ye, abuji. It'll all be taken care off." He said. He was about to hang up, when Kim Nam Yun said, "President Kim, one more thing..." 

He was forced to listen to what his father was saying and he didn't like it one bit. " But, abuji..." He tried to protest. What his father was suggesting was absurd. It was crazy. Why would he? Then he realised. His father had changed a lot ever since he accepted Kim Tan back in the family. But one thing never changed, he was still a selfish bastard. "Abuji, I don't think she can." He said to his father, hoping that Kim Nam Yun would change his mind. But no, the chairman had his heart bent on it. Won had to make it happen. 

He sighed in defeat. " Alright abuji, right away." Won hung up and made a U-turn. "Kim Soo Jin, it looks like we're not done for the day. " He said to himself as he drove to Jung In Films. 

Meanwhile, Soo Jin was enjoying her bowl of jjampong. She was completely unaware that she was about to receive a visitor. Eun Hye was sitting across from her, poking at her jajjangmyeon. "Unnie..." She said. "This movie, it's going to be a success right?" she looked at Soo Jin. 

"Of course. Don't think I don't know what you really mean. " Soo Jin said, with ful,  while pointing her chopsticks at Eun Hye. 

Eun Hye scoffed and said, "Unnie, how do you know what my real question is anyway?" she took a bite of her food. 

"Eun Hye ah... How long have I known you?" she looked at Eun Hye feeling annoyed. And also, the answer is...No." Soo Jin took another bite of jjampong. Eun Hye was really annoyed with her unnie, but what could she do, everytime she asked, Soo Jin's answer was always no. So, she decided to focus on the food in front of her. 

It would have been a calm lunch time, but that just wasn't the case. The two colleagues were eating peacefully when someone interrupted the peace. 

"Ah... So you guys were eating?" someone said from behind Soo Jin. Soo Jin nearly choked on her food when she heard who it was. She hit her chest as she coughed. 

She got up abruptly and turned to the woman that was standing behind her. In the woman's arms a baby was squirming, trying to break free. 

"Yah! What are you doing here?!" Soo Jin shouted.  Eun Hye had already placed everything on a tray. 

"Unnie, I'll get back to work first." Eun Hye said, walking out of Soo Jin's office with a tray full of food. 

"What do you mean what I'm doing here?" Kim Jin Ae said to her sister. "I'm here to visit unnie of course." Jin Ae said, sitting down on the couch with baby Gook in her arms. 

Soo Jin stood with her arms crossed across her chest. She was both furious and annoyed. 

"You think this is a game?" Soo Jin said angrily. "Yah!  This is my workplace. You can't just show up here anytime you like. " Soo Jin was gritting her teeth. 

"Eiii... What does it matter? I'm your little sister anyway. I mean, we haven't seen each other in two years. " Jin Ae rocked Gook in her lap. 

"Yaish!" Soo Jin shouted. 

It was Jin Ae's turn to be annoyed. "Aiiii... Unnie. Stop it. Somebody will hear. " She said, rocking Gook harder, afraid that he'll break out in tears, listening to his mum and aunt. 

"Who? We're at the very back of the room. Yah. Stop giving me excuses. That's why you've always been the problem child. " Soo Jin said. Jin Ae clicked her tongue. "Do I have to listen to you nag?" she said. 

"Yah, you..." Soo Jin raised her fist to hit Jin Ae, but stopped herself when she remembered Gook was in the room. She took a deep breath. "Anyway... You can't just come here anytime you like. Araeso?" Soo Jin gave her sister the death stare.

Jin Ae pouted. "Araeso unnie." She got up. "Then I'll get going first. Somebody wants to talk to you anyway." Jin Ae said, looking at the back of Soo Jin where there was a glass wall, allowing Soo Jin to look out of her office. 

She turned to where her sister was looking and her eyes went wide when she saw Kim Won blinking back at her. She bit her lip and turned to Jin Ae. "How long has he been there?"  she whispered. 

Jin Ae leaned in closer to her sister. "Since the very beginning. He was already in the waiting room when I got here. I noticed someone following me. It must have been him." Jin Ae said. Soo Jin really felt like hitting her sister. 

"Yah and you didn't say anything?" Soo Jin whispered. 

"How would know that he'll actually listen in on our little conversation. " Jin Ae shrugged. 

Soo Jin was so frustrated that she could scream, but the problem was, she can't because President Kim was standing right outside her office, watching everything unfold. "Yah, you. Out. Now." Soo Jin said, massaging her forehead,  regretting her decision to install a floorlength glass window with no privacy.

"Kureom, unnie, I'll get going first!" Jin Ae said loudly.  Jin Ae nodded at Kim Won when she passed him and he nodded back, slightly embarrassed that he was caught. 

He looked inside to see Soo Jin staring at him with her arms crossed across her chest. He cleared his throat and steeled himself. He put on his charming smile and walked towards the door. He knocked and Kim Soo Jin nodded. 

He didn't say anything an decided to let her say something first. "Can I help you?" Soo Jin asked with a neutral expression. But there was something in her voice that made it obvious she was annoyed.

"There is something I need to tell you. From the Chairman of Jeguk Group." He said, stuffing his hands into his pockets.  

 Soo Jin was surprised. What would Kim Nam Yun possibly want. "Ah, jeongmalyo?  What is it?" she asked, her curiosity raised. 

"Well, the thing is, you can say no, if you don't want to." Won's confidence faltered a little, but Soo Jin was too curious to even notice. 

 "So, what is it?" she was starting to get impatient. 

Won was still not sure whether any of this was a great idea. He knew his father and he knew what the man was capable of. But still, he wanted the throne and as long as that old man was not satisfied, the throne was out Won's reach. 

He looked at Kim Soo Jin with a determined expression. "Well, the thing is.... Chairman Kim...." Won was trying to figure out the best way to say it, and decided that he should just say it and get it over with.  

"This is an annual thing and Chairman Kim has invited you personally, President Kim. " Won said. He continued when he sees the confusion on Soo Jin's face. "An annual party for the main shareholders and important people in the company. " He said. No matter what she says, as long as he has relayed the message that was it. As  she thought about it, a thought came to him. What if his father really wanted Kim Soo Jin there? And he was to make sure she was there at all cost and if he failed, his chance at getting the throne would be gone. No. This won't do. She has to be there. She has to. To keep his father happy. 

"But I'm not any of that though. " Soo Jin said, more to herself than to him. 

"You know the situation between our fathers don't you?" He asked. 

Soo Jin nodded, getting it. Kim Nam Yun really is a man who gets what he wants. Even if it meant forcing himself on people. "Yes of course I know. " She said, cautious. 

"Chairman Kim is inviting you exclusively as a family friend." Won was hoping she would say yes now. 

"It would be good for the movie..." He said as a last resort. He couldn't believe the nerves he was experiencing as he waited for her answer. 

He sighed and said, "Okay, here is my card." he handed over his card. "If you've made up your mind, just call me." He said. Soo Jin stared at the card before shaking her head. 

"No, there's no need. I'll go." She smiled at him. 

He blinked, a little surprised and very delighted. "Oh, that's good. But keep this anyway, so... We can discuss details for the movie." He said, holdIng out the card still. 

Soo Jin took it and smiled. "Then you should have mine too." Soo Jin said, walking over to her desk, taking her business card from a stack on the table. "Here." She held it our for him to take. 

He accepted it. They were going to have to be cooperative with each other if they wanted to make this movie a success.

"Thank you. I'll contact you when everything is decided. Your transport I mean." He stuffed the card into his pocket. 

"Can't I just go there on my own?" Soo Jin asked. 

Won shook his head. "We should provide for a family friend. Besides, it'll save you the trouble of looking for the place." He said.

Soo Jin smiled and nodded once. She really didn't see any way around this. Jeguk Group is after all, one of the most powerful company out there. "Araeso.I'll wait for further news. " Soo Jin gave him her most dazzling smile. 

"Kureom, if there is nothing else, I'll get going. " Won said, nodding at Soo Jin once before walking out of her office. Soo Jin kept her smile in place, until Won was out of sight. She exhaled deeply. She didn't know where this was going to lead her with the Kim family and Jeguk Group, but things are getting interesting. Exclusive invite? Family friend? Yeah right. When did Soo Jin ever become close enough to be considered a family friend. 

She sighed, wrapping her arms around herself, saying,  "Kurae. Let's see how far he's going to take this. Let's play."

 

 

 

 

Ellie: I thank everyone who has been supportive of this fanfic so far. It means so much to me and Iam forever grateful. People ask me why I obsesses over this whole thing. Well if you love something and you're passionate about it, you go for it. I hope everyone of you are doing what you love as well and once again thank you for supporting this fanfic. It has been an escape for me and a pleasure to write this up until now and I hope you guys will stay with me til the end. Not forcing though. Thank you, lovely people :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))