Tuesday Night, Cold Summer

Another Then Another (Drabbles)

I tried with the sweet stuff. HAHA

-----

 

Taeyeon idly spun around her chair, she was counting the lines on her palms while she waits for her best friend to finish up in the bathroom.

It was a nice summer night at their family’s vacation house nearby the beach. It wasn’t too warm so she assumed that her slumber later would be nice unlike those she spent in Seoul.

She thought of her sister, Hayeon, wondered how unfair it was that her sister’s growing taller and taller while she’s stuck in the same height.

Then her thoughts went to her dog; Ginger and wondered if her parents are fussing about his behavior already or they were now attached to the dog that they won’t even let him go home with her anymore.

Her thoughts jumped from family to school then to her loud group of friends and finally to that one particular friend who’s enjoying her time in the bathroom.

Tiffany. Taeyeon inhaled, her hands dropping to her sides and she stopped spinning.

Tiffany.

That name strangely suit the young maiden, and so does her Korean name but the owner of the name thinks otherwise.

They’ve been friends since forever and been attached for years. They were inseparable and one of the most unique friendships you’d ever find. Of course, since they are the opposite of one another.

The living proof that ‘opposite attracts’.

The times they argued and made up will always make the both of them smile and laugh. Chuckling at how silly it was and grinning that they knew how to handle each other so well.

Tiffany always said that she knew Taeyeon better.

Taeyeon agrees but not until she realized something a few months ago, during a stroll at the park while the snowflakes gracefully lands.

She noticed how nice Tiffany’s voice was, how her eyes twinkle so brightly and how warm and welcoming they are. She liked how her cheeks looked so soft and squishy and how her cherry lips would form into a pout when one of them calls her a pig.

Taeyeon also noticed how warm she felt when Tiffany held her hand and squeezed them when she wants to hear more from Taeyeon. Or how Tiffany’s steps resembles one of a child that’s playing in the rain.

Tiffany’s laugh would echo in her ears then it would go further and further until it reaches the depth of her heart. When it reaches the deepest part, warmth would be emitted and it will flow through her veins like her blood and she would feel cozy just hearing Tiffany’s beautiful laughter.

Tiffany became an instant addiction and when Taeyeon realized her forbidden feelings, she knew it was too late.

She was already falling before she could even say: Help.

Taeyeon flinched when she felt a warm hold on her right arm, that left her mind going haywire, and immediately turned to its owner.

Tiffany raised her eyebrows at her, “You okay? You were spacing out just now.”

“Yeah, I am. I was just wondering why my best friend spends so much time in the bathroom and uselessly spends water.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes at her and dropped her towel on Taeyeon’s head, “I just spent ten minutes, Taetae. Ten. One, zero. And besides, you dragged me around and made me dirty so you are to blame.”

“Excuse me, I am?” Taeyeon tried her hardest not to sniff the towel and turned to her friend who’s combing her hair.

“Yes.” Tiffany replied.

“You asked for it!” The shortest girl retorted as she stood up and made her way to the bathroom.

“But you started the teasing first!”

“Oh please.”

Taeyeon chuckled and closed the door. She immediately held her chest and tried to calm down. Now, what was that just now? Were her feelings close to exploding that she almost cried at how beautiful and wonderful her beautiful Tiffany is?

Taeyeon shook her head, GET A GRIP. She told herself.

Confessing has made its way to her brain, like many other times, but like always, she resisted the idea and accepts the fact that she’s only a friend. The best friend.

She was still fine with the idea of being the best friend but not until she was introduced to male beings who could win Tiffany’s heart easily. It surprised her a lot when she grew really jealous and clingy when Tiffany told her about an ideal male acquaintance—Tiffany was pleasantly surprised and at the same time, weird out when Taeyeon grew cutesy all of a sudden—and how infuriated she was when some men broke her Tiffany’s heart.

Taeyeon got the shock of her life when she caught herself staring at Tiffany’s lips when they were eating ice cream during a hot day two months ago.

The urge to confess grew more intense since then.

But until now, Taeyeon’s still ignoring the idea, deeming it dangerous and delusional.

It’s not like Tiffany likes her back, right?

Right.

Taeyeon finished drying her hair and looked at the mirror one final time. She sighed and wore her glasses. Sure, she was not that attractive but Tiffany had told her a lot of times that she’s the cutest girl she ever met. So…Maybe…Just maybe…Even just a slight chance that Tiffany’s attracted to her?

Taeyeon slapped herself and winced the next second when she realized what she just did. A sigh escape her lips.

“Tiffany, Tiffany, Tiffany. What have you done to me?” she mumbled to herself before she unlocked the bathroom door and turned its lights off.

She saw Tiffany lying on the large bed where they would sleep—HELP ME—and held back a smile when she saw her squishing one of the peas lying at the right side of the bed.

“I don’t think Mito will like it when you keep on squishing her cheeks,” Taeyeon grinned as she approached Tiffany.

Tiffany glanced up at her, “You changed their name?”

“No,” Taeyeon shook her head and lied down on her stomach, “The ones you’re familiar with, they’re in Jeonju.”

“Oh.” Tiffany simply replied before she continued playing with the pea in her hands, “I like the old ones better.”

Taeyeon hummed while checking her phone. She was in the middle of reading her classmate’s message when a hand covered the screen.

She looked up and saw Tiffany’s unreadable gaze.

“What?”

“I said: I like the old ones.”

“Umm…Good for them?”

“…”

Taeyeon quirked an eyebrow, “Uh…Why?”

Tiffany smiled, “They remind me of good old times. You know? Just you and I at your bedroom, playing and doing silly stuff.”

Taeyeon grinned, “Yeah…They are witnesses of our growing up period, after all.”

“Remember the time where we fussed around your room and arranged our toys to have our wedding?”

Taeyeon felt her cheeks going red but she shrugged it off, “Y-Yeah.”

“And remember the time when you used to spoon me when I sleep over your place?”

The short girl smiled, she liked those times better too, “Yup.”

It was quiet for a few seconds and Taeyeon thought Tiffany fell asleep but she heard a low mumble.

She looked up and saw Tiffany hugging the pea tightly against her chest. The lower half of her face hidden by the green plush while her eyes are staring back at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon can see the redness of Tiffany’s face though.

“I’m sorry, did you say something?” she had to ask.

Tiffany inhaled, “I s-said. Can you do it to me again?”

Taeyeon tilted her head, “Which?”

“T-The…sp-spoon part.” Tiffany’s face grew redder.

The short girl held back a smile, “Okay.” Taeyeon’s sure that she would die in bliss because her heart is beating so fast right now and she was afraid that Tiffany could feel it.

They fixed their position for a few seconds before Taeyeon finally has her arms around Tiffany.

Tiffany was pressed against her body and Taeyeon’s arms protectively wrapped around the younger girl’s waist.

“…Your heart’s beating so fast.” Tiffany’s voice was soft.

Darn it.

“O-Oh? Don’t mind it, it’s nothing. Or is it too uncomfortable?” Taeyeon worriedly asked.

“…Can I face you?”

Taeyeon quietly inhaled, God, if Taeyeon’s about to die, this would be the way she’d like to receive her death. “Okay…”

Tiffany slowly spun in her hold and now they are facing each other. Just a few centimeters away.

Taeyeon closed her eyes and clenched her fist a bit. Oh no, she could feel Tiffany’s breath hitting her face.

“Taetae…?”

“…Hm?”

“I’ve been thinking a lot lately…”

“…About?”

“…You…”

Taeyeon scrunched her eyebrows, “What about me?”

“…How much I know you and what if I don’t really know you.”

“…I don’t follow…”

She heard Tiffany swallowing the lump in , “I am not sure if I know what is happening with you b-but I just hope it’s mutual…”

Taeyeon felt Tiffany’s hand holding her own, “What do you mean?”

“I-If I’m right, please just squeeze my hand but if I’m wrong can we forget about what I said when we wake up?”

“What?”

“Please?”

“…Okay.” It was weird but Taeyeon would do anything Tiffany ask her to.

“…I-I know. I think I know what you feel and is it alright if we take it slow? I-It’s not that I’m not comfortable with the idea it’s just…It needs some getting used to. So…Is it alright if we…Take it slow?”

Taeyeon opened her eyes and saw Tiffany’s hopeful gaze, she saw another emotion in Tiffany’s eyes.

It was warmer than what she's used to and it was what she’d want to see in every waking moment of her life. It was what she wants to see every hour, every minute and every second. It was what she wanted to see for the rest of her life.

It was what she felt for Tiffany during that day she realized how perfect she is for Taeyeon.

Taeyeon felt bare under Tiffany’s hazy gaze. It was wonderful, the feeling of it being returned.

She leaned closer until there are no space left. Her lips fit Tiffany’s, just like a puzzle piece.

It was weird but she did feel and hear the fireworks when their lips connected into one soft, sweet kiss.

They slowly leaned back and caught their breaths. It’s not that they lip-locked but it was breathtaking.

Awesome.

Taeyeon opened her eyes and met Tiffany’s smiling ones.

She squeezed her hand.

“Okay.”