Chapter Thirteen

Planned to Be

Hi readers
I am finally back with the next chapter. This one is a bit angsty (sorry). 

There is also the second bit to Sooyoung and Siwon's side story. 

I just finished writing this. Yet again, I have not read through it to check for my grammar/spelling mistakes. Sorry. 

Once again, I hope this chapter does not disappoint. 

Thank you to everyone who has taken their time to read this story. I really really appreciate it. 

A big thank you to my subscribers. 

I will be working hard on the next chapter (the 'wedding'). Until then :) 

All the best

chapter thirteen

The dinner party carries on, with the guests downing drinks and gobbling food as they chatter across the long dinner table. Sooyoung takes advantage that the conversation was on the other side of the table, so she can enjoy her food, cutting into her lamb cutlet when the attention shifts to her.

"So sooyoung, what do you do?" one of the other guests ask.

"I'm a wedding planner. I help people with their big day." She explains kindly as people start passing her different plates of food. In between the sentence, she catches Siwon raising his glass towards her before drinking.

"That's sounds like an amazing job”

“It takes a lot of work” Sooyoung says laughingly.

 “But you must enjoy it."

"I really do." She smiles sweetly.

“That must be nice~” another guest sighs enviously. 

But the conversation starts reaching the sensitive wound areas

"So they say you're single." One of the female guests point out.

"Exactly, how can such a beauty like you be single?"

Noticing the discomfort hiding behind Sooyoung's expression, Siwon interjects and tries to steer the attention astray.

There is the sound of a glass hitting the table and everyone turns their head towards Siwon. He is now standing up, apologising for his clumsiness. There is a stain on his shirt and pants from what was previously his drink.

"Oh dear, Siwon ssi are you ok?"

"yes, I'm fine." he reassures in his gentlemanly manner. Sooyoung reaches for the serviettes and passes it to the people who are closer to him.

"Please excuse me, I just need to go to the bathroom for a bit." he says before he ducks back through the glass screen doors and into the warmly lit house.

As Siwon comes out of the bathroom, he is still trying to adjust his shirt to be comfortable. But just before he passes the threshold to the hallway, someone holds a pair of slacks and a clean shirt out in front of him. He recognises the young lady with the disheartened and tired eyes - a colleague of his.

"Thank you" she says sincerely

"For what?" he laughs feigning ignorance.

"thank you for saving me." She says softly but sincerely while looking straight into his eyes to make sure he receives the message.
"It's the least I can do." Siwon smiles and shrugs nonchalantly.  

"These are my brother in law's, hopefully they fit."

"and you know my size Sooyougn ssi?” He questions teasingly

"Part of my job is to help with the groom's fittings. It’s part of my nature to be able to estimate. You should know that. " She pokes fun back at him.

"Right, from all those times I've bene working with you. Of course I know." he says almost proudly. He takes the slacks from her and heads back to the bathroom.

Before he closes the door, he lifts the garments and says

"Thank you for saving me" in return, she chuckles and shakes her head.

"It's the least I could do."

Siwon joins the lonely Sooyoung on the grass, with a bottle of water in his hand.

"Not wine?" she asks with a pout, but takes it gratefully nevertheless.

"It's best to take care of your health Sooyougn ssi."

Sooyoung shrugs sadly and thanks him anyway. She lies down after recapping the botlte.

"Isn't it nice for my sister and brother in law to have bought this house further from the city, away from all the complications and troubles of the city." She asks as Siwon turns to look at her.

"is that what you want?" his question strikes her, she was not expecting a question. She blinks in consideration, weighing out her answer.

"I always loved the city, loved my job. But…” SOoyoung pauses and heaves a deep sigh. “After investing in a love for so long only to be cut off like that. I don't know what I want anymore."

"Sometimes when you're lost and don't know where you are. It is a good idea to trace back to where you started so at least you can work out where to go from there. "

"That's too deep" she smiles tiredly

"What made you want to do this job?"

"For people like Yoona, she always wanted to do it. From attending all those wedding since her young age. "

Siwon notices how she seems to be avoiding the question. He also lies down, joining her side. But sooyoung is unaffected.

"But what about you Sooyoung ssi?"

"Me?" She scoffs at herself in a painful satirical way. There is another sigh. But in the end she decides to tell the story to her companion. "Yoona and I attended a wedding of one of our neighborhood mentors. There was a little bit of a hiccup with the ceremony proceedings, and Yoona and I helped out, sorting everything out. When the bride tossed the bouquet, instead of throwing it directly behind her to the crowd of desperate bachelorettes, she looked at Yoona and me in the eye. Yoona pointed at me and she threw the bouquet directly to me. She thanked us for saving her big day. It is such an important event for her and she was almost on the verge of breaking when everything was falling apart. That's when I realised - well when Yoona made me realise the greatness of this job. You get to witness those happy moments."

Sooyoung sheds a tear, and sniffs before continuing.

"Funnily enough, I always wanted to be married before 25. And because I caught the bouquet, I was so blessed I truly believed I was also going to married by then. Because I met him on that same day."

"Him?"

"Oh, my ex-boyfriend." she looks away from him as she speaks those words. "I was a girl in love. My life ran all according to plan. But I was waiting and waiting, but he never proposed. I was getting more and more nervous. You see I'm already 27." She looks over at siwon with a pitiful look that begs understanding.

"But one day he told me-" the tears fall continuously, sliding off her complexion.She covers at the next rush of tingling sensation behind her nose. She swallows the lump in before continuing.

"He told me. He just doesn't think a marriage between us would work because I have changed I am too demanding, I am not understanding enough and that marriage will get in the way of his promotion which needs him to migrate to Hong Kong. So a love of 7 years ended just like that."

Siwon curses under his breath and squeezes the bottle in his hand tightly.

"So because I had my life set with plans ahead, which never fell into step. I don't think I'm right to do this job.

Siwon waits a few moments to allow Sooyoung to settle down. He passes her a tissue.

"Sooyoung ssi, plans can get pushed back. It doesn't always have to be as it is set to be. You've had many weddings pushed back right?" he successfully distracts her as he watches her try to calculate the math in her head.

"Probably one in every 20 weddings."

"Exactly, it doesn't mean your plans have failed, they are simply on hold for the time being. Just waiting for the right person to help you carry out the plans."

She turns to look at him, her eyes red and teary. He does not look away, staring back in all sincerity. She purses her lips and looks away before her lips form an understanding smile. She nods, and whispers the words “thank you”

 

***

Yoona stands to greet her soon-to-be-wedded clients walking through the front doors of the catering company. They exchange brief greetings and Yeonhee is disturbed by a phone call, so she steps aside to handle the matter.

Not long after, the receptionist (the new staff member) they had met on their previous visit approaches Yoona and Changmin who are standing a generous distant apart.

“Mr and Mrs Shim, the chef is this way please” she smiles at the two and gestures towards the hallway.

But Changmin looks up quickly as if he had been electric-shocked. But he makes no move to correct the receptionist’s mistake.

Yoona is equally shocked if not even more, she struggles to keep a straight face with her widened eyes. There is a panicking feeling in her stomach. She promptly turns round to find Yeonhee still on the phone call – completely unaware of the situation (thankfully).

So Yoona is quick on her feet to smile professionally to hide the mistake. She stretches her arm out to indicate to Yeonhee and clarifies

“You mean Mrs Shim. I’m the wedding planner.” Yoona’s kind (and sympathetic smile) unfaltering but she manages to mask the latter quite well.

It is the receptionist’s turn to be surprised. Her face immediately flushes red from embarrassment as she bows repeatedly in apology.

“I’m so sorry.” She starts “It’s just… it’s just… you’re always together.” She explains innocently.

Yoona was about to refute that, a pressure on her chest she wanted to let out – to clarify that it was not the case. But seeing Changmin, unresponsive to that, she thinks back and realizes that that was true. For the past few times they had come round, Yeonhee was either occupied by a meeting or elsewhere on a trip.

For that, Yoona is rendered speechless. She merely flushes and looks down at her feet with her lips pursed.

Yeonhee apologises for the delay as the three stand awkwardly.

“Have I missed something?” She says with a laugh, trying to break the tension.

The receptionist sneaks a look at Yoona who subtly gives her a shake of the head to not dwell on the situation and to pretend it didn’t happen. So she does.

The rest of the appointment went smoothly, finalising their final menu, confirming the dates. Yoona is dismissed first as Changmin and Yeonhee decide they have further questions for the caterer. The former is confused and hesitate but realises that they were quite adamant that she leave. So she follows their request.

For Yoona did not know, the couple or rather business associates had prepared a long-term contract for this caterer to serve at their company.

***

Yoona returns to the office tiredly, to finalise the preparations for dress rehearsal. But as she walks through the door, she is surprised to see Kyuhyun sitting casually on the couch in her office. He looks as if he has made himself comfortable, leaning back with one leg crossed over the other. As soon as he registers her presence, he shoots her a smile.

“OH Kyuhyun ah” he nods.

“How did your appointment go?”

“It went well… everything was finalised. So we can proceed to organising the final rehearsal.” Yoona briefly explains. She turns to him curiously upon realising that he should have corresponded all his work and hence has no need to see her “I thought you already showed me the photographs to the Shim pre-shoot”

“Are you sure everything went well?”

“What do you mean?” Yoona laughs in confusion. 

 “Well… put it this way…” he takes out his phone. “And to answer your question, yes we finalised the photo selection. But there’s actually one I didn’t show you”

Upon relaying the information with little lead up, he passes the open photograph to Yoona. Yoona frowns at first, but realises what the photograph is of. It is none other than herself. And Changmin putting a coat on her shoulders.

“When I asked you if everything went well. I meant this.”

Yoona is frozen, she looks up at Kyuhyun and her eyes are full of worry and warning.

“That’s not what… it seems like” she says, taking a deep breath. “How did you…”

“I was trying to play a prank on him.” He says simply.

“I wouldn’t put it past you” Yoona rolls her eyes, trying to ease the awkwardness.

“and If you’re wondering, no, I was alone.”

“ That’s not what I’m wondering. There is nothing between me and him. So please don’t misunderstand. Besides, he’s getting married for goodness sake!”

“exactly. That’s why I just need to know that you know what you’re doing. I’m worried for you as a friend Yoona.” Kyuhyun say.

Yoona remains silent for quite a while.

“Thanks Kyuhyun.” She purses her lips and says nothing more.

***

Yoona is glad Sooyoung is back and working at full speed. She is thankful, but she cannot seem to persuade her to slow down. But she can tell she is not doing it to distract herself. Knowing her friend, she is only apologetic for leaving Yoona at a time of need. She has also noticed that Sooyoung has been visiting the men’s designed – Siwon more, even when there were no tailoring questions. They would sometimes have lunch together.

She is sitting in her room four days after Kyuhyun confronted her about his concerns. She stares at the script of the vows (for the Shim wedding) on her laptop screen. The problem has been looming over her for quite a few sleepless nights. And she is emotionally exhausted. She opens her drawer, and pulls out her scrapbook, of different magazine clippings and sketchings of wedding dresses that had caught her eye over the years. It is her inspiration and the essence of her passion for the job. Her job… she stumbles upon the thought. She questions whether she has broken the cardinal rule which would mean she would not be fit to be a wedding planner.

She folds her arms across herself and hugs her shoulders, where the weight of a jacket was placed on hers. She closes her eyes. Though she has been avoiding him, especially since Sooyoung had returned, she cannot disregard the fact that she has been thinking back to moments they shared. She would secretly hope to bump into him by accident in the café in the mornings (but does not in the end). But the biggest traitor of all is her rushed heartbeat whenever she thinks or goes near him.

She opens her eyes. Her fingers touch over the pages of what has come together as her dream – one she has been living since she started working here. She cannot let go of her dream. So she must let go of this wedding in order to protect her dream. To protect her herself. To protect her dignity.

***

The dress rehearsal happens two days prior to the wedding, due to a clash of schedules. Most the staff members are gathered in the hall for the briefing and rundown of the itinerary.

The photographers Minho and Kyuhyun are coordinating their positions for the shots. Meanwhile Leeteuk the videographer takes care of the course for footage. Yuri starts playing her tune of the processional music on the piano - Ed Sheeran’s perfect rearranged by Jonghyun. As the music starts gently, the lights are dimmed by their technical team – Yesung.

Yoona is standing quietly accompanying Yeonhee just in the shadows before the start of the aisle. She gives her an affirmative smile to give the latter courage (who seems like she does not need). They both watch as the two bridesmaids walk with their makeshift bouquets. They watch as Boa the maid of honour follows on. Yoona takes one last chance to remind Yeonhee to watch where Boa needs to be before she takes her first step. And it all goes smoothly as she gracefully walks in her elegant stilettos.

Yoona retreats back into the shadows, avoiding having to look at the person waiting at the end. She does not want to witness the anticipation in his eyes. So she finds Sooyoung and joins her, watching as the marriage celebrant go through the vows.

Yoona hears the couple repeating the speech that she helped them prepare, but she is not actually listening, ignoring the anxious hammering in her chest. Sooyoung turns to her.

“Are you sure about your decision?”

“Yes. Positive. I’m sorry to have to do this to you.” Yoona looks back sincerely.

“Don’t be, you were there for me when I needed most. This is the least I can do.” Sooyoung says

Long before they knew it, Yeonhee’s bridal party –were now practising their exit to the ceremony. The height difference between the best man, Yunho, with the tall build of next to Boa is one to be adored.  Sooyoung had to specifically remind Changmin to take care not to step on the back of Yeonhee’s dress when she turns.

While the couple practises their first dance, Yoona busies herself by confirming the plan for the evening with the waiting and catering team. It is not until they finish that Yuri tells her that he had improved quite significantly. Yoona simply mutters a

“Really?” she merely laughs. But Yuri chooses not to point out that she does not seem excited, probably because Yoona will not be witnessing this first dance first hand on the night.

At the end of the rehearsal, Yunho gathers everyone, standing on the stage and announcing that he has some good news. The staff members are expectant, and waiting for him to start his speech but Kyuhyun takes the opportunity of the settling silence to shout out.

“could it be you’re expecting a child?”

Yunho, the prideful man is a little shocked at this comment, he shakes his head in disbelief and to ruin his satisfaction of the prank, he answers

“yes. I am actually.”

The staff gasp in shock.

“You don’t believe him actually right?” Sooyoung points out.

To make matters worse, Kyuhyun calls out again

“IS the mother of your child Boa noona” at this Boa steps down the stage in her floorlength bridesmaid dress and strides not so gracefully to slap Kyuhyun on the arm.

“that’s enough.” He syas as the laughter dies down. “So on the night. I need every employee in the … it is a basic requirement. So please attend the wedding.”

The staff scatter as they are dismissed, dissolving into discussions of anticipation and confusion.

But Yoona is left behind with Yunho, Boa, Sooyoung and the couple.

“I’m really sorry to do this to you Mr Jung.”

Yunho knows it is not a small matter by the way she addressed him. Yoona swallows and takes a deep breath before speaking up again.

“this wedding has come together. And there’s not much that can go wrong. This is short notice but…” she takes a deep breath as the attention is on her.

Sooyoung is beside her side to support her.

“I wish to withdraw my participation in this wedding project.” There is a gasp from the bride and Boa.

“oh why?” Yeonhee steps forward towards Yoona, at a loss.

“She’s spoken to me about it. And I am confident to take it on from here on out” sooyoung expresses her support.

“I’m sorry to Mr and Mrs shim” – as Yeonhee and Boa look at her rather crest fallen “and for the disappointment I’ve caused but I really need this”

“Could you care to explain Why?” yunho finally speaks up.  

“Due to personal reasons” Yoona replies firmly, looking directly and unwaveringly at Yunho. “I’m sorry” she adds quietly.   

Yunho struggles to collect his thoughts. He has a hand covering his mouth as he processes his decision.

“You need to ask the couple themselves.”

Yeonhee looks at her empatheically and is worried for holding her back. But surprisingly, the main subject of concern speals up

“We have no objections “ he says simply. But he doesn’t look at her and neither does Yoona try to look at him. His answer surprises Yoona, that he does not take the opportunity to have a dig at her. Perhaps he had gotten the hints of her drawing distance. Perhaps he has just come to his senses about his nonsensical attitude. Everyone looks at Changmin for further clarification – as to why he did not put up a fight this time round.  

“It seems Ms Im has proven her professionalism from how this wedding has come together. She handled it at one stage all by herself and was more than capable. So I don’t think she needs to prove herself anymore.” He speaks a well formed response. At the last bit of the sentence, he looks at her, almost in acknowledgement. “So we would like to thank her for her hard work.”

Yoona looks up, a little ashamed, but does not show it. She tries to stand with pride. Managing to pull off a smile, she looks at the couple 

“And we’re sorry to let you go.” Yeonhee says, coming towards her and holding her hand.

“Thank you for your understanding.” She says to Yeonhee, and then nods at Mr Shim.

And with that, Yoona asks for dismissal, wanting to call it a day.

As she walks away, she does not look back. She cannot dare to. Even though she feels (or imagines) that Changmin (who was actually) staring at her leaving figure.

***

The next couple of days pass quickly with Yoona occupying herself with her other projects in hand. It is the day of the wedding – also the day after a restless night of tossing and turning under her covers. She had tried but once again couldn’t sleep. She sends reminders to Sooyoung by instinct and habit even though she has no more involvement in the wedding to be happening tonight.

Despite having freed up her schedules, she finds herself getting ready for work even earlier than normal. This means she arrives at the cafe at an earlier hour than usual. Shin Hye and Geun Suk look at each other exchanging curious glances. It was unlike her to turn up this early in the morning. Yet it was even more unlike her to look so tired.

As she walks in, she manages a weak smile and instead of ordering, she takes a seat near the window, staring at the quiet street. The street is still dark as the sun has yet to rise. But that does not bother her. She just sits and stares blankly, trying to empty her thoughts. It was the right decision. She knows it. And once tonight is over. It will all be fine again. But she finds it difficult to even convince herself of that.

She is disturbed the sound of a coffee mug being placed gently on the table in front of her. She looks up slowly and comes to realise Shin Hye had brought a cup of tea.

“I thought you needed to wake up.

Yoona smiles meekly. “I certainly do.”

 “I think this would be better than a caffeine hit. This will calm you,” Shin Hye smiles at Yoona’s curious raise of the eyebrow.

“It says ‘sleepless night’ all over your face” Shin Hye says. To this Yoona chuckles embarrassedly.

“That obvious huh?” she manages to joke.

“Just a little bit” Shin Hye plays along and pushes Yoona’s hand gently back down as the customer tries to hand her card to pay for the favour.

“This is my treat.” Shin Hye smiles and pats her on her shoulder. And is about to leave her alone. But then she turns back and hands her a pen and card for Yoona who accepts it gratefully.

“You know me well.”

It is not until a couple of hours later before another regular walks in as per his new routine. But before he orders, Shin Hye tells him directly

“She came and left already.” Shin Hye says, registering the shock beneath Changmin’s composed expression. He remains speechless, holding back his question as to why she knows. But then again, his intentions might have been quite obvious to the observer. Shin Hye looks at her watch and continues

“about two hours ago?”

There is a further hint of surprise in Changmin’s expression. But he does not comment. He only reaches out to take the card that Shin Hye hands to him. On it is the familiar writing of none other than Yoona’s.

Changmin now looks up at Shin Hye cautiously as he retrieves and pockets the card.  

“I’ve noticed what you've been doing. I’m quick to catch onto things.” She smiles proudly.

“Regretfully.” Geun Suk comes by and adds. He hands the tall customer his usual coffee with a signature smile.

“Thanks.” Changmin says, holding reaching for his wallet.

“Don't worry. Our treat” Geun Suk says.

“No, I can’t” he insists.

“If you’re really sorry, you better work out what made her have a sleepless night” Shin Hye advises wisely. And Changmin looks down sadly. He knows the answer to that. But whether he can fix the problem, he is not sure whether it is a lost cause. He manages a smile and thanks the shop owners once again before leaving.

Changmin reads the message on the card as he reaches his car.

Sometimes you have to give up something in order to protect something else.’

He squeezes his eyes shut as he rests his head on his seat. His mind flashes back to Kyuhyun's confrontation a few days ago. 

To Changmin's surprise (and shock) his friend had approached it in quite an upfront manner. He was stopped in his tracks as he was heading to his car after another dance lesson with Yeonhee. 

"Shim Changmin do you know what you are doing?" 

"What do you-" but Kyuhyun impatiently cuts across him

"You and Yoona."  Kyuhyun says firmly. Changmin was about to deny it.

"there's nothing between..."

"I saw you two the other day."  Kyuhyun states as he shoves his phone with the open photograph of  him putting the jacket on Yoona. As soon as Changmin looks up again, there is a mix between shock, anger and worry in his eyes that he fails to mask. But those mixed emotions are soon replaced by something softer - regret. And  it even affects Kyuhyun.  He watches as his long time friend Changmin sigh and cover holds his hand over his own forehead. His lips are pursed and he closes his eyes as if holding pain. 

"I'm only reminding you as a friend."

"I know Kyu," Changmin sighs again. "But this isn't as simple as it looks. You'll have to trust me on this one." 

There is a dredging feeling in his chest as he plants his face into the palms of his hands. How can he get Kyuhyun to trust him when he cannot even trust himself? Although he has tried to avoid her and had given her space. It seems like there is no use as the damage is done. He clasps his hands infront of his lips as in exasperation. No matter how he thinks it through, he is unable to work out how to fix this horrible mistake.