Haven't Lived

In a Thousand Words or Less...

Fandom: Uniq
Pairing: Yixuan/Sungjoo
Rating: PG
Comments/Warings: Is paired with Like Sunshine, this will make more sense if you read that first.

-

Kim Sungjoo wasn’t exactly thrilled when his parents told him that they were all moving to China because of a promotion his dad got at his job. Apparently it was a big deal, he was going to be a vice-something-or-other at the company headquarters in the China branch of the company. That was all well and good, Sungjoo supposes and, yes, he realizes that jobs are important especially when they are the main source of income for the family (since his mom doesn’t work) but did they even stop to think about how this is going to uproot Sungjoo’s teen-aged life? These were his important years and now he’s being shipped off to an entirely new place. It wasn’t just moving to another city, it was whole other country where the main language spoken was not something Sungjoo knew well looking at his less than perfect scores in Mandarin. He could get by…Maybe.

So, no, he wasn’t the happiest camper when he had to say goodbye to all of his friends, or telling his best friend Seungyoun that he would skype him everyday because he couldn’t just come over anymore, or packing, and then finally getting on a plane to go to China. He wasn’t happy but he took it well, if he could say so himself. He didn’t throw any tantrums or straight up refuse to go, he went quietly (which might have been worse to his parents, considering his talkative nature) and arrived quietly and thought to himself that he would just live quietly in China until he could finally go back home. But if you knew anything about Kim Sungjoo, you knew that he wasn’t the type to stay quiet for long. He always has something to say, even if he didn’t know what he was talking about. Even Seungyoun laughed at him over the phone when Sungjoo told him his new philosophy and laughed even harder when Sungjoo informed him that he didn’t think he would be so hard to keep him mouth shut.

He was actually doing a pretty good job until his first day of school and then it all just went to hell. The teachers were welcoming (a few even spoke Korean pretty well and were going to help him around), his classmates were nice and they tried to talk to him no matter how much he could understand or not (there was even a boy, Wenhan, who went to international school in Korea for awhile and spoke it better than most people Sungjoo knew) and then there was him. Him being Zhou Yixuan, the boy who always had a notebook open, writing down things unknown to Sungjoo. He would give anything to know what kind of words Yixuan didn’t want to tell the rest of the world (though he definitely wouldn’t understand any of it). The minute Sungjoo laid eyes on him, he was pretty sure his world stopped for a minute. Freezing time for a small second that lasted likes hours to Sungjoo before speeding up in a rush to catch up. And then Yixuan over to him, their eyes meeting and the smile that spreads across the Chinese boy’s lips makes Sungjoo want to throw up in a good kind of way.

“Holy …” Sungjoo mutters under his breath, the teacher catches it anyways. She tilts her head and asks him something in Korean, it takes him a minute to understand Korean again or anything but Yixuan. But he shakes his head, giving her a soft ‘sorry’ in Chinese. She thankfully lets it go and directs him to a seat that was one seat to the right and one seat back from Yixuan (and also right next to Wenhan). That was the seat he sat in and stared in stupefying wonder at Yixuan, the person who made him want to scream and shake things violently because he was too perfect for Sungjoo’s brain to handle. And as he stared, he thought that moving to China wasn’t so bad anymore (and he was more motivated than ever to learn Mandarin since hearing Yixuan stumbling over anyeonghaeseyo when he tried to greet him, if they can’t talk in Korean then Sungjoo will just have to learn Mandarin) and later when he told Seungyoun over skype his new feelings about his new residence, his friend asked him why. He only smiled, shrugging the question off with a laugh but what he really wanted to tell his best friend… Is that he didn’t think he was really living until he laid eyes on the perfection that was Zhou Yixuan.