Her

With love, Chanyeol

The door opens and closes, she hears the shuffling of feet from the kitchen and hurries towards the door way to welcome him home. Sure enough, she sees him in the process of taking off his shoes and smiles at him, "Welcome home." she says and he looks up to smile back at her; it was a brief kind of smile, acknowledging her presence but it wasn't the same as before... if she didn't know any better, she would've thought it looked sort of forced.

 

"How was your day?" she asks as she approaches him to take his briefcase and coat. He sighs heavily but keeps the smile on his face, "Tiring..." he answers, "but, I have good news; I got the job" and her smile widens into a grin, she tackles him in a hug while extending her congratulatory praises and while his hug was not as tight as they used to be, she brushes it off and thinks that it was just because of his exhaustion.

 

The timing was perfect for the events of the evening, she had prepared a small dinner feast for the both of them since it was a special night. Like every night, they both eat dinner over a candle light seeing as it had been some sort of tradition since they lived together that he had started and she carried it on. He quietly ate his food and so did she; however, every now and then she would glance up at him as if expecting something, maybe a simple greeting but with every passing minute and every clueless face he showed her, she was beginning to lose hope and her disappointment was slowly consuming her.

 

He wouldn't forget, she tells herself, he's probably doing it on purpose.

 

But dinner was almost done and still there was nothing. So, she just took it upon herself to go on ahead just incase he was expecting her to go on first. With a tight lipped smile, she greets him "Happy Anniversary"

 

He suddenly stops chewing on his food and looks up, a little surprised with the greeting but that was not what hurt her... it was the clueless look in his eyes that did the job. He did forget and he apologized for it over and over again, reasoning that he had been so caught up with looking for a job that he forgot and ends it with a promise that he will make it up to her and like so, she forgives him and builds up her trust once more.

 

"By the way," she calls out to him while she washed the dishes in the sink, "mom called earlier, she said that she wants us to come over for the weekend"

 

He shuts the fridge and gives her a guilty look, "I can't go. Sorry, the company runs on a twenty-four seven system and my shift starts tomorrow until Monday"

 

"It's alright" she smiles, trying her best to hide her disappointment yet again "I'll just go ahead and see her then? I, kind of, want to catch up to her anyway... it's been awhile since I last went home"

 

"Are you sure? I mean, if you want, I can drive you there" he offers but she refuses it "I'll be fine, you just focus on work while I'm gone. Okay?"

 

He smiles at her understanding and walks over to her, he wraps his arms around her and buries his face on the crook of her neck. She shuts her eyes and takes in the moment, cherishing the few seconds that he had been so kind to give her, she basks in the silence and warmth of his arms that she hadn't felt in a long while. She doesn't remember the last time that they had a moment like this, a lot has changed in the six years that they had been together.

 

She had been good at turning a blind eye to everything wrong there was with them both but at the end of every day, the hole in her chest slowly grew and the dreadful feeling of emptiness and unexplainable pain would remind her that she was not as numb as she thought she was.

 

As the weekend arrives, she finds herself standing at her old home. It had been quite awhile since she had left, six years later and all was still the same; their front lawn was well-maintained and so was the house, save for the few installments that she remembers her mom telling her about while she was still away for college. "By the way, there are letters waiting for you in your room; I was going to send them over to you while you were still in college but you seldom called and I would always forget" her mother informs her and chuckles at her own silliness, "Silly me... anyway, why don't you get yourself settled in while I make us lunch?"

 

"Alright" she smiles at her mom and gives the woman a brief hug before she walks up to her room.

 

Nostalgia hits her when she opens the hardwood door; it had been the same as she had left it. She smiles as she remembers the good old times while she was still in high school, all the nights she crammed studying for tests, projects and the other nights where she would spend it watching movies or jsut randomly talking about things with her bestfriend.

 

What ever happened to Chanyeol?

 

He had higher GPA scores compared to her, she wonders if he got into that university he wanted; maybe he has already graduated and finally has a stable job, maybe he's finally one of those tech geniuses at a really big company or something, it has been six years already and surely, Chanyeol couldn't have wasted his time. From the corner of her eye, she spots the letters that her mom had been talking about, she gets up from her seat and walks towards her dresser, picking up one that seemed to have stood out the most.

 

If you're reading this, it means six years have already passed.

 

Her hands grow shaky as she reads the contents of the letter and the tears that she had been holding back finally fall as her eyes land on the last written words at the very bottom of the page. She could feel her heart beating fast, her breathing going short as she feels a large weight upon her chest, she felt horrible. How could she have missed it? How could she have been so naive all those years in highschool?