Chapter 2

The Struggle

Jungkook couldn't remember when he had actually fallen asleep after Jin had retired to his room. All he remembered was listening to Taehyung talk about a new expansion they were doing to the park down the road. Jungkook didn't know how that could be possibly be interesting for anybody but the ajummah and ajushis around so he just assumed that Taehyung was a special case.  

 

What was more mind boggling for our Jungkook though was the amount of sleeping people around him when he woke. He was sure that when he had fallen asleep it had only been him, Jin, and Taehyung in the apartment. He was shocked, though, to find a young man sleeping at the opposite end of the sofa from him, and two more on the floor. He glanced over to Taehyung who was still crashed on the love seat. He wanted to wake the sleeping man but chose not to as the guy that was sharing the sofa with him started to stir.  

 

Jungkook contemplated pretending to be asleep once again but he wasn't sure how that was going to help. Not to mention, the man's feet had just taken up the place where his head had once rested before.  


The man grunted slightly, opening one eye to look at Jungkook. "If you are awake, please move. My neck is getting a crick."

 

Jungkook blinked. He stared at the man in complete awe. He wasn't sure how someone could have such nerve to talk that way to the person who had occupied the sofa first. He assumed though that this was another one of those guys that Jin had mentioned just dropping by. Jungkook just chose to keep the peace and stood up.  

 

"Thanks, kid." The male grumbled and then cuddled down into a more comfortable position.' 

 

Jungkook rolled his eyes. Maybe he wasn't that bad but he was certainly scarey. He hobbled to the kitchen, his throat suddenly feeling rather dry. Maybe he had slept with his mouth open - it wouldn't be the first time.  

 

"Ah, Good Morning!!" 

 

Jungkook jumped and spun around. He winced, regretting slamming so much weight on his foot. He faltered in his footing, nearly falling if it hadn't been for the counter behind him.  

 

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare ya, man." The person laughed brightly, scratching the back of his head. He had obviously just exited the shower, as his hair was still dripping water all over the place.  

 

Jungkook shook his head. "It's all cool." He stated. 

 

"I'm Hoseok." The man offered out a hand brightly.  

 

"Jungkook." The younger shook Hoseok's hand, noting the firmness in the man's grip. If there was anything Jungkook had observed first about him, it was Hoseok's confidence. It seemed to radiate off of him.  

 

"Nice to meet you!!" Hoseok flashed him a huge grin that filled up half his face. "Don't be too jumpy. Nobody here if gonn eat you." After grabbing a mug out of the cabinet and filling it with coffee, Hoseok strode out of the small kitchen area and to the sofa where the man that had kicked Jungkook off still slept. Hoseok slapped the man's calves and took a seat at the end of the sofa once he had lifted them.  

 

Jungkook sighed. It seemed as though everybody was at home here. Just what kind of place was this? 

 

Kookie!!!”  

 

Jungkook let out a yelp as he felt a pair of arms thrown around his shoulders. “What the-.” He stopped mid sentence once he realized it was Taehyung. ”What are you doing?” His voice was almost demanding in tone. He was not used to close contact with others unless it was fist to face.  

 

“I’m saying good morning, duh……” Taehyung laughed, his deep voice sending shivers down Jungkook spine.  

 

Jungkook shrugged out of the orange haired man's arms. "I don't like skinship." He stated in a rather cold way. The look on Taehyung's face almost made him

regret it. 

 

"Okay...." Taehyung's shoulder slumped. "You may or may not have to remind me a couple times." He looked like a kicked puppy and it was seriously getting to

Jungkook. He almost told him it was okay for him to hug him just out of guilt but Taehyung spoke up before he had the chance to open his mouth. "You going to school today?" 

 

Jungkook glanced down at the cup of coffee that he had just poured for himself. He saw his reflection and frowned slightly. He didn't want to go to school. He hated it. It was serious hell to him. "No." 

 

"You should go." Namjoon stated at his strode into the now crowded kitchen area. "You need to at least graduation from high school." 

 

Jungkook opened his mouth to protest but Namjoon continued.  

 

"Trust me, you will regret it if don't." Namjoon made eye contact with Jungkook as if to assure him of his sincerity. "You might get stuck like me, working a graveyard shift at a gas station with a horrible boss."  

 

Jungkook blinked. "You mean...." 

 

Namjoon's nod answered his question. "I'm telling you...and you too, Taehyung, you both need to graduate before giving up on school." 

 

Jungkook turned to Taehyung with a shocked expression. "You are in high school too?"  


Taehyung nodded his head. "Yeah, I'm in the same class as you, silly."  

 

"What?"  

 

Taehyung laughed. "You know who V is?"  

 

Jungkook frowned for a moment. V? Wasn't that the crazy kid in the back of the class. The one that tends to sleep through everything but get straight As in everything? The one that is always climbing trees saying that he is trying to connect to birds so he can learn how to fly? The V who remains an absolute mystery to the entire campus? That V?  

 

"That's me!" Taehyung grinned, jabbing a thumb at himself as if he was proud of his status.  

 

"No way!" Jungkook shook his head. "V had black hair, you have orange hair!"  

 

"I wear a wig, Kookie." Taehyung laughed. "I know very well that unnatural hair colors are outlawed at school. I have to hide it." 

 

"Why did you dye your hair if you know that the school bans it?" 

 

Taehyung's eyes seemed to grow cold but his smile stayed on his face as if it were a mask. "I dunno. I guess I just like this color." 

 

"That makes no sense...." Jungkook frowned with a slight smile on his face.  

 

"Yeah, well since when did V make sense?"  

 

Jungkook laughed lightly and shook his head. Now all of the nonsense that Taehyung had been spouting was starting to make sense in a strange nonsensical kind of way. "Good point." He pushed past the two of them, his cold face back on. 

 

"So come on," Taehyung grabbed his arm. "Go to school with me!!"  

 

"No, you don't want to be seen with me." Jungkook shook his head and shook Taehyung off once again. "I am a loser. You can't afford to be seen with me."  

 

"Aren't I also seen as a loser?" Taehyung frowned. 

 

"Not in the way I am." Jungkook shook his head and hobbled a few more steps. 

 

"Come on, Jungkook, go with me!"  

 

Jungkook frowned. He seriously didn't want to go. Why did this guy not understand that he wanted just as much distance kept from his personal life as with the others? He just wanted to escape too. "Fine." He sighed. "I'll go but I'll go after you. You can go first. I have to stop by somewhere first and then I will be to school." 

 

Taehyung nodded his head. "Okay! I'll see you at school then!" With that he pulled a brown haired wig out of practically nowhere and shoved it over his obnoxious hair somehow making ti seem natural. He then turned away and rushed out the door.  

 

Jungkook stared at the door as it slammed. He let out a heavy and nearly jumped as he felt a hand on his shoulder. He glanced up to see Namjoon with a grave face. It was almost as if he had seen the lie as it came out of Jungkook's mouth. Jungkook stared into Namjoon's eyes. They seemed so serious but at the same time like a father's when he know what his son is doing is wrong but is best for him. He squeezed Jungkook's shoulder in a comforting way before walking to his bedroom.