Chapter 1

The Struggle

Comfort. That was the first thing that crossed Jungkook's mind when woke up. He still had yet to open his eyes. He was sure if he wanted to. He was enjoying this feeling and was to afraid of opening his eyes to have it just disappear. Maybe he had finally died. Perhaps this was heaven? He highly doubted it though. It all felt to real so he knew that this moment was going to pass eventually. Might as well get it over with.  

 

Jungkook slowly opened his eyes. All he was saw was the back of the brown leather sofa he was laying on. It was cut in a place or two showing a little bit of the stuffing that padded the inside. It wasn't repulsive though. The softness it offered was like a warm hug that he had been longing for as long as he could remember.  

 

"You are awake?" A deep voice sounded from behind him. 

 

Jungkook sat up slowly, grabbing his throbbing head in his hands.  

 

"Hey, hey." He shoulder's were softly cupped in two big warm hands. "Take it easy, kiddo. Those guys gave you quite a beating." 

 

Jungkook glanced up to face the man in front of him.  

 

The man had a slightly square face with small eyes. His mouth was also small but was stretched into a small smile. His blonde hair was unruly with his black roots peeking out. "What's your name, kid?" 

 

"Jungkook." The young highschool replied. "Who are you?" 

 

"The name is Namjoon." The man answered as he leaned back onto a footstool. "What did you do to get such a beating?" 

 

Jungkook glanced down to his bandaged hands and splinted ankle. "I'd rather not talk about it." 

 

"I respect that." Namjoon nodded his head. "Take it easy, Jungkook. You are safe here." He stood up. "I have to head out to work. There is food in the kitchen if you are hungry. The bathroom is over there. Careful when you stand up, that foot is really bad. Another guy will come down later to check on you." With that he turned away to leave.  

 

"Wait!!" Jungkook gasped 

 

"What?" Namjoon turned around, his hand on the door knob.  

 

"Y-y-you..." Jungkook gulped, slightly panicking inside. Just what kind of guy was this? Wasn't Jungkook just a stranger? How could he trust him in his house on his own. "You are just gonna leave me here...in your home...alone?" 


"Why?" Namjoon blinked. "Should I be worried? Are you the type of guy to steal something?" 

 

Jungkook shook his head. "No, but-"  

 

"Then, I'll see you later, kiddo. Chill out." Namjoon then turned away, opened the door and was gone.  

 

Jungkook just stared at the closed door for a good long time. He was still in disbelief that this guy was just going to leave a strange man in his house unattended. He shook his head. Either he was just dumb or a scary gangster that would hunt him down if he tried anything.  

 

The young man decided to just lay there for a little while, staring at his surroundings. The apartment was a small one. He was laying in the little living room which consisted of the sofa he was laying on, the foot stool by his side and loveseat across from him. The kitchen was immediately to his right. Like the walls, it was also off white. On the cupboards he caught a small cupcake stickers that looked like they had once belonged to a preschool girl. Maybe Namjoon had a girlfriend?  

 

There were stairs on the opposite of the apartment that lead up to what Jungkook only guessed to Namjoon's storage place but he wasn't sure as there was a curtain covering that area. 

 

Jungkook eventually chose to stand up. His throat was terribly parched and all he wanted a sip of water. He was shaky but the splint that his foot was in was hold it steady. He limped to the kitchen. He opened the first cabinet he came to, searching for a cup. He only saw plates and bowls. They were all different pastel colors but definitely not cups so he shut the door and moved on to the next one. Nope, pots and pans were the residents of that cubby hole.  

 

The third try was finally the cups but he was shocked the moment he laid eyes on them. Yes, there were some normal glasses but there were also others that were colored pastel colors with little cartoons of cute teddy bears and...cupcakes. Jungkook chose one of the plain glass cups, opting not to risk taking a kids cup.  

 

He filled it and then made his way back to the sofa, laying the cup on a small entable at his head by the arm of the sofa. He laid there for the longest just staring at the ceiling. As strange as this apartment was, he felt at home here. There was nothing hostile about it. Well, aside from the curtained off upstairs but there was no way that Jungkook was getting up there with his foot in the condition it was in.  

 

He finally decided to close his eyes and get some sleep. He felt safe here so sleep overcame him quickly.  

 

(^_^) 

 

When Jungkook awoke for the second time, he was greeted by the smelled of something good. He wasn't sure exactly what it was but it had to have been a fish dish of some sort. He could also pick out a kimchi stew. He opened his eyes and shakeily rose to a sitting position. 

 

The person in the kitchen was a new face. The man in question was extremely beautiful in appearance. His face have a perfect 'V' shape to it, his lips were normal and delicate. His eyes were almond in shape and soft. When he caught Jungkook's eye, he gave him a warm, motherly smile. "Ah, you are awake!" His laughed was soft too. 

 

Jungkook gulped as he nodded his head. "Who...?" 

 

"Ah, I'm Seokjin." The man grinned. "Everybody calls me Jin though and you can too." 

 

"I'm Jungkook." 

 

"Are you feeling better Jungkook?" Jin asked as he turned back to his cooking.  

 

Jungkook nodded his head but realized that that wasn't going to answer the question when Jin wasn't even looking at him. "Yes, I am."  

 

"Good. Is the splint holding up?" Jin turned off the burners and strode to Jungkook's side. 

 

Jungkook glanced down at the item in question. He wasn't to sure of that. He didn't know head or tails about medical stuffs. All he knew was that his foot felt okay so he nodded his head again. 

 

"I did it in such a rush this morning." Jin laughed, checking the positioning of the ace bandage. "It seems to have held up pretty well. "I'll rewrap it after you eat a little bit. Wait, here, I'll bring you a bowl of soup. You like kimchi stew?"  

 

Jungkook nodded his head. As hungry as he was right now, he was sure that he would anything whether he liked it or not. "Is Namjoon here?" 

 

Jin shook his head. "No, Namjoon works a graveyard shift so he won't be home 'til late. I'll be here though so if you need anything. I think some others maybe coming too." He sighed. "I never know who will show up for dinner." As if on cue the door opened and the sound of shoes getting kicked off where heard.  

 

Jungkook glanced around Jin to see who it was. The first thing that he thought was that he looked familiar. He wasn't sure from where but everything from his head to his toes. His face was tiny but in a squishy cute sort of way. When he caught sight of Jin his small mouth suddenly stretched into a large rectangular grin.  

 

"Jin-hyung!" He stretched out his arms and enveloped him in a hug.  

 

Jin laughed. "Welcome back. Hey, I want you to meet our latest friend. This is Jungkook." 

 

The man blinked and glanced down to Jungkook. He frowned slightly. "Jung...kook...." He muttered, his face unreadable.  

 

 "Err..." Jungkook wasn't sure what to do. He offered out his hand. "Nice to meet you?"  

 

The man nodded his head. "Taehyung. My name....is Taehyung."  

 

Jungkook smiled at him. "Nice to meet you!"  

 

Taehyung suddenly looked happier. "Chipmunk!" 

 

"Eh?" 

 

"You look like a chipmunk." Taehyung stated as if it was the most normal thing in the world.  

 

Jungkook blinked, not sure if he was supposed to take that as an insult or a compliment. "Thanks??"   

 

Taehyung just nodded his head, standing up to rush into the small kitchen space after Jin. "Hyung, I'm so hungry!!" He whined. "Why do you always make kimchi stew when I am over? Why can't you make something a little different sometime?" 

 

"Why don't you make something different then?" Jin put a hand on his hip, challenging the orange hair man. 

 

Taehyung bit his lip. "You know what, I really like kimchi stew." He gave a small 'heheh' as he took his bowl from Jin 

 

"That is what I thought." Jin turned around to stir the stew again before dishing up another bowl 

 

Taehyung made his way to Jungkook's side, crawling onto the couch next to him. "Jin is mean sometimes. Don't get on his bad side, trust me." He whispered before shoveling have his bowl down his mouth.  

 

Jungkook nodded his head slightly. "Okay." He wanted to say that he understood what Taehyung was trying to say but he couldn't. Jin on the outside seemed like such a nice person. He was so pretty like a model straight out of a magazine. It was his eyes. Jin's eyes seemed far away and distant. He gave off a feeling of being close to people in a motherly sort of way but at the same time he kept a shield up.  

 

Jungkook shrugged his shoulders and turned around to Taehyung was no longer sitting beside him. Instead he was standing by the window staring down at the lit up city below as he slowly spooned the red stew into his mouth. Now that he really looked at Taehyung, he also looked like he had a past. Jungkook wasn't sure of what exactly it was that he saw in the young man's eye but it seemed as though he was...well, alone.  

 

Taehyung turned his head around to catch Jungkooks eyes. He gave him a weak smile. "Jungkook..." He sighed. "I'm not going to ask what happened to you, okay. Just know that no matter what happened, you have a friend in me."  

 

Jungkook frowned slightly. He wasn't sure where that one had come from. It seemed to random and almost as though it was part of his imagination because the very next moment Taehyung was grinning like a mad man, jumping around the room like a jack rabbit making random noises.  

 

"Relax, Taeyung." Jin came around and sat down on ground by Jungkook's foot. "You are going to break something if you aren't careful."  

 

Taehyung just kept on jumping, though he did manage to keep himself in one spot where he wouldn't hit anything.  

 

Jungkook's attention was taken off the orange haired man when he felt a shock of pain coming from his foot. He glanced down to see that Jin was gingerly unwrapping the ace bandage.  

 

"Just bare for me for a little bit." Jin stated. "I have to make sure that there is nothing going wrong with the healing process." 

 

Jungkook nodded his head, setting aside his empty bowl which was quickly picked up by Taehyung and taken to the sink. "Do what you have to. I'm trusting you." 

 

Jin smiled sweetly. "Good, trust is a good thing." He propped Jungkook's foot on his crossed legs, pulling a clean bandage out of his black knapsack 

 

Jungkook blinked. He had a feeling that Jin meant more in those words than he let on. He watched as Jin rebandanged his foot, being careful of the bruising and purple mottling of the skin. He couldn't help but notice how Jin handled the injury with such professional care. Jungkook was sure that he had some sort of medical background. He wanted to ask but he honored the unspoken agreed to no ask about each other.  

 

Maybe that was why Jungkook found himself so at home here. Not only was it the warm environment but the feeling of being accepted as he appeared in front of them.  

 

"There." Jin's soft voice broke the younger out of his trance. "All fixed up." He clipped his bag shut and then stood up. "You can stay the night here if you would like." 

 

"Thank you." Jungkook stared down at his hands as he picked his finger nails. "Thank you for all your kindness."  

 

Jin laid a hand on Jungkook's head and ruffled his hair. "Get some rest."