Summer of 2010 - Part 4

[HIATUS] Hits & Misses

        There’s a kind of tension in the air that Jang Dong Woo doesn’t like. Especially when it’s coming from two people he’s supposed to be working with.

 

        The tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife and yes he’s insane enough to make slashing motions to make a point.

 

        “Stop acting silly, Dong Woo...” Kim Sung Gyu, founder and president of the music club commands.

 

        Dong Woo doesn’t mind being reprimanded just as long as it makes the tension somehow decipitate.

 

        “I don’t know why you’re so against me taking Lee Soo Jung out to lunch...”

 

         And if you aren’t yet aware, Jang Dong Woo hates being caught in a tension he has no idea about. “Are you fighting over Lee Soo Jung? That freshman, Soo Jung?”

 

        As always he gets ignored.

 

        “She doesn’t like you...” Kim Sung Gyu leaves it at that, picking up his bag and exits the music room.

 

        “So I guess we’ll have to cut this music club meeting short, but if you want—“

 

        Lee Ho Won up ad leaves as well, cutting Dong Woo mid-sentence.

 

        He sighs. There’s a school presentation happening in two weeks and their club hasn’t done anything productive. He doesn’t know what’s up with two of his club members but he won’t sit here and do nothing.

 

        Well, maybe he will for a bit. He kinda feels tired.

 

~0~

 

        Lee Soo Jung is currently hanging out with Lee Mi Joo and a girl (Seo Ji Soo, is her name she thinks) from the dance club. She’s not part of the club, but she shares a few classes with the girls so they do hang out sometimes.

 

        Mi Joo is doing some silly dance moves making them and even someone from the nearby tables laugh.

 

        Sometimes Soo Jung wishes she’s equally charming. Lee Mi Joo is pretty though, so regardless if she’s doing weird things or not people would still gravitate towards her.

 

        The familiar sound of her phone breaks their giggle-fest. Resonating from the stack of books she has on the table.

 

        “Namja Chingu?” Ji Soo looks curiously at the name on the caller id.

 

        Lee Soo Jung shakes her head furiously, clearly flustered.

 

        Her companions exchange knowing smirks and started teasing. Urging her to go and answer the call.

 

        Too embarrassed to do so, she cancels the call instead. This is the first time since they transferred to Seoul that Kim Sung Gyu has called her. They usually stay within SMS and KaTalk conversations.

 

        There was a time when they used to call each other all the time when they were way younger. It’s mostly about mundane things and daily reminders. Her parents would roll their eyes good naturedly at her as she trips on her own feet rushing towards their home phone.

 

        The two girls are laughing, still teasing her. She sends a quick message to Sung Gyu making a lame excuse.

 

        “Busy doing what?”

 

        All three froze on their spot. Mi Joo and Ji Soo hurriedly grabbed their things. Mi Joo even has the audacity to wink at Soo Jung before dragging Ji Soo towards the nearby building.

 

        Atleast Ji Soo was nice enough to wish her good luck. She probably needs it.

 

        “School work... We were just taking a break...” Soo Jung clears away her things, preparing to bolt if the need arises.

 

        “Don’t lie... I can see you from where I was standing...”

 

        “Why call then instead of approaching me like a normal person would...” She knows she’s getting antsy without good reason, but it’s obvious he’s teasing.

 

        “And embarrass you further?” He casually sits next to her only to grab her phone from her hands and scroll through her contacts.

 

        She tried to grab it back but it seems like he’s intent with playing with her. “It’s my phone, give it back...”

 

        “I will, I just want to see what name you have mine saved under...”

 

        Kim Sung Gyu scrolls through his long time friend’s contact list smiling at how ridiculous some of her friends were named. One that stood out was Madame Sweet & Sour, for the ahjumma who sells fruits near their old school. Then there’s her high school friends saved under Craziest People.

 

        He finally got to a familiar number. He looks at her eyebrow raised. “Plain...”

 

        “Huh?”

 

        “Gyu... my number is saved under Gyu?”

 

        “Why? It’s your name, isn’t it?” She tsk’s, snatching her phone back.

 

        He stares as she fiddles with her phone. They’ve been friends since they were kids. He was expecting she’d maybe make it a bit special.

 

        “There I changed it...”

 

        “Huh?”

 

        The phone is back to his hand. Gyu was deleted replaced by a weird looking emoticon.

 

        “What is this (T^T) supposed to mean?”

 

        “That’s how your face looks right now...” She laughs looking at her phone proudly. “Does that make you feel special?”

 

        Somehow it does.

 

A/N: I'm bad at keeping promises. I was supposed to write a long-ish chapter for the last part of Summer but then again it felt like it was revealing too much, there are four seasons so I need to make adjustments. 

I hope this doesn't seem forced. I'm still under medication (nope that's not supoosed to be an excuse to having a crappy update, mianhae)