Summer of 2010 - Part 1

[HIATUS] Hits & Misses

Part One

 

        It was one of those humid summers in Gwangju but to newly high school graduate (and soon freshman student of S University) Lee Soo Jung, the weather is as nice as spring.

 

        She considers her acceptance to the prestigious school as her spring. The leaves have turned, giving way to new ones. Another beginning, a different chapter to her life story.

 

        Getting into that university is an ultimate goal. She’s now able to live her dream. The road to her success as every other senior would’ve experienced firsthand was tough. It took having just two hours of sleep sometimes barely even sleeping to be able to squeeze in exam reviews on top of a huge pile of senior school work.

 

        To others this might be overwhelming; to her it’s a process, something that she needs to endure to be able to achieve her dream. Not saying that she didn’t feel the least bit pressured about everything. She did. She just has a very strong group that cheers her on every time she felt like she wanted to give up.

 

        And the person standing at the bottom of their stairs is one (should she say, the most important one)

 

        “You’re that excited to see me?”

 

        “You wish!” she exclaims and makes a face.

 

        “Whatever~ So, is our Lee Soo Jung ready to venture out of Gwangju and into Seoul?” He gently teases as he takes her travelling bag from her.

 

        “Of course I am… I’m a little nervous though…”

 

        “Just a little?”

 

        “Ah, fine! I’m really really REALLY over my head nervous, right now… What if I’m not able to adjust…”

 

        “That’s not going to happen… And besides you have me, right?”

 

        She used to be all flustered when he says those kind of things. But she’s learned to keep herself calm and act nonchalant.

 

        “That’s right! You have to keep me company, or else…” she raises a fist and makes what she believes her most threatening glare.

 

        He laughs, eyes disappearing into crescents. He messes with her hair as he usually does when he’s amused with her antics and slings an arm around her shoulder eventually putting her in a headlock. She barely hears him say ‘My Soo Jungie’s a college student now, all grown up and making threats’

 

        She thanks the heavens she’s in a headlock or he’d probably notice how red her face is upon hearing that.

 

~0~

 

        Her entire family accompanies her to the bus terminal. It’s like a scene at an airport. She’s grateful that her family is making a big deal of this. But seriously, they’re crying too much.

 

        “Guys, I’m just going to Seoul. It’s not like I’m leaving Korea…”

 

        Her Dad hugs her tight and starts crying again. Her Mom tries to pry him away. “Jung’s right, it’s just Seoul. We can visit her during the weekend, anyway…”

 

        “Ugly’s going to be fine. She won’t probably attract anyone there… Hillbilly that she is…” Her younger brother’s has always been supportive.

 

        “Thank you Soo Hwan… That gets back my confidence in your concern for me…” She would have loved to strangle him, but there isn’t enough time.

 

        “Sung Gyu-ya, I trust you to take care of our Soo Jung… If she goes home missing even a head of hair…” Her Dad makes a neck slicing gesture. Sung Gyu knowing how serious the threat is swallows hard.

 

“Ye… I’ll… I’ll keep that in mind…”

 

“I really need to go… Come visit me, okay? Promise me that you’ll visit…”

 

Her parents nod, letting go of her and letting her get into the bus.

 

        As the bus pulls away, she keeps in her panic. Everything will be fine. She repeats in her head.