The Hard Working Guy

Roomie

I woke up this morning because of the chill I feel. I checked my alarm clock; it was 5 AM in the morning. I wondered where this chill wind came from until I saw the door was wide open. Why the door was opened? I asked myself and look around, nothing was missing, only Dongwan was. I yawned.. Oh, probably he's sleep walking. I don't know whether he has that habit or not, yet I wont be surprised if he had.  I closed the door and got back to sleep until it was 6.30 AM when my alarm finally rang. I woke up and realize that Dongwan has not returned yet. I planned to search for him after breakfast, because I wouldn't have enough energy to find him without breakfast. But to my surprise, he returned to the room when I was changing. He was wearing his t-shirt, jacket with sweat pants and all covered in sweat.

"Where have you been?" I asked.

"Umm.. Jogging.. Why?"

"I thought you were sleep walking," I grinned.

"Eyyy.. Why thinking of me so badly?" he said while punching my arm lightly.

"Shall we have breakfast now?" I said.

"You go. I already have mine."

"Huh, really, where?"

"I was running when I saw a food stall 2 blocks from here. I couldn't help myself.." he said shyly.

I chuckled, "so what's the use of jogging?"

His face turned red "I..I'll take shower first. I must smell really bad" He said.

"Go ahead. I'm going to the cafeteria"

"Sure. I'll see you in the class."

All of the basketball team were questioning where's Dongwan when we have breakfast and I told them he's already having his breakfast during jogging this morning, which cause them to laugh.

He happened to go jogging again the next day, and he passed breakfast again. ==============================================================

It's been a week since Dongwan started jogging, and just like the first and second days he always skip breakfast. Something was not right, I thought..

Then I remembered, the dorm manager said his family was poor, I was thinking why would he spend his money eating breakfast outside while our school was providing various kind of free, healthy food each morning.

I got curious and decided to follow him the next morning.

It was 5AM in the morning; he had washed his face while I was pretending to sleep. He went outside the room, leaving the door open as usual. I followed him, and he didn't go to the school main gate, instead he went to the bike-parking place. He took his bike and went outside the school, damn.. if he's taking his bike, he'll move faster and I can easily lose him. Luckily I used to borrow Jin's bike, so I remember his lock combination.

"Jinah, lemme borrow your bike" "ok, hyung, just take it." I talked to myself, knowing Jin would always let me use his bike.

 

I carefully was following Dongwan. After around 1 km from school he stopped at a small bookstore, the bookstore was open and the owner seemed to know him. He talked to the owner, and then the owner gave him several exemplars of newspaper. He signed some documents and started to move with his bike. I mounted Jin's bike and following him to the rich neighborhood area in the city. Apparently he's delivering newspapers to this area. After delivering the newspaper to twenty houses, or something, he made turn to the different part of the city, to the shabbier part. Then, he parked his bike in the parking area of a shabby apartments, saying hi to the security guard like he already know him really well and went upstairs to the fourth floor. I have to follow him really carefully so that he wouldn't notice me.  At the forth floor, he knocked on the door of the 4D unit and said "Mom, it's me. Open the door". And a pretty lady, I'm assuming in her 40s opened the door, accompanied with a (I must say very cute) brown puppy. "Come in. Oh, you look so tired. Here, have a drink, I'm preparing your favorite menu." She said while closing the door.

 

So he went to his house for breakfast with his mom. Why didn't he just tell me the truth? There's nothing to hide about.

I went back without waiting for him.

He came back to the dorm just after I finish my bath, I only have my towel wrapped around my waist when he entered the room.

"Hi," he said. All body covered with sweat.

"You've been working as newspaper boy, aren't you?" I confronted him.

He was taken aback.

"You.. No..", he answered, "why would you think that I do that?"

"Don't lie." "I saw you this morning." I replied.

"You.. don't tell me you're following me?" I sense anger in his tone.

"Yea, I did. But Dongwan, listen.." I put a firm grip to both of his shoulder.

"I know you are working and I know you were having breakfast with your mom. But what I don't understand is why you should lie to me, to us.. The school didn't forbid you to work." I let go of what inside my mind.

"I.." Dongwan started, his face was all red and he tried to avoid my eye contact.

He moved away from my handgrip.

"No, seriously, there's nothing wrong if you are taking a part time job.  I did too." Yes, I'm a freelance model anyway.

He was a bit surprised. He walked toward his bed, sat on it and he hung his head.

"I.. um.. I didn't know that you did that too.. I mean.. you guys are all rich.. while me.. My mom is a single mother and she works hard so that I could go to school. So I thought I should help her a bit. And yeah.. you guys having money and stuff.. I..i feel embarrassed to tell you guys that I have to work to earn extra money for living," he's playing with his hand nervously. 

"Don't be embarrassed. You should help your mom, and you do it. Nothing is wrong with that. Don’t think that we'll hate you just because of this. I know your condition; the guys know your condition. The dorm manager has told me before you enter this school. Yet we still hang around with you, right? The guys really like you, so don't worry about that. But we’ll hate you for lying tho.. " I told him sincerely.

 

I am actually pretty amazed by him, he manage to work everyday while having school activities and joining 2 clubs as well. Plus I feel like he really has a positive attitude even though he's having a hard time. I mean look at those (sometimes annoying) smiles he always have. But I will not compliment him; my pride won't let me, especially when he's a bit annoying like Dongwan. Besides, I'm not different from him, if I’m taking my model job, I’ll be busier than him.

 

He looked at me now, forming words to say. "Ukkhh.. I'm sorry for lying. I'll tell the truth to the other guys too. If I tell the truth you won't hate me right? Things will still be the same? I still get to eat with you guys?" His eyes were starting to glow.

Here we go again.. I thought. I nodded twice and replied ""Of course!" And he hugged me really tight while thanking me.

"Let go of me! I was just taking a bath and you are all covered in sweat!" I pinched his cheek while struggling to let go from his hug. He let me go while chuckling. "ah, sorry..sorry.. I really forgot. Thank you for everything, Eric."

"Just go ahead and take a bath. And don't forget to tell the guys the truth at lunch."

"I will!" he said, grabbing a towel.

 

He told the guys everything during lunch. Everyone seems relieve to know the truth, Junjin complimented him for being such a good son, while Minwoo reacted to his story by saying "You are so nice for helping your mother. I really like you for who you are but please don't lie to us anymore" he kissed him lightly in the cheek and hugged him tightly not wanting to let him go. Dongwan accepted the hug with a very confused look.