There Go My Peaceful Days

Roomie

I heard the knocking sound at my door.

"Eric, are you there? Open the door, please."

That's the dorm manager's voice.

 

It's Sunday, 10 .00. I was expecting this knock.

"Yes, wait a second," I replied.

Folding the edge of my book, marking the page that I've been reading, I proceeded to open the door.

Then I saw this small guy with bright eyes, along with my dorm manager.

"OK, so Eric.. This is Dongwan. Dongwan, this is Eric. From now on you'll be roommate. Be nice to each other, eh." the dorm manager said.

This small guy grins widely when he greeted me.

"Hi, I'm going to be your room mate, my name is Kim Dongwan. From now on, please take care of me." He held out his hand, I shook his hand back.

"Hi, I'm Eric Mun." He shook my hand firmly.

"Dongwan, if you need anything, just drops by to my office, OK!"

 "OK, sir. Thank you very much." Dongwan bowed, while the dorm manager returned to his office.

This Dongwan guy wears white plain t-shirt, ripped jeans and a beanie. He looks pretty good in it. With him, there are two big boxes and a suitcase. I help him pushed the 1 box inside, while he pushed the other one. Then he drag his suitcase inside, the suitcase hit my book shelf causing the one of the trophy that I got from winning a basket ball tournament to fell free from the shelf and torn into half.

He looked in terror and deeply bowing to me to apologize.

"Ah, I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to brake it.."

"It's okay, I still have more" I said to him. Yes, I have like 7 trophies on top of my bookshelf, mostly from basketball, 1 trophy from computer game competition and another one from drawing competition. And I didn't really care if one of them is broken.

He picked up the broken trophy and said; "I'll fix this for you."

He quickly went to his side of the room, and start unloading his boxes before I could argue. He kept unloading his things and made the room a lot messier until he found a small bottle. He opened the bottle and started smearing it's liquid content to the broken part of my trophy.

"It's my gundam glue. Let it dry a bit and you can have it back. As good as new." He smiled widely.

"So, Eric. You are good with basketball?" I nodded.

"Wow, you are soo cool. I can never play basketball. I'm too clumsy.." He asked while examining the trophy that he has just fixed.

"Hmm, well, I can teach you someday if you want."

"Really? I'd love to. But hey, your name is Eric, are you from USA? No wonder you are good with basketball. I bet all kids in USA played basketball everyday."

 "Well, urr.. yes my family lives there and umm, not all kids played basketball. I just happen to like it."

"Oh.. Hmm.. If your family is in USA, why are you here in Korea? Isn't life a lot easier there? Am I right?"

"Well, I wanted to be here myself. My families are all Koreans yet I know nothing about Korea. So I ask my parents to continue my study here. They send me an allowance each month, plus I get to life in this dorm, so.. no, I don't think life is harder here."

"Ah, I see.. so how's life in dorm? I never had a boarding school before."

Why is he so noisy?

"Well, I can take you around the school after this, and you can ask me more stuff. Just unpack your things first, OK?"

"OK."

"Do you need my help to unpack?" I asked him.

"No."

"Oh, OK. I hope you don't mind if I continue reading."

"Ah, sorry, please continue it."

 

I withdraw to my bed and start reading. I glanced at him, and I saw him start unpacking his stuff. Every five seconds I could hear him screaming.

"Aahh.. my reading lamp!" and I saw his lamp was broken into two.

"Aahh, my Gundam!" the Gundam figure has lost its jetpack.

I rolled my eyes...

"Listen Dongwan, do you mind if I leave you? I think I want to read in the rooftop. If you have finished unpacking, just go to the rooftop and meet me, OK? You can use the staircase in the corner of the corridor to reach the rooftop. I'll give you tour to the school later"

"Sure."