Library

The forgotten house

Library 

Baekhyun choked. The scream. For a second, he thought it had escaped from his throat. However, he soon realised that it came from Hyuna's room. He scanned around his room. The entity was gone. Baekhyun pulled himself to his feet and heard noises in the corridor. His parents must have woken up. By the time he hobbled to Hyuna's room due to his numb legs, his parents were tending to her already.

"What happened?" Neither of them replied or even took notice of his entrance. However, Baekhyun soon realised that Hyuna was lying on the floor, trembling, possibly due to fear. 

"It...visited me." Hyuna managed to force the words out. Baekhyun turned cold. A moment ago, the entity was in his room. Was Hyuna talking about the entity wearing black wedding gown? 

"When?"

"Just...just now. It tried to whisper...in my ear...and I screamed." 

"Was it wearing black wedding gown?" Hyuna nodded her head weakly. A cold chill ran down his spine. 

~.~

The next morning, Baekhyun rouse from his slumber. The incessant ringing of the alarm clock served its purpose. He did some stretching before changing into a simple school uniform.  When he reached the dinning hall, he was surprised that Hyuna was not there yet. Hyuna was an early bird.

"Mum? Where's Hyuna?" Baekhyun asked casually as he unscrewed a jar of nutella.

"She's not feeling well. She will not be going to school today."

"Ohh..." Baekhyun decided not to probe further. He spread some nutella thinly on a piece of wholemeal bread and started munching on it. Soon, he was on his way to Oldlight High School.

The school grounds looked welcoming, students streamed in, some carrying books while others carried a sling bag. He bowed as a teacher walked past him. Things were looking great so far. After some time, he finally located his classroom, S2.1. He tried to blend in by slipping into the classroom casually. However, before he made it halfway into the classroom, all eyes were on him. He smiled awkwardly, hoping that something could happen right at that moment to divert all the attention, unfortunately, it never did. In the end, he chose a seat at the extreme right of the classroom, furthest from the teacher's table. As he began unpacking his bag, he noticed a letter placed on the underside of his table. Presuming that someone else left it behind, he pulled it out. He was surpised to see his name imprinted on the cover of the envelope. Precariously, he peeled open it.

It was a typed letter.

Library. 3.45pm.

The note was short and simple, leaving behind no traces of its author. Baekhyun was in a dilemma. He had lab lessons from 3pm to 4.30pm, it will not be convenient for him to slip out. Also, he did not know where the library was. Soon, he was contradicting his initial thoughts. Whoever wrote the letter, must have had something important to tell him. Also, how did the person even knew he would choose that seat? He decided that he still had plenty of time to make a decision. Afraid that it will slip out of his mind, he set an alarm on his watch. 

Before Baekhyun knew it, it was 3.30pm. His wrist watch started beeping and he silenced it before it earned the attention of the people around him. He heaved a sigh of relief when he realised when no one turned back to shoot him a judgmental look. He finally mustered his courage and raised his hand to catch the attention of the physics teacher. The teacher looked up and gave a slight frown, probably dismayed by the interruption.

"Sorry, I have to meet a teacher now to hand in a form. It is my first day here..." He had rehearsed this line for at least 10 times before he could verbalise it fluently. The teacher furrowed his eyebrows a little and grumpily nodded his head. Grabbing a random piece of paper from his file, Baekhyun  slipped out from the backdoor. After at least another 5 minutes, he located the library. Baekhyun looked around the library in curiosity. As it was lesson time, the library was relatively empty and quiet, making the humming of air conditioner exceptionally prominent. He sighed and settled onto a chair. He glanced around once more. Just then, a computer sitting in a whole row of computers caught his attention. The screen was blinking ceaselessly. Led by his curiosity, Baekhyun walked towards the computer. It was a webpage that greeted him, and the contents seemed to be directed at him. He was greeted by the ever familiar picture. His house.

Next, the screen blanked out and went to the next picture. It was their family photo. Soon, he realised the picture of Hyuna in the family photo was fading, leaving behind a family of three. Followed by his father, his mother and him. The screen froze for a moment. Suddenly, the screen began flickering. The picture of a woman wearing a black veil returned to the screen. Baekhyun's heart turned cold. He scanned the library but saw no one out of the ordinary. When he returned to the screen, he realised that the woman was staring straight at him, through her hollow eye sockets. Her flaky lips curled into a menacing smile. She mouthed: Watch Out! Out of the blue, his phone rang, disrupting the tranquility of the library. The screen of  the computer went blank. He looked up and saw that the librarian was shooting daggers at him. He quickly fished out his phone and exited the library to answer the call.

"Yes, mom?"

"Baekhyun...come home quick..."Baekhyun could clearly hear his mother sobbing.

"Your sister...she...she's gone..."