Figure

The forgotten house

Figure

Seeing the last sentence, Baekhyun swallowed. This was not a friendly letter on the surface, however as  he read between the lines of the message, he realised that it was a friendly reminder which was not exactly friendly. He noted the urgency of the letter and decided to discuss the matter with his parents. However, he paused. How was this letter, this unknown letter going to prove anything? He reasoned that his father's company will definitely not be happy with them if they requested a change in housing. He decided to wait for better opportunities to share the letter, now was not the time. Once again, he stuffed the letter back into his pocket and went to the living room. Hyuna was sitting at the couch watching her favourite korean dramas. Baekhyun smiled a little. At least, his sister was alright for now.

 

Night soon crept in, the trees outside the house were swaying wildly and the imminent storm seemed inevitable. The howling winds sent creeps down Baekhyun's spine but he made no intentions of displaying his concern. Their parents had prepared a hearty dinner and Baekhyun burped with satisfication. For a moment, all the troubles and worries he had were not on his mind. However, when he saw Hyuna walking past his vision, his smile faded into a distant gaze. He prayed. Maybe, everything will be over and okay tomorrow. He changed and prepared to turn in. He took the second room on the second floor, his parents took the first room while Hyuna took the room nearest to the staircase. She refused to take the room she had chosen earlier. Just as Baekhyun was about to switch off the lights, Hyuna knocked on his door. Surprised, he opened his door and let her in.

"Can I... sleep with you? I can take the bunk bed at the top." Hyuna's eyes were glued to the floor as she requested shyly.

"What?! No!" The words came out a little too quickly and it was too late for Baekhyun to retract them. "I mean..."

"Never mind." Hyuna mumbled and left, disappointment apparent from her frown. Baekhyun swallowed, he badly wanted to call out to her and apologise. He regretted his choice of word but before he could react, he heard Hyuna's bedroom door shutting. He sighed. I can always apologise to her tomorrow. He closed his door too and tried to fall asleep. He stared out of the window from where he was lying, the winds were stronger now. Some of the young and small trees were bent at an extreme angles, at the brim of breaking. The sound of the winds were so disturbing that he could not fall asleep. He grabbed a earpiece from his bedside table and stuffed it in his ears. Hmm...Much better! Soon, his eyelids grew heavy...heavier and heavier...

 

The grandfather clock in the living room sounded as it struck midnight. 3 Distinct and distant bell sounded. Baekhyun was sound asleep and did not register that noise. The door knob turned and the door was slightly pushed ajar. It took a small, first step into the room. It lifted its leg and took a second step. Baekhyun was slowly stirred awake. It was burning hot in the room. As he peeled open his eyes, he thought he heard heavy breathing noises. He paused and realised, it must be his earphone. He pulled it out, yet, the noises became louder. He held his breath as he surveyed his room, not daring to move an inch. As his eyes grew accustomed to the darkness, he made out a figure in his room. It looked liked it was wearing a black gown, there was a black veil, a wedding gown...... It was circling around the room slowly, systematically, one step every second. As he was sleeping on the lower of the two bunk beds, he could not really make out the face of the entity. The heavy breathing noises was what alerted Baekhyun from his intruder. He glanced around his room, he had nothing to defend himself. The best available option was the bedside lamp, which was slightly out of his reach. He wanted to scream, but his scream was choked in his throat as he realised the figure was moving nearer and nearer to his bed, to him. 

The figure bent down and Baekhyun closed his eyes tight, He could feel his hands trembling as he muttered prayers in his heart. He could feel the figure's breath on his face, the sound resounded in his ear drums. Finally, the figure opened its mouth, a revoluting stench stinged his nostrils.

I am watching you. And will always be.

Then, a scream pierced the silence of the night.