That house

The forgotten house

That house

"Baekhyun? Will you help me carry this  huge luggage into the house first? And bring your sister along." Wiping off sweat with her sleeve, Baekhyun's mother, Jaye, resumed with the unloading of heavy equipments from the car. Their father, Leornard, known as Len for short, was trying to figure out what had happened to their car engine. As though it was not unfortunate enough that they had to move into this town, their car had broken down too. 

"This is a hopeless junk! I am calling the company to file a complain tomorrow!" Len yelled as he gave the old sedan a kick. He slammed the door of the car shut and sighed in dismay.

"But...I really don't fancy the idea of going there in the first." Hyuna, Baekhyun's twelve year old sister complained. She gazed at the intimidating old house. It was a 2 storey bungalow, with an old coat of white paint. The trees surrounding the house had shedded its leave, the grass in the front yard were overgrown with weeds. Hyuna could not help but shiver. 

"Excuse me, you have me here with you!" Baekhyun boasted as he led the way. Hyuna followed her eighteen year old brother grudgingly. When they reached the house, Baekhyun precariously climbed out the cement steps and placed the luggages aside. He with a bundle of keys his father gave him. He eyed the key hole of the Kerala style wooden front door, without further hesitation, he picked out the largest key in the bundle. He pushed the keys into the key hole and tried turning it clockwise, but the door did not budge. After turning the key anti-clockwise, the door gave a satisfying click and with a slight push, the door opened. After some creaking of the hindges, the door was finally wide open, allowing sufficient space for Baekhyun to enter with his luggages. To his surprise and relief, the interior of the house resembled an actual house. There were basic furnitures and fortunately, it was not as musty and dusty as he expected it to be. Hyuna immediately felt welcomed and followed suit. Carrying her teddy bear and pink suitcase, she skipped into the house. 

"Can I pick my room first?" Hyuna flashed her teeth in an attempt to smile innocently.

"I pretty sure you are going to take the biggest room. That's unfair!" Baekhyun rebutted jokingly. Hyuna stuck out her tongue and proceeded to explore the house herself, dropping her suitcase and teddy bear on the couch. Baekhyun decided to take a tour around the house too. He noted that despite its looks on the outside, the house was pretty huge. There were 5 rooms in the ground floor- A living room, a dining area, a reasonably spacious kitchen, a store room and a room which he presumed to be an extra room since it was empty. He then climbed up the staircase which led to the second floor. The stairs groaned under his weight and every step Baekhyun took, he could not help but fear for his safety. When he finally made it to the top, he heaved a sigh of relief. There were 3 rooms, all equipped with either bunk or a queen-sized bed. He thought to himself: This might be the end of my blissed life in the city, but it might also be the start on my equally peaceful life in this town!

"Baekhyun! Hyuna! Come down and help me carry these up please!" His mother's words broke his train of thoughts. Carefully making his way down the staircase, he went over to the living room. He picked up a satchel bag and heaved it over his shoulder and picked up another black luggage. 

"Mind if I leave it in that room?" Baekhyun pointed towards the empty room using his leg as his hand was occupied. She nodded her head.

"Wait a minute, where is your sister?"

"She couldn't wait to explore the house, she should be somewhere around here. Hyuna? Hyuna!" Silence was the only reply. The silence soon became so resounding that Baekhyun could not stand it.

"Hyuna? Can you hear me? Come to the living room right now!" Soon, Baekhyun heard footsteps rushing down the staircase. There was her sister, sobbing as she ran down the stairs.