Chapter 6 Part 1

Miniature Matchmakers

[A/N] I hope none of y'all are lactose intolerant bc this story is gonna be FILLED with cheese from now on ;) 

 

 

It's the dead of night—actually just ten o'clockand Luhan eases the front door open, swiftly letting it fall shut with a gentle click as he steps off the threshold and then the porch. Glancing back at the house, he makes sure no lights are on, signifying that his dad might have heard him leave; it's quiet so he breathes a tiny sigh of relief. The boy walks around to the side of his house, hands deep in his hoodie pockets due to the chilly air and then stops right under his bedroom window. There, he waits, busying himself with looking up to the radiant sky scattered with twinkling stars.

     A rustle by the tree a few feet from him diverts his attention and he sees a dark cloaked figure emerge, making its way towards the little boy. Luhan watches as it stops right in front of him, towering over his small frame like a bad omen.

     "Hyung, you look like Darth Sidious from Star Wars." The boy quips as the figure pushes back the hood, revealing Jongin, chuckling.

     "'Come to the Dark Side~'" Jongin jokes, mimicking the voice of the Dark Lord. This makes Luhan laugh but he quickly dies it down in case his father hears it and comes investigating.

     "Do you have," he starts, pausing to take a hasty look around to again make sure that no one is in hearing range. "The stuff?" Jongin takes a fleeting glance around himself as well before reaching into his long coat and producing a large jar. Though it's almost pitch black outside, Luhan can still make out that the contents inside are moving.

     "That's awesome, Jongin! How did you get so many of them?" The boy asks, still staring at the jar with a grin on his face.

     "I... know a person," Jongin answers rather cryptically and places the jar carefully back into his coat. They wouldn't want to risk either one of them dropping these things and infesting the wrong house.

     "Okay, you have to spread them all around Sehun's house or our plan won't work, will it?"

     "Yeah, of course Squirt, I know exactly where to put them. Don't worry your tiny little head off, I'll make sure it gets done." Jongin assures and playfully nudges the boy, smiling. Luhan laughs but their moment is abruptly cut short when the front door of Luhan's house swings open with a loud bang.

     "Zhang Luhan! What in fresh Hell are you doing out here? Do you know how late it is? I thought you were asleep!" The voice of Yixing thunders down at them and they turn to see the man in his silk robe, mud mask and curlers in hair state. He's stood glaring at them menacingly from the porch. Oh no! Dad! Luhan thinks and casts an equally shocked look at Jongin.

     Before anything else can happen that might reveal their plan, Jongin turns around and hightails his out of there. Luhan follows his example by trying to run back inside, only to get stopped by Yixing who is staring after Jongin with a squint.

     "Hold on, was that Jongin?"

     "Pfft, what? No? That wasn't him," Luhan says, nervously laughing in disbelief. "That was some man trying to kidnap me, Dad. Gosh, I was almost taken how could that have been Jongin?" Luhan hurries inside, hoping his father would just let him escape without further questioning.

     "Kidnap you? This is why you should have been in bed, young man! What were you even doing out there? What if a wild beast had gotten to you? Or maybe, what are those things called? Oh yeah, coyotes! I heard they come to neighbourhoods like this sometimes in the..." Yixing's ranting fades to Luhan's ears as he runs up the stairs, rolling his eyes at his dad's eccentric imagination. 

 

☆*:.。. .。.:*☆☆*:.。. .。.:*☆

 

As the days go by, every morning at school, Sehun updates Luhan of the condition of their house and the two giggle when they realize their plan is coming together very nicely.

     "This is going to be great, Luhan! I heard my daddy on the phone last night with Baekhyun and he seems really mad about what's happening." Sehun tells the other boy at recess as the two of them sit on the swings, going back and forth slowly. "It's only going to take a few more days before it might happen!"

     "That's so awesome, Sehun! But remember, we have to make sure everything falls into place just the way we want it to! Or else something will go wrong!"

     Later that afternoon, at pickup time, Luhan and Sehun skip hand in hand out to go greet their fathers and stop abruptly when they see Joonmyun in the distance, leaning on his car. What's made them stop so suddenly is that attached to the back of Joonmyun's car is a large storage cart.

     "Sehun, it looks like our plan is getting put into action quicker than we thought! Come on!" The two boys walk swiftly over to where Joonmyun is fiddling with his phone; he looks up and smiles when he hears them come up to him.

     "Hey boys! How was school today?" He asks and ruffles their hair. What is with adults and messing up kids' dos nowadays!

     "Fine, Dad. Why is there a huge cart on the car? Are we going somewhere?" Sehun questions and crosses his arms over his chest. Just as Joonmyun opens his mouth to answer, a car parks beside them and out comes Yixing, running a little late.

     "Sorry Lulu, I had a few loose ends to tie!" The man apologizes as he approaches the others. "Hey Sehun! Hey Joonmyun!" Yixing greets, fist bumping the boy and then giving his father a playful punch on the shoulder.

     "Hi," Joonmyun grins and was it just them or did Sehun and Luhan see stars, sparkles and happiness in Joonmyun's eyes?

     "What's going on? What's with the haul? Are you guys moving or something?" Yixing jokes but then, when he sees that Joonmyun is not laughing, he adds in a quick voice: "Wait no, I was kidding! Please say you aren't! We—I mean the kids were becoming so close!"

     "No-no! We're not moving anywhere, Yixing. We're just relocating for a while," Joonmyun elucidates. Yixing scrunches up his face in confusion and Joonmyun internally screams because, so! cute!

     "You see, it all started a few days ago; I don't know how they got in but everything just started to go to—excuse me for the language—hell." Joonmyun begins his tale of woe and Yixing hangs on to his every word.

     "One day I was sitting in my favourite chair, reading the newspaper before I had to leave for work and then suddenly, there was a huge crash and the next thing I know, I'm on the ground, completely stunned! That same evening, as I was getting ready for bed, I had just finished washing my face and opened a drawer in the washroom to get a face towel and I felt nothing. So, I used Sehun's and when my eyes adjusted, there was a big, gaping hole in the bottom of the drawer and the towel had fallen through!

     "Then, about two nights ago, Sehun and I were having dinner and just talking about our days when we heard a crack and then the table suddenly collapsed on us, taking all our food with it!

     "But the last straw was taken today, when I called some pest control people over to investigate and while I was explaining what happened to us, we were heading down the stairs. As I stepped on the third last step, it caved in on me and I went down! Yixing, it's been madness and I just can't take it anymore!"

     "What in the world? So what was it that was doing all those horrible things? Mice? Ants?" Yixing questions and gets a weary sigh from the other man.

     "It's termites, Yixing. I had my suspicions and the pest control guy confirmed it for me. But how did they even get in? It's not even termite season! Everything is just so confusing." The two adults shake their heads in disbelief, unbeknownst to their two quietly snickering sons. "So I finally packed up most of the things we could salvage and piled them into this cart. After I pick up Sehun, I was going to go searching for a hotel with a short notice vacancy while our house is getting fumigated."

     Yixing furrows his brows and purses his lips, several thoughts crossing his mind. Luhan nudges Sehun and leans to whisper in his ear.

     "This is it! This is our chance!"

     "Yeah, let's do it!"

     Clearing his throat, Luhan starts to speak. "Hey Dad, can th—"

     "Why don't you and Sehun come stay with us, Joonmyun?" Yixing blurts to the surprise of everyone, especially the two boys. This time, Sehun nudges Luhan to whisper in his ear.

     "Wow, we didn't even have to ask! Your dad did it all on his own!"

     "Oh goodness, I couldn't impose, Yixing. Really, we'd be fine at a hotel." Joonmyun reasons, shaking his hands to politely decline.

     "Are you kidding? Like I'd let you guys waste money on a hotel when Luhan and I have a home that's big enough for the two of you! Come on, it'll be fun!" Yixing insists and then crouches down to Sehun's level. "Whaddya say, Sehunnie? Wouldn't you want to stay at Luhan's house instead of a busy hotel?" He asks the kid and Sehun sends Luhan a sly look before answering.

     "Oh yes, Mr. Zhang! That would be so, so awesome! Pleaaase Dad! Can we please stay at Luhan's house instead?" Sehun pleads, throwing on his best kicked puppy look. Joonmyun looks like he's going to decline again but then Luhan joins in and pouts and the man bites his lip, trying so hard to refuse. The deal breaker is when Yixing catches onto the children's motives and he himself puts on a cute pout; now, Joonmyun knows he cannot refuse Yixing's offer, especially with those adorable expressions.

     "Okay fine, we'll stay at your house."

     "Yay!" The children and Yixing shout gleefully, highfiving each other while Joonmyun shakes his head at their silliness; still, with a smile on his face.

 

☆*:.。. .。.:*☆☆*:.。. .。.:*☆

 

"I know you guys have been here before but nevertheless, welcome to the Zhang residence! Our humble abode!" Yixing introduces as he opens the door and steps over the threshold. He s his hands out in a humorous way to show off the first floor as the others come clambering in. Joonmyun is holding their suitcases and bags while he ushers in the children who are too giddy with excitement. They left their cart and car in Yixing's garage because it would really be pointless bringing everything in when they'll probably be okay to move back into their house by the next week or so. Yixing was more than happy to park his car outside so that the cart could go in the garage, least anybody get the idea to try and steal any of Joonmyun and Sehun's valuables.

     "As I said the last time, what a wonderful place you have. The interior is quite homey. You have great taste, Yixing." Remarks Joonmyun while he's helping the children with their shoes and coats. He's so immersed in yanking off Sehun's left boot that he completely misses the way Yixing's cheeks slightly redden. Luhan and Sehun on the other hand, see it and share smug looks.

     "A-Alright, I'll show you to your rooms now then," stammers Yixing as he starts ascending the stairs. Luhan runs up to his father's side and the other two follow closely behind. Joonmyun suppresses a smirk when he thinks that he would be lying if he said he didn't like this view of Yixing.

     Once they all reach the top of the stairs, Yixing starts to lead them down the hallway but as they near the first door, Luhan rockets in front of him and bursts through it first.

     "This is my room!" He declares and motions for Sehun to come and check out his new toys. The boy quickly runs pass the parents and joins his friend, picking up some LEGGOS and getting to work.

     "Well, thankfully Luhan's room has enough space for the extra futon we have," Yixing says. "Sehun, you'll stay in here with Luhan, right?"

     "Of course, Mr. Zhang! It will be so much fun!" Sehun answers and high fives Luhan. The kids get preoccupied with their toys again and Yixing turns to Joonmyun who flashes him an expectant look paired with a small yet breathtaking smile.

     "Uh, so while the children are playing, I'll show you to your room then, Joonmyun." Yixing mumbles and turns on his heels. He leads the other man down the hallway again, passing a door before Yixing stops, nearly making Joonmyun collide with him. He offers the man a sheepish smile. "Sorry, I forgot to tell you guys but this is the bathroom." He says as he back-pedals and opens the door, showing Joonmyun the inside. "You and Sehun can both use this. I have a bathroom in my ensuite so Luhan and I can use that."

     "Noted," Joonmyun tells him. Yixing nods, closing the door and continuing on to the others. He finally stops at the second last door and opens it, revealing the guest room.

     "I hope it's to your liking."

     "Wow! This is so pretty, Yixing!" Joonmyun exclaims, placing his bags on the floor as he steps further into the room. His bare feet pad over the soft, wool carpet coloured frost with the slightest hue of light blue. There are stone coloured curtains covering the large double hung window and when Joonmyun opens them, he grins, marvelling the view overlooking the Zhangs' quaint backyard. All the furniture match and are a gorgeous hickory brown that go well with the queen sized bed's dark blue sheets and pillows. He looks over at Yixing and sees him watching him and flushes under his gaze.

      "U-Uh, that's a big bed! You can do loads of stuff on there!" As soon as the words come out of his mouth, Joonmyun just wants to chop his tongue off. Really? Why the hell did you just say that, you idiot! "The decor is spectacular! Is this really just a guest bedroom?" He says, trying to save himself from dwelling on his embarrassment.

     "Yeah, totally. I designed it all myself!" Yixing beams, his dimpled smile showing. "It's only natural that I know what pleases the eye." Joonmyun raises a brow at that and it's Yixing's turn to flush red.

     "Y-Yeah so this room is shades of blue and grey with dark brown to mellow everything out and my room is shades of my favourite colour, purple, and grey also with a touch green. I know what you're thinking, but the green isn't just green it's a juniper colour that pairs well with my eggplant sheets! And—" Yixing stops talking when he realizes that he's rambling nonsense and Joonmyun must be bored but his face shows quite the opposite, actually. He looks every bit intrigued as his subordinates are when he's imagining a project for them.

     "Heh, um yeah so my bedroom is just next door if you need anything, at all, whenever!" Oh, my God. You could not sound more stupider at this point. "Well, I'll leave you to get settled." Yixing turns to walk out but stops when he sees two heads poking out from the door.

     "Boys? What are you doing?"

     "N-Nothing!" They stammer together, sheepishly grinning at their fathers. In reality, they were trying to see if they could sneak a peek at some cute interactions of their dads so that they could gush to Baekhyun, Jongin and Chanyeol later.

     "Alright?" Yixing mutters, choosing not to question the children and their weirdness. "Well then I'll leave you tots to it and Joonmyun to unpack while I go start on dinner." He bids them goodbye but because he's Yixing, he jams his foot in the doorway and jumps back at the harsh sting. This makes him lose his footing and soon, he's falling back.

     "Yixing!" Joonmyun shouts as they watch the man stumble. Yixing squeezes his eyes shut to brace himself for impact but it never comes because luckily, Joonmyun rushes in time to catch him before he falls.

     "Dad!"

     "Mr. Zhang!"

     "Are you okay, Yixing?" The aforementioned man peeks an eye open and sees Joonmyun's face upside down and quite close. He's staring down at him in slight worry, brows furrowed and pink lips set in a small frown. Wow, he's even handsome from this angle...

     "Yixing?"

     "Huh? Oh! I'm fine, Joonmyun!" Yixing assures as he steadies himself back up and ignores the burn of his cheeks. "Thanks for catching me. You have great reflexes."

     "Oh that's nothing! You should see them when I have to quickly catch a kid before they catapult themselves off my examination table in fear!" A hearty chuckle at that later, Yixing finally goes downstairs and Joonmyun goes back to his unpacking, leaving the two children to happily walk back to Luhan's room.

     "Hey Luhan, we should start making a list to keep track of every time our dads are giggly and cutely embarrassed around each other!"

     "Oh, I couldn't agree more Sehun! Or should I call you, my future brother!"

 

☆*:.。. .。.:*☆☆*:.。. .。.:*☆

 

Later that night, Yixing creeps down the stairs a little after midnight wearing his full beauty regimen. He needed a few cucumber slices to soothe his eyes and forgot to bring them up earlier. Tip toeing across the floors to the fridge, Yixing tries his hardest to make as little noise as possible because 1) he didn't want to wake the kids; and 2) he really didn't want to wake Joonmyun and let him see him in this condition. How embarrassing!

     He finally gets to the fridge and opens it, taking the whole cucumber on the first shelf and brings it over to the counter. Yixing hums fairly quietly to himself as he chops a few thin slices off the fruit; then, he wraps it back tightly and returns it to the fridge, still humming. When Yixing grabs the slices and goes to head back upstairs, he stops dead in his tracks when he notices he's not alone anymore.

     Joonmyun stands in the doorway of the kitchen, leaning on the frame sporting an amused smile. Yixing takes in his appearance: hair tousled ily, bare arms shown from the muscle tank he's wearing and lean legs clad in Batman pj pants. If Yixing wasn't so surprised he'd probably comment on how rad those pants were and where he could get a pair for himself.

     Meanwhile, Joonmyun ranks in Yixing's appearance as well. Two medium sized rollers sit on top the man's fluffy black hair, nestled into his bangs: a dark grey mud mask covers his face, making the other man a little disappointed in not seeing Yixing's cute cheeks which are probably red like a tomato right about now. He's in a soft looking silk mint coloured robe and his feet are clad in two adorable looking bunny slippers that Joonmyun would love to know where he bought so he could get one too.

     "Well, this is rather... a very pleasant surprise." Joonmyun says, breaking the silence between the two. Coming back to reality, Yixing grins, cleary embarrassed and looks anywhere but at the man in front of him.

     "O-Oh hey Joonmyun! What... uh what are you doing up so late?"

     "I was actually just coming back from the bathroom and I heard quiet humming so I came to check it out and found you." Joonmyun explains with a chuckle. "That's quite the nightly routine you've got on there, Yixing."

     "Yeah, i-it's just my beauty regimen that I do a few times a week. Keeps my skin smooth as hell and my bangs bouncy!" Joonmyun walks closer to the self-conscious man and stares at his face. Yixing isn't sure what to do but Joonmyun speaks before he could ask what's wrong.

     "Oh my God, is that the Best Absolute Perfect Noir beauty mask?" He questions with a gleeful look in his eye.

     "Uh, yeah. Yeah it is! I always pick up a bottle or two when it comes back in stock! Do you use it too, Joonmyun?" Yixing questions, nervously playing with the edges of the bowl in his hands. Joonmyun was practically breathing the same air as him and his mind was racing with thoughts of how handsome the man was.

     "Of course! I love it so much but , that reminds me, I left mine in the storage cart." Joonmyun sighs, pouting his lips until an idea comes to mind. "Say, Yixing. Would you mind if I used yours for tonight?"

     "Mine? Oh, no problem, Joonmyun! Come on, it's in my bathroom." Yixing mentally applauds himself for not stuttering or doing anything else embarrassing while inviting Joonmyun up to his room. They climb the stairs and Yixing opens the door to his room, going towards his ensuite while leaving behind Joonmyun who's probably checking out his interior designs. Well I did blab to him about them today so at least now he'll see what I was talking about. Yixing muses to himself as he sets the cucumbers down and grabs the mud mask bottle.

     "Here you go—woah, sorry!" Yixing starts to say as he turns around but Joonmyun is standing right behind him and he nearly runs into him. They both laugh it off and Joonmyun apologizes for suddenly materializing behind Yixing and scaring him.

     "You know, these colours are amazing. Your curtains, uh what did you say the colour was?"

     "Juniper," Yixing supplies.

     "Juniper," Joonmyun repeats, his amazement shown clearly on his face. "The colour is pretty muted but it really does look nice with your sheets."

     "Thank you," Yixing says, shyly smiling down at his hands, thus seeing the mud mask bottle in them. "Oh yeah, here you go." He gives it to Joonmyun and the man takes it with a smile.

     "You mind if I put it on in your bathroom? It's just that it makes no sense for me to go back to the other bathroom then come back here then go ba---"

     "Yes, it's fine, Joonmyun." Yixing cuts him off with an up curl of his lips. He sounded very cute rambling, Yixing sighs as Joonmyun goes inside and shuts the bathroom door after getting permission. He pads through the carpet in his room, pacing around as another sigh leaves his lips. Dang me and my stupid crush on this guy! He probably isn't single! Ohhh why do I always fall for the most amazing people who are possibly off the market. Wait but I've only ever dated one person and that was Luhan's mom so how could I say 'always'? Jeez Xing even your thoughts make no sen—

     "Yixing?" The man is ripped from his silly thoughts when he hears Joonmyun call for him and he twists around seeing the other out of the washroom. "Thanks again for letting me use this! By the way, I love your towel."

     What?

     ! Yixing gasps when he realizes that Joonmyun obviously saw his unicorn towel hanging up in the bathroom. Oh great.

     "I-I got that from Luhan and my friends for my birthday a few years ago because I... like... unicorns..." Yixing explains, scratching the back of his head. Joonmyun smiles widely at Yixing's cute embarrassment, his eyes crinkling.

     "It's very adorable, Yixing. It's only natural that they'd get it to match its owner," he winks and starts to walk to the bedroom door. Yixing's face burns with the compliment and he turns to wave the man goodbye.

     "G-Goodnight, Joonmyun."

     "Goodnight, Yixing. Sweet dreams," the man waves back and disappears down the hallway. Yixing sighs for the umpteenth time but rather blissfully. He falls onto his bed face first only realizing a second too late that he's still wearing the mudmask.

     "Ah, !"

 


[A/N] Double update!