Chapter 1

Miniature Matchmakers

 

"Luhan! Are you ready yet? We don't want to be late for your first day of school!" A melodious voice calls for the boy fixing his brown hair in the bathroom mirror. Luhan takes another quick look at his reflection and shrugs, thinking that it was the best he could do before he's sprinting to his room to shove the rest of his things into his bag.

 
     Once he has forcefully zipped the bag closed, Luhan runs down the stairs and skids to a stop in the kitchen where his father is finishing up making his lunch. Luhan's eyes fall on the clock behind his dad and he groans when he sees that they already are late. As he waits for his dad to finish, Luhan sits on the island and ponders asking the questions he's been dying to ask ever since they got here a few months ago.
 
     "Dad, do you think I'll make any friends here in Korea? I don't know the language too well and I don't want them to make fun of me. What if they don't want to like me because I'm not like them?" He finally lets out, feeling like a weight's been lifted off his back. Yixing looks up, surprised with a tube of yogurt held in his mouth and his black bangs fallen in front of his face. He sighs and puts everything down as he leans his hands on the counter and looks at his son.
 
     "Lu, of course you will. Just because you're not from the same country as them doesn't mean they will treat you any differently. I promise you that you will make a friend as soon as you get there, alright?" Yixing assures as he ruffles the eight-year old's hair, much to his annoyance, but he smiles anyway because his dad always knows how to make him feel better.
 
     "Now, let's go Lulu! And grab your umbrella, it's pouring outside! We're gonna be so late!"
 
     "But, Dad! We already are late!"
 
 
Meanwhile, a few blocks over...
 
 
     "Sehun! Stop falling asleep! We're already late so come help me pack your lunch for today!" A voice shouts, jolting awake the boy that had drifted off on the couch with a startle. Sehun yawns loudly and ambles along to the kitchen where his father flits around as he gets everything ready for the both of them. "Did you not fall asleep when it was your bed time, Bunny? It's not good for a little boy like you to stay up!" Joonmyun scolds as he hands his son a small bushel of grapes to pluck and put into each of their snack containers.
 
     "I know, Dad. I'm sorry, I tried to go to bed early last night but I was too excited! Remember, our teacher told us that we are getting a new student today! One from China!" Joonmyun stops as he stuffing a sandwich into another container and stares at Sehun with confused eyes until they clear up and he let's out a 'oh!'
 
     "Ah yes, I remember now." Joonmyun agrees as he zips up their lunch bag and heads to the closet to get their umbrellas. "Sehun, you should be friends with them. They must be scared for their first day and maybe they think that no one would want to be their friend since they aren't from here. I want you to be nice to them, okay? Make sure you be friends with them."
 
     "Yes, of course Dad," replies Sehun as he puts on his rain gear. "I was planning on befriending them anyway!"
 
     "That's my boy. Now put on your hood, it's pouring outside!" Joonmyun ushers Sehun out of the house and locks the front door. Then they both rush to their car under the falling rain and safely make it inside only a little bit wet. As Joonmyun starts to drive, Sehun sits in the back seat and stares out the window as rain pelts against the glass. The town blurs as they pass it and all Sehun can think of is what this person might be like. He just couldn't wait to get to school!
 
     As Joonmyun drives into the drop off section of the school, the place is empty save for them. The dark brunet checks his watch and sees that they're twenty minutes late for class and he groans under his breath. Joonmyun grabs his big umbrella and steps out of the car to get to Sehun's side. Once he's out too, both of them start to walk to the steps of the school but Sehun looks up and notices someone he doesn't recognize, sitting on the stairs.
 
     "Dad, I think that's the new student!" Sehun says as they approach the bottom of the steps.
 
     "Oh my, why is he sitting there? Maybe he's too scared to go inside... Sehun, this is your chance to be friendly! Go on, and have a great day, Bunny." Joonmyun kisses his son's cheek and makes sure he's under the roof before he waves and runs back to his car. Sehun looks at the boy and sees him playing with his fingers as he looks down. The boy takes a deep confident breath in and walks right up to him.
 
     "Hello, are you the new student?" Sehun asks as he brushes the spot next to him before sitting down. It's stopped raining so Sehun puts away his umbrella. The boy looks up, startled when Sehun speaks but he relaxes and smiles.
 
     "Yes, I am. My name is Zhang Luhan. I moved here a few months ago from China."
 
     "My name is Kim Sehun." Sehun introduces himself and holds out his hand for Luhan to take. The other boy's smile widens and he happily takes Sehun's hand, shaking it with vigour. "By the way, Luhan, why are you sitting out here for? Don't you want to go inside and meet everyone else in our class?"
 
     "I do, but I don't have my lunch," Luhan explains with a sigh. "My dad packed it but he forgot to give it to me when he dropped me off. But don't worry, he usually forgets all the time so he will be back soon." Sehun nods but purses his lips in confusion.
 
     "How come your mom can't pack your lunch for you instead? Does she forget like your dad too?" A wistful frowns crosses Luhan's features for a split second before it's gone in a blink of an eye.
 
     "My mom isn't in this world anymore. She past away when I was three years old. I don't remember much about her but my daddy loved her a lot." He answers and Sehun immediately feels bad.
 
     "I'm sorry for asking, Luhan," Sehun says. "But if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a mommy either. My dad said that mom left us when I was born but he won't tell me where she went."
 
     "Really?" Luhan wonders with wide eyes.
 
     "Yeah, the only thing she left for me was my bunny plushie, Bugs. I have him---" Sehun opens his bag but a frown turns down his lips when his aforementioned stuffed animal is no where to be seen. "Oh no, he's not here!" The black haired boy wails with tears in his eyes. Luhan sees his sadness and scoots closer, patting his back sympathetically.
 
     "Don't worry, Sehun. Your dad must have forgotten to give it to you like mine. I'm sure that they will be here in no time!" Luhan reassures the other boy and Sehun nods, wiping his tears. Less than a few seconds later, the two boys' attention is diverted when they hear the screech of wheels coming towards them. Both Sehun and Luhan look ahead to see their father's cars skid to a stop in the drop off section and they see them rush out of their vehicles and run towards them. Unfortunately, neither men see the large puddles in front of them and they both slip in the water and go down hard.
 
     "Is that your dad?" Sehun and Luhan ask at the same time as they watch their fathers' struggle to get up. Yixing groans when he sees that Luhan's lunchbox has opened and as he goes to pick up the items, he sees a hand shoot out to help him. Yixing turns back and sees Joonmyun smile at him as he helps him pick up Luhan's lunch and he shyly smiles in return. Luhan and Sehun watch as their dads finish but as they get up, they both move too fast and gracefully knock their heads against one another.
 
     The two boys giggle as they observe both their dads awkwardly apologize to the other and laugh as they apologize again for interrupting the other. In the end, Yixing thanks Joonmyun for helping him and Joonmyun says that it wasn't a problem. They both grin and walk more calmly to their sons and deliver the items they forgot to give in the morning.
 
     Joonmyun hands Sehun his slightly damp stuffed animal before he kisses his head and waves to his son. Sehun's eyes don't miss when his dad looks towards Luhan's dad a last time before he jogs back to his car; even Luhan doesn't miss that. Yixing apologizes to Luhan for forgetting his son's lunch again but the boy reassures his dad that he doesn't mind. Sehun watches as Luhan's dad says something to him in in their language before he's waving goodbye and leaving.
 
     When he's gone, Luhan whips his head towards Sehun the raven can see the other boy's eyes are wide and sparkling. A grin stretches his lips as Luhan squeals out of nowhere.
 
     "Sehun! Did you see that?" Luhan asks, bouncing in place. Sehun looks all around him with a confused expression before he turns back to Luhan and shakes his head. Luhan groans loudly and rolls his eyes. "Did you not just see the connection our dads just had?!" Sehun's previous confusion clears up and his mouth makes a huge 'O'.
 
     "Yes! They were so awkward and cute! And my dad kept looking at yours!"
 
     "And don't they look really good together?"
 
     "They do, Luhan!"
 
     "So, are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Luhan questions, his smile growing wider by the second and Sehun has started to mirror him.
 
     "I think so...!"
 
     "Both of us don't have mothers and our dads don't have partners. They look really nice together... we should set them up!"
 
 

 

 

 


[A/N] Does this seem exciting? If it does, then press that subscribe button! I’m sure you won’t regret it! :D

Comment, sub or upvote to make me smile!

Until the next update, Lovelies~


소니아 (\_/)