Chapter 2

Miniature Matchmakers

 

The shrill ringing of the bell gets everyone's attention and kids start scrambling to pack up their toys and grab their lunch bags. Luhan and Sehun tidy up their station more calmly before they walk over to their cubbies and get their bags. The two little tykes then pick a spot over where the window is and plop themselves down as they dig into their bags and bring out their neatly packed lunches.
 
     "So how do you think we should make our dads fall in love?" Luhan asks with his cheeks stuffed with bites of his sandwich. Sehun pops a grape into his mouth and purses his lips in thought.
 
     "What about we give them a love potion! Like in the movies! I remember seeing this one with my dad where the bad lady gave the good guy a dr–"
 
     "Sehun," Luhan interrupts with a with an sigh, "love potions aren't real! They are just made up! But even if they were, where would we get some?" Sehun pouts and sips on his juice, thinking that his idea wasn't that bad.
 
     "So, anyway, what does your daddy do? Mine is an art director! But I'm not sure what it means." Luhan frowns and sips his own juice box while he waits for Sehun to chew before he can answer.
 
     "My daddy is a doctor for kids! I can't pronounce the real word for it but my dad helps a lot of kids when they aren't feeling very good." Just as Sehun finishes speaking, Luhan's face lights up with what can only be described as an idea popping into his head.
 
     "I just thought of a great plan!" He exclaims as he leans over and whispers it into Sehun's ear. As Sehun listens to Luhan's words, his eyes grow wide and he pulls back to grin at the other boy.
 
     "I like it! When school is done, we can wait for our dads together and then we can put your plan into action!"
 
 
 
☆*:.。.~.。.:*☆☆*:.。.~.。.:*☆
 
 
 
At the telltale ring of the bell at three thirty sharp, little bodies come running out into the pouring rain in search of their parents.
 
     But even though Luhan and Sehun both have raincoats, they wait at the front entrance until most of the kids have gone. Sehun sees his dad with an umbrella standing by a tree and when he catches his son's eye, Joonmyun tells him to put on his hood and come over. Sehun shakes his head and motions for his dad to come over instead and even from the distance, he can tell his dad is sighing.
 
     When Joonmyun walks over, he playfully knock his son's head. "What's up, Bunny? Usually you're one of the first ones to come running out."
 
     "Well I stayed back because I wanted to show you my new friend." Sehun replies and points over to where Luhan is standing shyly in the corner. Joonmyun blinks before he smiles sheepishly for not noticing the boy before. He crouches down and holds out his hand towards Luhan.
 
     "Hello there, I'm Sehun's dad: Kim Joonmyun. It's very nice to meet you." He greets and Luhan shakes his hand with a small smile.
 
     "Hi, I'm Zhang Luhan."
 
     "Luhan!" All three of them turn to see Yixing running up to them, his umbrella bobbing along with his head before he comes to a stop in front of them. "There you are! I was worried when I didn't see you run out with the rest of the kids." Yixing says as he ruffles his son's hair, much to his distaste. Joonmyun stands up then, catching Yixing's attention and when he sees who it is, his cheeks take on the slightest shade of pink.
 
     "Hello again, you must be Luhan's dad. I'm Kim Joonmyun and this is my son, Sehun." Joonmyun says as he s out his hand for Yixing to shake too. Yixing fumbles with his umbrella, shifting it to the other hand so he can shake Joonmyun's.
 
     "Zhang Yixing." He supplies and then leans down to Sehun's level. "Hello, Sehun. Aren't you just a cutie!"
 
     "I am!" Sehun chirps making Joonmyun pinch his ears before a wide smile stretches his lips when Yixing giggles. Sehun pouts up at his dad but then turns to Yixing and tugs on his pants. "Mr. Zhang, can my dad and I walk with you and Luhan to the parking lot? I want to talk to him more before we go home."
 
     "I don't see why not. If that's okay with your dad?" Yixing looks to Joonmyun for confirmation and when the man nods his head, he gives Sehun a thumbs up. Immediately the little boy latches onto Luhan's arm and starts to talk his ear off—something about a Spiderman versus Hulk battle and who would win out of the two.
 
     Meanwhile, the two adults hold both umbrellas over their children and try to make small talk as the rain pours down all around them.
 
     "I still want to thank you for helping me pick up Luhan's lunch this morning. If you weren't there it probably would've gotten more soaked and he wouldn't be able to eat it. So, thanks, again." Yixing says, smiling sheepishly to the other man.
 
     "No problem, Yixing. I was glad to help!" Joonmyun answers back, smiling wider before they awkwardly turn their heads and both look away. Yixing doesn't turn again until he hears Joonmyun clear his throat. "So, um, I'm still very sorry about bumping into you this morning. I hope your head is fine?" Joonmyun asks, peering around Yixing's temple to see if it took any actual damage.
 
     Yixing chuckles, "I'm fine, Joonmyun. It's nothing to worry about."
 
     "Oh, that's a relief. My mother always told me I was such a hard head so I just wanted to make sure you weren't actually hurt." He jokes and it brings a quiet giggle from Yixing.
 
     "Really? My mother used to tell me that too so I could say the same for you as well. That and that I'm such a klutz, I might accidentally trip and take out a whole crowd with me one day!" Another round of laughing gets the attention of the two boys and Luhan grins when he looks up to see their dads getting along so well. He grabs Sehun and shakes him with excitement.
 
     "Do you see that, Sehun? They look like they're having so much fun and they're not even talking about anything!" Luhan whispers, his voice almost an octave too high but the adults don't seem to hear him.
 
     "But I can see my daddy's car over there. We have to do your plan fast before we get there!" Sehun whispers back and Luhan bites his lip before he nods and straightens his back. Luhan strides out from under the safety of the umbrellas when he sees the car and pretends to be running towards it. Yixing's attention is diverted from Joonmyun when he sees his son run off and before he can call him back to prevent him from falling or getting soaked by the rain, it's too late.
 
     Luhan's giggles are cut off by a short cry and both the adults and Sehun watch as he takes a tumble and falls face first into the concrete ground. A few seconds pass before the sound of him crying overtakes the pounding rain.
 
     Yixing immediately dashes toward his son and crouches down, pulling him into his arms as Joonmyun and Sehun reach them. He tries to shush his crying but then he sees Luhan holding onto his right ankle and he fears the worst.
 
     "Luhan! Did you hurt your foot? Can you move it?" By now, Yixing has quieted his son's sobs but when Luhan tries to roll his ankle, he lets out another deafening shriek and clutches his leg. Yixing pales and runs a shaky hand through his hair. "Oh God, what am I supposed to do? I haven't registered you for a doctor yet!" He frets and then sees Joonmyun standing beside him. "Joonmyun! Do you know any walk-in clinics around here?"
 
     "Actually, I'm a paediatrician. I can take a look at Luhan's injury at my own clinic. It's not too far from here so you can follow me in your car." Joonmyun announces, literally like an angel coming to save Yixing. He thanks Joonmyun over and over as he picks up Luhan and place him in his seat.
 
     When Joonmyun drives out of the school parking lot, Yixing's right behind him in his own car and in less than ten minutes, they arrive at Joonmyun's clinic. Yixing follows Joonmyun and Sehun inside, carrying Luhan all the way to a private room in Joonmyun's section upstairs.
 
     With instructions, Yixing places Luhan on the crinkly wax paper and stands back with Sehun to let Joonmyun examine Luhan's leg. Throughout the whole examination, Yixing paces the limited space around him and chews on his thumbnail until Sehun himself has to turn around and reassure him that his daddy is the best at helping kids so Luhan will be okay.
 
     And he was right, Luhan had only suffered a minor sprain on his ankle but it wasn't too serious so he was alright. When Yixing, relieved, excuses himself to the bathroom and Joonmyun goes to get some gauze to wrap around Luhan's leg, Sehun shuffles over and leans on the bed.
 
     "I can't believe you actually hurt yourself, Luhan! I thought you were just going to pretend!" The little boy hisses with a frown.
 
     "I was going to pretend but I didn't see this rock on the ground and I fell on it. But, at least the plan still worked!" Luhan exclaims before he shuts his mouth as Joonmyun comes back. As he wraps the fabric around Luhan's leg and helps him off the bed in favour for the chair by the door, Yixing comes back in.
 
     "Thank you so much, Joonmyun. I don't know what I would've done if you weren't there. Again." Yixing smiles, coming to stand beside his son. "Actually, I was wondering if I can register Luhan with you? Um, you know since we're already here and uh you're here too and you're a paedi–" Joonmyun cuts him off, chuckling quietly as he does.
 
     "Yes, of course you can, Yixing. I would love to have Luhan as an addition to my patients. Just tell me your..." Luhan and Sehun both tune out what their dads are saying but their eyes are still trained on how they interact with each other.
 
     "Hey Luhan, can you see them living in one house? Because, I can."
 
     "I can too, Sehun. I can also see you and me sharing a room! We could have bunk beds!"
 
     "Oh my God, bunk beds?! I call the top one!"
 
     "Hey, no fair!"
 
     "Luhan, come on, it's time to go." Yixing says, walking over to his son and helping him out of his chair. As he walks to the closed door, Yixing turns back to say something. "Thank you for everything, Joonmyun. We'll see you around. Bye, Sehun!"
 
     "Bye, Mr. Zhang! Bye Luhan!"
 
     "Feel better, Luhan. Goodbye, Yixing." Joonmyun says and gives the pair a heartwarming smile. Yixing's stunned for a moment before he nods and abruptly turns—forgetting about the closed door.
 
     Whack! Yixing's face slams into the hard plastic screen and he stumbles back, a bit disoriented until he shakes his head and stands up properly. He turns back around and smiles in embarrassment when he sees the alarm on Joonmyun and Sehun's face.
 
     "Um, there's the klutz part of me I was talking about." He says with a nervous laugh before he feels a tiny spread of warmth on his nose. Yixing reaches a finger up to touch the area and when he pulls it back, he groans at the sight of fresh blood.
 
     "Hang on, I'll get you a band aid," Joonmyun says and rummages through his drawers until he produces a small Batman band aid, perfect for covering tiny cuts. "Sorry, Yixing, but this is all I have." He murmurs as he peels off the white film. Before Yixing can protest and say he'll do it himself, Joonmyun has already placed it on his cut and is smoothing it down.
 
     "T-Thanks," Yixing mumbles and Luhan peers up to see a light blush on his dad's cheeks. He looks across the room and meets Sehun's eye, grinning when the boy shoots him a thumbs up. Yixing properly opens up the door this time and waves one last time to the Kims before he walks out with Luhan.
 
     Joonmyun chuckles and shakes his head as he tosses the film into the garbage. "I've never seen so much cuteness in a grown adult before." He sighs in a quiet voice but Sehun hears him well enough.
 
     "What did you say about Luhan's dad, Daddy?" Joonmyun gapes like a fish, his cheeks burning and Sehun's expression turns smug.
 
     Meanwhile, in Yixing's car as they drive back home, Luhan could not stop gushing about Sehun and his dad.
 
     "—and he gave me the red truck he picked up today. He said I could have it since I was new! Mr. Kim is nice just like his son too! When he was looking at my foot, he was so careful, Dad! He is the best doctor I ever had! Much better than Dr. Wang! At least he didn't tell me I should eat more vegetables!"
 
     "But Lu, vegetables are good for you."
 
     "I know, Dad! But they're yucky! Even Sehun thinks so. He had a baggie of celery and when he ate one, he made this funny face and said it was sour. But the funny face he made was so cute, I laughed! Sehun is very cute, Dad! He's like a bunny---that's why his dad calls him that! How cute!" Luhan raves on for another few minutes before Yixing sees his eyes drop in the rearview mirror and sighs.
 
     "Sehun's dad is pretty cute too." He whispers but Luhan hears that just before he drifts off and he then falls asleep with a wide grin on his lips.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

[A/N] Double Update!